mtbr member

Just ordered this little guy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009QX...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

I'm interested to see how it performs. I'm looking at upgrading the battery pack, since I know that's usually the weak link in these budget lights.

Tradere Scriptura Magister

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Umm, I've seen these mentioned before, and they weren't the greatest of reviews or maybe more their potential was fully atained. Might not be the news your looking but... reports were that they don't run all 3 XML's at full power

mtbr member

I wasn't expecting them to, and since my riding is all city, I doubt I'll ever use the high setting. I know 3800 LM is the max output of the light, but it's real output is probably closer to 1800-2000, at best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They are actually a very good light for the money.
    A whole thread here...
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Then your one of the few, most ppl want power power power!

TBH I doubt it's be 'rubbish' output wise, just as I said, the reviews I saw were just complaining that they didn't run all the 3 XML at full chat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I have two of the smaller 1200 lumen lights and they work flawlessly so far. Only thing I have noticed is the velcro has started to come apart from the strap, though a $2 heavy duty Velcro strap from lowes should solve the problem.

I use one on my bars and one on my helmet and out burn some $150+ lights. For $45 for two shipped they're a killer deal. A couple of friends have switched from high dollar lights to these budget beauties. The 3800 is on my list next once time changes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    Then your one of the few, most ppl want power power power!

TBH I doubt it's be 'rubbish' output wise, just as I said, the reviews I saw were just complaining that they didn't run all the 3 XML at full chat.
    I have one of these. Expect about 1200 lumen output. Most of these don't include voltage indicators. Beam pattern is very useable for the bars.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Seems to be quite usable for what I need. A huge improvement from the two Ozark Trail 150 LM lights I have mounted at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have 2 of these lights and gor the money it does the job quite well. It lights it lights the trails we ride wuth no problem. One on the bars and one on the helmet does the job. I've never had to go pass medium, actually level 1 is finebut use level 2 for my own preference. Now I have seen the difference with the more expensive lights like beam pattern and how much brighter due to "true" lumens output. So for those who may not want spend hundreds of dollars for 1 light, $80 for 2 is not a bad deal. By the way, I've had no problems with these lights, run times have been good too so far.

mtbr member

According to Amazon it should be here tomorrow afternoon. I'm excited to see what I've gotten myself in to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have one, as does a friend of mine. Decent light, but we did upgrade to better batteries from Action Led.

The stock battery just wasn't strong enough to power 3 leds for any real length of time. I've not done a run time test with the new battery, but we get through our 1.5 to 2 hr rides without a problem.
    I think the stock battery got about 45 minutes(?) if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately the battery costs more then the light, but the stock battery is still usable for single led lights that I have, so not a total wash.

When we bought these last fall, they were $50, add in the upgraded battery and we're into these for about $100.

Personally, I'm moving away from these larger, heavier, round, multiple led (3 and up) lights and going to be sticking with smaller, lighter, flatter 2 led lights.
    Since I've received my Gemini Duo clone ($51), I'm just blown away by it's tiny size, lightweight (60gr) and lower profile.
    I also feel that going above 2 leds doesn't give significant increase in output to justify the extra size, weight (and sometimes cost).

mtbr member

I've been contemplating making a new battery pack, and possibly replacing a driver, although I don't want to put my cart before the horse. I've yet to see the real world results on my commute, and I might never actually require all three fully powered, although it would certainly be nice to have the option.

Since I don't race, and I'm already loaded with a rack, I'm not too terribly worried about shaving small amounts of weight, although I can see how others would find the extra baggage and size to be a requirement.

Since this light will be replacing others that I have on the bars, I'm also not too worried about size, since I'll be actually downsizing.

I can't wait until I get home tomorrow. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hope my last post didn't come off sounding like I was raining on your parade. It's a good light, and even better for your situation where you're using it on your bars (the weight is only an issue on helmets, you start feeling it in your neck).

For commuting, you can probably get away with using it on low and medium, which will give you longer run times and possibly not need to upgrade the battery.

There's not a big difference between medium (2 leds) and high (3 leds), so if you run it on medium and low when you can, you'll get better run times.

If you can get away with using the stock battery for your commute, then for $40, you can't go wrong. Enjoy it.

mtbr member

I know I'll be replacing the battery pack, it just depends on if it's sooner or later. I've been training for my first century, even though I'm merely a commuter who does long rides on the weekends. I plan to start on some lost highway early in the morning, so having the full force of the high setting could be beneficial.

mtbr member
    Figured I would give this a quick bump, by asking if anyone knows where I might be able to find a selection of lenses for this thing.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    First off...how's it working. I'm in the market for one.

On Amazon's add that you posted, there is a link for a lens that goes wide angle for that light for $4.95

mtbr member

So far, it works great. I would like a better run time off the battery pack, but I knew going into this that the battery was going to be the weak point.

Construction is good, better than I expected. Heat dispersion is adequate, with it only getting warm to the touch after an hour on medium with sun beating on it. I do wish that I could modify it to run all three on high, but for less than 50 bucks, I couldn't be happier. It's used every day, for the last several weeks, and hasn't done anything to make me question it's reliability.

I noticed the wide angle lens on Amazon, but I'm not sure that's what I'm wanting. I think it has enough spill for me, I would just like the hot spot a little more spread, and to get rid of the annoying reflection circles, although that has more to do with the reflector than the lens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    . I do wish that I could modify it to run all three on high, but for less than 50 bucks, I couldn't be happier. It's used every day, for the last several weeks, and hasn't done anything to make me question it's reliability.
    Do you mean run all 3 LEDs on high?
    That is the high mode....at least on mine.
    It's a great light for the money.
    For a battery...I get over 3 hours from a Xeccon hard shell from mtbrevolution.

mtbr member

While all three LEDs are on when in "high" mode, they are not at full capacity, so you're being robbed of what they're able to do due to the battery, and possibly driver. If you have the same light, I'm sure you've noticed that there is a negligible difference between medium and high, and it's due to a cut in power, but where that cut is happening, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah...there is something funky in the board. If you look in the big 3x thread, one was modified and made more power in medium than high.
    For the money...they are a great light.
    And I'm sure they will get cheaper and better....

mtbr member

I love the light. I just want it to do what it can do. Lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After seeing the mods done on the other thread...I gave my light to my engineer buddy.
    He looked at it and said he could do the mods....but also said "don't bother...it is what it is"

mtbr member

Lol. Just leaving well enough alone is not in my nature. Got a link to the mods post?