Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ituo Wiz XP3

RAKC

Ituo WIZ XP3 Review

Here is the Ituo WIZ XP3 triple XM-L2 Neutral White light we have been anticipating.

(website isn't showing anything yet as I have the production sample, which I say is good to go)

Ituo WIz XP3 Light head only (includes everything except battery and charger): $149.99

Ituo WIZ XP3 Full Kit: $209.99

First impressions:

Quality build inside and out. A bit "plain" looking in appearance but its performance and functionality more than make up for that. Nice mounting options, Ituo has their quick release style handlebar mount which is really nice. Better than perma-mounting aluminum ones so I dont have huge gopro mounts on my bars. Pack is rather nice, neoprene (think xeccon) pouch, full rubber casing around the pack (ituo went with neon yellow instead of normal black). Charger is actually branded and looks like something decent. DSS is the brand, huge thumbs up there, no random cheap charger. And charges at 1.5A so another plus. And of course the remote. I still hold to my opinion button could be taller so its easier to find through gloves but thats the only "complaint" with it.

Included:

1 XP3 light head
    1 gopro style helmet mount
    1 QR gopro style bar mount
    1 6400mah Panasonic NCR18650BE 4 cell pack
    1 1.5A, 8.4V charger
    1 removable wired remote
    1 thumb screw and velcro strap
    User manual

Ratings:

-2300 Lumens Output (over 2400 lumens tested at 30 seconds, steady output for almost entire run time still a bit over 2300 lumens)
    -Run time is 2 hrs. Just barely makes it when ran on high obviously the entire time
    -Weight for the head is 108G (remote and mounts not included in that weight, never are with any light i know of)
    -Current Draw is 3A at fresh charge, increasing to 4.1A near the end before it drops off to 1000 lumen range. Holds pretty steady at 3A for most of the run time on high.

Last edited by tigris99; 06-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.

RAKC
    Low:

Medium:

High:

Video:

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigris99; 10-20-2016 at 01:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic. Looks verrrrrrry good! First question, does the XP series accept standard Vancbiker mounts or is going to be something custom? Please post all the specs. first and answer when you get time.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks schweet!

RAKC
    Mole

No standard vancbiker mounts WONT work as they are. The screws are a different size and 2 of them. But if needed I can get measurements for you to give Vanc. Or since you ordered an XP2 already, they uses the EXACT same mount so youll have it there in front of you when you get it to know what you need to make a Vanc mount work.

Last edited by tigris99; 06-19-2016 at 12:50 AM.

RAKC
    OP Updated
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-19-2016 at 12:51 AM.

mtbr member
    These looks super sweet! I's got to have one!
    Not that I really need another new lamp but the ITOU company is an innovative and new source for Quality bike lights that I really feel needs to be supported by the community. I am really looking forward to how this lamp sizes up to the other really good bike lights in today's market. Tig, prices please for full kit & headlight only as soon as possible.

RAKC
    currently $149.99 for head, $209.99 for kit. May change and there will be a pre order discount, just amount unknown currently.
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-19-2016 at 12:49 AM.

RAKC
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.

RAKC
    Deleted
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Light-head weight?
    Mole

RAKC
    108g head only

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:50 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a joke right, 210$ for a kit! Ituo kinda shoots over their heads, way over their heads.

RAKC
    I'm sitting here with them compared to Gemini amd gloworm. All in hand. The price is rather fair to say the least. Quality and performance all here.

Ituo isn't some cheap Chinese company.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Why are you sitting? We want a ride vid ASAP! Joking, what optics are standard issue for the XP3?

RAKC
    LOL im working on it, weather hasnt been cooperating, hopefully get a ride in this weekend with it, get at least a little video.

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, it's about three times the price I was hoping for, which was obviously very unrealistic. They are making top quality stuff which demands a higher price. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, but it's out of my price range right now.

I do feel like a chump though. We spent all that time going back and forth on multiple build-your-custom light threads discussing what would the perfect light. Then someone builds it and sells our own ideas back to us at top dollar. Initially I thought they were doing us a favor, but in reality we are doing them the favor. This will be a big seller and we did all their market research for them. Instead of giving my ideas (or our ideas) out for free, it seems like it's better to come up with your own company and try to sell it to everyone here. I can't be the only one on the forum who has come to this conclusion. Probably not the best place to post this, my apologies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Yeah, it's about three times the price I was hoping for, which was obviously very unrealistic. Obviously they are making top quality stuff which demands a higher price. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, but it's out of my price range right now.

I do feel like a chump though. We spent all that time going back and forth on multiple build-your-custom light threads discussing what would the perfect light. Then someone builds it and sells our own ideas back to us at top dollar. Initially I thought they were doing us a favor, but in reality we are doing them the favor. This will be a big seller and we did all their market research for them. Instead of giving my ideas (or our ideas) out for free, it seems like it's better to come up with your own company and try to sell it to everyone here. I can't be the only one on the forum who has come to this conclusion. Probably not the best place to post this, my apologies.
    That's how market research works. Companies gather information from their target consumers to make the most desirable product. By us investing the time to compile all the things we were looking for we insured that the XP3 was custom made just for us. Sounds to me like Ituo did us a favor and gave us the light we wanted just with quality parts throughout at a very reasonable price for what you get. Gearbest is still planning to build the "Ceap Chinese" version for approx. $50. So lucky us have a choice of 2 quality levels of the light we wanted. I'll happily pay the extra for the Ituo to get the better quality/a warranty/U.S. distributor with fast shipping. If you decide to get the Gearbest version I'll look forward to your review/impressions.
    Mole

RAKC
    Deleted

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I too was a lil surprised at Ituo's pricing. After using my wiz20 a while, I see the quality is far away better than the cheepies. I don't know if I'll shell out $210, but I'm glad I have another choice for a quality light.

mtbr member
    My thoughts; yeah it would have been nice if the price for the kit would have been under $200. Perhaps with pre-order discount we might be able to get a lower price. Lamp head only is still not a bad deal at $150.

Maybe it's just me but I was never under the illusion that this type of product was going to be sold at a rock bottom price. the price might be higher than expected but it is still in a reasonable range. ( not to mention that it might be the brightest 3 emitter lamp available at this time. )

I'm still waiting to find out when this project is going to be available. Also waiting on a discount code.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nevermind
    Last edited by varider; 06-19-2016 at 11:41 AM.

RAKC
    Deleted

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I'm just moaning a little bit.

RAKC
    Its cool, its the cost of wanting great build quality and options we want. Plus product support/warranty. We can have the basic functionality a lot cheap, but then we play the Gamble of if it even works when it arrives and if so, for how long.

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Yeah, I'm just moaning a little bit.
    I'm not sure what Ituo plans on doing with the XP3 but I got $30 and $25 off MSRP respectively on my Wiz20 and XP2 pre-orders.
    Mole

RAKC

The gloworm was done on a 6800mah Panasonic pack. But being as it's my primary pack for my bar lights, it didn't run the xs quite as long as a new pack would. Expect runtime to the same as the xp3, maybe a hair longer I'll have to look at current draw readings from the tests.
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    All in all, without ideas served to them from here all they would come up is just regular sh** that you can buy on ebay or aliexpress, on - low - medium - high - strobe - sos - off, thats all they know.
    Anyway, for 210$ there is a ton of options not limited only to bike style lights, flashlights also work fine.
    I was intrigued at the beginning, wondered how will this light turn up but now I am not even coinsidering it (maybe one day in far distant future when they achieve Nitecore or Olight or Fenix level (on their own) I may give them a chance), I got myself 2 x Nitefighters BC40S (15$ each from ebay, superb quality), made 2 x 2S3P battery packs with genuine panasonic cells (40$ each, including hunk-lee 7A protection pcb and that fancy magicshine plastic case)and that's a 110$ setup that can easily beat XP3 and XP4, maybe even XP5 if they survive that long to make one...

Don't know what else to say while I wait for night to come to try out Fenix BC30R that I got yesterday (from ebay, for half the price of XP3)...

p.s. Nice smiling kity you have there

RAKC
    Annoyed with childish and disruptive responses to a light that I have the only one in existance outside of the sample at the company. Dont bad mouth a product you dont have, have never seen or anything like that. Not unless its an issue with actual performance and design shown and posted above.

Btw. I also have a Fenix bc30r, didn't last 10 short rides before it broke internally. Not to mention their set up is 10yrs behind the times. I won't touch another Fenix product again. $140 paper weight is all it is.

Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Don't go Tig! Let him enjoy his fenix lol. Now get back to reviewing a real light..., the xp3

RAKC
    Deleted, was off topic
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-18-2016 at 11:46 PM.

RAKC
    And one final fact to point out as I just checked history:

Ituo had EVERYTHING except the removable wired remote before we said anything.

AND WE ALL TOLD THEM TO MAKE IT, LOOK AT THEIR THREADS ASKING FOR OUR INPUT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    And one final fact to point out as I just checked history:

Ituo had EVERYTHING except the removable wired remote before we said anything.

AND WE ALL TOLD THEM TO MAKE IT, LOOK AT THEIR THREADS ASKING FOR OUR INPUT.

Any information Ituo got here (voluntary on our part) they used to our benefit. Gloworm does this too and what we get are products from these companies that fit out needs.
    IMO Ituo did us a favor by listening to what we want and I'm happy to have another option when looking for a quality light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Dirt Road; 06-18-2016 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    delete
    Last edited by varider; 06-20-2016 at 10:07 AM.

RAKC
    OK enough with all the PM's guys. Thanks, As long as we can get back to normal things and away from that garbage, keeping on topic (and yes price is topic too, just not in the "manner" above) Ill continue this review thread.

No need for a "TL;DR" moment but Im doing my best to get real, unbiased info here. Havent been this excited about a light since we saw the BT21 last year. But numbers and everything I have in my hands doesnt lie.

Ituo in my hands has to compete against:

Cheap Chinese lights (all but 2 are modded to get desired functionality from them):
    2 SS X3: 1 modded one not (bought it for spare parts to make sure my other ssx3 stays going)
    1 SS x2
    2 Yindings (one modded, one just optics change)
    1 BT21 (modded to repair driver issues)
    1 heavily modded 880 clone
    1 BT70

Brand Name Lights (and I bought the gloworms myself to feed my desire for them):
    2016 Gemini Duo
    2016 Gemini Olympia (nice lights BTW, just got 2 major issues in my book, see thread)
    2015 Gloworm X2
    2015 Gloworm XS (only modded to us U3 bin 3D NW emitters, which I switched back to U2 Cool white stock emitter for comparison testing graphs, then now my U3 NW emitters again)
    Xeccon Z10 and Z11
    Fenix BC30R (which no longer works but was untouched till fenix asked me to open it then used that as an excuse not to warranty it since the ribbon cable had fried and I had purchased it from out of the country)

Break down for comparison:

-Ituo XP3 (and XP2) include full standard gopro mount compatibility. Only company that did anything better IMHO is gloworm, and thats only with the handlebar mount. Because its offset so lights are centered on stem. Gemini and such use band mounts.

-Ituo removeable wired remote. Only one that beats that is Gemini because their wireless SEEMS to work well for multiple lights. No issues yet on the trails. Near interference sources like phones, computers etc (inside a house, maybe urban area) it does get glitchy.

-Ituo 6400mah Panasonic pack: ONLY light to compare is the XS, which or a much higher price tag comes with 6800mah panasonic celled pack. Rest are 5200mah packs

-All have programmable driver except Xeccon but thats due to the insanely tiny size of the Z10 and 11, just not enough room in their for a chip that can handle all the programming needed. Ituo and Gemini both have it done right (IIRC on Gemini) its a true, rapid double click that requires a bit of concentration to enter programming mode. Gloworm failed at this.

-Thermal management control: Only Gloworm and Ituo have active control. Rest have a step down. Only Ituo takes temperature readings directly from the emitter PCB to better control overall temps (in theory) but gloworm program works nicely as well.

-optics: Ituo uses easily available optics that many of us have on hand. Gives us the most wide range of options for beam patterns. Gemini comes in second on that. Gloworm has 3 options, 2 are highly usable. The "flood" optic is the spot optic with a little more spill (not much but it can help)

-Button location: Only Ituo and Xeccon have top buttons, Gloworm only has the wired remote.

-Lumen Output: Regardless of how accurate my sphere is (which has been tested and recalibrated several times to ensure best possible accuracy) the highest reading still goes to the XP3 by a substantial margin (graph above)

-OVERALL BUILD QUALITY: All are pretty much identical. Each uses a slightly different design to achieve basically the same thing. Drivers are built with quality components, well thought out and executed. Case thermal transfer is all on par. Proper solid wall behind the emitters, each uses their own PCB for the emitters.

-PRICE: Ituo is almost identical to Gemini lights in price. Gloworm is higher, xeccon in between gemini/ituo and gloworm.

Light isnt perfect as Im dealing with: the light head battery cable is a bit on the long side considering the length of the cable on the battery pack. And the Hidden strobe is activated before completely shutting off. Putting off then hidden strobe modes I think may be better served in the opposite.

But like EVERY LIGHT, what is improvements for down the road? Us finding things for them to make better. Just like every light. One thing Ituo has done is taken us very seriously. Gloworm has been reading the complaints over the programming mode mess for a long time, nothing has changed yet. Gemini thermal step down has been a complaint that still remains (but according to some, worse than before)

Seems to me Ituo is trying to rise above and get into Gloworm (and others in that price range) market while having a Gemini and Xeccon price range. Bang for buck wins here so far. And if the wiz20 is proof of anything, these lights will last the test of durability, holding up as well as the best in the crap we put lights through.
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-19-2016 at 12:41 AM.

RAKC
    Oh and one more thing:

Was going to get a ride in tonight but celebrated anniversary with wife today (falls during the week next week) plus yard work in the heat this morning, chasing kids first half the day and so on. Too wiped out.

Going tomorrow night, may switch it up to the trail I used for the nightfighter review last summer for a change in scenery. And got a big even with my club next weekend, so be some drunken night riding going on (yeap Ill have at least 2 cameras going, maybe a bit buzzed myself at some point during it)

mtbr member
    I want to add something for those of you who live in warm climates to consider. I too like the Gloworm mounts for their ability to center the light but the side mount also eliminates the option of adding any additional heat-sink volume or surface area like Vancbikers excellent finned mounts. Gloworms thermal management is seamless and far preferable to a hard step down but being small lights heat build up near 100° and up you have considerable diminished output. At this point I don't have a XP3 W/Vancbiker mount to test but based on past experience with other lights am confident you would retain most of the lights max. output capability at higher temps. Big XP3(and XP2) advantage for hot weather riders over the Gloworm products.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Geez, there's a shit ton of butt hurt around here. All over what seems to be a good quality light at a reasonable price for what you get.

RAKC
    Ok got my ride in tonight!

Awesome ride, much better when I can dial my beam pattern in very specifically. Beat my personal best by 0.5mph, 54 seconds faster in 1.25miles. hit and humid so faster meant comfortable vs miserable conditions. So I decided to see how hard I could push it. Having the nice even beam from tire to as far as I wanted in front gave me a sense of daylight riding without all the distractions in my peripheral vision. Huge confidence boost. Was achievable via other lights but some situations (tight but punchy switchbacks and such) I'd be cautious. Instead now it's like riding with my XS on the lid but with more lumens concentrated down range.

The first longer fast section I ran in high mode. After checking out the throw from the top of the hill, I only went to medium modes which are set to 70% on the xp2 and 60% on the xp3. Did the rest of the ride on that including the fastest area of the loop.

Something I have never done before on clean hard pack in dry conditions, go fast enough around a corner my rear tire came loose without me having been touching the brakes. Realized I have a bit more handling skills that I thought cause didn't even phase me till after. Didn't mess my line up or anything.

Dialed in light set up (and dialed in bike now as well) made for the best ride I've had in a long time. Not saying its because of Ituo lights, but the ability to get just the beam combinations that work perfect for me came because of having several optics choices to work with.

Xp2 with a 45deg and 60deg optics. 45 deg gave me just a bit more throw out of the bars though hot spot isn't visible on the trail at all.

Xp3 was 2 10deg optics on the outsides with the 25 deg (which we think is more 15 deg with some extra spill) which gave me an awesome smooth batch of light from my bars as far as I could possibly need to see.

Also some have seen the hill off to the right of my normal beam shots, from on top of that the xp3 has enough throw and intensity with it that from the top of that hill looking down past where I stand for beam shots to the stables and such behind it. I could make out the horse pictures on the signs marking the trail entrance for them.

That's 350-400 ft I could make out the horse symbol on a 8x12 trail marker sign.

Yes I got video but you'll have to wait. Both my wheels are leaking a bit on my 29 (contrary to popular belief, gorilla tape doesn't do well for more than a season for tubeless, especially in my humidity). So switching to Kapton tape and putting my 2.35 xr2 on the rear to see how I like it vs the 2.2 I have.

RAKC
    Oh btw here's a couple pics from before the sun went down (haven't had a chance to get the video uploaded yet)

RAKC
    Alright a video segment for you guys. Whenever these cycles of nasty storms stop so the trails can dry a little I will try to get something done on more open ground (and hopefully the camera can get it all) so you can really see the full capability. The glare off the plants being really damp (high humidity) kept the camera from being able to pic up the light at further distances.:

XP3 on the lid, XP2 with wide optics on the bars.
    https://youtu.be/Cyg2UF_Jn6Q

PS, just realized half that video was me putting the bike on the car,lol. Ill get it cut down when I get a chance.

RAKC
    Update:

Went on a "camping trip" with the club and just a lot of other local riders.

Really freaking hot, over 90 and high humidity during the day, still mid 80s and ridiculous humidity after dark.

Same set up again, xp2 bars and xp3 on the lid. Made it about 10 minutes into the group trail ride (about 15 minutes from camp) when a friend's girlfriends light kept going out (cheap tri-clone thing, the place she bought it from didn't even match connectors. Solarstorm on light and ms on the pack)

So I gave her my xp2 off my bars and my pack so she could do the rest of the ride. Which left me with xp3 on the lid on my 2 cell pack for another 45 minutes. Thankfully I had switched the center optic to the slighting wider beam/bit more spill.

Was a fun as hell but we all looked like we just got out of the pool (including our bikes) by the time we got back just because the humidity was so high.

What I learned:

I can see how helmet lights work well alone. With a good mixed pattern you can see just fine. And alot better than a bar only light IMHO. You can see around corners with just a bar light which is why those of us that knew the trails were split throughout the group to call out sections that had little warning out of a corner.

I rode at speed when I could. I'm a "slow rider" so I started being towards the rear of the pack but I know that trail well and night ride all the time. So I ended up moving up to the middle. I'm definitely completely comfortable going at speed at night. Even on a trail I'd never ridden after dark (we got special permission from park rangers just for last night for 1hr. Enough to do a full loop)

Xp3 was definitely flawless, didn't mind the heat at all. Having truely customizable beam pattern made it able to be a single light ride for me and didn't even slow me down. And since I could still ride on medium majority of the time, even being over an hour the indicator on the light was still green just on my 2cell 3500mah pack.

mtbr member
    Was just on the Ituo Facebook page and saw what I assume are the XP3 pre-order prices.
    Light-head: 129.95
    Full Kit: 184.99
    Too good a deal for me to pass up!
    Mole

RAKC
    Ya goes on pre-order in a few days iirc.

I'm mad at myself though, the case did fog up, but on the outside. I FORGOT TO CLEAN THE DAMN THING so the bit of dust on the case gave the moisture in the air something to stick to. So no video of riding with just this as a headlamp

I'll get a short one next night trail ride, just wait for a section I feel comfortable doing it on. That park is very strict about it so I have no idea when (or if cause a couple of riders didn't listen and exit trails by the curfew, went off on their own and pissed the ranger off).

Other trails I'm not as comfortable with "testing" a single light set up on. Though still trails I ride regularly, that one I know inside and out. Really the only trail set I rode for the first 2 seasons I started riding again.

mtbr member
    Did my preorder on an XP3 Kit plus some extra wide/spot and flood optics this morning. My XP2 should be in stock next week so playing with that will keep me occupied till the 3 comes in. Might be time to revive the "Show us your light collection" thread when it gets here!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm still on the fence. I love the fact of the xp2 and its efficiency or the brute power of the xp3....? I don't understand Ituo speccing the same battery pack. Saves money but a 6 cell offer is prolly in order.

RAKC
    2 hrs run time on high is kind of a "standard" for lights. But instead of the way other companies do it (lower capacity pack) for their smaller lights, Ituo did it the other way. 2hrs in their big light and use that pack for the xp2 as well. 6 cell is an "upgrade" for other lights as well for those that want more runtime but for me at least, 2hrs on max translates to 4+ during actual use for me.

Hell I ran on a 2 cell 3500mah pack for over an hour. Low mode when we'd stop. Medium for a fair amount. High when things got fast.

And I still had a fair amount t of battery power left by the time we got back to camp.

Always something to think about when getting a battery pack. How much time are you actually going to spend in high mode?

As for decided between lights. Do like I did with Gloworm, just buy both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I'm still on the fence. I love the fact of the xp2 and its efficiency or the brute power of the xp3....? I don't understand Ituo speccing the same battery pack. Saves money but a 6 cell offer is prolly in order.
    The XP3 is actually more efficient @ any set amount of light produced. You have to run 2 emitters a lot harder to produce say 1500 lumens than you would 3 emitters so your battery run-time would be longer with the XP3 until you surpassed the amount of light the XP2 can produce. I really think in the long run you will be happier if you buy the XP3 but time is ticking and you don't have long to get an XP2 @ presale prices.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Good job!

Points taken.... I want the xp3. Prolly lighthead at this juncture. But that is a good-great battery pack for not a lot, shipppp!!! Edit, full kit ordered. too good a deal to pass on. And I need a good charger like everyone else!!

RAKC
    Time for a quick update here:

Been using this purely as my.helmet light and loving it with the 25deg optics for trail use. Programmed medium mode at about 1800 lumens and that's pretty well perfect for most things. Hit high mode for fast descents.

Haven't had time to hit the trails further from home as been rather busy. But a lot of time on the fat bike riding the home trail, randomly exploring or just cruising around after work.

Don't see much riding going on this week, going to be hot as hell for a bit. Too hot with high humidity for me to trail ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, and the 25d optics are sold out on Ituo's website.... What's the stock optics configuration for the xp3?

RAKC
    3 10deg spot optics.

mtbr member
    I was just about to pull the trigger on the Wiz XP3 when suddenly my flat screen T.V. went on the fritz. Bad enough I had to buy a new computer two weeks ago now the TV goes up... Smoke is starting to come off my credit card it's been used so much this month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I can relate! My preorder for the xp3 was made a few days before my son aka John Force
    Blew the rear end in my pickup. $1200 later my cc is gettin wooped on. Put myself on a self imposed ban from buying anything but ramen noodles. (And beer).

mtbr member
    I can relate! My preorder for the xp3 was made a few days before my son aka John Force
    Blew the rear end in my pickup. $1200 later my cc is gettin wooped on. Put myself on a self imposed ban from buying anything but ramen noodles. (And beer).
    Yep, the family guys probably deal with this kind of stuff all the time. I got told a month ago that my car was leaking coolant from the head gasket ( say it ain't so Joe ) . I was hoping it was just a leaking hose. If I do the repair it will cost about $1300 and likely another $200 for a rent-a-car while the car is being worked on. I'm still thinking about that as my car is 13 yrs old and has 98K miles on it. Not sure I'm willing to invest that much money in my old car. I'd buy a newer car but the timing and available money is all wrong right now. I've got too much **** happening right now that I have to take care of and only so much money to go around to fix all of it. Don't think I've ever dealt with a such a money draining crap-storm before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ituo xp3 is expected to arrive in the U.S. Early next week. I better get mine before MRMOLE! Very excited for this one as it clicks all my boxes for a great light. Gonna pair it up with my refurb gloworm xs for close to 5000lumens out the front door! $185 presale is a great price.

mtbr member
    Very excited .
    Me Too! Big group night-ride (usually 150+ riders) next Sat. that I hope to try the light out on. Glad they got the shipping/packaging issues worked out on the XP2 so there's no additional shipping delays. Do you know if they ever got more "Wide Spot" optics in? Those optics work even better in my XP2 than they did in the Wiz20. Think they should more appropriately (and politically correctly) be called "Plus sized" spot optics for their excellent beam width which should be even better in a XP3. By this time next week the wait should be over!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That's cool the 25d work so good in the xp2. I had emailed Keith at Ituo yesterday to install the 25d optics in my xp3 and to check on stock status of the xp3. Looks like 25d stock is a lil thin so idk. Waitin on another shipment apparently.

mtbr member

CAtman on board with the XP3

Just ordered the XP3 ( lamp head only ). My T.V. is in the shop and should only cost ~$200 to fix ( knock on wood ). That's better than the $500 to $600 for a new TV I thought I might need so I figured I could afford a new light since I would of been spending the money anyway. I will of course be using the XP3 primarily as a helmet lamp ( at least that's my plan ). I'm gonna miss the Gemini wireless remote lamps but when Gloworm comes out with their wireless lamps I'll likely pick-up an XS and move the XP3 to the bars. If things go good with both lamps likely they will be the last lamps I will ever *need to buy. ( *comic disclaimer: Not needing something and buying it anyway is still an option. )

mtbr member
    XP3 preorder prices are gone off the Ituo website. Hope that means the lights are in.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good news for us that preordered....

mtbr member
    Confirmed, Lights are in-stock!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Confirmed, Lights are in-stock!
    Mole
    Wow! Looks like I got in under the gun. Anyone know where these are going to be shipped from? The Paypal address was for someone in the USA I think. Anyway, I'll be checking my e-mail to see when it all ships. ( assuming they will email us when they start shipping ).

Just wondering: Is there going to be a discount code for the MTBR members? If so that would be nice, even if it was only for a month or so.

mtbr member
    Continued from my last post; Whoa! Just got an e-mail from ITUO. Shipment is on the way! With luck I may get it by this weekend. ( damn, already told boss I'd work Saturday... ). Can't wait to see how the ITUO stuff compares to the other lamps I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yep mine shipped this am. Getting pumped for this one.

RAKC
    My guess is the preorder discount was it. Remember were dealing with an actual brand like gemini and glowworm. I've never seen a discount code for any brand, just sales on older models and such.

RAKC
    Btw, I was going through my videos and found I did get some video when I was running this by itself on the group ride.

This is a big reason that neutral white emitters are 1000x better than cool white. Humidity that night was around 90% in the woods and temps in the mid 80s. Unlike cool white where I'd be getting a TON of glare off of everything including the air, everything looked natural.

I'll get segments pieced together and hopefully get good mix out of what part of the ride i did record. Should have just left it running the entire ride

https://youtu.be/QSmke6Chd0Y

mtbr member
    Judging by my XP2 shipping experience (to Arizona) of a couple of weeks ago we should have our lights by the weekend.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Got an expected delivery date for my xp3, 7/29. and I'll be home this wknd! Tigris, ya should have passed that fat bike so we could get some solo footage! Looks like a fun ride.

RAKC
    I took up the rear for the first part, with the other sweeper behind me. After a bit I did jump ahead of a few riders so I could blast for a bit. But that was the last bit of the return side of the loop. I wasn't in a big hurry. Was hot as shit. And half our group had never ridden trails at night.

There should be something in some of the segments I have where I let the fat bike get ahead so I could carry my desired momentum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Xp3 is sitting at my local post office and will be delivered today!

mtbr member
    Xp3 is sitting at my local post office and will be delivered today!
    USPS tracking update shows mine arrived at a sorting facility in Phoenix 13 min. ago. Still needs to be sent to my local post office but shows delivery today also. Will make sure my XP2 battery is fully charged so I won't have to wait on that and should get to ride some with it tonight (weather permitting). Cat should be getting his too so I imagine there will be plenty of activity on this thread the next few days.
    Mole

mtbr member
    XP3 in the house! Initial reaction, Looks sweet. Gloworm or better quality. I have to get to work so no time for a long report. More on it when I get home. I will say that anyone planning to use this on the bars will want at least one wider optic. The lamp definitely has a good dedicated hot spot with the stock optics. Should have killer throw but I'll know more about that by the time I get home tonight.

Two things I'm not sure I like; Beam tint not as warm as I'd like ( tint similar to Gemini Olympia ). Could be the U3 neutral white doesn't look as warm because it's so bright. I'll have to program a lower output to see how it looks compared to other lamps I have. Second, you have to hold the button down quite long to turn the lamp off. You hold, then it blinks about 2-3 times and then turns off. Damn, I like lamps that turn off real quick. ( Oh crap, I hear thunder outside. Suppose to rain today )

RAKC
    Ya they drop into flash mode before shutting off. I mentioned that on the XP series lights that putting the hidden flash after off would be better as flash mode wouldn't be often used by most. The flash mode is programmable though, has a 10% steady mode so at least it doesn't blink at you when you shut it off.

mtbr member
    The flash mode is programmable though, has a 10% steady mode so at least it doesn't blink at you when you shut it off.

Didn't know that, going to get my XP2 and change that right now. Thanks!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

First-impressions review

Mine arrived today. My first impression is generally positive.

Build:

Claimed weights are almost dead-on. On my scale, this is what I see:

12g Switch (claimed 12g)
    34g Helmet Mount (claimed 32g)
    45g Bar Mount (claimed 46g)
    113g Light Head (claimed 110g)
    306g Battery (claimed 296g)

The light head and battery pack feel very solid. The mounts are some sort of shiny black plastic. You can flex them a bit in hand, but they're quite firm on the bike. The fit between the mount and the light head is stiff. Like my Cygolite, it takes care and finger strength to dismount the light without jerking the mount.

Controls:

Basic controls are simple enough. I'm still learning how to use and adjust the blinking modes. I'm not fond of the off sequence. It takes over four seconds, half of that inexplicably in a blink mode.

Mounted:

Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2236.jpgItuo Wiz XP3-dscf2238.jpg

The lower bar is a Minoura CS-500. Keeps things centered without a swivel.

Beam Shots:

Keyed to the brightest setting of the XP3. (f/7.1, ISO 400, 1/60, 5000K WB)

Black Diamond Storm 2012, high (claimed 90 lumens)
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2227.jpg

Cygolite Metro 550, low
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2230.jpg

Cygolite Metro 550, high
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2228.jpg

Cygolite Metro 550, turbo (measured 600 lumens)
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2229.jpg

Ituo XP3, low default
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2231.jpg

Ituo XP3, med default
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2232.jpg

Ituo XP3, high default
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2233.jpg

Cygolite Metro 550 high vs. Ituo XP3, low default
    Ituo Wiz XP3-dscf2234.jpg

Potential Improvements:

* The off sequence, as above. It should be max 2 seconds hold to off.
    * The beam pattern. With this many lumens, I'd rather have more flood. As configured, it'd be better on a helmet than a bar.
    * The "low" setting isn't low enough for bike path use. I wasn't able to get it any lower than the factory defaults. Based on the Cygolite pattern, it appears to be putting out north of 300 lumens, not the 230 claimed. Hard to say.

I haven't taken it out for a ride yet or tested thermal management and output consistency. Assuming it holds up in this hot Georgia weather, I'd recommend this light even with the quirks above.

Tigris99, do you know which wide-angle lenses are compatible with this unit? Also, how did you program the blink modes? The method in the manual for the steady modes doesn't seem to affect them. (Double-click just returns you to the last steady mode.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good stuff alexdi! Beamshots look great. Get some ride video, and make me happy!
    Joking, I'm living vicariously thru yall til I get home to my xp3 Saturday..,

RAKC
    Actually should just be a double click ONCE IN the hidden flash mode.

There should be a lower output mode in the hidden flash options.

Also low is 10% iirc

Optics are available on their website where you would have ordered the light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Excellent, I just ordered both sets of replacement lenses. Very reasonable pricing. I'd have bought them from the get-go if I'd thought to look there.

I may need a walkthrough on the programming. I'm doing a press-and-hold for two seconds. This enters the first blink mode. If I then double-click, I go back to sustained light. It doesn't appear to enter program mode.

I'm also having trouble getting the remote to work. I'll run that one by Ituo. EDIT-- didn't have the connector pushed in hard enough.
    Last edited by alexdi; 07-28-2016 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sun going down soon and bike and light are ready. Just going to run stock optics to give her a test run.
    Mole

RAKC
    Sorry guys, I was wrong it's not a double click. It's simply go into the hidden mode (mode right before off) and select the mode you want.

I forgot to check about the ultra low mode, but i question whether that's there or not on these. I know it is on the wiz20, assumed it was the same but I may be wrong.

And btw, check the low mode, I think the preset is 20% so may be able to go one step lower. But remember this wasn't designed as an urban light(bike paths, streets etc), it's purpose is as a mountain bike light. Wiz20 is more suited for all around use as it has lower outputs available for such uses while having plenty to be a bar light on the trails.

mtbr member
    It figures that I get a new light and as soon as I open the package it starts to rain outside. Then it continued to rain off and on all day. I did get a chance to shine it around some yesterday but of course under less than ideal conditions. Sadly when I tried to simulate the lamp as a helmet light ( by holding it at head height ) there was just too much rain/moisture in the air to be able to judge it's throw. Of course when I held it lower ( as on the bars ) I was getting better results and the lamp appears very impressive.

I'm hoping tomorrow that the weather is more conducive for judging beam patterns. Sadly the weather forecast for the next 3 days is not promising. If I'm lucky perhaps I'll see only spot showers with a lot of dry periods. Those I can deal with. It's the rain that covers a whole area and hangs around all day is what I hate. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

I got a better chance to compare the beam tint when I got home last night. I'm still not sure but I think if the XP3 were to use at least one flood optic it might look almost as warm as the Gloworm X2 I have that is using NW emitters... ( My Gloworm has one flood optic ) , in which case I might decide the tint to be fine...jury still out on that though. I'm pretty sure though that it will look warmer with wider optics

I do indeed like the beam pattern. With the stock spot optics I'm expecting exceptional throw. Thanks to Tigris for explaining how the programming works. The "off" sequencing is very similar to the Gloworms once you set the flash to "*steady/flash", ( *this is a steady mode with a periodic pulse ). I wish it would turn off faster because I've been spoiled by the "instant off" of the Gemini's ( not to mention the Gemini wireless remotes ). I guess I can live with it though...at least for a while.

I ordered only the Wiz XP3 ( no battery ) so I thought I'd comment about that. The male connector on the XP3 lamp head includes a screw type sleeve behind the plug but surprisingly the connector works very well with my "round " Magicshine/Xeccon/Bikeray/Gemini type ( female ) connectors. Surprisingly the sleeve fits right over the top of the female plug and stays in place almost as though it was actually screwed on. Not as sleek looking as a normal connector but it works fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The tint on my wiz20 Is slightly cooler than my bt21. I noticed it when I was putting the spot optics in the bt21.

mtbr member
    Very impressed after first ride with the XP3. Stock optics, bar mounted, presets @ 40/70/100% on my ASU-West loop (24mi., 30/50/20% surface streets/dirt canal banks/flat dirt trails). Slightly narrower than my preference but still adequate beam width for this ride, stock optics provided tons of (GW XS like) throw and should make a very nice setup for helmet use. Way more power than needed and ran lowest setting (40%) most of the time only switching to higher levels when I wanted to see what she would do. Can't wait to try some of the accessory optics I purchased with the light. This is the best performing light I've ever owned.

Also ran the XP3 against my Gloworm XS with my light-meter.

Lux Test @ 2 meters..................bounce................Cent er-beam (x100)

Ituo XP3.....................................318....... ...................100

GW XS........................................275..... ......................96

Ituo Wiz XP3-002.jpg

Ituo Wiz XP3-003.jpg

Ituo Wiz XP3-004.jpg

Nice looking light too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Nice mole. Looks like Ituo is posting some great numbers. That mount looks stout!! Waitin on optics report, your 2 for 2 thus far! 

mtbr member
    Nice mole. Looks like Ituo is posting some great numbers. That mount looks stout!! Waitin on optics report, your 2 for 2 thus far! 
    It's a nice mount. GoPro interface swivels allowing horizontal adjustment (although I don't need it on this bike). Vancbiker makes nice stuff. I want to run both XP's through this weekend but next week I think I'll send my XP2 to him to use as a template so he'll be able to make custom fit mounts for the XP Ituo's.
    Mole

mtbr member
    It's a nice mount. GoPro interface swivels allowing horizontal adjustment (although I don't need it on this bike). Vancbiker makes nice stuff. I want to run both XP's through this weekend but next week I think I'll send my XP2 to him to use as a template so he'll be able to make custom fit mounts for the XP Ituo's.
    Mole
    I wish the stock Gopro mount on the XP3 were aluminum ( so an all aluminum mount could be used for optimum heat sinking to the bars. ) The ITUO mount looks like it's made of hard plastic. Nice bike MM BTW.

So far no rain today. Just wish I didn't have to go to work.

RAKC
    No way I'd want heat sinking to my bars, I run carbon fiber and being the temps lights can see I can't see playing the odds that it's not going effect them. That's also why I like the plastic, something that will break long before damaging my bars in a crash. Full aluminum system if the light takes a hit, chances are I have to spend the money to replace my bars.

That said, truth be told, aluminum system takes on very little heat so it takes a fair amount of time to have any effect but in a hot night running at higher modes the mounts do get hot. Which is why I stopped doing it. I'm already a big guy and even dh/fr bars I wonder how much abuse they'll take at my weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I wish the stock Gopro mount on the XP3 were aluminum ( so an all aluminum mount could be used for optimum heat sinking to the bars. ) The ITUO mount looks like it's made of hard plastic. Nice bike MM BTW.

So far no rain today. Just wish I didn't have to go to work.
    When my mounts come in I'll post pictures. Haven't had a single heat issue with my XP2 so far and of course only 1 ride on the XP3 but good insurance for me. Also I'm dealing with the possibility of rain too (pattern Monsoon Storms) so I'm never sure if I can ride in the evenings plus don't what to get that shinny fat-bike muddy.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I'm already a big guy and even dh/fr bars I wonder how much abuse they'll take at my weight.

Good thing you're smart enough to realize that. I've had too many others try to set up their bikes like mine only to experience reliability problems or worse because they weigh 100 lbs. more than I do ( it just doesn't work). So if I offer you a really nice set of light carbon wheels you know you probably did something to piss me off!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 07-29-2016 at 03:02 PM.

RAKC
    My bars are the ONLY carbon fiber part on my bikes. And that's cause of the vibration dampening against trail chatter. Takes a lot of shock out of my right wrist and elbow so I'm not in pain after long rides.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's a nice mount. GoPro interface swivels allowing horizontal adjustment (although I don't need it on this bike).
    I've sold a few to folks for their commuter bikes. They aim their beam a tiny bit to the right as well as down to minimize glare for oncoming traffic.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How does this compare in size to the GW xs?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

RAKC
    Same size give or take a couple mm

mtbr member
    I had some chances last night to do some shine-arounds while doing my job. No rain to deal with thankfully but still a lot of humidity and particulate matter hanging in the air. The Wiz XP3 looks like it's getting the job done. At the end of my work day I found a local trail head and quickly jumped out to do a quick shine-around. Whoa!, XP3 has some throw!..and some excellent spill, even with the spot optics. The XP3 really lights up the woods! I set the low mode to the lowest setting and it still has reach! I figure the low mode is still over 200 lumen. Can't wait to actually try it out on some trails. I've got a feeling though that the XP3 is going to take some juice once you crank it up to the higher output levels. Anyway, I've got to work Saturday but hopefully should get a good ride in on Sunday ( if it doesn't rain ).

If all goes good after the initial run-through I might try to install a kill switch somewhere along the power cord. I just have to find a good momentary switch that will do the job. I can't see having my hand on my head pressing a button for more that 3 sec. just to turn the lamp off.

@tigris and vanc; Not too many people running carbonfiber handlebars that I know of. Would be nice to have an aluminum Gopro mount to replace the little quick release adapter they have mounted on the lamp. Might not really be necessary though. All depends on how hot the lamp gets when on high

Anyone have recommendations on some medium flood optics that will work with the XP3? If I put the P3 on the bars just one good flood optic should add to the spill without losing too much throw. I might be getting ahead of myself though. I might end up liking it just the way it is , bars or helmet. ( hummm...I might have an old Gloworm or BT21 flood optic that might work )

Just had an interesting after-thought; Two Gemini Duos on the helmet Synced with one wireless remote....XP3 on the bars....now THAT would be Hellaciously BRIGHT! ....second after-thought; I wonder if it might be possible for ITUO to create a wireless ( BT ) receiver that plugs into the remote port?? Would that be cool?

RAKC
    Cat, Ituo sells the optics right on the website, it's posted a couple posts back lol . Their a couple bucks each. You can get the same optics from leddna but means you wait month or more to get them.

mtbr member
    Cat, Ituo sells the optics right on the website, it's posted a couple posts back lol . Their a couple bucks each. You can get the same optics from leddna but means you wait month or more to get them.

Yeah, I remember someone saying they ordered from the website. ( wish I had thought about that when I ordered.. ) I tried to look it up again and got an older website and they weren't listing anything. I finally got the right website from the link on the first page of this thread. They have all the listings for the products but sadly it seems they are completely out of all of the flood type optics. Could be ITUO under estimated demand. Thanks.

RAKC
    You probably got the company website for Ituo instead of the US location website. Gets confusing on Google search.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Raining like a beast hope it clears up! Got a 6 cell all charged. Gotta deliver some malt beverage piss water, then homeward bound!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast