K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

Printable View

• 04-06-2015
    -Archie-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Well as long as I had to wait for the optics from FastTech to arrive, ordered the complete set of triangular head drivers that -Archie- found for me on Amazon. Worked great, and a good thing too because I had to take that little sucker apart a good many times trying to figure out the easiest way to mod it without a workshop.

Great! BTW, what size of screwdriver fits? Just curious to check whether I have correct triangular bit for that light, in case I'll ever encounter it in my practice...
  • 04-06-2015
    andychrist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Great! BTW, what size of screwdriver fits? Just curious to check whether I have correct triangular bit for that light, in case I'll ever encounter it in my practice...

It was the "Green" size. :p

Pretty sure that's the TA23.

Thanks again -Archie- and also bhocewar, the info and pics you posted were invaluable. :thumbsup:
  • 04-06-2015
    manbeer
    So I guess the consensus is that of all the dual xm-l budget lights out right now, this one has the best body in terms of mass and heat dissipation and is best suited to driving at higher currents? Does the kd2 driver swap over? Sorry for not reading the while thread but it's just beginning to catch my eye as the limitations of the kd2 are being reached
  • 04-06-2015
    garrybunk
    Ugh! You guys are now tempting me to buy another light! I do like that this light has more mass, a little more style, and better fins.

So, does the KD2 driver fit this light? Wait, you'd have the issue of dual switches. You'd have to disable one or rework the driver.

-Garry
  • 04-06-2015
    ledoman
    There is no need to disable the switch. It is you just don't have one under the button. I might take a look if somehow driver fits. But I doubt since stock one is mounted in the center lower edge.
  • 04-06-2015
    tigris99
    From looking at pics there's no way kd2 driver will fit. This has center screw holes, and kd2 attaches at the ends.
  • 04-06-2015
    tigris99
    Hey, let everyone know carclo and LEDDNA optics are the same size (I have 2 of every beam pattern of both places). Doesn't count holders but who uses them anyway lol.
  • 04-06-2015
    andychrist
    1 Attachment(s)
    What's up with those little tabs on the side of Carclo's 20mm lenses? Kinda hard to make out from the manufacturer's site but on LEDSupply they are more visible and look like they stick out from the rim. :skep:

Attachment 979149

Did yours come like that tigris?
  • 04-07-2015
    manbeer
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the oxyled version. Should be here thursday. I wasn't gonna do it but realized I needed a stupid bluetooth adapter and the buying finger had an itch
  • 04-07-2015
    -Archie-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    I wasn't gonna do it but realized I needed a stupid bluetooth adapter and the buying finger had an itch

:thumbsup::D
  • 04-07-2015
    garrybunk
    Quote:

What's up with those little tabs on the side of Carclo's 20mm lenses? Kinda hard to make out from the manufacturer's site but on LEDSupply they are more visible and look like they stick out from the rim. :skep:

Attachment 979149

Did yours come like that tigris?

According to the "Description" on LED Supply's webpage: "The tab on the outside edge of the optic secures the optic into a 26.5mm optic holder (shown in the above image)."

Here is an image of the Carclo holder:

-Garry
  • 04-07-2015
    andychrist
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    According to the "Description" on LED Supply's webpage: "The tab on the outside edge of the optic secures the optic into a 26.5mm optic holder (shown in the above image)."

-Garry

Huh, my iPad doesn't show the image they refer to in Description, guess it's the mobile site. But still, are these lenses designed only to fit in a holder? Because otherwise that tongue would keep the lens from sitting flush against the inner face of any bike lamp I know of. Plus there is yet another tab sticking up from the holder itself that would also interfere. Perhaps these lenses are designed for some specific lighting fixture not referenced on the site? Doesn't look like you could snap the tongue off from the lens without taking a hunk of the rim along with it either. Are there other 20mm Carclo optics without any such protuberance, that I'm missing? Was why I ordered my 20mm drop ins from FastTech and LEDDNA, their lenses were not adorned this way.

Also notice now, there appear to be two different style tabs: LEDSupply shows the tongue which sticks inward and wouldn't engage with any part of that holder, while Carclo's own site shows a tab under the side of the rim that actually would engage with the holder pictured on LEDSupply. :confused:

Attachment 979217

Not sure whether this line of Carclo's would be compatable with KDs or any other 20mm bike lamp head.
  • 04-07-2015
    Vancbiker
    Sometimes optics have the indexing feature to ensure correct orientation. Imagine an assembly line using elliptical optics. You would want a fast and foolproof way to align the beam pattern correctly.

Sometimes the holder is required to properly locate the emitter in the optic. Small differences in axial positioning can make a big difference in beam quality and optic efficiency. In playing around with swapping emitter brands/styles, I've found that an axial position difference of as little as .1mm makes a visible difference in beam quality. Leddna seen to work fine with or without the holder. I have only used Carclo on 2 different lights with disappointing results so have given up on them. Most Ledil optics need the holder for proper positioning.

If you need to remove an indexing tab, file it off. Snapping it off usually takes more material with it than you want.
  • 04-07-2015
    tigris99
    Ya I use a hobby blade to cut them off. I dont snap off just because I figured itd mess up optics quality.
  • 04-07-2015
    andychrist
    2 Attachment(s)
    So then are the Carclos only indexed by way of the holder, or is the base of each lamp also designed to align with the emitter? Lenses I got from FastTech have four little rectangular feet to latch around it— didn't come with tabs or holder, and would have fallen through the face plate had I not retained the glass disks that protected the original reflectors. But at least once they're in right they stay put, 15º optics workin' out pretty well so far.

Attachment 979270Attachment 979271
  • 04-07-2015
    tigris99
    Ur optics look the same as leddna optics, 4 feet, which I cut off for my ss x3. Thnx for the heads u on optics being a hair small. I know to be ready to modify for it
  • 04-07-2015
    manbeer
    I'm am idiot
    Posted on wrong thread. Ignore
  • 04-07-2015
    manbeer
    Ignore
  • 04-08-2015
    manbeer
    Oxyled version came in today. First off this is one hefty little beast. I don't have triangle bits so no teardown but it is a nice looking body. Battery case doesn't look to be of much use though unless you can spot weld you're stuck using the cells included
  • 04-08-2015
    andychrist
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Oxyled version came in today. First off this is one hefty little beast. I don't have triangle bits so no teardown but it is a nice looking body. Battery case doesn't look to be of much use though unless you can spot weld you're stuck using the cells included

Huh, your OxyLED didn't come with the anodized battery holder with replaceable cells? :confused: That's the only one I've ever seen included with any of the 880 clones. Do you have a link to your purchase, manbeer?

Just got my ellipticals from LEDDNA. They fit perfectly in the Yinding but again for the KD, had to retain the original plain glass discs inside the face plate to keep the optics from falling out. Only ordered 10º*45º and 20º*60º, now I kinda wish I'd picked up 30º*60º as well, if only for comparison sake, they're so inexpensive. Even the 45º is plenty wide, just the 10º height seems a bit skimpy when the lamp is pointed downward enough to illuminate in front of the wheel. 20º*60º optics in the KD throw juuust far enough to combine with an unaltered Yinding for a fairly long ranging, uninterupted beam pattern. Will have to spend some time on the trails upstate to determine whether this setup needs further tweaking.

Attachment 979717
  • 04-08-2015
    manbeer
    Amazon.com : OxyLED BL15 3-Mode Waterproof Bright Rechargeable 2 x XML U2 1500 Lumens Cree LED Headlight / Headlamp / Bicycle Light / Bike Light Set with 8800mAh Battery Pack and Charger, for Outdoor Sports / Camping / Hiking - Black : Sports & Outdo

Case is anodized but cells are spot welded like a standard pack with the pcb sandwiched between them. Also the pack was pretty dead as it arrived (didn't check voltage but indicators were red plugged in with no load
  • 04-08-2015
    tigris99
    And what does that other case have??? I know u can change the cells but is there a PCB?
  • 04-08-2015
    manbeer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    And what does that other case have??? I know u can change the cells but is there a PCB?

from my understanding the others had a case similar to one from KD a while back that had a pcb and used typical spring mounts for cells. The tricky thing is that it looks almost identical so as with all things chinese, it's a crap shoot which one you'll get
  • 04-08-2015
    manbeer
    Just noticed securitying version shows phillips head screws up front so maybe it's from a different build house?

Anyway the good news is that even though I got screwed on the non removable cells the seller states that the 4 cell pack is "8800 mah" - must be true, right? :)
  • 04-09-2015
    andychrist
    Yeah manbeer the version you got says XM-L U2, so it probably is not the same build as the XM-L T6 that tigris ordered. T6 might be original quality, guess he'll find out.

Sorry you got such a bad deal there on Amazon. At least you can return the OxyLED if you're not happy with it. Original XM-L T6 is still available from KD as well as packages and solitary lamp heads in CW and NW XM-L2 U2.
  • 04-09-2015
    garrybunk
    3 different ellipticals at LEDDNA? I just ordered and only saw two options 20x60 and 30x60. I now see the 10x45 on the mobile site but don't remember it on their "standard" site when I ordered. DOH!

-Garry
  • 04-09-2015
    manbeer
    Quote:

Yeah manbeer the version you got says XM-L U2, so it probably is not the same build as the XM-L T6 that tigris ordered. T6 might be original quality, guess tirgis will find out.

Sorry you got such a bad deal there on Amazon. At least you can return the OxyLED if you're not happy with it. Original XM-L T6 is still available from KD as well as packages and solitary lamp heads in CW and NW XM-L2 U2.

Oh well, I'm probably not going to bother to return it as the lighthead itself seems decent (until I open it up at least) and if the pack has anywhere near decent capacity I will just give it to a friend who's just getting into night riding to use with his mj808. I may order another version though so now I guess I am left with the supernight and securitying as options (to impatient to order from overseas)

On the other hand the nitefighter is so nice it may just be better to order another one of the bt40 or try to find a bt21. Too many choices...
  • 04-09-2015
    andychrist
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Adding a glass lens in front of the optic is going to cut down on the amount of light making it out. Some of these Chinese glass lenses have been tested at up to 18% loss (my MT-05s).

-Garry

Yeah I figured there'd be that loss but the efficiency of the optics seems to have mostly or even more than made up for that. Reflectors cause ringing and color separation with NW emitters, and the spill outside the hot spot is too dim to be of much value. 15º optics from FastTech were an overall improvement, even with the extraneous glass to hold them in place — Wish I knew how others here got theirs to stay if they did not reuse the blanks though. Original MJ-880 has some kind of retaining ring set within the face plate, must mate with that holder comes with the 10º optics from FT and LEDDNA.

Attachment 979793

Wonder why none of the clones have copied this, given how much more expensive those aluminized copper reflectors must be over resin lenses nowadays. Perhaps the MS retaining rings are propritary and none of the other manufactures can get them off the shelf. This would still strike me as odd because I doubt those optic holders, with their three pairs of slits 120º apart, would be exclusive to MagicShine products. Guess they could mate with different retainers and only MS has the ones to fit their face plate? Just like no one else has copied the control buttons on top of the lamp either.

Edit: See where bhocewar trimmed down optic holders to sit flush against the O-rings back of the face plate. Not something I'll attempt to replicate in my little NYC apartment, have already made enough of a mess here. :p
  • 04-09-2015
    manbeer
    Just took mine apart, I actually had triangle bits surprisingly. Seems pretty well constructed. Pcb is on plain aluminum, everything seats nice and tight, added some thermal paste (there was a tiny dab in the center but not much, took some pics and sealed it up. One day when I get better at the interwebs I will post pics from all the crap I've torn down lately
  • 04-09-2015
    tigris99
    Manbeer, use Photobucket or similar, they have copy and paste links. I do all my pics with my windows phone, have app to quickly upload to Photobucket, copy and paste link from Photobucket to wherever. Still have all my pics from my rc days on there. Led kits I made, custom made scale rock crawlers I built from scratch, etc. I need to clean it out before I run outta space.
  • 04-09-2015
    manbeer
    Thanks, I will check out the app. I had an old account that I was too lazy to clear out and for some reason it will never let me delete and start fresh. By the way have been using the hobby charger and loving it, thanks for helping me out. Now testing capacity of all my packs out of boredom lol
  • 04-09-2015
    tigris99
    Lol no problem, I need to do it but as I learned yesterday capacity isn't everything. Having new set of Panasonics I understand why ppl complain about Chinese cheap cells, brand name cells do better at delivering the power. These included cells work just dont push the amps near as steadily.
  • 04-09-2015
    manbeer
    Tigres, did you see the link I posted for the 3400 mah panasonic/Sanyo cells (guess it was a transition period from buyout )on amazon for 19.99/set of 4? I just got a few sets and they are really top notch for the price
  • 04-09-2015
    tigris99
    Ya not sure supposed to be Panasonics, that's what I bought was that set :p

And exciting day, tornado came through area covered quite a distance covered but lifted over the river and town I live in (half on a big hill), literally straight over my house dropped again northeat of town and missed my aunts place by less than 100 yrds.
  • 04-09-2015
    manbeer
    Wow glad you're ok, where do you live? Stuff like that never really happens out here, in general pretty safe save for ticks

And yeah those cells we made by panasonic and Sanyo basically tweaked ncr18650s so they kick some butt
  • 04-09-2015
    tigris99
    Live in northwestern Illinois on the river other side from Clinton Iowa which is where the worst of it was.

Edits: Omfg, we got hit by twins, explains what I saw, not sure how or why but our town right in the path, they jumped us the unleashed again. Kind of disturding I dont know of any record of twins hitting populated areas with enough force to do what these tornados did. Counting my blessings right now. And had that storm come an hr later would have been alot worse, not long after it passed us it got bad.
  • 04-13-2015
    manbeer
    Pics of oxyled clone from amazon. Interestingly enough when I left my store I had the stock battery pack on the hobby charger to test capacity and it was almost at 3000mah with another .52 volts to go so it may well be close to the stated 4400mah capacity. Still wish it had replaceable cells like the others though

• 04-14-2015
    garrybunk
    Hey manbeer, any chance you can check if 1/2" copper plumbing end caps fit nicely into those holes behind the emitters? Also try a piece of 1/2" copper pipe if you can.

Thanks
    -Garry
  • 04-14-2015
    manbeer
    Hmm I like where you are going with this. Heading to my local home depot in a few :)
  • 04-14-2015
    garrybunk
    Wait - might be 3/4" copper pipe and end caps. It's not my original idea. See this X2 clone mod: Mod - SolarStorm X2 Clone - Pic Heavy (In-Progress) | BudgetLightForum.com

-Garry
  • 04-14-2015
    tigris99
    If the holes are like ss x3 the holes are 18mm so I believe 1/2", remember copper pipe is measured by ID, and caps are designed to fit I've the specified pipe, 3/4 is like 1" (25mm) OD on the caps I believe. Can't find my 1/2 and 3/4 caps I have somewhere to measure exactly but I do remember 3/4 caps didn't even fit inside ss x3 at all. 1/2 cap fit kind of in the center but still too big to plug that hole.

So if you get anything, get 1/2 and 3/8 caps
  • 04-14-2015
    manbeer
    Well I saw the reply a bit late, got a few odds and ends but couldn't find a match. I will bring my caliper tomorrow and find something to match up
  • 04-14-2015
    tigris99
    I had the same problem at home depot, not alot of options. Problem is the US is still too arrogant to accept the metric scale lol. So trying to find matches to things sucks for items made in other countries.
  • 04-14-2015
    manbeer
    Yeah I was surprised at the crappy selection and everything in the wrong bin. Hate that place...normally I like supporting small business but most places are closed by 5 or 6 here
  • 04-14-2015
    tigris99
    I feel you, and I have no small shop options, just home depot and ace. Home depot is turning into the WalMart of home improvement lol.
  • 04-14-2015
    andychrist
    Yeah I couldn't find the right size copper end caps at Lowe's either. Wonder whether some Canadian vendor might stock them in metric (that's where I got SS M4 screws.) Very difficult to find online, even searching Lowe's here did not bring them up, although they actually did have one 1/2" and some 3/4" copper caps in the bins. (Of course before I stumbled upon them myself, was approached by a helpful employee who asked what I was looking for. When I told him copper end caps he looked at me as if I were crazy and said they didn't have anything like that. Well he was half right. :p

Edit: Nope, Canadian sites mostly offer Imperial sizing too. Only metric on offer was imported from either the U.K. or Australia, shipping is astronomical. Closest size available is 15mm, dunno what the exterior might be.
  • 04-14-2015
    tigris99
    I can buy metric screws all day long. Home depot has crap for options but they have some. Ace Hardware has everything in regular or ss from m3 up to m10.

Amazon is also great for metric hardware (or in a pinch hit a hobby/rc shop)
  • 04-14-2015
    andychrist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    If the holes are like ss x3 the holes are 18mm so I believe 1/2", remember copper pipe is measured by ID, and caps are designed to fit I've the specified pipe, 3/4 is like 1" (25mm) OD on the caps I believe. Can't find my 1/2 and 3/4 caps I have somewhere to measure exactly but I do remember 3/4 caps didn't even fit inside ss x3 at all. 1/2 cap fit kind of in the center but still too big to plug that hole.

So if you get anything, get 1/2 and 3/8 caps

The 3/4" at Lowe's were 24mm exterior diameter. Dunno what the OD of the 1/2" was, looked small and they only had one unit in stock anyway. For reference, best fit I can find inside the KD is a dime. But just adding the extra ~1.5mm back plate behind the emitter board worked fine for me. Don't think I'd bother attempting to plug the holes on my other, Silver 880 clone unless I can find a real easy, drop in solution.
  • 04-16-2015
    tigris99
    So I got on amazon to buy a mudder kd2 clone.....as I was rolling through wish list for it found the securitying version was dropped to $29.99. So I grabbed I instead, with my amazon credit for free 1 day, it'll be here tomorrow :p. As much as I shouldn't have $20 refund from amazon and free overnight, plus the $30 price I couldn't pass it up.

I'll fill you guys in on the securitying version tomorrow. I know that gold color is COMING OFF, I hate that color lol.
  • 04-16-2015
    andychrist
    tigris, do you have a link to that SecurityIng? Can't find it on Amazon Prime, D'oh!