Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 145
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    Interested in the set. Are both coming out on the 20th, or just the front, as u said the rear is on the drawing board? Thanks Leonard, take care...
    patrick
    Hi Pat, the Geinea is both front U2 and rear R2 Red light. Will advise when it's both available. At this stage, it's 19 days to go but being new products, there may be delays.

    There is a second rear light pending. The design is based on what I think riders like yourself want. We just have to work on the practicalities of the triangular 3 x XP-G design. Xeccon engineers think it's workable so, fingers crossed. We can go 800 lumens easy but that would be excessive. 400-500 real lumens is already the high end of town. Our aim is the vicinity of DS500 and 400R. Please let me know what you guys think.

    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    What do you think lumens will be for the U2. Also, do you have a helmet mount for it.

    I have a GEO battery and a Y cable already so this is interesting as a rear light as well.

    Let us know when you know the individual price.

    Thx

    MB
    Hi mb, I have not been given that information yet. Chances are, it won't be driven as hard as the S12 U2 or Spiker 1206. Mounting options are being considered. Helmet mount most certainly under consideration. Will advise when I hear more.

    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Hi Leonard,
    Interesting light, this should attract lots of attention! Hope things are going well for you.
    Mole
    Merci Monsieur Mole.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347

    Request for Colleen: Temp Test & Amp Draw

    Colleen, can you please do a temp test and amp draw especially for the Spiker 1210. Would love to know how well that red-carrot-grater heat sink works compared to the 872 and 872 clone especially. Interesting wall shot comparison of all 4 lights. The 1210 and 872 clone has almost identical brightness and beam pattern.

    If not too much to ask, can you please post the amp draw and runtime of the 1207 T6. My runtime test got an average of 3 hours 35 mins over 6 runs for the U2 OD version. I'm keen to know where the extra 1 hour runtime comes from. The MJ-880 with 6600mAh runs for about 2.5 hours at 2.8A in comparison.

    Thanks in advance.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38
    I would be interested of using a non self contained rear light which performs way better than my Niteflux RZ4 and Dinotte 300R combo. A rear light that has 800 real lumens on flash mode for day time use and a 500 real lumens on steady mode for night riding. Possible?

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttorideatnight View Post
    I would be interested of using a non self contained rear light which performs way better than my Niteflux RZ4 and Dinotte 300R combo. A rear light that has 800 real lumens on flash mode for day time use and a 500 real lumens on steady mode for night riding. Possible?
    Hi Iwanttorideatnight, 800 lumens is certainly possible. Heat won't be a problem in it's small shell since it's not constantly on. Imagine something bigger like a Bikeray 3 or similar tri-XP-G R5s as a rear light, strobbing away. Used in midday it would be great. 500 lumens in the night is still quite high.

    During design, the idea of incorporating Light Sense like what's used in the Spiker 1206 was considered. This time in reverse. If there is enough ambient light, this rear light will go max output. As ambient light fades, the output lowers.

    Xeccon's new wireless remote is another possibility. However like all products, we need to aim for miniature size and a pricepoint where people feel comfortable paying.

    We are still in the process so please let us know your thoughts.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttorideatnight View Post
    I would be interested of using a non self contained rear light which performs way better than my Niteflux RZ4 and Dinotte 300R combo. A rear light that has 800 real lumens on flash mode for day time use and a 500 real lumens on steady mode for night riding. Possible?
    I think once you pass 500 lumen for a rear light you're passing the point of diminished returns. Five hundred lumen is damn bright for a rear light. If you go higher you are going to need more emitters and bigger batteries. Five hundred lumen should be more than enough for day time use and still keep the lamp and battery size to a minimum. Personally I favor "Amber LED's" for day time use. The RZ4 and 300R should be more than enough for sunset/night use. Anymore is just overkill.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    377
    Hey Leonard

    From my perspective, Cat has it right for night time riding. 400 lumens is sufficient.

    However, during the day, I still use 2 rear lights and the more lumens the better. I have had drivers pass me and can see right in the car that they are texting as they drive. Amazing. I've seen this numerous times.

    A light that automatically uses ambient light in reverse and maybe hits 800 lumens sounds great.

    Although I have switched to mainly Mtn bike, the few times a month I do go out, I would feel safer w/ a bad a** bright light. Anything to get someone's attention.

    MB

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    What do you think lumens will be for the U2.
    Let us know when you know the individual price.
    MB
    Hi mb. According to Xeccon, the U2 version of the Geinea will be driven about the same as the Spiker 1206. Going back to Colleen's review of the 1206, we should expect an amp draw of about 1.1A. A little under-driven but probably good thermal management considering it's size and lack of heat sinking. As you recall, the 1206 ran pretty cool in her temp test.

    The 1206 had a 700 lumen reading from her sphere. Geinea uses optics and depending on the beam pattern via those optics, best guess is 650-680 lumen range.

    Tried to imagine the beam pattern from such a light, so I took out my MJ-880 U2, set it to level 4 or 80% brightness and covered one lens with my thumb. If a micro light weighing 23 grams produced that kind of brightness, it would be something. A tighter beam angle will further improve it for helmet duties.

    Will advise when the price is released.

    Also, hear what you're saying about the 3 LED rear light brightness. I use the MJ-818 (about 50 lumens) myself and find that too bright for my needs already. A problem with using ultra bright rear lights in urban areas is, you may encounter bird flippin' every so often.

    Leonard
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    (QUOTE FROM SPIKER 1206 REVIEW)
    Cat, Xeccon or Colleen,

    I'm very interested in these lights as I'm looking for a spot thrower for use on the helmet. Cat's review of the S-12 suggests it is the king of spot-throw! But a quick look on the mtbRevolution site indicates this light is very similar.

    So here's my question: how does the Spiker 1206 compare to the S-12 in terms of beam? On paper the Spiker 1206 and S-12 seem pretty similar, maybe with just a different housing. Is the reflector the main difference? I like the housing of the 1206 better mostly because of where the cable comes out, and it seems to be more waterproof. But if the S-12 is a more focused, powerful spot-thrower, that is where I'll go....

    Thanks guys and keep up the good work!
    Hi Slyfink, I will answer you here. Since Cat has the S12 U2 and Colleen has the Spiker 1206 and neither of them have both, it's probably better if I answered your question.

    The S12 U2 and the Spiker 1206 are both equipped with XM-L U2 OD. The big difference is the distorted mirror finish reflector which doubles as a heat sink of the S12 compared to a relatively standard orange peel reflector used by 1206. Majority of spots use OP finish reflector which smooths out transition but lack throw compared to a mirror finish like the S12.

    The heat sink reflector housing alone weights 25 grams - that's heavier than the whole Geinea light head. There are 2 o-rings which seal the reflector. This is a big addition to it's weight but necessary for good heat management and throw performance. Now the Cat's out of the bag on why the S12 out throws most lights.

    So, the conclusion is if you're after throw, go S12 - you will not be disappointed, I promise you. If you're after a general spot light with features go 1206. Close to mid range flood go 1210. 3/4 range flood is best handled by 1207

    The Spikers have better waterproofing design than the S series. The S series will pass waterproofing test you throw at it.

    Please let me know if you have other questions to help you make your decision.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  9. #34
    just a Newbie
    Reputation: colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Colleen, can you please do a temp test and amp draw especially for the Spiker 1210. Would love to know how well that red-carrot-grater heat sink works compared to the 872 and 872 clone especially. Interesting wall shot comparison of all 4 lights. The 1210 and 872 clone has almost identical brightness and beam pattern.

    If not too much to ask, can you please post the amp draw and runtime of the 1207 T6. My runtime test got an average of 3 hours 35 mins over 6 runs for the U2 OD version. I'm keen to know where the extra 1 hour runtime comes from. The MJ-880 with 6600mAh runs for about 2.5 hours at 2.8A in comparison.

    Thanks in advance.

    Leonard
    Will do the temp test on the 1210.

    The 1207 T6 draw 2.45 on initial start up and settle to 2.32 amps after two minutes. I was able to get 3hr 21min of runtime from a test I done this weekend. Don't know where the extra time came from. I do not see any PWM in the high mode. I use a camera on manual setting at f8 and scroll from 1/30 to 1/2500 shutter and did not see any blinking from the led. I did see some from the 1210 and I think that's from the stepless setting since that light do not really have a high mode. I did not test the lumen output at the last hour mark and that migh be where the extra runtime may occur if the unit did indeed step down but just from observation, the brightness seem to be the same as the initial start.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    Will do the temp test on the 1210.

    The 1207 T6 draw 2.45 on initial start up and settle to 2.32 amps after two minutes. I was able to get 3hr 21min of runtime from a test I done this weekend. Don't know where the extra time came from. I do not see any PWM in the high mode. I use a camera on manual setting at f8 and scroll from 1/30 to 1/2500 shutter and did not see any blinking from the led. I did see some from the 1210 and I think that's from the stepless setting since that light do not really have a high mode. I did not test the lumen output at the last hour mark and that migh be where the extra runtime may occur if the unit did indeed step down but just from observation, the brightness seem to be the same as the initial start.
    So there's a 0.4A difference with the MJ-880. Is this enough to give it an extra 50 mins runtime with the T6 version? Good question, heh?

    From the comparison of the 1210, 872, 872 Clone and BR4, wall shot, it seems the 1210 to have an ever so slightly brighter hotspot compared to the clone. Can we confirm this with a lux test?

    Have to give credit when due. 872 Clone manufacturer: You've done well.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    80

    Excellent Service!

    All I can say is Excellent Service!

    Based on Cat-man-do's user review, I decided to get the S12 with Cree XM-L U2. The current offer of free express shipping certainly tipped the balance to ordering it before next payday.

    Placed my order at 12:30 Sunday night/Monday Morning. I received a response from Leonard within a few minutes. Exchanged a couple of emails clarifying points re electrical plug-in, colour availability with North American connection, and that the US style connection would be shipped from Hong Kong. Emails also included some personal chit-chat, and answers to Q's about upcoming products.

    Order shipped Monday, with tracking number received that evening.

    Shipment received in Calgary, AB, Canada Wednesday evening.

    Gave it a quick shine around. It easily light up things on the other side of the condo complex.

    I honestly did not expect to get it in time for my camping/biking trip in the Rocky Mountains this weekend. Can't wait to get it fully charged and take it out on the trails.

  12. #37
    mountain biker
    Reputation: slyfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Slyfink, I will answer you here. Since Cat has the S12 U2 and Colleen has the Spiker 1206 and neither of them have both, it's probably better if I answered your question.

    The S12 U2 and the Spiker 1206 are both equipped with XM-L U2 OD. The big difference is the distorted mirror finish reflector which doubles as a heat sink of the S12 compared to a relatively standard orange peel reflector used by 1206. Majority of spots use OP finish reflector which smooths out transition but lack throw compared to a mirror finish like the S12.

    The heat sink reflector housing alone weights 25 grams - that's heavier than the whole Geinea light head. There are 2 o-rings which seal the reflector. This is a big addition to it's weight but necessary for good heat management and throw performance. Now the Cat's out of the bag on why the S12 out throws most lights.

    So, the conclusion is if you're after throw, go S12 - you will not be disappointed, I promise you. If you're after a general spot light with features go 1206. Close to mid range flood go 1210. 3/4 range flood is best handled by 1207

    The Spikers have better waterproofing design than the S series. The S series will pass waterproofing test you throw at it.

    Please let me know if you have other questions to help you make your decision.

    Leonard
    awesome, thank you. Sounds like an S12 is in my future. one last question though: can I use the lighthead with my geomangear batteries?

    thanks again, looking forward to giving this sucker a try!
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

  13. #38
    mountain biker
    Reputation: slyfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    All I can say is Excellent Service!

    Based on Cat-man-do's user review, I decided to get the S12 with Cree XM-L U2. The current offer of free express shipping certainly tipped the balance to ordering it before next payday.

    Placed my order at 12:30 Sunday night/Monday Morning. I received a response from Leonard within a few minutes. Exchanged a couple of emails clarifying points re electrical plug-in, colour availability with North American connection, and that the US style connection would be shipped from Hong Kong. Emails also included some personal chit-chat, and answers to Q's about upcoming products.

    Order shipped Monday, with tracking number received that evening.

    Shipment received in Calgary, AB, Canada Wednesday evening.

    Gave it a quick shine around. It easily light up things on the other side of the condo complex.

    I honestly did not expect to get it in time for my camping/biking trip in the Rocky Mountains this weekend. Can't wait to get it fully charged and take it out on the trails.
    Ian, I'm in Canada too, and I was wondering what shipping method you used, and did you get charged extra fees other than taxes? And did you have to specify in your order that you're in North America?

    thanks.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    awesome, thank you. Sounds like an S12 is in my future. one last question though: can I use the lighthead with my geomangear batteries?

    thanks again, looking forward to giving this sucker a try!
    Hi Slyfink, most certainly can. All Xeccon connectors are standard MS, Inton, Bikeray, GMG, Open Light and most of the generics.

    I will answer your questions to Ian if he doesn't answer you in 24 hours.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    80
    mtbRevolution's current deal as per the "Xeccon+mtbRevolution Midnight Specials" thread includes free express shipping on select products. My S12 arrived via DHL Express.

    I did not get charged duty, GST, or a customs processing fee.

    So in my eyes, this mtbRevolution package was ideal.

    I know the Canadian government recently changed the amount you can import when traveling. I don't know if this also affected online/mail order limits. It used to be that officially above $25 (in real life above $60) triggered customs inspection. Maybe they've gotten a bit more lenient. Pure guestimate on my part, but I suspect that if you ordered multiple lights at once, it might put the total in a $ rage that could cause the CBSA to want a look-see (Canada Border Services Agency). That can also be affected by how the shipper lists the "Declared value for customs purposes."

    I've got two orders, from other suppliers, coming by different modes of transport with slightly higher $ values. For one, Canada Post tracking is calling it Express Post. The other it's labeled it Registered Letter Mail. I'll let you know if they get the subject to GST, customs inspection, and its processing fee.

    I've been excitedly showing my S12 around the office all day. You know, a big kid with a new toy. Everyone just gets a stunned look and says "Wow, that's bright!"

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Let us know hoe you like your light and how it compares to other lights that you might have. Are you planning to use it on your helmet?

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7
    Just to compliment Leonard's service - ordered S12 U2 based on Cat's review. Although that was before free shipping promotion, lights were shipped very quick to Europe, and as I've already did couple of rides - perfect helmet light! Thanks Leo! PS. No customer charges so far ,too..

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347

    Shipping Update

    Hi all,

    China is having their Autumn Festival holidays from 30th Sep to Oct 7. There will be no shipping from our China office during this time. Not because we are not working but freight agents etc aren't. Items which have to be shipped from there will be dispatched on the 8th. When China goes on holidays, basically everything shuts down.

    We have stock for most items in Australia for the Midnight Specials so please send us a PM, e-mail or speak to us on Live Help to confirm. We have limited number of chargers so please hurry if you want your items quickly.

    K.T of WA, USA. We have voided the transaction after 5 e-mail attempts since 25th to confirm. Please check the e-mail you registered in our website. Paypal payment has been sent back to you. As mentioned, it's not part of the special but will do it for you anyway. S14 stock will be available in our China office Oct 10th. Please re-order the S14 then.

    @Babas. Thanks A. Sounds like you're enjoying the light. Ride safe and happy trails.

    Leonard
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-28-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347

    Geinea I update

    Hi all,

    We have news to share with you on the Geinea front and rear lights. Xeccon wanted to improve on the design hence the delay. Reviews will be posted here soon. Cat will be doing the review of the Geinea's. Colleen will review the Spiker 1211 when ready sometime next month.

    Meanwhile the "super thrower twin light" and the 3 LED rear light are in the pipeline. These two are my concepts. AutoCAD designs are done. Patent application is sought for them as with all new Xeccon lights.

    We will include some Geinea pics and beam shots. Anodized colors, mountings and remote may be prototypes. We will have final product specification in a few days.

    Leonard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-beam-shot.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-geinea-beamshot-2.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-new-2013-lights.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-geinea-wall-shot.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-helmet-mounted.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-geinea-bar.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-headstrap.jpg  

    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347

    Hurricane Sandy

    Hi all,

    Just a quick announcement. Shipments to the eastern seaboard will probably be delayed because of Sandy. Shipments sent today to a couple of places in NC and MD may be affected. They may end up being stuck in LA Gateway till the hurricane clears. Do keep safe to everyone in affected areas.

    In other shipment delay news, China is still having their month long confab for next President. Li-ion products may be delayed because of security issues. We have been sending from AU for the past 2 weeks and will continue to do so till it's ok to do so again.

    Thanks for your attention.

    Leonard
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 10-29-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: sounds worse than first thought!
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347

    MTBR SPECIAL: Xeccon Geinea Rear Light for USA and Australia

    Hi all, we are having a promo special on the ultra bright Xeccon Geinea rear light set. The set has updated 4 mode UIs. Steady Hi, Steady Low, Slow Strobe and Fast Strobe. Price is USD69.00 for USA Special and AUD 69.00 for AU Special. Due to the Chinese New Year Holidays, we are unable to ship to anywhere else but will resume full international shipping two weeks from now.

    We guarantee this light will enhance your riding safety not only in the night but in the mid afternoon. The set comes with a 2 cell battery in silicone boot. Yet to be completed review on mtbr is here. Apologies for the delay getting the 4 mode UI's going so the reviews can resume here and on Bikeforums. Including some pics of the light set boxes and the front light only since it's the first time it's shown in public.

    Please e-mail or speak to us on Live Help in the websites should you have questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-sets.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-rear-set.jpg  

    Introducing Xeccon + mtbRevolution-xeccon-geinea-front-light-set.jpg  

    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    A quick announcement. The mtbrevolution.com [edit] website's server hardware upgrade is complete. For extra information on Xeccon products you can choose to visit our other site.[end edit]

    We are ending our association with Magicshine but will keep the domain name, for now. Our focus on that website is with Xeccon and to a smaller degree Inton & Bikeray.

    The 6600mAh battery link is here
    Geinea Rear Light link is here
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 02-26-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: server upgrade completed
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Good info!

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    218
    What's the difference between the S12 U2 and the S14 U2 lights?

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    What's the difference between the S12 U2 and the S14 U2 lights?
    The S12 U2 is a mirror finish reflector light while the S14 U2 is orange peel (OP). Mirror finish reflectors tend to help throw light better than OP reflectors. OP reflectors smooths out the donut ring effect giving it a better flood beam pattern compared to the S12 U2 which has very concentrated light with an intense spot perfect for helmet use.

    The S12 U2 equipped with XM-L U2 OD while the S14 U2 uses standard U2. We'll be getting a prototype S12 XM-L2 in the next couple of weeks. It is said to be 5-10% brighter. Question is, what do we call it?
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 03-05-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo on the S14 U2
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •