Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ITUO WIZ XP3 Triple XM- L2 U3 bike light

17K views 121 replies 12 participants last post by  TrevorJackson 
#1 · (Edited)
ITUO WIZ XP3 Triple XM- L2 U3 bike light prototype sample

BE AWARE, THIS IS A PROTOTYPE TEST SAMPLE, UNDER DEVELOPMENTS
ITUO WIZ XP3 Triple XM- L2 U3 bike light

Hi, I had to share this with you as soon as I got it. As you would see from the photos, this is not a finished product send for evaluation as first thought unless someone has robbed some of the bits from it! :???: This to me looks like a prototype under development. I take it, they just wanted to test the water first and get someone's opinion on their product? I will ask more questions to the manufacturer, but as you know, for the Chinese, this is party time. Year of the Monkey I believe So will have to wait until they come back to work. The XP3 came with a helmet mount and a remote switch. The switch itself looks like a job in progress as the lead appear to be the type often found on speakers, but the helmet mount does look like a finished article minus the straps.
Here some photos taken with my mobile phone, so quality is not great, but I am sure they will do for the moment.
Here are some pictures

Electronic device Cable Technology Electronics Wire

Electronic device Technology Cable Light Wire

Technology Cable Wire Electrical supply Electronics

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it, it is programmable, :thumbsup: double click from any of the 3 modes will take you in program mode, this time indicated by the battery light flashing constantly and not by the main LEDs flashing, it does also default to a 10% output, then a single click will cycle to the next level , once you have reached your 100% a further click will take you back to 10% and then 20% etc. I actually prefer this to the way their programming was done on the Wiz20. To come out of programmable modes, double click. Factory reset is by a long press from off, did not count but 5/6 second, then you get the usual 10 multi flashes to let you know, the light is back to factory settings.

#3 ·
Looks pretty good.

I think it probably needs more/deeper heat sink fins similar to the Glowworm XS. There's a whole lot of flat area on the top. Most people wanted a triple that is super bright, so that means high current and lots wasted heat energy that needs to scrubbed off.

Is that a a removable remote? That would be awesome.

I'm all for a programmable driver, but I double click all the time from low to high so wouldn't that put me in the programming menu?

Can you do a size comparison next to a Yinding or Solarstorm X3, it looks pretty small?

#4 ·
Hi Varider just about to switch off , when I saw your post, yes the remote is removable so you don't have to use it, i like the choice of using it or not. Don't know about the heat yet, but I would thing this is going to get pretty hot quickly, but will have to see. Regarding the program, if you did click to quickly from low to medium to high, this would happen! I did approach that subject in another thread, as like you I really use only two modes high or low, the 3rd one get in the way for me, but from what I heard a lot of the riders do prefer 3 modes. I suppose it does depends on your ridding! I supposed we should ask Ituo , if this could be done: to have a light which is pre programmable ie with 2 programmable or 3 programmable modes, so for people like us, we would only need a single click to cycle between the low and high?

#7 ·
Yep, I have the same problem with the programmable Gloworm X2. If you go from low to high too fast ( double clicking ) you go into "program mode". Not the thing you want to happen when you're about to tackle a steep technical trail. As long as you don't switch modes too fast it's not a problem but it's a PITA when you first do it and don't know what's going on.

I would prefer something like a " double press then immediately press and hold three seconds" to enter program mode. The lamp could then flash three times to indicate program mode. I think that would eliminate most of the problem.

I agree with SkyR, having a choice of two or three modes is a nice option. I like three modes for general riding but for "race" purposes a two mode is more expedient.

Other comments; I was kind of hoping it would be using a "wireless remote" "Wired" is fine for the bars though. Do the optics look like you can switch them out ( if desired )? I'm with the others, better heat management should be a priority.

#6 ·
AWESOME, 3 emitter head finally. Helmet gorpro style mount, removable remote, the same driver UI as the wiz20!!!! Nice to see Ituo has got it coming together nicely, needs a couple changes from what I see though:

FIRST HOOK IT UP and tell us what the voltage/amps draw from a fully charged pack is (so I can get a rough estimate on lumens)

I agree with varider on the fins,basically easy remedy is move the flat area with the Ituo emblem to the BACK of the light, and turn that area on top of the head into fins matching the rest of the case top and sides. Surface area is EVERYTHING when its a small light and going for high output.

Obviously I dont have it in hand to run my tests on (sphere, wind tunnel, and riding of course) but simply doing that would allow the light to operate at higher output with decent airflow.

Curious to know what they have planned for the battery connector. Guess Ill know soon enough.

Skyraider, would help to clarify that what you have is the prototype test sample. Might scare people away seeing those pics of an unfinished light :p

#12 ·
FIRST HOOK IT UP and tell us what the voltage/amps draw from a fully charged pack is (so I can get a rough estimate on lumens) :p
Tigris, sorry to sound dumb, but I do have cheap multi meter with amps reading, can you advise how to rig this up, so that I can check the draw! I supposed the best way would be to make an adapter to go between the battery and the light plugs? As the back now is sealed up with silicone! :madman:

#9 ·
Hi , Does anyone know how to change the thread name ie to change it to
ITUO WIZ XP3 Triple XM- L2 U3 bike light prototype sample

As you have seen from the photos, this is a unfinished prototype, very brave of ITUO to send this! :shocked:
This was tried at home on Monday night, with a fluxient battery, taken to work on Tuesday for my commuter ride back home, unfortunately one of the soldered joint on the power lead came apart, luckily This was spotted before connecting the battery. This is not surprising as the main lead came at a weird angle and was dangling loose as this is not even a completed prototype as all the inside are open. Got an old soldering iron and managed after half an hour to re-solder the lead. (Sorry guys but this was may first try on something that small, Wanted to be able to test it outside, after making a kind of backing with black electrician tape on the inside of the back plate, I packed the hole with silicone RTV to give some rigidity and water proofing to that power wire. Result, working fine and I was able to go on a nearby farm track to take some photos . Yes you can change the optics and use the Leddna types.

Photo taken at my usual place, approx 25 yards to reflective object on floor and 50 yards to fence and tree in the very back ground, only really seen on high. Photo taken 1.6s, F4, ISO 200
FIRST PHOTO IS THE WIZ20 SECOND PHOTO IS THE WIZXP3
Bicycle accessory Night Bicycle handlebar Light Bicycle
Green Bicycle handlebar Night Bicycle accessory Light

#11 ·
Photo taken at my usual place, approx 25 yards to reflective object on floor and 50 yards to fence and tree in the very back ground, only really seen on high. Photo taken 1.6s, F4, ISO 200
FIRST PHOTO IS THE WIZ20 SECOND PHOTO IS THE WIZXP3
Both batteries were not fully charged and I tried to have both light in an horizontal position, I kind of wonder seen the photos if the XP3 way have been pointing a little towards the ground as there is a hell of a lot of light on that pass!!!
THIS TIME BOTH ON HIGH
Green Bicycle handlebar Night Bicycle accessory Light
Bicycle handlebar Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle Light

#13 ·
Will get my DIY sphere this weekend and will get some lux figures, will also borrow a laser type temperature gun to see what the heat transfer is like , here is a better view of the fins, still not very deep!
Product Electronic device Technology Line Electronics

Electronics is not my strong point as I have never mod any lights, but this is how I see it, the back of the PCB is glued with thermal paste to the body of the lamp with only a small hole for the wires to go through the dividing wall to the reach a rear chamber where the circuit board is located. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A PROTOTYPE SAMPLE
I am still very surprised as why they send me a prototype at such an early stage, can't speak to them as they are on holiday, I supposed they wanted to know what the beam was like for riding ? I never used an in line triple, just quads (in a rectangle configuration) but so far, I like the wide beam on my short ride to the farm. I will play with some optics later on as well .

#15 ·
I was going to say that it does look like the XP3 is pointed down because of the huge hot spot about 10-15 feet in front of the bike, but you already noticed. I can only imagine how much that baby will light things up if pointed up a little bit. It looks like this is going to be another winner.

#16 ·
I was going to say that it does look like the XP3 is pointed down because of the huge hot spot about 10-15 feet in front of the bike, but you already noticed. I can only imagine how much that baby will light things up if pointed up a little bit. It looks like this is going to be another winner.
I was going to say the same thing. It definitely is pointed down too much. Way too much light in front of the bike.

So far though I like what I'm seeing. I can only imagine how nice this lamp might light up the distance with some tighter spot optics.

@SkyR, It sure would be nice if you could compare the Wiz product(s) emitter tints to some of the cheaper Chinese made lamps with neutral white emitters. Of course if you don't own any I understand.

#21 ·
Taken more photos this evening with the yinding from gearbest bought in january 2015 and the ITUO XP3, i was very careful that both lights were set at the same angle . I have got more photos that i will try to post Tomorrow night, both light on high, yinding first.
Brick Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Wall

yinding
Bicycle handlebar Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

ituo xp3
Green Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

The Yinding optic are different looking to the XP3 which I think are the same ones that are used in their X20

#22 · (Edited)
That looks pretty impressive. Nice even beam and very bright. I've been happy with the Yinding, but I'm looking for a light that's brighter.

Is there any chance you can take a picture in slightly different spot? It seems like there is hump or a curve at the end of the hedge, making it hard to tell how far the light throws beyond that. That's going to be big deal for a lot of people. How far is it to the end of hedge? It looks to be about 20 yards. If anything this particular location might undersell the light.

#23 ·
That looks pretty impressive. Nice even beam and very bright. I've been happy with the Yinding, but I'm looking for a light that's brighter.

Is there any chance you can take a picture in slightly different spot? It seems like there is hump or a curve at the end of the hedge, making it hard to tell how far the light throws beyond that. That's going to be big deal for a lot of people. How far is it to the end of hedge? It looks to be about 20 yards. If anything this particular location might undersell the light.
Will do, but not sure when, stormy weather on it way today and looking grim this weekend, I have a photo taken in day time on some of my older reviews, I will dig it out and post it. The reflective item is about 25 yards single tree on the right side in the background about 50 yards, the hump in the distance probably ,250 yards or more, it is part of a field.

#25 ·
Wow, that's completely different than what I was picturing in my mind. I thought it was some sort of double track in the woods that went over a small hump/curve and then went by a fence. But the fence is actually a hill. That looks pretty far out there. How far would you estimate to the top of the hill?

#26 ·
Hi Varider, yes that hill is a long way away,plus the fact that my measurement given in yards are not very accurate, I use the old military method I know that one of my long step is a meter length, checked a very long time ago and rechecked today, so we are really talking 50 meter (a little more than 50 yards) to that wire fence and single tree on the right. The brow of that hill is probably another 250 yards at the least and probably a lot more. It is difficult to find a place not too far from home and kind of remote enough that you don't get disturbed by people wondering what the hell you are doing. That night I also had my helmet cam on, so once I have found time to process about 30mn plus of filming, I will post this.

#28 ·
..It is difficult to find a place not too far from home and kind of remote enough that you don't get disturbed by people wondering what the hell you are doing. That night I also had my helmet cam on, so once I have found time to process about 30mn plus of filming, I will post this.
Believe me I know exactly what you are talking about. Even harder for me because I can't find a place secluded enough not to attract attention. Not to mention that the local police get very curious when they start seeing someone shining a light around in a secluded dark area.

#27 ·
""Nice beamshots! This thread I posted at BLF might help you with current measurements:
Contraption to Measure Current Pulled from Bike Light Battery Packs - REVISED - See Post #12 | BudgetLightForum.com""

Thanks Garry, I have just orded some, will be able to check the draw thanks to your advice:thumbsup: Nice one

#31 ·
Nice video Skyraider. Clearly yinding is the dimmest light of the three. Both the Glowworm and the triple ITUO are significantly brighter than the Yinding. It looks like the triple Ituo is a little brighter than the Glowworm X2 and has much more side spill (which I like). Is that your take as well? Were you using stock optics on the Glowworm and the ITUO? Just out of curiosity, which action cam are you using?

With the glowworm mounted on the helmet, it probably makes the light look better/brighter than if it were mounted on the bar. I wonder how the triple Ituo stack up against the Glowworm XS.

The Ituo seems to be pretty nice light. The removable remote, plus a button on the case itself is something that the Glowworms don't have. Plus the ability to use the ubiquitous gopro mounts which can be had for cheap. The $45 for the Glowworm quick release mount is a bit rich for my blood.

The big question is the price of the light head only option compared to the price of the refurbished Glowworms. Decisions decisions. Have they given you an idea of a price range? Maybe that's not a fair comparison. I think of Glowworm as high-end or at least middle-to-high end. I think of Ituo of going for the low-to-middle price range but maybe they are more eager to enter the premium market.

They are certainly hitting most of the wish list from the custom design thread.

At the bare minimum we should go for a very bright triple with lots of heatsinking.

I'll read the thread again later today but if I recall correctly the most requested things were
1) programmable driver
2) different optics as a kit
3) better mounts (gopro or cam-lever). Not just the usual rubber band mount
4) solarstorm type of mode switch (can they do it?). A nice positive click, not the weak button on the Yinding
5) possibly neutral white emitters or a choice of emitters with high heat conduction mounting base.
6) thick wiring to reduce resistive power loss
7) removable wired remote
8) relatively inexpensive ($40-$60 ?)

There were also some ideas about pointing one of the leds downward to provide a near field effect.
Edit: some explanations in the red text

#33 ·
Headcam is a SONY HDR-AS200V, really like it, but do come with very little accessories, which are very expensive to buy for what they are. XP3 is very bright and due to the width of the beam, I do find it very good as a bar light.I have not tried it on my helmet yet. Like you I think that having a a body switch plus a removable remote switch is a brilliant idea. Last year I purchased the Yinding as a lot of riders are praising it, but I was very disappointed with it output, I think my old Solarstorm X2 is better. I really like the Gloworm X2 has an helmet light, the tint is cooler than the XP3, is fairly tight and I feel like having a search light on my lid, you just need to get the directional adjustment right for it to work at its best. The only thing I dont like about the Gloworm x2 is the side bracket with the GoPro quick release, all a little to fragile for my liking and would much prefer a GoPro mount.
This turn up on my door step without much warning and just as they were braking up for their holiday. They should be back to work shortly, so will be able to talk to my contact to try to find a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.