Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

Underwater runtime test

Over the months, we've been asked many times, how waterproof are Xeccon's bike lights and batteries? Yeah, it's highly water resistant. Yes, it can be submerged for short durations. Yup, it will survive anywhere between a heavy downpour to a F4 Tornado. While I've always had confidence in the products, I never quite had the guts to really give them a waterproof/water resistance test. Are they as sensitive as cellphones/mobile phones? Will they conk out at the hint of water? Time to answer these questions. I decided to give the Niguer and Spiker 1210 powered by Xeccon's 6600mAh and Samsung celled 7800mAh Hard Shell batteries a runtime test, underwater.

Focus is not runtime but running the lights and batteries on Hi submerged. This presents a handful of unknowns. They were going to be in a bit of pressure, creating heat underwater and creating small bubbles on their shells over time like a heat element in a kettle. They had to maintain water resistance integrity for up to 4 hours. These lights were not prepped with silicone or waterproofing agents. A point of entry will be where the screw secures the o-ring mount. The switch panels are well sealed. The o-rings inside the light units will have to do their job else they will be popping bubbles or fizzing like an Alka Seltzer tablet to the bottom of the 60cm tall flower vase.

Well, they survived the test and no light heads or batteries we're killed in the 3 test that we did. Small amount of water DID get in but not enough to damage driver board or LEDs. They are working fine.

So if asked if Xeccon's lights and hard shell batteries water resistant. The answer is yes. Are they waterproof? Yes, they can handle short submergence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-underwater-runtime-test-screenshot.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-under-water-runtime-test.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-spiker-1210-underwater.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-spiker-1210.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice Leonard,
    could this be the next development in Xeccon lights making them water cooled therefore having the ability to run them harder with the benefit of water cooling keeping temps down??

mtbr member

Re: Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution

Awesome Leonard. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you Leonard.
    Does Xeccon have rear waterproof light or dive light? waterproof IPX-8.
    Thanks for your sharing again.

mtbr member
    Hi 2009th, the Geinea rear light has one possible water entry point - the screw and thread which secures the mount. In other areas, Xeccon's lights tend to use multiple internal o-rings in their bike light assembly - others may just have one, behind the front glass. In the underwater runtime test, the Spiker 1210 and Niguer 300 remain underwater for over 5 hours. An hour of that was after total battery depletion. I have little doubt they will qualify for IPX-8 if they (including the Geinea rear light) were prepped using waterproofing grease like Dow Corning/Molykote 111. Having said that, it is still unclear how bike-light-heat will affect this grease which is used in most dive torch o-rings.

Xeccon has a dive light called the D3X-II which we have never tested or sold since our focus now is on bike lights. The front glass looks very well secured. As crude it may look to some, I prefer the multiple secure points using Allen screws and a clear visual on the main o-ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-lights-waterproof.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-d3x-ii-diving-torch.jpg  

mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Would a Spiker 1211on the helmet and s12 two on the bars be a good combination. My other thought would be to replace the S12 with the Nigeur 300, in you opinion which would be a better bar . I would also on occasion likely use it as a helmet light when I loaned out the 1211 to one of my kids.

Which of the s12 or Nigeur is smaller. If I had to comment on the one drawback I see in these lights is like many of the magic shine lights (808) the design appears to make the light very large, I suspect due to the reflectors. I can't imagine putting an 808 on a helmet. I find something like the Piko Lupine or gloworm x2 a nicer light. The upcoming 700 and 900 also appear very large when compared to some others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerribs View Post
    My other thought would be to replace the S12 with the Nigeur 300, in you opinion which would be a better bar . I would also on occasion likely use it as a helmet light when I loaned out the 1211 to one of my kids.

Which of the s12 or Nigeur is smaller. If I had to comment on the one drawback I see in these lights is like many of the magic shine lights (808) the design appears to make the light very large, I suspect due to the reflectors. I can't imagine putting an 808 on a helmet. I find something like the Piko Lupine or gloworm x2 a nicer light. The upcoming 700 and 900 also appear very large when compared to some others.
    Q: Would a Spiker 1211 on the helmet and s12 two on the bars be a good combination? A: Absolutely not a good set up. Reasons are, the S12s will out-throw the 1211 by quite a distance. They have an intense hot spot which is much brighter than the 1211 overall. The S12 beam pattern doesn't have a whole lot of flood even if you run two. There is hardly any light between the bar and 8 meters ahead of you if installed on the bar, unless you face them down. If you had two 1211s on the bar and a single S12 on the helmet then yes, that could be a relatively good combination, but we can do better.

Q: Which of the s12 or Nigeur is smaller? A: Niguer. Unfortunately we have to balance between budget, weight (comfort), aesthetics (smaller size & TIR lens designs) and high performance (brightness & light throw). We can't have it all. If the purpose is faster challenging night trail and singletrack then have a purposed built flood light (multiple LED or aspherics) for the bar and a reflector cup light for the helmet. Good reflector cups will always out throw TIR or aspheric lens lights. To date no designer or manufacturer has proven otherwise. The bigger and deeper the cup the better. Performance generally means larger size. The 1211 is a compromise of that. Smaller, lighter, shallower cup but having very respectable performance. It's brighter and most certainly out throws the MJ-808e.

Xeccon's range of lights use Aluminium reflector cups which are specially coated which give them their finish. They are not fitted with cheap plastic reflector cups. This also means they are heavier. The S12's solid CNCed and specially coated reflector cup is about 25 grams on it's own. Asset or liability?

The Sogns are about the same size/weight/performance category compared to equivalent lights. The 700 is in similar bracket as say Niterider 3000, MyTinySun 3600 and possibly the Bettys. The 900s are in the dual XM-L aspherics category although the 900 is again another Xeccon signature reflector cup light rather than TIRs. The only TIR light Xeccon has is the diffused lens Geinea rear light.

The Sogn 900s are on their way. We should have them in a couple of weeks. Price is USD 212.00 including delivery, anywhere in the world. I will post more information when I receive them.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 05-18-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

Mod, please remove

Posted during Invenda System Maintenance.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 06-15-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

Sogn 900 Wireless

The Sogn 900 wireless and standard wired remote are available now. First runtime test is done. Numbers are: Wired versions 3hr 30mins, 3hr 41mins & 3hr 48mins. Wireless version with Xeccon 7800mAh Samsung: 4hr 16mins + (was still going when camera ran out of SDHC memory). Video of remote controlhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-sogn-900-runtime-test-setup.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-bike-lights-2013.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-sogn-900-set.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-bicycle-light-wireless-remote.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-sogn-wireless-4-core-connector.jpg  

Last edited by mtbRevolution; 06-15-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: problems inserting Youtube iframe
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    May 2009

Spiker 1211 delivered on time

So after a lot of work by Leonard I've gotten my Spiker 1211. Can't say enough about all the work he did to get me the light and the batteries I wanted I. A timely manner. Light is certainly high quality, and well made. It is also small which was important to me, I didn't want a huge weight on my helmet. Beam is very good from what I can see so far. Haven't gone out into the woods yet so no idea how the beam will work out there. It does have a nice wide pattern. Hope to test it out this weekend. Charger is only a 1 amp charger which means 6 hr charge time which I find a bit long for the 4400mAh battery.

At the same time I Bought a cheap CREE XML T6 off Amazon for my 8 year old. Light also seems very well made. The beam pattern of Spiker is much better being a lot more diffused rather than a very small spot. I will say for $23.50 it is still quite a deal though. No idea what to expect from the battery yet. You can also get a diffuser for the light for another $5

I've posted the beam patterns for the Spiker and the CREE. The Spiker is on the right in the 1st 3 images. The Spiker is on the left in the final image. The Spiker clearly provides a better pattern for riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-image.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey there I was hoping you could clear something up for me that seems inconsistent across sites and images.

I would like to order some lights but I need the connectors to match my existing lights and batteries. Will connectors have the round plugs or square plugs? I will be ordering from Australia.

I hope you can clear this up for me as the sites you can order these lights from do not show an image of what comes packaged with the light.
    Thanks.

A little more info.. I am looking at getting either the S12 two and 6000 mAh pack, or the Geinea front and rear combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waimser View Post
    Hey there I was hoping you could clear something up for me that seems inconsistent across sites and images.

I would like to order some lights but I need the connectors to match my existing lights and batteries. Will connectors have the round plugs or square plugs? I will be ordering from Australia.

I hope you can clear this up for me as the sites you can order these lights from do not show an image of what comes packaged with the light.
    Thanks.

A little more info.. I am looking at getting either the S12 two and 6000 mAh pack, or the Geinea front and rear combo.
    Hi waimser,

On the question of square, round and standard connectors. As of Aug 1 2013, ALL Xeccon products will come with their specially designed square connectors. They have been proven to be superior to the round in waterproofing. At the beginning of this transition, Xeccon will provide square-round and round to square adaptors for free in their light sets and batteries. While connection is still possible without these adaptors, we understand changing to a different standard can annoy some, but it's for the better. Who knows Xeccon's square connector may one day be the standard.

We currently have Y cables with all 3 round connectors, square male to 2 square female and round male to one round and one square females.

Current stock with round connectors are: S12 Two, S12 U2(which we are phasing out since XM-L2 is brighter and more efficient), S6, S14 U2, Spiker 1206, 1207, 1210.

Current stock with square connectors (which are all the new models since the Geinea onwards) are , Geinea's Rear Only, Front Only and Front + Rear. The other square connector ones are Spiker 1211, Niguer 300, Sogn 700 and Sogn 900 (except for wireless which is a 4 core connector)

We used to show some listings with whatever is provided in the set. We took them down but will have the pics of the package again soon.

The S12 Two with LiPo is a great combination. The LiPo battery is sold out but will have new stock early to mid next week. Since the LiPo is a Tobest product it will always come in round connectors but we will provide an adaptor when S12 or other lights are fitted with square connectors. We currently have heaps of S12 Twos so we're in no danger of not providing you waterproofed connections.

We will talk about other updates after this.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

June 2013 Update

Some updates from Xeccon. All light heads will have hot surface warning from now on. Children playing with high powered LED lights can get their fingers burnt so a timely reminder is a good thing. All products will have production number engraved on each light to identify date of manufacture. This facilitates warranty claims and authorized seller identification. BTW, Xeccon products has not and will not be found on Amazon or eBay.

Geinea Front + Rear Sets' rear cable will be black from Aug 1. That white cable is history.

All Sogns will have High > Med > Low > Strobe modes from now on. Some tweaking is still going on with the 700 but the 900 is finalized. Sogn 700 Prototype 2 gave us a runtime of 2 hours 26 mins. That's an hour's improvement over the first proto with little loss of brightness. Throw has improved but still needs a little work on the reflector.

As mentioned all Xeccon products will use square connectors. Square to round and round to square adaptors will be offered for free initially. This is effective Aug 1.

This is by popular demand. Switches will be lit when the light is on. When the light is turned off the light on the switch is off too. No need to disconnect at the connectors when not riding. This will be from Aug 1.

Xeccon's low battery visual warning. While very handy so the rider know his/her helmet light is down to a certain battery level. Some love it. Others hate it. So, the changes are, when battery is depleted to almost halfway and on reserve power (flashing red) the strobe will flash 6 strobes per second for 3 times. This will eliminate intervals of darkness completely. Effective Aug 1.

Xeccon's 6 cell battery packs will be inside silicone boots like the 4400s effective Aug 1. There will also be markings distinguishing BAK or Samsung equipped packs.

After much deliberation and discussion with sellers including ourselves, Xeccon will not be using Panasonic cells in their battery packs. Lithium Polymer may be an option but still under consideration.

Speaking of Li-ion and LiPo batteries, mtbRevolution will supply light sets without batteries to anywhere in the world. We will resume battery specials for USA very soon. This also means we are able to supply complete light sets from our websites to mainland US. Other locations are TBA at this stage.

While this is not the best place to talk about dive torches, we have to introduce new members of the Xeccon family of lights. The Nemo line. The Nemo 900 dive torch is released and ready for market. mtbRevolution is brought out of "dive torch retirement" with these torches. We gave up dealing with dive torches over 6 months ago due to bad experiences with dive torches. Trusting is one thing, we had to be convinced and we are with the Nemo range. After a month long test in an independent lab, the Nemos are Officially Certified to IPX-8.

The Nemo 1000 will be out shortly and that will be powered by 3 x U2s. The design is similar to this battery chamber to light head via cable design. This is of course handy for the diver. He/she needs her hands to swim and grapple items, not use them carrying a torch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-nemo-900-03.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

Xeccon's new facility

Xeccon's new larger facility. A quick peek into where Xeccon products are concepted, designed and manufactured. This new HQ will keep up with R&D and production for the foreseeable future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-front-reception.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-office.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-meeting-room.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-testing-lab.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-integrating-sphere-test-room.jpg  

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccons-production-facility.jpg  

mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Very nice.

mtbr member

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution

That looks professional. Wish you success!

mtbr member

Re: Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution

Wow! Very impressive.

mtbr member

Website News Update Aug 2013

As mentioned, we are shaking it up a little with our websites. In the next two weeks mtbrevolution.com will be our only website. Contents and layout will be from the magicshineledlights.com.au site. It will have a permanent re-direct to mtbrevolution.com to maintain links from forums and blogs etc. The re-direction will be severed eventually. This also means links from mtbr night riding forum will be broken. It's the price we have to pay for this divorce. I hope contributors can edit new links in due course. Thanks in advance.

mtbRevolution's admin/payments are processed in China with Australia still being our main market. Orders in Australia will be delivered overnight via Toll Priority. Nothing will change in terms of service. Internationally, we ship as per normal which is a little longer nowadays - transit times are about 6 days to the USA. Prices will be in Australian Dollars which will mean it's cheaper for you Americans. We do not have problems shipping Li-ion to anywhere else in the world except US. For USA, we have a back up to DHL (who constantly shifts goalpost). We sent full sets of Sogn 900 and S12 Two to DRILLINDK via DHL. As with all matters of the world, problems are miraculously fixed with extra fees.

Please order via the magicshineledlights.com.au site till we announce mtbrevolution.com is ready to use. We have to move Tobest products till we deplete them. We will eventually sell and promote Xeccon products only.

We are spending resources on mtb 12/24hr night racing. Through racing development, we will produce better products. So if you are planning to commit to some serious mtb racing, please let us kit you up. Help us improve and promote the Xeccon racing brand. Speak to Faye about terms and conditions of sponsorship.

The new Geinea II will be released soon. Details soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

mtbr Specials: Xeccon Samsung celled 7800mAh Batteries

To kick off the northern hemisphere night riding season we'll be offer Xeccon's Samsung celled batteries for US mainland only. We will check if we can ship to Hawaii via USPS. These specials will be shipped from Bloomington, IN as usual. In Australia, price includes shipping as well. For other countries, please contact us for additional shipping cost as these will be shipped from our office in China.

We've been asked to supply batteries only, for mtbr members who bought lights like the SolarStorm X2 etc. To keep it simple and providing the best bang for buck, we will supply the Samsung celled battery instead of the BAK which we had for $49 last year. We will have the 7800mAh Samsung celled batteries instead for AUD 65.00 which works out to USD 59 today. This battery has an extra 15% capacity with higher performance and of course comes with Xeccon's 6 month guarantee. We've not had a single claim from the last BAK sets, which is a very good thing. Here we are actually testing the lights output rather than the batteries performance as I wated to know if there was a lumen difference when using BAK or Samsung. We tested the LiPo too but amazingly the Samsung tops it. Xeccon Samsung Battery Test Data & Xeccon BAK Test Data

It will come in two versions:

This will be available in about 2-3 weeks from now. Will advise here when they are available. Stocks are limited so pre-order if you like. We still have the Geinea rear light on special at USD 63.50.

In other news: Xeccon will be submitting selected lights for the mtbr 2014 Shootout.
    mtbRevolution.com

mountain biker
    How will orders to Canada be handled? From the US or from China?

Also, I'm looking to replace my MagicShine 872. I find the flood is too bright in the foreground, and washes out my ability to see in the distance (if that makes sense). I'm running a Gemini Xera on my helmet. I guess that my question is: which of the Sogn 900 or Spiker 1207 would be better suited to working as a bar mounted flood that has medium throw and a decent flood in combination with my helmet-mounted Xera ?

Generally, I'm not interested in remote switches or anything more than two light settings...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    How will orders to Canada be handled? From the US or from China?

Also, I'm looking to replace my MagicShine 872. I find the flood is too bright in the foreground, and washes out my ability to see in the distance (if that makes sense). I'm running a Gemini Xera on my helmet. I guess that my question is: which of the Sogn 900 or Spiker 1207 would be better suited to working as a bar mounted flood that has medium throw and a decent flood in combination with my helmet-mounted Xera ?

Generally, I'm not interested in remote switches or anything more than two light settings...
    Hi Slyfink, light sets are sent from China. Transit time is about 6 working days. Only US promo specials are from Bloomington IN.

The Sogn 900 performs better than the Spiker 1207. The XM-L2 emitter has better tint & brightness. The mirror finish reflector's throw and width is better too. Modes are Hi>Med>Lo>Strobe>Off. The Sogn 900 wireless can be used with or without the remote. There is a switch on the light head itself. If anything it works perfect with the S12 U2. Is that too heavy compared to the Xera?

Leonard
    mtbRevolution.com

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Slyfink, light sets are sent from China. Transit time is about 6 working days. Only US promo specials are from Bloomington IN.

The Sogn 900 performs better than the Spiker 1207. The XM-L2 emitter has better tint & brightness. The mirror finish reflector's throw and width is better too. Modes are Hi>Med>Lo>Strobe>Off. The Sogn 900 wireless can be used with or without the remote. There is a switch on the light head itself. If anything it works perfect with the S12 U2. Is that too heavy compared to the Xera?

Leonard
    Thanks Leonard,

I already have the Xera, and I'm quite happy with it, so not looking to upgrade. But my 872 is more trouble than it's worth, which is why I'm looking for something new.

Thanks for the info on the Sogn and Spiker. I suspect I will be ordering soon.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution

To kick off the northern hemisphere night riding season we'll be offer Xeccon's Samsung celled batteries for US mainland only. We will check if we can ship to Hawaii via USPS. These specials will be shipped from Bloomington, IN as usual. In Australia, price includes shipping as well. For other countries, please contact us for additional shipping cost as these will be shipped from our office in China.

We've been asked to supply batteries only, for mtbr members who bought lights like the SolarStorm X2 etc. To keep it simple and providing the best bang for buck, we will supply the Samsung celled battery instead of the BAK which we had for $49 last year. We will have the 7800mAh Samsung celled batteries instead for AUD 65.00 which works out to USD 59 today. This battery has an extra 15% capacity with higher performance and of course comes with Xeccon's 6 month guarantee. We've not had a single claim from the last BAK sets, which is a very good thing. Here we are actually testing the lights output rather than the batteries performance as I wated to know if there was a lumen difference when using BAK or Samsung. We tested the LiPo too but amazingly the Samsung tops it. Xeccon Samsung Battery Test Data & Xeccon BAK Test Data

It will come in two versions:

This will be available in about 2-3 weeks from now. Will advise here when they are available. Stocks are limited so pre-order if you like. We still have the Geinea rear light on special at USD 63.50.

In other news: Xeccon will be submitting selected lights for the mtbr 2014 Shootout.
    I am interested in ordering batteries for US delivery - any update on the anticipated delivery date? Also how to pre-order when your website indicates AU delivery only?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    I am interested in ordering batteries for US delivery - any update on the anticipated delivery date? Also how to pre-order when your website indicates AU delivery only?
    . Hi juergenor, the AU only label is removed. Will check with Faye again later today on the ETA to Bloomington. You may pre-order on the site or wait for us to confirm we have those in stock - I will put one aside for you either way. We can still refund in full if you pre-ordered.
    mtbRevolution.com

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Over the months, we've been asked many times, how waterproof are Xeccon's bike lights and batteries? Yeah, it's highly water resistant. Yes, it can be submerged for short durations. Yup, it will survive anywhere between a heavy downpour to a F4 Tornado.
    And for comparison - do you wonder what would happen when you do the same test with standart, cheap chinese bike batteries? Well its not gonna be pretty.

Small rain, water got through the side, one cell short-circuited. Was able to replace one cell and repair battery pack.

Heavier rain, 1 cell competely dead, protection pcb dead, another cell in pair with dead one was discharged to zero and lost 50% of its capacity. Had to replace 2 cells and pcb.

Submersion in water for a long time, was able to salvage the cable and pouch

And believe me - these "tests" weren't intentional, so always, ALWAYS make additional protection from water for chinese batteries. Even simple plastic bag wrapped over the battery will protect it from a rain.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast