Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ituo WIZ XP2

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    While I'm here, I am posting this to RAKC Ind.

I have a couple of things with my dual XP2 setup that I hope you can comment on.

1) My helmet light which currently is configured with Wide/Narrow lens seems much dimmer on medium and low than my bar light that is floor/wide. I thought it was the flood that reduced brightness but mine appears opposite. I have done factory reset on it so it should not have been reprogrammed. On high, it seems comparable to the other light but I still sense it is a little dimmer. Why might this be?

2) I am getting very erratic behaviour from my bar light when using the remote. I have to be very deliberate to push between button pushes to prevent it from going into programming mode. I have a process where I switch the lights alternately to prevent a double push. However, many times when the light is on high and I want to knock it down to medium I will press the remote but the light immediately goes into programming mode (rather than drop to dim). I then have to double press to get out of this. The double press does not always work though and the light settings get messed up (for example changing order from low-med-high to high-med-low-flash). Ultimately I manage to switch it off then I do a factory reset. Last night I think I had to do this about seven times on the ride. It really pissed me off. The helmet light does not have these issues. So I am wondering what is up and if some part of this is defective? I have reseated the remote cable in the head as you have said that can be flaky at times.

Finally, a recommendation for a future enhancement. The remote should not be allowed to go into programming mode. Programming should be restricted to the button on the light head. This way, it can still be reprogrammed but accidental activation of programming mode will not occur through the remote. For general riding the remote could be used for rapidly switching through the light settings low-med-high. I would add that the remote also should not be used to getting into special mode. That should also be activated from the light head. After all, normal/special mode is only selected once as you switch the system on. Remote should be reserved from changing the intensity of the light.

That's it.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The brightness issue is because a flood optic set up spreads the light in close, when mixed with wide spot it creates a pretty bright area in close. That's compared to the other where the hot spot is where the majority of the light is concentrated.

Basically it messes with the eyes for some people. This is why I go higher power on the helmet (xp3 in my case) as then it balances out better. For me I think it's more how sensitive your peripheral vision is. This is why some go with what we use for a helmet beam pattern on their bars as well.

But turn around and point it light at something 100yrds out and see which light does a better job of lighting everything up at that distance. That shows the difference.

It's hard to get up to speed on how it all works and why, I'll do my best to explain as best as I can (other guys will probably jump in too). But it's a personal preference thing. May try dual flood on the bars or go dual wide. It's why we offer options, not everyone likes the same thing.

As for the remote thing. That's a major task and costly as it involves an entire secondary circuit board and so on. Adds cost. But when everything works like it's supposed to (no glitchy remote port) it's all but Impossible to access programming mode while riding. I've tried to do it and can't.

Now as for the glitchy remote, send an email, we'll warranty that light no problem. It's not a common issue or anything (had a couple XP3s do it when they were released).

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The remote on my very recently purchased XP2 is all but completely worthless for the same reasons you noted TheNormsk. I'm seriously considering just not even bringing it on rides because it causes way way more trouble then it's worth. It's honestly a pretty huge letdown as this was the primary reason of going with this light over a much less expensive yinding.

The light is overall good quality, But I have to say for anyone considering any of the ITUO lights right now, consider the remote an absolute non feature of this light. It's not worth the materials it's made of.

I'm holding off on my review of this light so far because I'm still trying to sort out my usage of it... Right now I've had to spend another 75 dollars to get the handlebar situation sorted out once the oem mount broke.

Edited, Working with RAK to resolve.
    Last edited by minimusprime; 1 Week Ago at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I'm holding off on my review of this light so far because I'm still trying to sort out my usage of it... Right now I've had to spend another 75 dollars to get the handlebar situation sorted out once the oem mount broke.
    I did not use the OEM mount. I have been using this Garmin/GoPro mount instead. It's not high quality (alignment of the light is very dependent the mount being straight - mine is very slightly twisted) but it works good enough. I mount the head unit upside on the GoPro mount. The GoPro mount on the stem appears to be incorrectly sized so it is a little difficult to attach the light mount at first, but once attached you don't need to mess with it.

I'm now debating on getting two more of these for my other bikes or getting the more expensive K-Edge version.

Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    As for the remote thing. That's a major task and costly as it involves an entire secondary circuit board and so on. Adds cost. But when everything works like it's supposed to (no glitchy remote port) it's all but Impossible to access programming mode while riding. I've tried to do it and can't.

Now as for the glitchy remote, send an email, we'll warranty that light no problem. It's not a common issue or anything (had a couple XP3s do it when they were released).
    Thanks, I'll follow up by email.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I had PMd you previously asking what the issues were as I definitely make sure warranty matters are dealt with as quickly as possible. Not sure when you purchased your light but if you had issues for this long, why did you not respond or contact me? Would have had the matter taken care of as quickly as possible.

Even a customer being in Canada, it's no problem for us to take care of warranty issues.

I also handle warranties for ones bought off Amazon. Though until last month it was via Ituo directly only it doesn't matter:

ALL ITUO WARRANTY MATTERS ARE HANDLED BY ME DIRECTLY, RIGHT HERE IN CURRENTLY FREEZING COLD (though had tornadoes early this last week and now snow on the way tomorrow and Monday) NORTH WESTERN ILLINOIS. FULTON IL 61252 TO BE EXACT. Only way we could be more centered is to relocate to St. Louis MO. Lol.

To be honest out of the large number of xp2 and xp3's out there, I'm now aware of a total of 5 that have had electronic issues and need/needed warrantied. But if I don't know that a light is having a problem, I can't get it squared away.

Even the highest of high end can have problems in any product, that's why there is a warranty.

Thanks.

Last edited by RAKC Ind; 1 Week Ago at 09:34 AM.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    The remote on my very recently purchased XP2 is all but completely worthless for the same reasons you noted TheNormsk. I'm seriously considering just not even bringing it on rides because it causes way way more trouble then it's worth. It's honestly a pretty huge letdown as this was the primary reason of going with this light over a much less expensive yinding.

The light is overall good quality, But I have to say for anyone considering any of the ITUO lights right now, consider the remote an absolute non feature of this light. It's not worth the materials it's made of.

I'm holding off on my review of this light so far because I'm still trying to sort out my usage of it...
    Please, do yourself a favor and just get ITUO to replace the lamp you have ( on warranty ). Always a pain when you get something that doesn't work right but it happens. Doesn't mean the over-all product is bad. Like what was said, all companies have bad ones from time to time. I have a newer Gloworm X2 that also goes into programming mode if I "rapid fire" the remote to get to a desired mode. Nothing wrong with the lamp per say ( in this case ) I just have fast fingers. In case of the XP2 the ITUO's don't seem to have the same issue unless ( like you said ) yours has a problem and is going into programming mode. My Gloworm isn't fixable but yours is if you get it replaced ( on warranty I'm assuming ).

EDIT UPDATE; Poster that was quoted has since followed the recommendations and has resolved the issue with the manufacturer. This has been posted by request.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 1 Week Ago at 05:39 PM.

Hey all, I wanted to follow up on my flaky XP2 issue.

Good news!

It may have been a bad connection after all, I swapped the lights tonight so the narrow/wide is on the bars (the one that was flaky) and the flood/narrow on the helmet. During the swap one of the little o-rings fell out of the remote port of the head unit. I believe somehow the o-ring dislodged itself from the housing of the remote and got between the male and female parts preventing a good fit - sort of acting as a condom! So while it seemed like the remote was fully connected it may not have been.

Testing with the remotes in the swapped heads and the o-ring properly seated I am finding the lights are acting properly and it is now not dropping into programming mode by accident. In fact I can double press within about a 1/2 second and the light will cycle through low-med-high as it ought to. It requires a very fast double click to get into programming mode.

I have not done a ride yet but just in testing it appears to be good. So I wanted to follow up just to let others know that the reliability of the lights appears to be good but if you do have any weirdness in the remote, check the seating of the tiny clear o-ring that sits on the male plug.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Thats awesome and something I never thought to mention. That entire set up is rather tight fitting and touchy (but its water proof and removable, so has to be).

Keep us updated!

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that TheNormsk . Getting to know your light through others experiences is one of the great things about MTBR. Never had that problem with my XP2/XP3 but will now know what to do if it ever pops up.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Hey all, I wanted to follow up on my flaky XP2 issue.

Good news!

It may have been a bad connection after all, I swapped the lights tonight so the narrow/wide is on the bars (the one that was flaky) and the flood/narrow on the helmet. During the swap one of the little o-rings fell out of the remote port of the head unit. I believe somehow the o-ring dislodged itself from the housing of the remote and got between the male and female parts preventing a good fit - sort of acting as a condom! So while it seemed like the remote was fully connected it may not have been.

Testing with the remotes in the swapped heads and the o-ring properly seated I am finding the lights are acting properly and it is now not dropping into programming mode by accident. In fact I can double press within about a 1/2 second and the light will cycle through low-med-high as it ought to. It requires a very fast double click to get into programming mode.

I have not done a ride yet but just in testing it appears to be good. So I wanted to follow up just to let others know that the reliability of the lights appears to be good but if you do have any weirdness in the remote, check the seating of the tiny clear o-ring that sits on the male plug.
    Interesting... the o-ring for my remote also disappeared on my first ride. I checked the light head thoroughly to see if it some how got lodged inside the light head but didn't see anything. I'll check again when I get home today.

for those following along in my never ending saga of the quest for night riding bliss... Keith from ITUO/RAK cross shipped me a new light head with literally zero fuss. TBH, in all my years as an internet consumer, I've never had a single vendor cross ship me something without charging my card as a deposit.

In the world of Amazon, and other massive publicly traded high volume low margin e-tailers... it's very rare to be impressed by customer service. Color me impressed. In truth, I should have handled all of this internally before ever coming to the boards....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Luckily I have not had the remote issue you experienced and from your most receint post glad to here you got this worked out. My guess is if you were willing to spend the extra money to get the XP2 that even not considering the remote you'd still be a lot happier with it over the Yinding. Yinding is great for the price but only makes about 60% of the XP2's power (measured with my light meter) and has the worst mode switching button I've ever used of my 20+ lights (Ituo has the best - 1 finger). Yinding is also very prone to overheating which is not an issue with the XP2.

What mount system did you spend $75 on? I've been using "Vancbiker" mounts. Excellent products and less than what you spent.

Ituo WIZ XP2-002-4-.jpg

Mole

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

What mount system did you spend $75 on? I've been using "Vancbiker" mounts. Excellent products and less than what you spent.

Mole
    I use my lights on three different bikes, two with 31.8mm bars and one with 35mm bars. That being the case, the vancbiker handlebar clamp wouldn't work. I ended up getting one of his 2 bolt go-pro compatible mounts and then getting a gopro pro handlebar mount.

https://shop.gopro.com/mounts/pro-ha...AMHSM-001.html

Ironically it's very very similar to the vancbiker setup that you have, but it accommodates different bar clamps. It's overly expensive and is made of all aluminum which is nice, but does not provide a failure (sacrificial) mode for crashes... I'm working on getting a plastic gopro adapter integrated so there is some where for it to break. I'm going to night ride tomorrow so I'll get it all setup and take pictures tonight.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    OMG, GoPro is really raping the brand name on that one damn. Nice mount no doubt but $60, ouch.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice setup. Look forward to seeing it mounted to bike/light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OMG, GoPro is really raping the brand name on that one damn. Nice mount no doubt but $60, ouch.
    Nice mount. There may be a pretty good markup going on there, but really when I look at it it seems fairly priced for what is likely a lower volume seller for a corporation.

Their clamp halves are 2 different pieces where my upper and lower clamp pieces are identical. Then they have all the rubber adapter sleeves. Mold costs have to be amortized into the projected sales.

Personally, I choose to make individual sizes as I don't care for using size adapter sleeves on my own stuff. Particularly when using a mount that can fit a 35mm bar on a 22.2 bar. The mount and sleeve would look way out of place IMO.

One thing I see with selling the GoPro light adapters is that the majority of riders seem to leave the GoPro mount on the bike all the time and just switch out what they are putting on it. Camera for day rides and lights for nights.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I'm mostly that way, I don't take my mounts off usually.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Photo Overload, because why not.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I'm guessing that little extension isn't needed? Makes for a nice little set up but I'm still like "WTF" on the price tag. Especially when it price wasn't stupid they would sell a lot more.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm guessing that little extension isn't needed? Makes for a nice little set up but I'm still like "WTF" on the price tag. Especially when it price wasn't stupid they would sell a lot more.

The extension is a plastic gopro adapter. I wanted to add it so that I had a failure point in the mounting solution. Overall I'm happy with this setup. It's needlessly expensive but it's solid and and usable on a wide range of bikes. The nice thing about the extra little knuckle I have in there is that it gives me the opportunity to keep one of the joints hand tight (instead of gorilla) which allows on the fly angle adjustments.

FWIW, there is something funky with the ITUO iteration of the gopro mounting solution. Once you mate a gopro mount to the ITUO quick release gopro adapter, it starts to get jammed up. My guess is that the 2 slot gopro adapter that is provided with the ITUO lights is a bit too short and causes some interference when you mate them together enough to slide a bolt through. It feels like 2mm more space would make the difference. This is by no means a game breaker because everything fits together with a little umph behind it... but it's easy to put too much force into it and snap the oem ITUO mount. Although, it could easily be debated that this is a feature instead of destroying the light head during a crash.

I use the Elecor Outfront mount to mount both my garmin and the XP2.

It's cheap ($15) and works well for the cost. It gets the XP2 out front and infront of my cables. Plus it is nicely centered on the bars. It's plastic so it will provide the point of failure if needed as well.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Being that he has a Garmin too I surprised that idea didn't cross his mind. Xp2 is lighter than a GoPro, would make a great solution for those running garmins.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I really don't want my garmin in front of the handlebars for a few reasons:
    1) Hard to see that far away. I do a lot of riding where you spend 2 hours straight climbing and then 30 minutes descending 5-10 continuous miles. It's tough to see the garmin at speed if it's that far out in front while going downhill.
    2) Over the bar protection. I ride at the limit often and crashing is a part of the sport. I've crushed a few garmins over the years having them that far out front
    3) Stability of the mounts. Here in socal, chop and tech is the name of the game. The out front mounts tend to vibrate and shake. This bugs me both with regards to the light and the garmin.
    4) Aesthetics, there I said it... I run one of those mounts on my road bike... but I don't want them on my mtb.

mtbr member
    Decided I'd see what all the fuss what about and ordered an XP-2 kit on Monday. Out for delivery now in NorCal...fast shipping!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .......3) Stability of the mounts. Here in socal, chop and tech is the name of the game. The out front mounts tend to vibrate and shake. This bugs me both with regards to the light and the garmin.
    I can't believe that a plastic "out front" style mount would be stable for trail riding with the weight of a GPS and light or camera hanging on it. The aluminum one like K-edge is very stiff. I've used one of the K-edge clones with just a light and could not see any added vibration or shaking of the light. Usage is everything though. Possibly fine for road use.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Well I ride in the Rocky Mountains which are fairly... rocky.

I have not ridden with the Elecor in the high mountains yet this year as they are covered in snow still (did take it fat biking though). For the dry trails down low I have not noticed any instability when plowing at up to 25 mph through rougher terrain (then again my Fox 36 smooths things out a lot). Last year I was using a SRAM plastic Garmin mount out front and that was rock solid. That mount did not have the GoPro attachment though.

I found the Elecor seemed wobbly at first but I found that it needs to be fully tight (the opening around the bars need to be fully clamped shut). Once it tight it is solid for the XP2/Garmin combo.

If you want a more solid mount for an actual GoPro then you should probably go with the K-Edge but that is $65. For just XP2/Garmin duties the Elecor is just fine.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Funny you should say that vanc, I'm making a similar (but longer) mount for my road bike right now. Get my light down low.

But using aluminum. If it doesn't take me too long I may make another one (shorter) for my plus bike. Not enough spacer in that one for a minoura mount (which is kind short reaching anyway)

www.rakcindustries.com

Action LED Lights
    3) Stability of the mounts. Here in socal, chop and tech is the name of the game. The out front mounts tend to vibrate and shake. This bugs me both with regards to the light and the garmin.
    The Morsa mount is very stiff, being made of carbon fiber filled nylon and being fairly beefy. Allows you to mount a variety of things up, down, in or out.
    Ituo WIZ XP2-10672391_826681594030325_7089006859679285743_n.jpg
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Ituo WIZ XP2

I'm still trying to figure out my preferred lens set up.

I started with flood/wide on bars and wide/narrow on my helmet. It was good but I felt the bars were lacking throw and the helmet lacking flood. So I swapped them.

Swapped did not feel right either. The flood on the helmet was nice but now I felt like I had no spot. Conversely the bars lacked the spread and seemed to bounce around more (hey perhaps my plastic mount is bouncy after all).

So I've ordered another flood lens. I think this time I will put a flood/narrow on both lights. Hopefully they'll feel balanced and I'll get a good compromise of flood and throw.

I'm also getting three more quick releases/GoPro mounts so I can easily swap the lights between my three bikes and two helmets.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm still playing with optics as well. FWIW, I'm currently running 2x wide spots on the handle bars and 1 flood and 1 narrow spot on my helmet light.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Your surprisingly running about the opposite of most. I've always kept my wider patterns on the bars, run a combo of wide and narrow on the lid.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    I just got my XP2 package in, and it looks good. Except for one thing: I slid the light head onto the quick release bracket, and now it won't come off. The tab that looks to be the release doesn't actually release the light, so it's stuck on there. Anyone have this same issue?
    "Got everything you need?"

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You put it in backwards. A few people have done this (doesn't go in backwards easily, kind of have to force it)

There's a little metal pin, use something to push it out so the latch falls out then light will slide out.

www.rakcindustries.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456