mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quality? From chinese light?
    Open it up and resolder wires to driver's pcb, its easy:
    http://i.imgur.com/00TSyMuh.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Good news, I got the light today! Bad news, the lenses look way too small. Worse news...well:Attachment 832681
    Awe man, bummer. That's some solar storm-level nonsense there

mtbr member
    That's how it came. It came in a bag in a box with the rest of the stuff. The bag has a hole in it, and the box is scuffed up. Everything else seems fine, though. I've wired it back together. We'll see how long it holds up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good news, I got the light today! Bad news, the lenses look way too small. Worse news...well:Attachment 832681
    Thx for the quick feedback! Damn, really hope you can fix the light. I 'm looking forward to my "modular"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am also thinking of ordering another light to compare it with Solarstorm X2. Does anyone have light mentioned in this topic and X2 and can compare them?

Also this one looks interesting:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022462
    Anyone tried it yet?

I would like to try XML2 light, but there is not too many to chose from (suitable for helmet use). Is difference between xml u2 and xml2 noticable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes View Post
    I am also thinking of ordering another light to compare it with Solarstorm X2. Does anyone have light mentioned in this topic and X2 and can compare them?
    I have both, but I've yet to go on a ride with them. The 880 clone has a smoother progression from its hot spot to the edges, but that's expected from an OP reflector. The smooth reflectors on the SS X2 are a weak point. There are hitches and gaps in the beam pattern.

At 100% they're really pretty comparable in brightness - plenty bright for any trail riding I'll be doing. There's a big gap between mid and high with the SS X2 and a big gap between low and mid with the 880 clone. I do like the UI of the 880 clone much more. One switch for power, one to toggle between modes. The X2 goes dark after high, with its one button.

I'll write up some more after I go for my first ride, though that probably won't be until next week. Damn that whole 'having to earn my paycheck' thing!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's how it came. It came in a bag in a box with the rest of the stuff. The bag has a hole in it, and the box is scuffed up. Everything else seems fine, though. I've wired it back together. We'll see how long it holds up.
    Ridiculous!

How's the beam shape on this thing?

I'm looking forward to your review.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone have a photo of the clone next to a real MJ-880?
    I just saw my first MJ-880 in person last week and was impressed by how small it was.
    But the clone isn't the exact same, so I'm curious how it compares in overall size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Does anyone have a photo of the clone next to a real MJ-880?
    I just saw my first MJ-880 in person last week and was impressed by how small it was.
    But the clone isn't the exact same, so I'm curious how it compares in overall size.
    I can take measurents when I get home, but the unit is definitely small. I can't imagine it being much smaller for a 2x unit. Additionally, I believe the lighthead unit itself weighs 135 grams.

mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

I've had a couple of night rides on my SSX2 and this 880 clone, now, and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the combination.

The 880 clone has a smooth beam patten with a gradual transition from spot to flood. Perfect for running on the bars. Low mode was great for climbing, and high was super bright, giving me no pause for speed on a couple of descents I'm fairly familiar with, though have only ridden a few times at night. The UI is great - one button for on/off, and another for low/mid/high (hold for strobe). Really, really like it, except for it being delivered with a severed cord. On my latest (longer) ride, I went for a two hour ride at dusk, ran it on low for an hour, and high for a half hour and never had it change from green.

The SSX2 was good, but not great. Their low and high intensities were pretty similar, but the mid on the 880 clone was much, much brighter than the SSX2. Often, I ran the X2 on mid while I had the 880 clone on low. Side by side, the X2 beam was brighter, but since the X2 was on my helmet, I had to have it brighter for it to not be overpowered by my bar light. On full bright, the X2 was great in the short to mid range, but diffused too much beyond 20 feet or so.

The other issue I had with the SSX2 is the beam pattern. My smooth reflector has a little lip in the middle (a defect), which causes a slightly darker spot in the middle of the hot spot. I'll bet it'd be just fine if it didn't have that problem.

In short, this is a pretty good setup for the kind of riding I'll be doing. I might be on the lookout for a helmet mount with better throw, though.
    Last edited by kragu; 10-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Interesting. I'm planning on using the 2x on my helmet with a 3x on my bars. On my short rides so far with both mounted on the bar (3x aimed downward, 2x aimed straight out), I was very pleased with the throw of the 2x. Add to that, since a helmet light has to be versatile to see both long distance and near distance (such as navigating through turns), this light seems ideal. I guess I won't know exactly how ideal it is though until I actually mount it to the helmet.

mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Interesting. I'm planning on using the 2x on my helmet with a 3x on my bars. On my short rides so far with both mounted on the bar (3x aimed downward, 2x aimed straight out), I was very pleased with the throw of the 2x. Add to that, since a helmet light has to be versatile to see both long distance and near distance (such as navigating through turns), this light seems ideal. I guess I won't know exactly how ideal it is though until I actually mount it to the helmet.
    The other issue I had with the SSX2 is the beam pattern. My smooth reflector has a little lip in the middle (a defect), which causes a slightly darker spot in the middle of the hot spot. I'll bet it'd be just fine if it didn't have that problem.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You should add this to your previous post. Also, for reference, when I use '2x' here I am referring to the K/D 880 clone. I've never used a SSX2, but I am very much interested in how the 2x compares to the SSX2 and other similar lights. I just didn't want to confuse other people who might be reading this, or myself

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just order one on KD too. Coud you give me please the diameter of the lense from the Kaidomain Xml U2 light ?

On Actions led the wide angle lens is out of stock. I want buy one on another site.

Thanks

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    there is now the head-only version at KD: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641 :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    there is now the head-only version at KD: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641 :-)
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Let's make a small refresh of this thread. My light just came yesterday from KD, seems to have the same driver, LEDs on white circles, XM-Ls

Quote Originally Posted by 0zeo View Post
    I just order one on KD too. Coud you give me please the diameter of the lense from the Kaidomain Xml U2 light ?
    Perhaps responding too late. The lens is 20 mm, the reflector seems to be 20 x 14 mm, but Kir measured 21 x 14 mm

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Ordered a clone and the Action LED lens for the 880 with high hopes that it will fit and give me a bright flood for my bars. I don't suppose anyone's already attempted this combo?
    Kragu, so did you try this lens? Maybe I will replace the lens too for some TIR lens like this or this

Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Since nobody posted any reviews yet...
    Some technical details:
    2 leds in series, current on leds in 3 modes - 0.58A-1.53A-2.36A
    Kir, what voltage did you use to measure these numbers?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Its a current on leds, its regulated to stay the same regardless of the input/battery voltage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, didn't read that properly it is on leds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If someone is searching for good low price Panasonic 3400mAh litium cells to replace the crappy ones which normally comes with most of the chinese lights just check:

panasonic NCR18650B with 3400mAh are just a few bucks less than at fasttech - Klick for link! (coupon bgf113)

get the protected ones here (coupon bgf120)

I just hit the button
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi!

This is my first post but I've been following this part of the forum for quite a while.

Sorry if this isn't quite the right palce to post this, but here it goes:

I've been using a single XML light (magicshine 808 clone) on the bars for about a year and i'm looking to add another light to my set up.

I'm thinking on moving the single XML to my helmet and getting a dual XML for my bars.

I've read this entire thread plus the one on the solarstorm X2 and the one on the gemini duo clones (yes i'm looking for a cheap light), and I'm not shure wich is the best option for a bar light, so help is much apreciated!

I'm leaning towards the mj 880 clone. The beam seems to be not as focused as on the X2, bulding quality and heat dissipation seems to be better than average and I specialy like the UI (no need to go trough flashing and off while changing modes).

Oh, and I like the possibility of replacing the cells in the batery holder with better ones when they die.

Seems this clone doesn't raise the same interest as the X2 or the gemini clones (judging from the number posts in this tread) but i does look like a better option in my opinion, I'm i wrong?

I also like the beam patern of the gemini clone, but the fact that I have to cycle trough off while changing modes, puts me off.

I realise there are different versions of the mj-880s with diferent power outputs.
    Like this one with 1.8A circuitry and 580 lm (could that be right?)

LetterFire LF-20 2 x Cree XM-L T6 580lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I'm thinking about this one, as it comes (supposedly) with XM-L2 emiters:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/Details.S021521

Is Kaidomain a reliable seller?

With the current li-ion batteries/air mail situation, i'm i likely to get it delivered with no problems?

Also, i understand Kir got his clone from this seller and he measured decent current draw (I know that doesn't mean much and this is light roulete)

Thank's in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1. Yes, KD seems to be quite reliable I got the same light as Kir after a long time.
    2. No, MJ-880 clone is an XM-L U2 - confusing description.
    3. I have 2 SS X2 from lightmalls and 2 880 clones from KD. Both draw nearly the same from battery. SS X2 is a good helmet light and the 880 clone with TIR optics is a good bar light. I recently ordered 15 degree TIR lenses to replace one lense in each of the 880 clone and I might buy another two wider lenses to give outer leds wider beam. The battery pack from KD arrives by surface/ground post. THe light and stuff you get by airmail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am considering this headunit only http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641
    I am also confused about XML2 description. It clearly says KD 2 x Cree XM-L2 U2
    So if emitters are XML 2*U2 then I expect 2 light units as it says 2xCree bla bla bla. I see the pictures there are old XMLs but still...
    Whats up with that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    I am considering this headunit only http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641
    I am also confused about XML2 description. It clearly says KD 2 x Cree XM-L2 U2
    So if emitters are XML 2*U2 then I expect 2 light units as it says 2xCree bla bla bla. I see the pictures there are old XMLs but still...
    Whats up with that?
    The one I bought a few months ago was XML U2, but it was stated as such in the description. It didn't say XM-L2 at the time. I would say that they must have recently upgraded the LED to XM-L2.

The description of XM-L2 U2 is written the same as for the 3x unit they sell. I sent them an email when I ordered my 3x XM-L2 U2 light and they confirmed over email that it was an XM-L2. It arrived and was indeed an XM-L2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Honestly I don't know, maybe they changed emitters for XM-L2 and didn't updated the pictures. But I have 2 x 880 clones and both are XM-L U2.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast