Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Seeing that this is a Xeccon "promotional thread" comments about failures with other products is a little off topic. Still, there will always be problems with cheap batteries and people do need to know that.

Personally I have four of the Xeccon batteries; one four cell, one hard shell 6 cell, one Li-Po battery and one two cell . The four cell is entirely encased in a rubberized cover ( as is the two cell battery ). Inside the rubberized cover the cells are also sealed in plastic shrink wrap. The end of the rubberized cover has a slotted plug to enable access to the battery. It seals very well when closed. The wire to the battery also has a about a 40mm protrusion of rubberized material surrounding the wire where it enters the battery. I can't see water finding a way in that way as well. Very good set-up.

The hard shell 6-cell looks, well...bullet proof. It is completely surrounded by the hard plastic shell with a bit of rubber protecting the wire entry like the other battery. The Li-Po battery came with a neoprene cover. Likely it is not very water proof as it has lots of seams and slots where water could enter. The battery itself is encased in a type of rubberized tape. As I see it water would have a very hard time getting into that battery set-up.

Now with all this said what is used on their present set-ups is not specified in their ads. Len or someone else will have to comment about the coverings on the present batteries. If by chance they are all encased in rubber or plastic there should be no problems with water ingress.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well yeah, this may not be the best place to post this info - but I thought that it would be interesting for comparison.
    I'll make a separate post about chinese batteries in the future, with descriptions and measurements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Len or someone else will have to comment about the coverings on the present batteries. If by chance they are all encased in rubber or plastic there should be no problems with water ingress.
    Hey Cat, we're still waiting for the silicone boot to be fitted to six celled battery packs. We received our 7800mAh Samsungs but they are still in a blue shrinkwrap with round connectors. If anybody needs it to be waterproof then hard shell is the way to go for now. Batteries heading to Bloomington for the mtbr USA specials is a little delayed. Faye and others are at Eurobike. We'll sort out the pre-orders as soon as possible. Apologies to those still waiting. Also we've been sending these batteries to other countries. We ship via Singapore Post when you choose the free shipping option. Pay the extra $15 shipping and it'll be bumped up to express.

Thought we're going to have a tough time identifying which is BAK and which will be Samsungs but, Xeccon is making it easy. Hard and soft shell 6 celled batteries will be fitted with Samsungs only from now on. No BAKS. Will update if there's any change. Example in pic.

Also, been testing the Geinea II. Brighter than the Sogn 900 while only fitted with XM-L U2. Throw and spread is decent for this small triple reflector light. Driver is in the controller and powered from a hard shell 12.6V 5.2AH. My runtime test on max brightness is 3 hours 10 mins. The light head is a weighty mass as usual but thermal management is priority. As with all new Xeccon product lines, they come with alloy camlock mount as standard. Fitted it to my center mount for stills and videos. This light has a pretty good strobe pattern and if fitted with amber and red XP-Es, it'd be overkill but it will rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-2-alloy-camlock-mounted.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-ii.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-ii-remote.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-hard-shell-battery.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-geinea-rears.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-samsung-cells.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Hey Len, I was looking at your battery offerings on-line the other day and couldn't help but notice that you don't offer any 4-cell set-ups in the 5200 to 5600mAh range. It would be great to see a 4-cell battery made with either Samsung or Sanyo cells in this capacity range. The 6-cell set-ups you have are great but sometimes you don't need all that capacity and 4400mAh is just a bit short.

On a side note, that Li-po battery I got from you is working great. Is this the same battery as the Tobest 6000mAh you now sell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hey Len, I was looking at your battery offerings on-line the other day and couldn't help but notice that you don't offer any 4-cell set-ups in the 5200 to 5600mAh range. It would be great to see a 4-cell battery made with either Samsung or Sanyo cells in this capacity range. The 6-cell set-ups you have are great but sometimes you don't need all that capacity and 4400mAh is just a bit short.

On a side note, that Li-po battery I got from you is working great. Is this the same battery as the Tobest 6000mAh you now sell?
    Hey Cat, yes it would be good to fill that gap between the 4400s and 7800s but in our experience to date, not many are interested to pay $15 more for a 5200 to 5600. Rest assured we'll get nods when I say consumers are looking for 15% extra without paying a cent more. I will ask Faye about 4 cell packs most probably in Samsungs when she comes back from her German excursion.

Yes, the Tobest 6000 is the same one you have. I use it to power the two S12s on my noggin. My eyes says it's brighter but the machine is saying different. Apparently it's a color temperature thing, so said one of my customers. Our eyes see it but the machines can't register it. Anyway Xeccon has ruled out LiPo so once our lot is sold, it'll be phased out. Adding a pic of a product we didn't bring to market 3 months ago as we felt it conflicted with the Sogn 900.

Speaking of Sogn 900, there will be a comprehensive review here soon. It will be one of those scary tear downs but I think it's time we had one of those done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hey Cat, yes it would be good to fill that gap between the 4400s and 7800s but in our experience to date, not many are interested to pay $15 more for a 5200 to 5600. Rest assured we'll get nods when I say consumers are looking for 15% extra without paying a cent more. I will ask Faye about 4 cell packs most probably in Samsungs when she comes back from her German excursion.

Yes, the Tobest 6000 is the same one you have. I use it to power the two S12s on my noggin. My eyes says it's brighter but the machine is saying different. Apparently it's a color temperature thing, so said one of my customers. Our eyes see it but the machines can't register it. Anyway Xeccon has ruled out LiPo so once our lot is sold, it'll be phased out. .....
    Well bust my britches..how can anyone be interested in something that they don't even know exist? Really, finding good 5200 to 5800mAh batteries is getting hard to do. Now I do know of two places but the price could be better.

Your 4400mAh battery is about $26 USD ( which, is a very good price ). I figure if the cells are about $2 more a piece that's $8. Sell them for $40 and you'll corner the market because everyone else sells them for more....BUT...what the hell do I know, I'm old school. Maybe you're right, maybe no one wants these anymore. I just keep thinking about the kid who bought a cheap Chinese lamp/battery and wants something better than his 3000mah 4-cell junker battery ( without breaking the bank ).

You tell Faye I said the Li-Po's are worth keeping ( as long as they sell.. ).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Confusion

I read the last few pages and I am confused. What site do I use to place an order? Also, can I get the Geinea front light as a light head only with the adapter to Magicshine connectors? I am heavily invested in that connector at this point with many multiple front lights and rear lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    I read the last few pages and I am confused. What site do I use to place an order? Also, can I get the Geinea front light as a light head only with the adapter to Magicshine connectors? I am heavily invested in that connector at this point with many multiple front lights and rear lights.
    Hi Maximus, the main website is mtbRevolution | Xeccon mtb Racing Bike Lights | Road & Commuter LED Lights. Our old Australian site www.magicshineledlights.com.au still redirects to mtbrevolution.com. So any Google result will get you to the main site.

Yes you can get an adaptor to convert Geinea's square connector to MS' round connector. It will connect without the adaptor if you choose. It just won't be waterproof but water resistant enough.

BTW. Geinea III will be coming soon. It's a self contained USB rechargeable rear light.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-16-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixing links
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks!

I do not like self contained lights because they become junk when the battery dies. My MS rears have lived past the original batteries and still work phenomenally well. I do not see me replacing them anytime soon.

Does this mean that the front Geinea is not available alone? I did not see you address that question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    Thanks!

I do not like self contained lights because they become junk when the battery dies. My MS rears have lived past the original batteries and still work phenomenally well. I do not see me replacing them anytime soon.

Does this mean that the front Geinea is not available alone? I did not see you address that question.
    Sorry about that. We can arrange that but really depends on where you are. We're flexible but it must be viable.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-16-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo galore. using mobile before
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Maximus, the main website is www.mtbrevolution. com. Our old Australian site www.magicshineledlights. com still redirects to mtbrevolution.com. So any Google result will get you to the main site.

Yes you can get an adaptor to convert Geinea's square connector to MS' round connector. It will connect without the adaptor if you choose. It just won't be waterproof but water resistant enough.

BTW. Geinea III will be coming soon. It's a self contained USB rechargeable rear light.
    Fix your link my Friend. Missing the .com
    The older I get, the faster I was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM View Post
    Fix your link my Friend. Missing the .com
    Thanks Sam. I did that on purpose. Didn't mean them to be active links. Using my HTC phone instead of the desktop to post and was getting the website title spelled out and creating a mess.

While I got you, how are the lights especially the batteries going anyway?
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So far, so good Leonard. The output (lumens per dollar) is amazing. I'm sure the two M.S. I have use name brand cells. The others are probably junk. As far as run times go, I've no complaints yet.

mtbr member
    Xeccon has upgraded most, if not all four-cell-equipped-sets with Samsung 4 cell 5200mAh batteries. The Geinea Front & Rear, Spiker 1206 for example has better runtime at no extra cost. They come in silicone boot and neoprene pouch so they look and feel the same as the BAK 4400s. Difference is the little label at the connector.

Also, the mtbRevolution website has a currency selector for those who didn't notice. The exchange rates are up to date. Default is AU. Mouse over and select US, EU or GB. This will change prices of all products to the selected currency. Please refer to screenshot of website in attachment.

We're are stocking more in China nowadays but still running low on many product lines. We are almost back to speed now and will endeavour to get future orders out as quickly as possible, barring no delays from Li-ion shipping challenges.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-mtbrevolution-currency-selector.jpg  

mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any idea when Sogn 700 is going to be released? I've pretty much already decided to get a S12two for helmet, but still thinking on whether to get new bar light. Sogn 700 looks good for the simple overkill/amusement value

Also that Xeccon 6 x 18650 12.6V 52000mAh Li-ion on Geinea II is one seriously high capacity battery pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Projektio View Post
    Any idea when Sogn 700 is going to be released? I've pretty much already decided to get a S12two for helmet, but still thinking on whether to get new bar light. Sogn 700 looks good for the simple overkill/amusement value
    I've been told its ready. I've not seen or tested this version. I didn't like what I saw in the first proto. The second was an improvement but still wasn't up to scratch in my opinion. I will get hold of the latest version and give it a good test drive. My feeling is, it will still be a very bright bar light but in terms of beam pattern and useability for serious trail riding or racing, the new updated Sogn 900 will still be the way to go.

New stock S12 Twos now come with square connectors. Batteries will either be the Samsung 7800 or 5200s. They are great for solo or trail riding as a group on lo setting. For racing, we are promoting the Spiker 1211 more for that role. I want to see a couple of improvements with the emitter and drive current. Currently it sits between the 808e and S14 and 12s in terms of power and throw.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've thought about the Spiker 1211 too, as it'd propably stay correctly positioned and cause less strain when riding on rough trails. I wonder if there's something wrong in spiker 1211 & sogn 900 beamshot on your beamshot page, as it seems there's very little throw. Is 1211 completely swamped by the light output from sogn 900?

mtbr member
    I've thought about the Spiker 1211 too, as it'd propably stay correctly positioned and cause less strain when riding on rough trails. I wonder if there's something wrong in spiker 1211 & sogn 900 beamshot on your beamshot page, as it seems there's very little throw. Is 1211 completely swamped by the light output from sogn 900?
    Correct on the weight consideration. Our sponsored riders Guy, Jason and Peter all agreed the S12 Two has awesome power and throw but, they actually prefer something with a wider beam pattern and a tad lighter. Throw isn't that important since there will be other riders behind or ahead of them. They rather have more width at the expense of massive throw. I tend to agree to a point after spending time riding with a single 1211 while leaving my twin S12s at home. I suffered withdrawal symptoms.

As far as photography goes, the HTC One X in my opinion represents beamshots as closely as it gets to seeing it with your own eyes. Color, tint, what the lights' beam pick up and most important of all, black/dark sky when it's night. Problem with cameras of any sort is their inability to capture light at a distance well unless the photographer plays around with the settings. IMO again, a 4 second exposure shot is not representative of the real thing. The foreground's brightness will be amplified. When I see bright red skies in night beamshots, I tend to dismiss such shots. The Spiker 1211 lights up the end of that trail much better than the pictures show. The S12 Two does so, so much better than you see in the pics. Then, our beamshots of flood is actually about 15% brighter than when viewed with your own eyes. It's over-represented for the first 4 meters then it begins tapering down to about 15 metres. At this point it's about real brightness you see with your own eyes. It then begins it's descent to under-representation. I will not photoshop or tweak it. The second reason why I use camera phones is anyone can borrow or steal the same phone to take pics to compare with our shots. When and if you do get our lights, please try to get hold of a HTC One X and do some beamshots. You will see what I mean.

The updated Sogn 900 is no pretender. It'd be awesome if we had a real shootout. Not a 1 min brightness test but a 15 minute with and without ventilation between the branded twin-emitter mid-fielders and possibly the Piko 7. Let's see who holds lumens best. I will announce this now. We contacted Kir a while back for a comprehensive review of the Sogn 900 and possibly the 1211. We had some delays getting the lights to him before Eurobike and now Interbike is around the corner. With Kir's collection of FastTech type lights he can do a shootout with that field.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Also that Xeccon 6 x 18650 12.6V 52000mAh Li-ion on Geinea II is one seriously high capacity battery pack.
    One zero too many. There was a typo on the listing. It's 5200mAh in a 2S3P 11.1V nominal 12.6V configuration.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just want to say Thank you Leonard for doing what you do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What are the run times for the Xeccon Geinea Super Bright Micro Rear Light with the 2200 mAh battery? The website only lists the time for flash mode. Also, are there any difference in output or optics with the Geinea III? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    What are the run times for the Xeccon Geinea Super Bright Micro Rear Light with the 2200 mAh battery? The website only lists the time for flash mode. Also, are there any difference in output or optics with the Geinea III? Thanks.
    Hey steel, get back to you on the Geinea with 2200mAh. I've gone through the time lapse shots. I'm seeing red. Can't tell which is 2200s and 4400s and 6600s and didn't redo the test hence no updated data there.

The Geinea III pic is something I picked off a picture of the Xeccon team at Eurobike. Everyone wants to launch their big secret projects at these expos. I will get more details when Faye gets back. On a personal note, I was hoping for side visibility for this USB rechargeable light.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Hey steel, get back to you on the Geinea with 2200mAh. I've gone through the time lapse shots. I'm seeing red. Can't tell which is 2200s and 4400s and 6600s and didn't redo the test hence no updated data there.

The Geinea III pic is something I picked off a picture of the Xeccon team at Eurobike. Everyone wants to launch their big secret projects at these expos. I will get more details when Faye gets back. On a personal note, I was hoping for side visibility for this USB rechargeable light.
    Thanks. Look forward to your response. Hoping to place my order soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Thanks. Look forward to your response. Hoping to place my order soon.
    Hi steel, Geinea Rear only steady on max brightness runtime: Green > Red in 55 mins > Flashing red at 1hr 49m > Flashing red to depletion 7h 17m.

Commentary: Great runtime but my pet hate has always been battery indicators - I ignore them. I've asked for them to be removed if they aren't going to be accurate.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Hi steel, Geinea Rear only steady on max brightness runtime: Green > Red in 55 mins > Flashing red at 1hr 49m > Flashing red to depletion 7h 17m.

Commentary: Great runtime but my pet hate has always been battery indicators - I ignore them. I've asked for them to be removed if they aren't going to be accurate.
    Very nice. Does it (still) have those square connectors for the battery jack? I'm going to order 1 unit with the battery, but the other unit plain with just the Y-adapter. Trying to make sure that I buy the right Y-adapter. I'd rather just use my own, but I'd like it to be waterproof. Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast