Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363

    Its been awhile..trying to salvage my L&M Cabeza Logic

    Been a long time since I have been active here and even longer since I was in the market for a light. I need a little help deciding just how much light I really need and what, if any, differences there are between 300lm from a halogen setup vs 300lm LED. Basically my situation is this...I have run a single L&M Cabeza Logic since the early 2000's. I think its rated in the upper 300's in terms of lumens and runs off of 7.2v NiMH batteries. I've loved the light and have always felt I had enough light for just about any riding (I've done everything from endurance races to dirt jumping (don't ask) with it and it been great. Problem is that my batteries are about toast and L&M wants $160 to replace the battery and charger with Li-Ion batteries. Hmmm, looks like I either need to find someone who can rebuild my NiMH batteries with new cells (I'd love this option btw) or get a new light altogether.

    This brings me to what choice is going to be best for me. I don't plan on doing tons of night riding and as I mentioned, my 300+ lm halogen seemed like plenty of light to me in the past. Now, I'm seeing all of this 1000+ lm stuff and cannot even imagine it. That said, L&M will offer me a trade in on a Stella 300 for less than the cost of the battery and charger for my old Cabeza so that immediately puts it in the running. My question is whether the 300lm LED Stella will appear brighter than my old 375ish lm halogen light. I was also considering the Cygolite 740 Turbo near that same price point but the lack of a helmet mount makes it less appealing. Of course, there is always the MagicShine/Geoman route that I've read tons about here.

    Soooo, with budget in mind and knowing what I am used to already, what's the best route to take? I'm even thinking that if I could get a rebuild on my current batteries and pick up a second light for the bars, I'd have way more light than I have been accustomed to and still keep the cost reasonable.

    PS, I'd be looking to pay somebody to rebuild those NiMH batteries if anyone here has the expertise (which I know some do) and desire to take it on. PM me if so.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  2. #2
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,249
    For $169 you could get a DiNotte XML1, great light, brand new, far more than 300 lumen. I'd pick it in a heartbeat over the Stella.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  3. #3
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    For $169 you could get a DiNotte XML1, great light, brand new, far more than 300 lumen. I'd pick it in a heartbeat over the Stella.
    Thanks Randy. Truth be told, I did some reading here today and I am really getting excited about the Gemini lights. I'll check out that DiNotte you mentioned as I've seen that. Name coming up a lot too.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,292
    might be worth searching for 7.4V li-ion packs with PCBs (to prevent overdischarge) and an accompanying charger - a 4 cell 7.4V pack should set you back ~$30-40 and a charger ~$15. Then all you'd need to do is splice the old pack wire onto the new pack.

    Or you could trade it in for a Baja designs Stryker ($180 or so with the $100 trade in?) or go for the Xera or DiNotte. I'd personally go for the Stryker first as a bar light, then save up for one of the others for a helmet light. Honestly, once you have a good light you'll be riding at night a lot more!

    One thing to bear in mind if you want to get an LED light to run with your fix halogen is that the light colours (yellowish for halogen, blue-white for LED) most likely won't mix well.

  5. #5
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    might be worth searching for 7.4V li-ion packs with PCBs (to prevent overdischarge) and an accompanying charger - a 4 cell 7.4V pack should set you back ~$30-40 and a charger ~$15. Then all you'd need to do is splice the old pack wire onto the new pack.

    Or you could trade it in for a Baja designs Stryker ($180 or so with the $100 trade in?) or go for the Xera or DiNotte. I'd personally go for the Stryker first as a bar light, then save up for one of the others for a helmet light. Honestly, once you have a good light you'll be riding at night a lot more!

    One thing to bear in mind if you want to get an LED light to run with your fix halogen is that the light colours (yellowish for halogen, blue-white for LED) most likely won't mix well.
    Thanks!

    something like this? Tenergy 31007 Li-Ion 18650 7.4V 4400 mAh Rechargeable Battery PCB module with 20AWG Bare Leads

    and this? Tenergy 01211 Universal Smart Charger for Li-Ion battery Pack (3.7V - 14.8V, 1-4 cells) TLP-2000

    I could shop around for price but this seems to be in line with what you said.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,292
    no worries

    both of those would be fine, although you can usually source cheaper single voltage chargers (Geomangear sells one for Magicshines which use that voltage battery) that also have a higher charge current. 0.5A charging a 4.4Ah battery will be overnight at least. 1-1.5A will be fine and be much more useful.

    Hobbyking (has a US warehouse) is a good source of battery packs too.

  7. #7
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    no worries

    both of those would be fine, although you can usually source cheaper single voltage chargers (Geomangear sells one for Magicshines which use that voltage battery) that also have a higher charge current. 0.5A charging a 4.4Ah battery will be overnight at least. 1-1.5A will be fine and be much more useful.

    Hobbyking (has a US warehouse) is a good source of battery packs too.
    gotcha, thanks Matt! last (for now ) question...in terms of splicing it all together is it as straightforward as splicing any multi wire setups together? If so, I'm finding a battery pack and charger today!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,292
    if the original battery/ plug has only 2 wires, then yes, it'll be dead simple. I don't think halogen systems have ever used 3 wire setups, but I could be wrong.

    Any way, if it's a 2 wire setup, wire and solder black to black and red to the other one (red or white or grey, who knows). Put some heatshrink (homedepot/ radio shack etc) over each join and a bigger piece over the splice site and you're done. Avoid using electrician's tape as it's crap for stuff like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Should I salvage, or start over....
    By RideSmiles in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
  2. Salvage Manitou 2?
    By Spastook in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
  3. 1996 990--Salvage?
    By thinksnow in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 08:49 AM
  4. Looking for old Cabeza batteries
    By teamdicky in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
  5. take a look at this, my pawls shattered... any way to salvage the hub??
    By Biandon in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •