Meh

Jet HID blast 1000

Anyone here try one out with the Li-Ion battery? I have a regular Jet Blast HID with a blown ballast and was considering getting the NGX ballast & 14w bulb to revigorize the light. Jet wants $150 to do the upgrade which is the same parts you get from Welch Allyn. I was just planning on getting the parts myself to save $.

Already have an led, would rather experiment on this backup light than get a Magicshine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by special k
    Anyone here try one out with the Li-Ion battery? I have a regular Jet Blast HID with a blown ballast and was considering getting the NGX ballast & 14w bulb to revigorize the light. Jet wants $150 to do the upgrade which is the same parts you get from Welch Allyn. I was just planning on getting the parts myself to save $.

Already have an led, would rather experiment on this backup light than get a Magicshine.
    I haven't had the opportunity to look at the internals of the Jet HID lights so I don't know if they have any internal electronics other than the Welch Allyn ballast. So I can't give you much specifically about the Jet light. You can take the case apart and see if there are any circuit boards inside the case. All the ballast electronics are contained inside the potted assembly connected directly to the bulb.

I've used NGX components in my own HID based lights with li-ion batteries and it works well with a 4 cell pack. The voltage range for the regulation in the NGX ballast matches up very well with a 4 cell li-ion pack. However, when using li-ion packs you really should have a voltage cutoff in the system to prevent over discharge of the li-ion pack. That's not handled by the NGX ballast. Relying on the protection PCB in the pack to shut the light down before the li-ion cells are permanently damaged isn't the best idea and since the built in regulation keeps the light at an absolute constant brightness, there's really no way to tell when the battery is getting low other than keeping track of how long the light has been running. In my lights, I handle low voltage cutoff in the external electronic controller. You can see some details of my lights in this thread.

Nostalgia

The other issue is that the NGX bulb is physically a few millimeters longer than the original 10W HID bulb. Whether you can make it fit in the existing case depends on specific details of the case. If the case has a lot of flexible rubber mounts holding the bulb / ballast assembly then it may go in without modification. If the case has hard mount points for the bulb / ballast, then it's probably not going to fit without modification.