mtbr member

Just bought a Gloworm XS! What am I in for?

I got sick of putting it in and taking it out of the shopping cart.

mtbr member
    You chose a killer light. Money comes and goes don't sweat it.

mtbr member
    Quote: "What I'm I in for"?

Answers:

1) Wonderfulness

2) Dry mouth; from open mouth amazement

3) Bling Envy: from your fellow MTB'ers who are cussing because they don't have one...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was hopping for a bit more that Cat _man_do in why the Gloworm XS so good.

Sadly I can't afford one but did wonder what's the difference in Gloworm XS & a chinese clone?

Gloworm Vs Clone
    I can see from photos build better and the battery but what else?
    Real number lumens not made up like clones.

How must more batter life Gloworm have on full?
    Much brighter?

Hyperocity why did you go for Gloworm X2

ta
    Last edited by Smoke&Lasers; 03-24-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Awesome!!! Can you post some pics of it in the woods to see how it lights up? Are you using a headlight also?

mtbr member
    I wanted the best and the X2 is more helmet and the xs seems to offer the best bar light ability. Cheap china stuff can not be dependent on as primary. Secondary might be fine though. I will also buy a x1 for the helmut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    I was hopping for a bit more that Cat _man_do in why the Gloworm XS so good.

Sadly I can't afford one but did wonder what's the difference in Gloworm XS & a chinese clone?

Gloworm Vs Clone
    I can see from photos build better and the battery but what else?
    Real number lumens not made up like clones.

How must more batter life Gloworm have on full?
    Much brighter?

Hyperocity why did you go for Gloworm X2

ta
    As nice as some of the clone lights appear, you end up with cheap quality components. Wire sheaths are more vinyl than rubber, and are smaller. Cable glands are shorter, and also more vinyl than rubber. Will one find wire retention inside the housings to prevent breaking solder joints? Nope. Aluminum housings are too thin with threaded bodies like flashlights, barely enough metal to maintain integrity; don't drop your light. Bezels are the same.

And then there's the threads. It's as if they have never produced threads. At first, four or five years back, all of their flashlights were a pot-shot as to whether or not you'd strip the tailcap threads as soon as you inserted batteries. They've gotten better, but most threading is still more loose than we'd like to see on an item that must endure life on a handlebar.

In comparing my Gloworx XS housing to clone lamps, I think it can be summed up with "Thin where it matters Vs Thin everywhere". Or "Regulated industry Vs unregulated industry". Hell, even they don't want their product back when it's DOA, they just send you a replacement.

Yes, Gloworm products have been shown to meet or exceed their rated lumens output. Clone products have been shown to consistently test was under their declared lumens. I've noticed some items with a notation lately that the indicated lumens was a "capability" rating, IOW,what the max rating of the given LED as per the mfg spec, not the actual output of that device.

mtbr member
    China stuff for kids bikes. It reminds me of someone buying a $49 red dot for a $1200 rifle. ****.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just wondering. Has anyone done a review of lumen output over time on the Gloworm XS. What I like to see is how long the XS can maintain its 2200lumen output. With most light, once they heat up...the light output would drop.

mtbr member

Just bought a Gloworm XS! What am I in for?

Just received. Very high quality fit and finish. Button is a good idea but poor design and ways of mounting. Just don't get it. The button needs a better mounting solution. Button is flat based and pretty much throws the idea of bar mounting near grips. I would also like to see a better battery pack mounting solution. Like utilize bottle cage bolts. Overall very bright white light. The bar mount if high quality. Every part with the exception of the button screams rugged. I love the programability. Would buy again in a heartbeat.