Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system

231K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Skyraider59 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Vag (Vaggelis) coming from Greece and together with Bruce from Gloworm Performance Products ( formely Gloworm Lites) in New Zealand we have been working since last August in order to design from scratch and produce with the highest standards a new Bike Light. We call our initiative Gloworm Manufacturing and we are more than proud to introduce to you our latest project.....

Its name is Gloworm X2 and it is a dual XM-L that produces 1200 lumens. We have finished testing and we are about to launch the X2 just before New Year.

Presale will start pretty soon and more information will be posted here.

Take a close look at our teaser photo and focus on the size/ lumen rate.
Also you can read a small review of our light here. We showed our first (not-anodized) prototype at "on your Bike Expo" in New Zealand. Feel free to check the link following for first impressions of riders who saw it live.

On Your Bike - Day 2 | Spoke Magazine

Please treat this post as a soft opening. More and more information and details (including beamshots) will be available soon.

See less See more
#169 ·
Hi Everyone,

Yes, Chinese NY has been a pressing issue - hence the shipping date was set as the 20th.

As stated before we are still on track to get the presale units out on or before this date.

@GraXXor - Our circuitry supplies 2A to both XML LEDs in series at BOOST in trail mode. Giving 1200 lumens. The runtimes have been derived based on this in addition to realtime tests. Each mode of each programme was tested to detrmine runtime. The average result of testing was actually a small % longer in duration than that published, however the minimum was as stated.

In regards to the interference - the product has been designed to minimise 'noise' produced by the electronics. We have tested it alongside a couple of wireless speedometers without any interference, but as I understand the frequencies of such units does vary.

@syadasti - At Boost mode in Trail Programme (1200 lumens) you will be able to use on tight slow single track without thermal cut back (as long as there is airflow over the unit and the ambient temperature is not extreme). However it is recommended that when stopping, the light is dropped to a lower setting.

@Matchpoint - The 4 provided modes have been set and at this stage cannot be edited. I definitley see the benefit of this function and it will be a consideration as the product is developed and refined further. The Programmes as stated above were determined after discussions with groups of outdoor enthusiasts and cyclists.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#170 ·
Hi Bruce, Vag,

I'm considering to buy one of this lights on pre-sale too and the kit without the charger and the battery, could you send me the link for this option?
As I have two Geoman batteries I'm thinking to use one on the bar with MJ-872 and the other one with X2.

Amazing light BTW!

#178 ·
Hey GraXXoR, great to see you've ordered your lights!

Just a quick update for everyone. We are on track to get the lights out on time to all you lucky ones who have preordered.

Also we have made a small change to the commute programme. The flash mode is now 700 lumens and will last for 9hours, as opposed to the original 300 lumens and 12 hours.

We look forward to getting the X2s out there and into your hands.

BTW - we have done a submersion test with the battery, tick. Photos soon, we're just putting the finishing touches on the aesthetics.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#179 ·
Well I for one am very curious about these lights, but I have to admit that I'm pretty skeptical of new products . . . I will be waiting to hear results of long-term tests on these before I delve into one. On paper, they really do sound fantastic though.

#185 · (Edited)
Greetings,
I have a couple of questions.

First off, I dont ride MTB at night but do ride my road bike. How are these lights for road riding, mainly suburban roads and darker unlit hilly routes? (Not sure if lights are optimised for trails v's road riding etc)

Second, cant remember seeing it in the thread, but how does the battery attach to the frame? Is it with velcro wraps, some type of o-ring setup etc.

I was looking at the new Magicshine MJ-880 but then stumbled across this light. I already have an MJ-808, but know that a lot of well designed products come out of NZ (Thats hard to admit for an aussie ;) ) so am very interested in it.

There's just so many well priced and well specced LED lights around these days its hard to know which way to jump!

Does the lamp come with an assortment of different o-ring sizes for handlebar mount? Not sure, but the MTB bars in the pics look much fatter than standard road handle bars.

One other thing, how do you change between the various programs with this light (Commute, Adventure etc)? I think it is a 2 second press to access the special mode (flashing when in Commute mode etc) but dont remember seeing how to change between program modes.

cheers
TB

#186 ·
Hey,

Good bunch of questions there! I'll attempt to provide you with some good info.....

Commuting/Road Riding - I come from a road riding (read - early morning training) background myself, and what I didn't like is a light with a big hot spot and dim halo. When we designed the X2 this was one thing we wanted to eliminate. The beam is smooth and wide plus the with the eliptical lens it makes it even wider. Plus there is a good flash mode built into the commuting programme to alert cars of your whereabouts.

Battery - The battery is similar in style to Gemini and Lupine. Hard plastic with a loop to secure the unit to a bar or bag strap with the provided velcro. Additionally our batteries feature a rubberised texture providing a great tactile feel!

NZ Design - The light has been 100% designed in NZ. I designed the housing/mounting systems, while the electronics were arranged by a great engineer (outdoor fanatic) contracted out of Wellington, NZ. I am a rider and runner and understand what is needed in a good light.

O-rings - The light comes with 2 orings. One for standard bars and one for oversize. The one in the pic are oversize.

Programme Changing - I have attahced the X2 Operating Instructions HERE. They detail how to change between modes. In reality it takes less than 30 seconds to change between the programmes.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#188 ·
Really tempting. Got three questions.
1. Cutoff voltage. I like LiPolies over LiIons because even though they are heavier they can be charged in one hour. Would it be ok to use LiPo batteries with this light? What's the cutoff voltage for the battery?
2. Any info on the tint? Is it neutral white or cool white?
3. Is there any way of pivoting the light left to right?

#189 ·
Hi Megavolt

1. Batteries are protected at the pack to 5.75v (this is factory the specification). However the X2 also protects the batteries and will not let them go below 6.2v. When the light indicates low battery voltage by emmitting a flash it then commences a step down routine that will have the light extinguishing itself at 6.2v. You can read more about that process in the Operation Instructions at the link above.

2. The tint is cool white, XML T6 LEDs.

3. There is no way of piviting the light L/R. Less moving parts the more robust, plus when on the bars it is centred around the stem so 9/10 there is no reason to pivot it.

I hope that helps!

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#197 ·
So far this has been a very informative thread. I really do want to thank the Gloworm people for all the time and effort that went into the production of the X2. Not to mention all the quick feed back to all the questions and requests that have come forth. To date, I don't think any other bike light manufacturer/vendor has been so forthcoming in setting the stage on a "Pre-sales product". I can't wait to get the light. I just hope I'm as pleased with the product as I think I'll be. ;)

#200 ·
G - 6 and counting!

@Gloworm

The attention to detail is impressive: All night water-boarding your lights and battery, switch water ingress testing... These things inspire confidence and make me feel more secure in my purchase, since this is the first time I've EVER bought something before it is actually released.

So basically, if you can pull it off on time, I'll take my hat off to you. In this age of quick-fire releases under severe time pressure, it's really easy to let schedules slip. Of course, v 1.0 niggles are always a worry, but that's why we get a presales price, isn't it? We are the "gamma" testers after all.

It's informative threads like this and the Designshine one that makes us come back here time after time!
These agile products could easily be on the DIY Lights forum for all the input and feedback given!

.... ahhh still G - 6...

#204 ·
Would you by chance be able to snap some beamshots using the elliptical lens? And please bear with me on the stupid question I am about to ask, but can you please explain the lens setups in general to me? There is only one lens that covers the entire front of the light correct? When you are saying that you can switch between spot/spot and spot/flood, is that be physically switching out the one and only main lens, or is it done by the remote selector somehow? Just trying to fully understand how this works before putting my order in and picking the wrong options.

#205 ·
I believe there are separate optics on both of the emitters. To change beam patterns you have to physically switch the optics.

By the way...To Gloworm, if you want to include one of those new elliptical optics with my order that would be sweet. If not I guess I'll order one at a later date.

#210 ·
The standard 4-cell knock offs are likely not that big. I'd go with the Gloworm battery If I were you. Of course you can try the knock off battery and see how it works. You can always buy the battery afterward if needed but it will likely cost a bit more doing it that way.
( If you got something 5200mAh or over you should be good )

#215 · (Edited)
If we buy 2 lights and one battery will a Y cable be supplied?

I am also very curious to see what the headstrap/headlight configuration looks like and I hope the same amount of detail has been out into the design of the head strap to account for switch and battery. Looking to possibly use this for running but may need a smaller battery configuration to save a little weight and reduce bounce.

Last quick question... On the link in your signature it says that the light will come with the spot/flood setup as default and the extra spot lens will be included..... But when I go to the website to look at ordering it is asking what I want for an extra lens (free). Is the extra lens a 2nd free lens above and beyond what was mentioned with spot/flood and extra spot included???

Thanks.

#216 ·
I
Last quick question... On the link in your signature it says that the light will come with the spot/flood setup as default and the extra spot lens will be included..... But when I go to the website to look at ordering it is. Asking what I want for an extra lens (free). Is the extra lens a 2nd free lens above and beyond what was mentioned with spot/flood and extra spot included???

Thanks.
Good question, I know originally it was stated in a post from Glworm that an extra (free) spot lens was going to be provided for all orders, but then I think the eliptical lens came along which may have changed things, so the ordering page now offers a choice of the 1 extra free one being a choice of the three (spot, flood or eliptical)

edit: post #48 from Vag was the original mention of the extra spot lens being included for ALL preorders

#217 ·
Bruce, since it was mentioned that the first orders might go out before the 20th, could you please give us a heads-up when the first orders finally ship? Also since they are coming directly from China...anyway you can give us an idea on what day they will reach the USA? I just want to try to plan ahead of time so I can make sure I'm home when UPS guy ( or whoever ) comes knocking.

#218 ·
Hey everyone - well it is official, the first orders will be leaving 20th Jan, on time. Sorry we couldn't get them out before. :bluefrown:

However from the 20th expect delivery in about 5 working days. We will supply tracking numbers as they come to us.

Now for some answers:

The extra lens is your choice. You can make the selection at time of purchase. You will get 3 lenses free - the 2 in the light and the free one. Additionally you can choose to purchase another lens/optic to make a complete set.

Y-Cable - Unfortunately we do not supply a Y-cable with 2 lights, however this is a great idea. It is something we will plan to offer in the future.

Headstrap - Yes we have put a lot of thought into the headstrap, it has 25mm elasitc, utilises the helmet mount and has cable guides for the cable. However, something had to give - we haven't managed to finish this accessory :madman:. For those who have ordered - Don't worry! We'll send the headstrap free of charge very early february......sorry.

And now for the proof.......a few shots of the finished products! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.