mtbr member

Jetlites A-51,Exposure Diablo Mk2, or BD Stryker Pro for a helmet light?

As the title states, I am looking for a helmet light, and have narrowed it down the Jetlites A-51,Exposure Diablo Mk2, or Baja Designs Stryker Pro. I have a Baja Designs Stryker mounted on the bars, and need a good helmet light to match to it. I have one of the recalled MS lights, and need something now. I have poured over all the reviews here and just can't decide. I like the cable free design of the Diablo, but not the reduced run time at full power. I could run it on medium going uphill and full on down as an option though. The A-51 is by a company that I like, but the battery looks big and is not cable free. The Stryker Pro would match my Stykr, and with the $100 off puts in in the same price range as the others. Then again it is the heaviest and the maybe the poorest beam of the group. So I'm looking for input for anything I have not considered here that might help me decide.

swag ho Administrator
    Diablo Mk2, without a doubt. It is the brightest of this bunch by far. It is 110 grams complete and has the best helmet mount of the group.

Finally, it is a flashlight that you can use everyday.

fc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Piko is an excellent helmet light. It has a higher lux rating in the shootout than the Stryker pro. It is very small and light. The battery and light mount on your helmet. I bought one to replace a MagicShine and am impressed with the performance from such a small package. Definitely brighter and whiter light than the MagicShine. Diablo MK2 look impressive, but reported battery life is 1.2 hours. That is not a very long ride. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey t-tech

I was thinking about the Piko as well as I also have an MS. Is it brighter than the MS or about the same. My guess was that the MS was really about 550-600 lumens based on comparing it to my Dinotte 800L.

I was just holding off a bit on the purchase as I wasn't sure if it would be bright enough. Is the beam pretty tight.

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Piko is clearly brighter. The MS is probably significantly fewer lumens. The beam is tightly focused. It has excellent mid distance illumination, which I find essential for tight twisty trails where long throw may be less critical.

MC MasterShake
    I'm not sure if you read my recent review of the Diablo but I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it's a fantastic light. The medium setting is very useable and practically as bright as my MS light. The beam is pattern is excellent with a nice spread pattern and soft light. To get more time out of the light on high I picked up the 1 cell piggy back battery which mounts nicely on the back of the helmet. Yeah, it's not fully wireless and a little heavier with the piggy but it gives me almost 3 hours of run time on high w/o any wires going into my pocket or Camelbak. I really don't notice the extra weight but I do notice the extra run time on high.

I own a MagicShine and an Iblaast light as well and the Diablo blows them away in brightness, build, and beam pattern. I highly recommend the Diablo +piggy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Diablo Mk2, without a doubt. It is the brightest of this bunch by far. It is 110 grams complete and has the best helmet mount of the group.

Finally, it is a flashlight that you can use everyday.

fc
    Thanks francois, I was hoping that you would respond since you may be the only person who has used each of the lights that I mentioned. I was leaning towards the Diablo, but have concerns about the run time. My real dilemma is weather or not to get the piggy back or not. I doubt that I will need to run the helmet light on high that often since my Stykr does a great job on the bars, but I do need enough light to see around corners and such while going through switchbacks. I am hoping that the Diablo would have enough light to do this on the medium setting.

Quote Originally Posted by testtech
    Piko is an excellent helmet light. It has a higher lux rating in the shootout than the Stryker pro. It is very small and light. The battery and light mount on your helmet. I bought one to replace a MagicShine and am impressed with the performance from such a small package. Definitely brighter and whiter light than the MagicShine. Diablo MK2 look impressive, but reported battery life is 1.2 hours. That is not a very long ride. My 2 cents.

I like the Piko, but the Diablo is brighter and even with the additional cost of the piggy-back, cost less. Right now there is a $30 off discount code for the Diablo or a $40 off for the light and piggy together. It makes it pretty hard to pass up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I'm not sure if you read my recent review of the Diablo but I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it's a fantastic light. The medium setting is very useable and practically as bright as my MS light. The beam is pattern is excellent with a nice spread pattern and soft light. To get more time out of the light on high I picked up the 1 cell piggy back battery which mounts nicely on the back of the helmet. Yeah, it's not fully wireless and a little heavier with the piggy but it gives me almost 3 hours of run time on high w/o any wires going into my pocket or Camelbak. I really don't notice the extra weight but I do notice the extra run time on high.

I own a MagicShine and an Iblaast light as well and the Diablo blows them away in brightness, build, and beam pattern. I highly recommend the Diablo +piggy.
    I actually saw your review and it was one of the reasons that I considered the Diablo so seriously. Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Where do I find the coupon codes for the Exposure lights?
    Is there a way to mount the Mk2 to a head band for night running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markmaxwell
    Where do I find the coupon codes for the Exposure lights?
    Is there a way to mount the Mk2 to a head band for night running?
    Become their fan on facebook
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx you guys.

I think the Diablo w/ the extra battery will be a bit heavier than the Piko. If I remember, the Piko w/ the battery and mount is only 180 grams. Light head 55 grams.

How much heavier is the Diablo. It sure does look very cool and I could use it in the Spring/Summer w/o the external battery. Winter/Fall I need 3+ hours.

Was thinking of selling my current lights and going w/ either the Diablo or Piko on the helmet and the Dinotte 1200+ on the bars. However, I was hoping the Dinotte 400L would be upgraded and a possible package deal offered again.

MB

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Thx you guys.

I think the Diablo w/ the extra battery will be a bit heavier than the Piko. If I remember, the Piko w/ the battery and mount is only 180 grams. Light head 55 grams.

How much heavier is the Diablo. It sure does look very cool and I could use it in the Spring/Summer w/o the external battery. Winter/Fall I need 3+ hours.

Was thinking of selling my current lights and going w/ either the Diablo or Piko on the helmet and the Dinotte 1200+ on the bars. However, I was hoping the Dinotte 400L would be upgraded and a possible package deal offered again.

MB
    Diablo light with mount is 110 grams. 1 cell piggy battery is 45 grams. It's a very light system and is amazingly bright.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Diablo light with mount is 110 grams. 1 cell piggy battery is 45 grams. It's a very light system and is amazingly bright.

IBEX Sports list the Diablo with the mount at 125 grams with the piggy coming in at 73 grams.The Piko is listed at 190 grams for the complete set up in this years MTBR light shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
    IBEX Sports list the Diablo with the mount at 125 grams with the piggy coming in at 73 grams.The Piko is listed at 190 grams for the complete set up in this years MTBR light shootout
    I've just measured my Diablo on my hyper-sensitive kitchen scale (just joking...) and it was 110 gramms exactly. The 125g could be the weight combined with the helmet mount.

But anyway, it doesn't matter. As long as I don't notice it on my head, I couldn't care less about gramms...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can recommend the diablo but have not used the others mentioned, the build quality and support is excellent and the light output is just as good as my old lupine wilma. By using the lower settings I can make it last for a 3 hour ride and the middle settting is bright enough to use as a helmet light to backup a good bar mounted light. It also comes in a nice case...

mtbr member
    Well the choice has been made, and my Diablo has been ordered with the piggy. I don't know if I will need the extra battery, but with the discount, I could not resist.

mtbr member
    Give us a review of the light. I'm interested in the Diablo too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Give us a review of the light. I'm interested in the Diablo too.
    I was actually thinking about doing a review of both the BD Styrker and Diablo in another post, but I might as well do the Diablo here. I have only a couple of night rides with it , but I have enough time with it to get a good general impression.First, when I received the light, I was pleased with the build quality. The machining is beautiful along with the anodized barrel. The whole assembly has a nice solid feel to it. The helmet mount was easy to put on, and comes with two lengths of allen head screws for mounting to different thickness' of helmets. I did find that I had to work at finding the sweet spot on one of my helmets since the only real place to mount it was fairly far forward. This caused the light to point down more then I wanted. I was able to solve the problem by moving the light as far back in the mount as I could. As far as light output, all I can say is WOW. There is no shortage of light here. The beam is not the widest out there, but it has a nice white light with no real hot spots. It complements my BD Styrker very nicely with its flood reflector on the bars. The whole assembly with the piggy is so lite, that I really never notice it on my head. My only real complaints are small, but I will mention them for for those interested. I find that the button for adjusting the light level is a little hard to find and use if you need to adjust it while moving. Also, piggy mounting is a little lame, but I have not lost it yet, so I can't complain too much. The one other issue I have is the charging adapter for the piggy. I would have like to see an end that was the same as the main unit. the adapter is just something to get lost. I understand why it was done the way it was, but would have liked to see the whole unit thought out a little better. Again, very small complaints that would not keep me from buying, or recommending it to anyone. Overall, great light that doubles as a high power flashlight. I use it as such every night to bring in my black dog from outside. I use to have a hard time finding him in the dark, but not any more.

jp9
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    considering one of these three lights as well. really like the diablo for simplicity/size yet find the run time a bit short without the piggy. are there any Lumes/Lux numbers available whith the diable set at medium? or maybe a first hand comparison of daiblo set at medium vs styker/a-51 set at high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp9
    considering one of these three lights as well. really like the diablo for simplicity/size yet find the run time a bit short without the piggy. are there any Lumes/Lux numbers available whith the diable set at medium? or maybe a first hand comparison of daiblo set at medium vs styker/a-51 set at high.
    francois posted in another thread that the Diablo on medium was 30 lux. and has a run time of 3 hours without the piggy. The A-51 and Stryker Pro both rate 40 lux at the high setting. I did some riding tonight trying to use only the Diablo on medium to see how well it would work. The problem was it was foggy in spots and was hard to use. I ended up turning off my helmet light and just going with my bar light to see the trail. So, I can't really tell how well the Diablo works on medium. I do however think by using the Diablo on low or medium while going uphill and saving the high setting for downhill would yield time close to 2 hours without the piggy.Of course that is depending on how much time you spend going uphill.