Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey guys, just curious, I dont ride MTB really at all, certainly not at night so i may be missing something very obvious, but why are you disasembling lights and mounts while you are out riding? Is it swapping from bar to helmet mount, i imagine that would be sorted before you go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I do have an issue that I need to share with everyone though. The extension cable is faulty.
    Unfortunately, its just the nature of the beast with these extensions. There will be a certain percentage of bad ones. Out of the 100+ extensions that I've tested, there's been at least 5 or 6 bad ones. Before I use these things I always do a "pull/bend" test on each end of the cable while it's carrying around 1amp of current and verify its condition. If you need a guaranteed good one, just PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Unfortunately, its just the nature of the beast with these extensions. There will be a certain percentage of bad ones. Out of the 100+ extensions that I've tested, there's been at least 5 or 6 bad ones. Before I use these things I always do a "pull/bend" test on each end of the cable while it's carrying around 1amp of current and verify its condition. If you need a guaranteed good one, just PM me.
    Thanks Peth, an interesting story so I thought I'd add one of my own.

Some years ago I bought a nice lamp from an upstart Aussie DIY'er who called his company HIDtech. Long story short; his lamps were assembled using connectors that unfortunately quickly developed a propensity for broken internal wires. I think I used mine a couple weeks before the problem happened. The owner very quickly replaced the whole battery and sent me a replacement wire/plug as well. He later told me that I wasn't the only one with the problem and that he had done a product recall. He told me the problem was that he had used cheap wire/connectors that came out of China. Sadly, I believe this problem ended up putting him out of business because shortly afterward he stopped selling bike lights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @Gloworm
    Hey Bruce, do you know the size of the second small o-ring?
    If I'm going to go out and buy a #105, i may as well pick up the other one as well if I can find them in a silicon version.

TB

PS: i got my tracking number on Saturday, thanks, but it doesnt seem to be showing up in any systems yet, should it be?

mtbr member
    A couple pics of the Gloworm X2 next to some other lights just for comparison in size and shape. Lupine Wilma and Betty, Cygolite Halogen 20 watt + 10 watt dual, Vistalite 15 watt halogen, 2 NR HIDs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-1small.jpg  

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-6small.jpg  

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-7small.jpg  

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-4small.jpg  

mtbr member
    A couple pics of the Gloworm X2 next to some other lights just for comparison in size and shape. Lupine Wilma and Betty, Cygolite Halogen 20 watt + 10 watt dual, Vistalite 15 watt halogen, 2 NR HIDs.
    Nice pics MaximusHQ! Would love to see how it looks mounted on a helmet.
    Again, suggestions from anyone regarding a good helmet light are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFest View Post
    What about ay ups? I'm guessing your from Australia. Light battery and light head, good battery life and a good spot. I think they're about $260 for 1 light, so pretty pricey though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFest View Post
    Nice pics MaximusHQ! Would love to see how it looks mounted on a helmet.
    Helmet mounted pics on page 3 here.... Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    @Gloworm: I have now lost in total three o-rings. The two that came with my lights and another I "borrowed" from my Magicshine.

Please please please make the o-rings captive, so they don't fall off when I put the lights in my pocket.

It's a small thing but it's very annoying after coming from Magicshine with O-rings firmly connected to the body of the light.

Also if you lose your O ring when you're out in the field your light is totally useless unless you want to hand hold it all the way home.

Also, do you think you could source some O-rings with a tab on them? There're a bugger to get off at 1C with thick gloves on.
    Just in case, you can always have with you some tie-wraps , long enough to make a loop to replace temporarily the missed O-ring ...
    I always carry some tie-wraps in different sizes , just in case I 'll have to fix something ...
    Also , you can cut "O-rings" from a torn or useless tube , from those you cannot anymore repair with patches ...

When I am riding , trekking, walking, (and all those ... "kings" )
    I carry with me tools, spare stuff , food etc to prevent ..."total failure" in the middle of nowhere ...
    But , just because "**** happens" , just try to provide whatever you CAN carry and not exaggerate ...
    A small kit of repair stuff is precious in the field, even for our friends ,because a failure in their bike/ equipment , could ruin an - otherwise - nice ride of ours too ...

I am - so far- happy with my X-2 and I think I 'l keep it this way !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    Yes, that was the very same lame reply from gloworm themselves in the german Lupine forum, BTW an astoningly fast reply within hours on the same question if the X2 was not just a Piko clone. Did not know they monitor foreign language forums so close ...

Nevertheless, if it was so, how comes that 2 other competitors, with the very same layout 2 XML leds, the Inton NB-04 2200LM as well as the magicshine MJ-880, look so different? According to your credo then also these ones "forcedly" should have received the same look.
    Well the Inton NB04 is approximately 3 times the weight and 5 times the volume of the Gloworm X2 and really only suitable for bar mount so not a very good example.

You've laboured your comparison with the Piko - the Piko has 50% less output, almost no cooling fins, no remote switch, a different mount. It has a passing similarity in shape but that's it. Let be honest if you want a very small twin XM-L package it's going to have 2 optics and be shaped to fit them. Get over yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckesinis View Post
    Just in case, you can always have with you some tie-wraps , long enough to make a loop to replace temporarily the missed O-ring ...
    I always carry some tie-wraps in different sizes , just in case I 'll have to fix something ...
    Also , you can cut "O-rings" from a torn or useless tube , from those you cannot anymore repair with patches ...

When I am riding , trekking, walking, (and all those ... "kings" )
    I carry with me tools, spare stuff , food etc to prevent ..."total failure" in the middle of nowhere ...
    But , just because "**** happens" , just try to provide whatever you CAN carry and not exaggerate ...
    A small kit of repair stuff is precious in the field, even for our friends ,because a failure in their bike/ equipment , could ruin an - otherwise - nice ride of ours too ...

I am - so far- happy with my X-2 and I think I 'l keep it this way !!!
    Plus bring a lot of duct tape as well. You never know when you might need to use that

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Missing Lenses

Seems to be a trend here. I did not receive any of my extra lenses either. I should have had the free extra Flood and a paid for Eliptical. Order number #11245 - Kevin in Virginia. Other than that, it looks very nice. Cant wait to try it out :-)

PS - What is the warranty on these?

mtbr member
    Ndisil, the warranty is 2 years for light head and 180 days for battery according to a post here from gloworm. Should be post 278 on this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @maximus
    So, how does the X2 compare against some of those other lights you have?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    @maximus
    So, how does the X2 compare against some of those other lights you have?
    I hope to test that out this weekend against my Betty and Wilma at least . The one thing I can say now as that this is much smaller and lighter than them. Initial guess is that the betty has quite a bit more range, and the wilma may have too while the x2 has a wider beam. I like the range of the wilma on the helmet so I am hoping that the x2 can come close to that for helmet use. The X2 is silly small and its hard to believe it pumps out so much light. I can't imagine the weight of the x2 on the helmet will even be noticed.

mtbr member
    Finally!....FedEx man must have been in good mood and left it at my door.

Quicky review: Everything seems to work. The wire to the remote is more than long enough so no worries there. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to work the menu choices but once learned they are super easy to change.

I was pleasantly pleased to discover that when using a menu that includes a flash or strobe ( known as a special mode ) YOU WON'T HAVE TO CYCLE THROUGH THAT MODE EXCEPT TO TURN OFF. That is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! This means you can just cycle through the steady modes and if you want the strobe you just press and hold and "There it is", flash, strobe or low dim ( depending on which menu ) is instantly at your command. Super Kudo's on such a well thought out menu interface.

I did do a quick inside-the- house comparison using the X2 standard optic setup ( one spot / one flood ) vs. my Bikeray IV. Very nice output from the X2. The Bikeray IV looks a bit brighter though. Of course one must remember the BR IV is using a 15 optic, the X2 a combo spot/flood. The X2 with this setup is producing a very nice uniform beam. It is completely even with not even a tinge of a spot that I could tell. I took the light outside to try to get a better idea of what it can do but unfortunately there is too much ambient light from the surrounding buildings ( not to mention a crystal clear Full Moon! ) to get an accurate representation of the beam pattern. Still, I liked what I saw. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out to a darker spot to do some more comparisons. Right now the full moon is working against me.

I still have yet to change out to a Spot/Spot optic set-up.

( * Quicky side note: One of my defunk XPG mini-torches has a reflector that looks like it just might fit the X2 housing. I won't know for sure though until I remove one of the optics. If it's a bit too long I might be able to dremel off some of the reflector. We'll see. The emitter hole looks big enough at first glance but once again I won't know till I try it. ) The bigger issue though would be ( even if it fits ) are there any major artifacts produced? I'll just have to wait and see. )

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just received mine today as well, intending to use it on the helmet with spot/spot lenses, even mounted very far forward can barely notice the weight. The remote is a great feature so much easier than having to find the button on the back of the light when its on ur head, i think i would prefer if the button had loops for a Velcro strap rather than just a velcro strip on the back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been playing with the optics on my X2's.

I swapped over a spot optic from one light to the other to try spot/spot. I was surprised at what a noticeable difference it made. It added a fair bit more throw and focussed the beam but still has a big hotspot of light. Perfect for helmet use I'd say.

Overall thoughts -
    Amazing output for such a compact light package.
    Well thought out programme system.
    Great value compared to the other branded lights on the market.
    Seems nicely machined and good quality.
    Great attention to detail.

There have been a few niggles mentioned on here but none significantly detract from the light and are to be expected with any new product.
    A non-captive O-ring isn't a problem for me - I pop it in my pocket when I remove the light. I actually find it easier to take on and off as it it.
    It sounds like the change of O-ring on the mount to a #105 has solved that issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Plus bring a lot of duct tape as well. You never know when you might need to use that

Of course, if I post here (off topic) what I am carrying in my camelback , you 'll all laugh !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ndisil, the warranty is 2 years for light head and 180 days for battery according to a post here from gloworm. Should be post 278 on this thread.
    Cool thanks!

mtbr member

Problem Consensus?

OK I just received my light! This thing is stupid bright for the size. I am really impressed.

It appears there's a list of issues to worry about though. Looking back through this thread the one I was most concerned about was the QC/thermal paste comment by Vag. What is the issue? I didn't see a description of how that was identified.

I did leave mine on for a while and it was getting really hot (not moving). I also have the 80% battery gauge problem.

Otherwise looks fantastic. And I'm off to get an o-ring #105....

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Mine arrived yesterday!

A day ahead of the predicted arrival date, which was very nice because it let me get out on the trails last night before today's rain.

As others have noted, it's a very nice looking kit, nicely designed and constructed. Having heard several comments now about how small the light is, I was prepared, but...MAN it is small! I was expecting something more like the size of my Gemini Xera, but it's quite a bit smaller in diameter.

The battery charged just fine. The light indicated 100% charge, so no problem there. I'm using this as a handlebar light. It mounted easily, and I really like how the lighthead can be centered in front of the stem, leaving room on the top of the stem for my Garmin Edge. Took me a minute to figure out how to set up the mount - it really helps to read the instructions, they are clear but sometimes it's hard to slow down and actually read them! Mounted the battery, plugged in the extension cord (no problem there, either), and off I went!

For such a small size, it's amazing how much light the X2 puts out. But as GraXXor has noted, it is spread quite wide. It worked well as a bar light, but I could have used a bit more focus and throw, so I'm going to swap the flood optic for the spot and go spot-spot for the next ride. (Really nice that an extra optic was included for free to make this possible, though they are cheap to buy.)

I actually expected the light to be a bit brighter. I thought it would dominate my Xera on my helmet since the Xera is nominally 800 lumens, and it did look a lot brighter in my garage, but on the trail they seemed about the same brightness. The Xera isn't a tight spot, either. Perhaps the X2 will seem brighter with the spot-spot combination. In any case, the combination of X2 on the bars and Xera on the helmet was great! The X2 really covered the trail well, and the Xera gave extra illumination as needed, especially around corners. On steep, rutted singletrack I wasn't as fast as during the day, but I could go plenty fast on fire road descents.

The battery life seemed very good. I did a one-hour ride and the battery indicator was on 80% at the end. I rode on high or boost on the flats and downhill and mostly on low on the climbs (probably 30 minutes).

My main issues so far: (1) The remote is very nice, but with the enclosed velcro strip the remote slides around. It's actually hard to hit the button easily because the remote tends to move away as you do so. As suggested somewhere in this thread, a velcro disk with adhesive backing would be a good solution, although I'd rather have something I could easily remove when I take the light off. Some sort of rubberized strip might be better. (2) There is not much difference between the light output at high and boost in the trail program mode. You can see a little bit of brightening, the light gets whiter, but it really is surprising how little difference in coverage is apparent. This is supposed to be the difference between 900 lumens and 1200 lumens, which should be big! Instead, they both seem comparable to my Xera. It doesn't look like 1200 lumens to me compared to the Xera - but these are my first lights so I don't really have a good standard of comparison. I do notice that the branches up high were well lit, so it could be that a change in the optics will make it seem brighter (as graXXor again has noted, in swapping in eliptical optics to get more usable light on the ground). Regardless, the amount of light was very usable and it lit up the trail very well, so I'm happy with the combination.

Except for the boost not being as bright as I expected, the light sequence program is nicely thought out. The low was good for general riding and especially climbing. It's easy to get to the "special" mode of dim (100 lumens) when desired, but usually you are just cycling between the normal modes. I haven't switched between programs yet, but that looks easy.

I still have a couple of things to sort out. I am not sure the best place to mount the battery - I put it in a water bottle cage, which is fine but maybe not the best. This has nothing to do with this light, of course, just me figuring out what to do with the battery. I did want to be able to see the battery display, though, which made some of the places I thought about not suitable. I haven't gotten an extra o-ring or checked for excess thermal paste or anything like that. I may find something when I swap out the flood optic, but the workmanship seems top-notch!

All in all, I'm very pleased with the light. I think it is by far the best value out there! It's a great design, really lightweight and small for the amount of light, and a good price. The combo with the Xera as a helmet light worked really well, everything I was hoping for. I had a blast out there last night, and can't wait to use it again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    OK I just received my light! This thing is stupid bright for the size. I am really impressed.

It appears there's a list of issues to worry about though. Looking back through this thread the one I was most concerned about was the QC/thermal paste comment by Vag. What is the issue? I didn't see a description of how that was identified.

I did leave mine on for a while and it was getting really hot (not moving). I also have the 80% battery gauge problem.

thanks!
    I think it was GraXXor that had an issue when trying to change the optics in his lights. The thermal paste had kinda glued the optic in place and there was a solder blob that was getting in the way of the optic seating correctly when replacing it. Not really a super major issue.

Any of these type of light will get hot when standing still (and switched to high). They really need airflow to keep them cool and stop them decreasing output to stop damage.

mtbr member
    Lights showed up on Monday and had just enough time to get a full charge on them for the after work ride. I like - size - output - remote all good so far. I'm another that didn't get my extra lens either. I was only out a couple hours but so far these are my go to light

Thanks,
    Ed

just a Newbie
    I received my X2. The small package is nice. The remote is a plus now that the light head adjustment will not get knocked out of place as compare to other lightheaded that has the On/off switch on the light. The programming selection is easy to figure out. No problem swapping lens to make it spot/spot.

Intitial power up indoor got me skeptical of the claim 1200 lumens. It was slightly brighter than my Gen2 Xera and almost identical to my BR IV. First thing I notice when compare side by side with the Xera and BR IV was the tint. The X2 had more green tint while the BR IV and Xera is white. It may be the tint that make my eyes perceive the brightness less. So then I decided to get out my light meter and did some lux test. My room is small so the overall lux reading is slightly higher than MTBR value. However it is all relative reading in term of each light unit I tested. Here are the values:

X2 IN BOOST: 129
    XERA HIGH: 85
    BR IV HIGH: 98
    TITAN P7 : 55
    MS 808 P7: 46
    MS XML: 75

It seem the X2 does produce the claim lumens. The beam is more of a flood even with the spot/spot lens. Personally I also prefer a more white tint since I do more road than trail, but this tint probably works better on trail than road. I also wish an Allen wrench was included with the light. Not that I don't have one, but I'm sure someone else may not.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    I received my X2. The small package is nice. The remote is a plus now that the light head adjustment will not get knocked out of place as compare to other lightheaded that has the On/off switch on the light. The programming selection is easy to figure out. No problem swapping lens to make it spot/spot.

Intitial power up indoor got me skeptical of the claim 1200 lumens. It was slightly brighter than my Gen2 Xera and almost identical to my BR IV. First thing I notice when compare side by side with the Xera and BR IV was the tint. The X2 had more green tint while the BR IV and Xera is white. It may be the tint that make my eyes perceive the brightness less. So then I decided to get out my light meter and did some lux test. My room is small so the overall lux reading is slightly higher than MTBR value. However it is all relative reading in term of each light unit I tested. Here are the values:

It seem the X2 does produce the claim lumens. The beam is more of a flood even with the spot/spot lens. Personally I also prefer a more white tint since I do more road than trail, but this tint probably works better on trail than road. I also wish an Allen wrench was included with the light. Not that I don't have one, but I'm sure someone else may not.
    Hey,

Well its great to hear all the feedback.

Just to confirm, we will be including a hex tool with the next production run - quite possibly in Gloworm green!

Also, as stated previously we will also plan to include adhesive velrco spots in the future.

Lastly, a big apology for the optics not being shipped as planned - well not to everyone. We'll get those sorted and out to you...asap.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

'...it's more fun with the lites on!'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    ....For such a small size, it's amazing how much light the X2 puts out. But as GraXXor has noted, it is spread quite wide. It worked well as a bar light, but I could have used a bit more focus and throw, so I'm going to swap the flood optic for the spot and go spot-spot for the next ride. (Really nice that an extra optic was included for free to make this possible, though they are cheap to buy.)

I actually expected the light to be a bit brighter. I thought it would dominate my Xera on my helmet since the Xera is nominally 800 lumens, and it did look a lot brighter in my garage, but on the trail they seemed about the same brightness. The Xera isn't a tight spot, either. Perhaps the X2 will seem brighter with the spot-spot combination.
    I took my X2 with me to work today to try out when I got a break. After trying it out in a couple spots I have to admit that I was not happy. I was expecting it to be brighter and my Bikeray IV was just over all brighter. The problem it seems is with the flood optic. It spreads the light out so much that the throw and beam intensity suffer terribly. Fine if you just want to point the light down and shine a big spot in front of you however that is not what I wanted. I was afraid that I might have to return it because it just wasn't measuring up to my expectations... ( with the spot/flood optic ).

When I got home tonight I popped the flood optic out and put the other spot optic in. ( Yes, having the right hex wrench helps.. ) There are some problems putting in the optic. The wires along the bottom of the board are causing the optic not to seat properly. I suppose with a Dremel tool or file you could make a notch in the optic holder and then it would seat properly. Still I got it to sit fairly well and all went back together fairly easily. I'd feel better about it though if i knew the optics were completely seated.

The result of changing the optics to spot/spot vastly improved the over-all intensity of the output, not to mention the throw and made the over-all beam pattern much more usable. I have yet to give it a good test though but I did go outside behind where I live where there are some dirt trails ( yes, at 3:30AM and 32F ) just so
    I could see the difference. It is SOOOOOOO much better. ( Whew! ) Looks like I'll keep it ...at least for now.

From what I could tell ( with the spot optics ) the beam pattern comes out almost squarish. Yes, I know that sounds strange but it looks fine when in use. It is a more confined beam and appears to clearly throw ~ *100 ft. ( *Maybe more, the trail I was on took a sharp turn but boy was the trail nice and bright. )

Once again, all this is just "first impression ramblings". The real tests will come when I do beam shots against some of my other lights. Unfortunately it is suppose to snow where I live tomorrow. That is a super bummer. I'm hopeful that maybe I might get to ride with it Saturday. Looks like I'll just have to wait and see.

( *Side Note on the reflector I mentioned before: It almost fit. There are some threads on the lower part that need to be filed down. Other than that it fits perfectly...I think. Now the question is , "Is the emitter centered"?...If not it won't work. I'll just have to buy some files and cross my fingers. : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'll just have to buy some files and cross my fingers. :[/I] )
    Try out the X(2)-Files, they' l do the job better !!

