mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Ituo Wiz20 Light Mount

Thought I would give some heads up for those that may be considering the Ituo Wiz20 for offroad use.

For the most part, the light itself has been working great. However the mount could be better. I just don't believe it's strong enough to support the weight of the light.

Mount #1 that came with the light...The pin fell out on the latch that holds the light. Hit a bump and light went flying off the bars. Had to hold the light in my hands on the way out that night to light my path. Never was able to find the latch and pin along the trail.

Replacement Mount #2...mount broke while riding:

Ituo Wiz20 Light Mount-2d6c57015b71bab2e4532ba4eac82413.jpg

Replacement Mount #3...Mount broke again while riding:

Ituo Wiz20 Light Mount-20170830_071504%5B1%5D.jpg

Also you can see in this picture (mount #3) that the pin is coming out of the latch again. If the mount didn't break first I would have had the same issue as noted in above for mount #1

Ituo Wiz20 Light Mount-20170830_072635%5B1%5D.jpg

Yes, I can warranty this part...but unless there has been a design change to the mount, it will keep breaking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    i wish i would have saw this a few days earlier as i ordered it already. hopefully they come up with something better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Thought I would give some heads up for those that may be considering the Ituo Wiz20 for offroad use.

For the most part, the light itself has been working great. However the mount could be better. I just don't believe it's strong enough to support the weight of the light.

.yes, I can warranty this part...but unless there has been a design change to the mount, it will keep breaking.
    I feel for you. While my Wiz20 mount has worked great for the last year and a half (I don't take the light off road much) I have broken a couple of XP mounts the same way. Not a big deal to me since I prefer to run the "Vancbiker Gopro mounts" anyway for the extra cooling (Wiz20 doesn't need this) and horizontal aim adjustability. All the Ituo lights cost considerably less than similar quality and performing lights so I don't mind spending a little extra on the mounts. If I were going to use my Wuz20 off-road a lot I definitely would go the Vancbiker route. I have heard Ituo is converting to alloy mounts but don't know if the design will be changed or when it will happen.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbooher View Post
    i wish i would have saw this a few days earlier as i ordered it already. hopefully they come up with something better.
    Ituo is supposed to have a new allow mount soon. Vancbiker also makes alloy Gopro mounts for the Wiz20. I've had good luck with my Wiz20 but have broken a couple of the XP mounts which are similar. After looking at the design of the mount and where it was breaking I came to the conclusion it actually the rubber friction pads that are causing the problem. The pad is too thick and because of the way the pads attach to the mount (rubber tab on bottom of pad fits into a very large relief area on the mount) it causes a soft spot where the tab attachment area is and an elevated hard spot right after where the mount will break. I just removed one of the friction pads which cuts in half the distance the mount can flex before contacting the bar and haven't had a problem since. I'd recommend doing that to your mount and hopefully you won't have any problems.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    thank you for the info. i agree regarding the price so i have no problem investing in a better solution.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Yeap, new mounts are coming SOON.

Those with the failed mounts (not the same as the first ones, these ones that are having issues came to pass around the holidays) will be able to buy aluminum ones at a discounted price. Not sure on pricing yet.

Price of lights will be changing once new mounts become included (same time we get the new aluminum mounts).

Will hopefully have the vanc gopro adapters on hand then too.

Here's mine (the first one made to double check everything before he started selling them). Its in my road bike

And no, the mount below it (what the gopro adapter is mounted to) isnt something anyone can buy easily or be used on mountain bikes. Its Bontrager Blendr system. Specific to certain Trek road bike stems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So is my mount still warrantied? The last one that broke on me was purchased from you in July. I kinda need one right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Yes its covered but we are out till our next shipment arrives.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Please let me know when the next shipment comes in. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Yes its covered but we are out till our next shipment arrives.

What's the status on this? I need a new mount for a night ride on Thursday September 14th. I also contacted you via email about a warranty replacement and haven't heard back from you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    if you could email me back too that would be great. i've been waiting a week for a reply.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Wont be here in time to get you a mount by then. As for the email, check junk folder and such, I double checked to make sure I hadn't missed an email. But another plastic one will be sent under warranty.

PM me your names and I can resend email replies to anything else that was asked, sorry for whatever happened there.

Cheers

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wont be here in time to get you a mount by then. As for the email, check junk folder and such, I double checked to make sure I hadn't missed an email. But another plastic one will be sent under warranty.

PM me your names and I can resend email replies to anything else that was asked, sorry for whatever happened there.

Cheers

PM has been sent. When do you expect the replacements to be in?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The GoPro adapter for the Wiz20 has been a pretty popular item. Of the folks that have told me of their reason to buy one, not many have said their factory mount broke or they felt that it was not secure enough. The rest already were using or planning to use the GoPro mounting system with other devices and wanted compatibility with their existing GoPro mounts. Mostly they were using a K-edge combo mount with a Garmin on top and running a camera or Wiz20 underneath depending on the ride.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I had talked one of my bike friends into buying this light in July. I just rode with him last night on our Tuesday group ride and he told me his mount cracked also. What's the status on replacement mounts from Ituo?

I'm kind of irate at this point that I don't have a light for a Thursday night ride.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    We're waiting for our shipment. Dont have an exact date or anything yet. Just soon.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I had good luck with a voile strap when my mount broke. Two or three would be bomber in my opinion. Ideal? ... no, but it'll get you out and about. Vancbiker parts on the way to me . Still like the Wiz20 ... looking forward to having it be GoPro adaptable.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .......I'm kind of irate at this point that I don't have a light for a Thursday night ride.
    I'm obviously a bit biased here, but if I were having lots of trouble with the factory mounts on an otherwise good light, I'd quickly switch to the GoPro system and get on with reliable night riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I'm obviously a bit biased here, but if I were having lots of trouble with the factory mounts on an otherwise good light, I'd quickly switch to the GoPro system and get on with reliable night riding.
    Or when I spend $130 for a light that's advertised as an off road mountain bike light maybe the manufacturer should do the proper testing on their product to make sure their mount is robust enough for the advertised use. Not expect that I buy a different mount.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Or when I spend $130 for a light that's advertised as an off road mountain bike light maybe the manufacturer should do the proper testing on their product to make sure their mount is robust enough for the advertised use. Not expect that I buy a different mount.
    I get where you are coming from.

My thought is more along the lines that a manufacturer will only test for what they consider "off road mountain bike" use. That is totally subjective and leave lots of unknowns in how it will work in all definitions of "off road mountain bike" usage.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]

Sent from my SM
    Curious about the Wiz20 description I checked the website and here's what I found (today).

Design is simple enough for commuting and road riding, but high output and rugged design allow it to endure mild trail use.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The website changed. When I bought the light it mentioned off road mountain biking

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    For the riding of who tested them it was fine. Im yet to break one during use myself. I had figured myself that being bounced around on a rigid fat bike was enough but point has been shown that many are riding a lot rougher than I do. We didnt design, make decisions or anything else with the mount design. Got the lights, helped test them.

Thats the thing with a newly designed product. Hard to find a problem till its had time out in the real world.

Frustrating at times but problems have been located and are being corrected. But takes a fair amount of time to redesign, re-tool, produce new parts and get them available. Imagine how the guys feel that drop 3x that on a single light that ends up having issues.

No brand is immune to it. Those that have a better track record is because they stick to old, already perfected designs. They don't make big changes, try to find big ways to improve. And trying to do it at a price point way lower than anything comparable is even harder.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For the riding of who tested them it was fine.
    What kind of testing was done? Road ride?

Im yet to break one during use myself. I had figured myself that being bounced around on a rigid fat bike was enough but point has been shown that many are riding a lot rougher than I do.
    Is this riding it on snow or rocky/rooty terrain?

Thats the thing with a newly designed product. Hard to find a problem till its had time out in the real world.
    Before the website changed the Wiz20 was advertised as an off-road mountain biking light. If it was tested for the application advertised this issue would have shown up. I'm not the only one with the cracked mount problem. 3 have broken on me and my friend that ordered the same light (based on my recommendation)...his broke also.

Frustrating at times but problems have been located and are being corrected. But takes a fair amount of time to redesign, re-tool, produce new parts and get them available. Imagine how the guys feel that drop 3x that on a single light that ends up having issues.
    I'm not concerned with others that have spent 3x on the light. Although I do ride with many people that have spent more on their lights and they don't have broken mount issues.

So what's the expected lead time on replacement mounts?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Im one who tested them, as are users here. My bikes see trails all around the north western and central illinois, eastern iowa, missouri. Yet to break a mount.

All the videos on youtube and facebook pages, thats me on the bike with my camera.

That said, the ones you guys have appeared to be a change in plastic type. Im yet to break one myself but not saying its isolated or did I ever say it was. Made it VERY CLEAR that the issue is known and being taken care of.

And lead time is the answer it was last week, when they get to us, thats all we know. Sometime this month.

Last edited by RAKC Ind; 2 Days Ago at 11:59 AM.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im one who tested them, as are users here. My bikes see trails all around the north western and central illinois, eastern iowa, missouri. Yet to break a mount.

All the videos on youtube and facebook pages, thats me on the bike with my camera.

That said, the ones you guys have appeared to be a change in plastic type. Im yet to break one myself but not saying its isolated or did I ever say it was. Made it VERY CLEAR that the issue is known and being taken care of.

And lead time is the answer it was last week, when they get to us, thats all we know. Sometime this month.

I have a Wiz 20 and had 2 clamps break now, I just recommended this light to a friend who was getting ready to try it for the first time last night. He had it on his bar and I told him tighten it just a tad more, in front of 15 people the clamp snapped light fell to the asphalt. He used my back up Serfas light for the ride. 'Light is great' clamp to total junk, no denying it!! Super light weight plastic!! Just telling it like it is!!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I dont disagree that the later mounts have serious issues. The original ones that were tested have had no issues. Thats what is supposed to be coming back.

I was just saying, I have broken the later version brittle ones myself, but totally agree theres a problem. And being fixed.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A company that stands behind what they sell and fixes the problem in a timely manner is all people want!! A great product is in the little details, your almost there!!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Im not them, you forget that part

Standing behind it isnt a problem but when I run out of parts there is nothing I can do. The factory is on the other side of the planet.

Same with fixing the problem. I dont have a million dollar factor and engineer team to just have it all done in days.

Im a distributor and handle online retail for the States. All I can do is pass it on and wait.

Problem is being fixed with aluminum mounts. But all that costs time and money. Then the waiting game from the factory.

And your forgetting the most important point, want it cheap. Something had to give and it was the mounts. So with the new mounts means prices go up. Cant have cheap and high quality/performance. Ituo tried to save costs, made a mistake and correcting it. The other option is telling everyone to contact the manufacturer, I don't handle warranties. Instead I choose to be here and handle warranties on site and hope I see some form of reimbursement.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I have a Wiz 20 and had 2 clamps break now, I just recommended this light to a friend who was getting ready to try it for the first time last night. He had it on his bar and I told him tighten it just a tad more, in front of 15 people the clamp snapped light fell to the asphalt. He used my back up Serfas light for the ride. 'Light is great' clamp to total junk, no denying it!! Super light weight plastic!! Just telling it like it is!!
    Similar story to mine. Broke 2 mounts within a 3 months span. Contacted the distributor and was promptly sent replacement.

Still, overall, really love the light. I'm willing to let these issues get worked out as long as we eventually receive a quality mount that stops breaking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    A company that stands behind what they sell and fixes the problem in a timely manner is all people want!! A great product is in the little details, your almost there!!
    Agreed. I bought two lights and have broken three mounts. I had to buy a mount from Vancbiker so I could use one of the lights. Ituo has not addressed the issue in an adequate or timely manner and I am absolutely amazed at their callous attitude towards their customers. As far as I am concerned, the mounts are defective and should be replaced with better mounts at no charge. In fact, according to some forum members, there was an earlier version of the mount that worked just fine.