It's a nice light though, I think !
    For road riding it lights up dark streets and scenery very well .
    When in the drt roads os singletracks , you definitely need a spot light in the helmet to anticipate the shadows of the bar light(s) and to lit where your head turns , it 's also very helpful in repairs... when it gets dark ...

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post

thanks!
    As tb123 said, I just found the thermal paste all over the place when I opened the front cover to replace the optics. It effectively acted like glue, holding the optics in place. Still, nothing one of those little cotton wool balls on the end of a little stick, coated in alcohol couldn't sort out.

The solder blob was a little more annoying since they (quite rightly) appear to be using high temperature solder. In the end, I took a knife to it to reduce the volume then used my soldering gun to flatten it.

I would like to say that in both lights, the solder was a very shiny and smooth globe, consistent with a clean solder joint, unlike the hideous grey monstrosities one used to find inside Magicshine 808s. It was just a little large, that's all.

In the case of the elliptical lens (which cannot be rotated for obvious reasons) I had to hollow out a dent in the back of the plastic optics holder to accommodate the blob though.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja View Post
    I've been playing with the optics on my X2's.

I swapped over a spot optic from one light to the other to try spot/spot. I was surprised at what a noticeable difference it made. It added a fair bit more throw and focussed the beam but still has a big hotspot of light. Perfect for helmet use I'd say.

Overall thoughts -
    Amazing output for such a compact light package.
    Well thought out programme system.
    Great value compared to the other branded lights on the market.
    Seems nicely machined and good quality.
    Great attention to detail.

There have been a few niggles mentioned on here but none significantly detract from the light and are to be expected with any new product.
    A non-captive O-ring isn't a problem for me - I pop it in my pocket when I remove the light. I actually find it easier to take on and off as it it.
    It sounds like the change of O-ring on the mount to a #105 has solved that issue.
    I agree on all the points. However, for me a captive o-loop is a must. every time I park my bike somewhere I have to remove the lights. Since it is often 1 or 2 degrees C out there and my fingers are often frozen numb, or at least sluggish, I hate it when one of the hoops plings off into a bush in the middle of the night.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    A day ahead of the predicted arrival date, which was very nice because it let me get out on the trails last night before today's rain.

For such a small size, it's amazing how much light the X2 puts out. But as GraXXor has noted, it is spread quite wide. It worked well as a bar light, but I could have used a bit more focus and throw, so I'm going to swap the flood optic for the spot and go spot-spot for the next ride. (Really nice that an extra optic was included for free to make this possible, though they are cheap to buy.)

I actually expected the light to be a bit brighter. I thought it would dominate my Xera on my helmet since the Xera is nominally 800 lumens, and it did look a lot brighter in my garage, but on the trail they seemed about the same brightness. The Xera isn't a tight spot, either. Perhaps the X2 will seem brighter with the spot-spot combination. In any case, the combination of X2 on the bars and Xera on the helmet was great! The X2 really covered the trail well, and the Xera gave extra illumination as needed, especially around corners. On steep, rutted singletrack I wasn't as fast as during the day, but I could go plenty fast on fire road descents.

The battery life seemed very good. I did a one-hour ride and the battery indicator was on 80% at the end. I rode on high or boost on the flats and downhill and mostly on low on the climbs (probably 30 minutes).

My main issues so far: (1) The remote is very nice, but with the enclosed velcro strip the remote slides around. It's actually hard to hit the button easily because the remote tends to move away as you do so. As suggested somewhere in this thread, a velcro disk with adhesive backing would be a good solution, although I'd rather have something I could easily remove when I take the light off. Some sort of rubberized strip might be better. (2) There is not much difference between the light output at high and boost in the trail program mode. You can see a little bit of brightening, the light gets whiter, but it really is surprising how little difference in coverage is apparent. This is supposed to be the difference between 900 lumens and 1200 lumens, which should be big! Instead, they both seem comparable to my Xera. It doesn't look like 1200 lumens to me compared to the Xera - but these are my first lights so I don't really have a good standard of comparison. I do notice that the branches up high were well lit, so it could be that a change in the optics will make it seem brighter (as graXXor again has noted, in swapping in eliptical optics to get more usable light on the ground). Regardless, the amount of light was very usable and it lit up the trail very well, so I'm happy with the combination.

Except for the boost not being as bright as I expected, the light sequence program is nicely thought out. The low was good for general riding and especially climbing. It's easy to get to the "special" mode of dim (100 lumens) when desired, but usually you are just cycling between the normal modes. I haven't switched between programs yet, but that looks easy.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the light. I think it is by far the best value out there! It's a great design, really lightweight and small for the amount of light, and a good price. The combo with the Xera as a helmet light worked really well, everything I was hoping for. I had a blast out there last night, and can't wait to use it again!
    Great summary and I think your experiences match mine.

It's bloody small and bloody bright! No, seriously! It's weapon grade and as you said, in a confined space, which acts like an integrating sphere to some extent, you really feel the light. This will make it great for tight spaces and indeed it works in the tight confines of Japanese backstreets which I often use it on.

However it's not "bright" in the sense of flux density. Put it on the open road and you really wish there were some decent optics for it.

But if you've seen my beamshots, you'll see that the spot^2 setup is a touch more punchy.

Beamshots

I, too, love the programme. They are to all intents and purposes perfect. After one day, it was second nature and I have two on the bars to think about! One on Trail Mode with the 100 lm special.... Great for parking, waiting at zebra crossings and cycling through crowds of people. The other is set to Commuter Mode, so the special flash and super wide flood is SPECTACULAR. On Tokyo's insane, multi level junctions with flyovers, underpasses and multi lanes, the floody 700lm flasher is pure heaven and lights up the lanes waiting to descend to ground level, the sheer right-angle traffic threatening to barge in and of course, those oncomers, just waiting to cut you off on a right handed turn (we drive on the left, here).

Yes, I never use the boost mode (except in the beamshots) because of the only marginal increase it gives over the regular "high" modes, but if the run times are that much different between the two, then it just shows the law of diminishing returns one can expect from an XM-L, which are known to favour low currents.

In that sense, I think High is the best compromise.

The velcro needs to be rethought. The button slides around under my thumb. very annoying. Sticky velcro needed... must go shopping. I can't see it lasting long with my usage patterns... 3 times on and off a day... hmmm

Most of all, they are such fun to use. There is something about these little, unassuming lights, just sitting there waiting to be turned on... and then BLAM! Wall of light! Here's waiting for some Action LED super-spot or aspherical optics or Arc( is that his name?) over on the DIY forums.
    Last edited by GraXXoR; 02-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.

night riding enthusiast
    Sorry for the serial postings, but this thread is on fire!

Finally!....FedEx man must have been in good mood and left it at my door.

Quicky review: Everything seems to work. The wire to the remote is more than long enough so no worries there. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to work the menu choices but once learned they are super easy to change.

I was pleasantly pleased to discover that when using a menu that includes a flash or strobe ( known as a special mode ) YOU WON'T HAVE TO CYCLE THROUGH THAT MODE EXCEPT TO TURN OFF. That is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! This means you can just cycle through the steady modes and if you want the strobe you just press and hold and "There it is", flash, strobe or low dim ( depending on which menu ) is instantly at your command. Super Kudo's on such a well thought out menu interface.

I did do a quick inside-the- house comparison using the X2 standard optic setup ( one spot / one flood ) vs. my Bikeray IV. Very nice output from the X2. The Bikeray IV looks a bit brighter though. Of course one must remember the BR IV is using a 15 optic, the X2 a combo spot/flood. The X2 with this setup is producing a very nice uniform beam. It is completely even with not even a tinge of a spot that I could tell. I took the light outside to try to get a better idea of what it can do but unfortunately there is too much ambient light from the surrounding buildings ( not to mention a crystal clear Full Moon! ) to get an accurate representation of the beam pattern. Still, I liked what I saw. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out to a darker spot to do some more comparisons. Right now the full moon is working against me.

I still have yet to change out to a Spot/Spot optic set-up.

( * Quicky side note: One of my defunk XPG mini-torches has a reflector that looks like it just might fit the X2 housing. I won't know for sure though until I remove one of the optics. If it's a bit too long I might be able to dremel off some of the reflector. We'll see. The emitter hole looks big enough at first glance but once again I won't know till I try it. ) The bigger issue though would be ( even if it fits ) are there any major artifacts produced? I'll just have to wait and see. )
    Great insight, thanks for taking the effort to write it up... What with the sheer number of lights you have and all...

The programming is awesome, and it would be infuriating to return to a multimode Magicshine with our favourite "flash-of-death" and "Vim Dieselesqu Pitch-Black" modes mixed in to the regular rotation.

The smoothness of the beam can probably be put down to the lack of focus: big die and small, shallow optic. But yes, it's triple-blade smooth.

If you do decide to give it a go with a reflector, I'd love to know how it goes.

night riding enthusiast

Numbers.... Cool...

I guess that just about nails it. The X2 is a lumen beast.

Thanks for the quantitative exam. it's almost 50% brighter than the Xera!

Yes, the green tint is really apparent for the first few minutes on the road and in the (expanding) areas in Japan which use LED street lighting, having discarded Sodium, Mercury and flourescent lights after the earthquake put the pinch on our electricity supplies.

Still, once out on the open road and in the dark, where the light is actually needed, I find my eyes get used to the tint.

But why IS it green though? That was my thought... Is it something to do with the binning?

night riding enthusiast

Last post tonight... I promise.

I just updated a couple of beamshots.

These are not scientific, just to give an impression.

Note the Carpark shots are particularly illuminating, so to speak and turned out exactly as I remember the scene being lit and show the massive amount of light these things give out...

The whole carpark (about 30 cars can park there) became daylight with a couple of these on the bars! yay.

Note that I use spot^2 and elliptical^2 dual X2 (X2^2) setup.

Beamshots

Note.... I have no financial or other connection with Gloworm Other than having paid a very reasonable amount for a pair of their awesome 1.0 lights. heheh!

Let's just see how long they last with daily repeated use.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    it's almost 50% brighter than the Xera!
    With two emitters to the Xera's single, it should be

just a Newbie
    Numbers.... Cool...

I guess that just about nails it. The X2 is a lumen beast.

Thanks for the quantitative exam. it's almost 50% brighter than the Xera!

Yes, the green tint is really apparent for the first few minutes on the road and in the (expanding) areas in Japan which use LED street lighting, having discarded Sodium, Mercury and flourescent lights after the earthquake put the pinch on our electricity supplies.

Still, once out on the open road and in the dark, where the light is actually needed, I find my eyes get used to the tint.

But why IS it green though? That was my thought... Is it something to do with the binning?
    Those lux value can be a little deceiving. Although the X2 has almost 50% more lux, the punch and the clear white tint from the Xera cannot be overshadow by the X2 in certain situation.

This morning, I ran the X2 with spot/spot and a Xera with Optics on my helmet. It was odd running both lights on high mode. When I look down, I see a flood of lights with a hint of green tint, bit when I look up at the distant, I see the white and almost bluish tiny from the Xera. That pretty much tells me the Xera is doing a better throw even with the Reflector optics. On the other hand, the higher output of the X2 can overshadow the Xera at close range. I notice that at far range, the flood of the X2 does not make my eyes adjust and allow a larger reflector setup like the Xera to still ne useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

It seem the X2 does produce the claim lumens. The beam is more of a flood even with the spot/spot lens.
    Great to see these numbers! Thanks! So interesting that the perceived light doesn't really match the measured output, but that must be because of the beam spread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey,

Well its great to hear all the feedback.

Just to confirm, we will be including a hex tool with the next production run - quite possibly in Gloworm green!

Also, as stated previously we will also plan to include adhesive velrco spots in the future.

Lastly, a big apology for the optics not being shipped as planned - well not to everyone. We'll get those sorted and out to you...asap.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Bruce and Vag,

It's great to see how responsive you are to comments! Your responsiveness was one of the reasons I took the plunge and bought my light before production, and I'm glad I did!

I have plenty of 4mm hex wrenches, but I also thought it would be nice to have one in the bag with other small parts. And the velcro spot is also something that's easy to get, but nicer not to have to. (My extra optic was included, so I guess that was hit or miss.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just updated a couple of beamshots.

These are not scientific, just to give an impression.

Note the Carpark shots are particularly illuminating, so to speak and turned out exactly as I remember the scene being lit and show the massive amount of light these things give out...

The whole carpark (about 30 cars can park there) became daylight with a couple of these on the bars! yay.

Note that I use spot^2 and elliptical^2 dual X2 (X2^2) setup.

Beamshots

Note.... I have no financial or other connection with Gloworm Other than having paid a very reasonable amount for a pair of their awesome 1.0 lights. heheh!

Let's just see how long they last with daily repeated use.
    Thanks for the beamshots. The carpark shots with spot-spot vs eliptical did show quite a difference, reinforcing my interest in trying spot-spot for my next ride. It looks like it will make a difference!

mtbr member
    ..If you do decide to give it a go with a reflector, I'd love to know how it goes.
    I will but realistically I doubt that it will tighten the spot. I just wish I had some hobby tools to help me with this. I'm not big into part modding.

About the spot optics; I think this is about as tight as the optics can get. The reason I say that is because the beam pattern is a virtual square with the spot optics. That means the spot optic is directly projecting the "Die" of the XM-L led ( which is square ). As such I don't think you can get tighter than that with an optic.

Now you might be able to tighten the beam a bit with a longer reflector. Doing so would narrow the beam to a point where it would only be useful for helmet use but boy would it throw. In order to use a longer reflector the front of the lamp would need to be re-designed. This should only require a longer front piece with longer screws. Still, the question remains; can reflectors this narrow be useful?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

O rings

Oh, i get it with the o rings now. I thought you guys were talking about the small o rings between the mount and the light head, not the large one that attaches the whole unit to the handle bars. Yep, can see where that would be a problem if it went missing in the bush.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Custom made Gloworm Green!

night riding enthusiast

New question here.

Those lux value can be a little deceiving. Although the X2 has almost 50% more lux, the punch and the clear white tint from the Xera cannot be overshadow by the X2 in certain situation.

This morning, I ran the X2 with spot/spot and a Xera with Optics on my helmet. It was odd running both lights on high mode. When I look down, I see a flood of lights with a hint of green tint, bit when I look up at the distant, I see the white and almost bluish tiny from the Xera. That pretty much tells me the Xera is doing a better throw even with the Reflector optics. On the other hand, the higher output of the X2 can overshadow the Xera at close range. I notice that at far range, the flood of the X2 does not make my eyes adjust and allow a larger reflector setup like the Xera to still ne useful.
    Sorry, is you Xera Optics or Reflector... I can't figure it out from your post.

Also, could you take a photo of the Xera lighthead next to the X2, I'd like to see its physical size.

As always, beamshots would be lovely.

TIA

just a Newbie
    Sorry, is you Xera Optics or Reflector... I can't figure it out from your post.

Also, could you take a photo of the Xera lighthead next to the X2, I'd like to see its physical size.

As always, beamshots would be lovely.

TIA
    I have the original reflector which came with the Xera. It is the optic and not the reflector. Sorry for the confusion, Gemini label their thrower optic as "reflector" and it can get mighty confusion. Here are some picture of the setup on top of my helmet. Not sure when I can do some beamshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-dscn2318.jpg  

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-dscn2316.jpg  

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-dscn2317.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got both my x2s today. So small, they're actually really cute I'll test them out tonight.

noob question: The spot lens is the clear one, yes?
    Last edited by Purt; 02-08-2012 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    anyone in Oz got their lights yet??

Mine says it's been sitting in customs since yesterday, but the tracking is painfully slow to update, so who knows, might turn up tomorrow

mtbr member
    ...Continued from my last post:

Tonight I got a chance to play around with the X2 again while at work. Thankfully the expected snow did not show up, just an all day drizzle. During my night I happened to find two rather dark lacrosse/ field hockey fields. After checking the dimensions of said fields ( on the net ) I have to say I am rather surprised. I say that because the X2
    ( spot/spot ) did a very good job of lighting up the field.

On the first one I pointed it across the field from the side line to the other side line. The beam pattern had no problem reaching to the other side ( ~ 160-180ft. ) Conditions were wet and the air moist with rain. Not the ideal conditions for beam tests. Still the X2 performed very well. Even though the optics are so called "spot optics", the actual beam pattern looks nothing like what most people would consider a spot. The beam pattern is about ~50-60ft. wide and completely uniform regardless of distance. It is almost like looking at the beam pattern put out by your average car. To put another way a straight 50ft wide swath of light that carries very well beyond 100ft...no artifacts, no hot spot.

Later in the night I tried it at another field. This time I was projecting from the corner near one of the goals. Once again, conditions about the same and once again I was much impressed. I could see portions of the far side of the field and beyond. I would guess way beyond 200ft.

Now all this is nice but I have yet to do a test that will determine "usable throw". To do that I need to place markers. That will have to wait till the weekend ( and I hope it doesn't rain again.. ) I really wish I could do a trail test because I have a feeling the wide beam pattern could possibly hamper the usable throw effect. As far as that goes I would be hard pressed ( in the dead of winter ) to find a good trail with a decent amount of foliage to perform such a test.
    ( Not to mention one that isn't all mud.... )

All things considered, unless these and all my past observations are completely off the whack, the X2 should make a decent bar lamp ( Which is what I bought it for ). I can't wait to get in on the bike and ride. Crossing my fingers for this weekend... even if it is freaking cold..
    Hopefully the X2 will perform as well on dirt trails as it does on wet grass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    anyone in Oz got their lights yet??

Mine says it's been sitting in customs since yesterday, but the tracking is painfully slow to update, so who knows, might turn up tomorrow
    Yeah, I got mine today, they were in customs yesterday.

Gave them a quick test run just then, awesome, but as others have the beam is very broad, even with the spot lens. Still

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purt View Post
    Got both my x2s today. So small, they're actually really cute I'll test them out tonight.

noob question: The spot lens is the clear one, yes?
    Yes... Spot is clear, wide has square-like patterns in it and the elliptical yatsu has rectangles in it.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

night riding enthusiast
    ...Continued from my last post:

Tonight I got a chance to play around with the X2 again while at work. Thankfully the expected snow did not show up, just an all day drizzle. During my night I happened to find two rather dark lacrosse/ field hockey fields. After checking the dimensions of said fields ( on the net ) I have to say I am rather surprised. I say that because the X2
    ( spot/spot ) did a very good job of lighting up the field.

On the first one I pointed it across the field from the side line to the other side line. The beam pattern had no problem reaching to the other side ( ~ 160-180ft. ) Conditions were wet and the air moist with rain. Not the ideal conditions for beam tests. Still the X2 performed very well. Even though the optics are so called "spot optics", the actual beam pattern looks nothing like what most people would consider a spot. The beam pattern is about ~50-60ft. wide and completely uniform regardless of distance. It is almost like looking at the beam pattern put out by your average car. To put another way a straight 50ft wide swath of light that carries very well beyond 100ft...no artifacts, no hot spot.

Later in the night I tried it at another field. This time I was projecting from the corner near one of the goals. Once again, conditions about the same and once again I was much impressed. I could see portions of the far side of the field and beyond. I would guess way beyond 200ft.

Now all this is nice but I have yet to do a test that will determine "usable throw". To do that I need to place markers. That will have to wait till the weekend ( and I hope it doesn't rain again.. ) I really wish I could do a trail test because I have a feeling the wide beam pattern could possibly hamper the usable throw effect. As far as that goes I would be hard pressed ( in the dead of winter ) to find a good trail with a decent amount of foliage to perform such a test.
    ( Not to mention one that isn't all mud.... )

All things considered, unless these and all my past observations are completely off the whack, the X2 should make a decent bar lamp ( Which is what I bought it for ). I can't wait to get in on the bike and ride. Crossing my fingers for this weekend... even if it is freaking cold..
    Hopefully the X2 will perform as well on dirt trails as it does on wet grass.
    Yes, my initial observation was that it had an ultimate throw of about 120-130m or about 400ft. As for usable... That's purely personal. Did you see the carpark shots I put up on Flickr?

That confirms what I thought, an immense, smooth wall of light with neither artefact nor noticeable hotspot. Very natural flood. Looking forward to the piccies.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast