Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Eh?
    Jul 2004
    Looks like Gloworm allows one to live a nocturnal lifestyle! Can't wait to get mine!
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just started the measurements today and I also wanted to see the maximum temperature of course. I have to say I had an unhealthy feeling when the temperature made its way towards 100C but at 97C the overheating protection kicked in and lowered the brightness - pheeew

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    I just started the measurements today and I also wanted to see the maximum temperature of course. I have to say I had an unhealthy feeling when the temperature made its way towards 100C but at 97C the overheating protection kicked in and lowered the brightness - pheeew
    Hey Shoggy,

Can you please let the consumers know which version of the X2 you are running - Version1 or 2. I'm a wee bit concerned about the temperature and where that was measured.

We lowered the threshold between v1 and v2. With V2, the light will prepare to drop the brightness at 55deg C, then start at 60deg C. This measurement is taken at the electronics board.

If you have a version 1, let me know and I will gladly send you a version 2 to conduct the same test.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mhhh, I already have the V2

I have used a PeakTech IR thermometer from my workplace and I would say it works pretty accurate. I measured the temperature on the following spot using the laser pointing guide:

The tape was on all the time to make sure that the reflection of the aluminum or its coating/anodization etc. will not affect the sensor of the thermometer.

It was impossible to touch the lamp so it was definitely far beyond 60C. I did a test run of all modes with at least 20 minutes without active cooling and then I added a fan for at least 10 minutes. The 1300, 1200 and 1000 mode reached temperatures above 90C. I have all test runs on video including the values from an USB Xrite Display i1 Pro for exact measurements of the brightness. I can send you a copy of the 1300 test run if you are interested.

Please check your private messages for an additional question

Gloworm Lights
    Hey All,

To update you on the below issue:

We have spoken to Shoggy directly and discovered the probable reasons for his unit reaching higher temps than expected. Based on these we will be further refining our assembly and Quality Control processes to ensure the issue does not occur again.

The main issue was the contact between the LED board and the housing (thermal path). There was a small imperfection in the andodizing that prevented the board from sitting flush within the confines of the housing additionally the thermal compound was not applied in the correct manner.

This resulted in 2 things - the heat generated by the LEDs was not drawn away as effectively as it should have been. The second, the heat being genrated by the LED was not making its way the sensor to tell the light it was heating up.

These issues will be corrected and extra measures put in place to ensure the quality of the product.

Our advice to current users is as follows:

As can be read in the instructions - Ensure there is airflow over the unit when operating.
    If you have any queries please do not hesitate to email me bruce@glowormlites.co.nz

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Mhhh, I already have the V2

I have used a PeakTech IR thermometer from my workplace and I would say it works pretty accurate. I measured the temperature on the following spot using the laser pointing guide:

The tape was on all the time to make sure that the reflection of the aluminum or its coating/anodization etc. will not affect the sensor of the thermometer.

It was impossible to touch the lamp so it was definitely far beyond 60C. I did a test run of all modes with at least 20 minutes without active cooling and then I added a fan for at least 10 minutes. The 1300, 1200 and 1000 mode reached temperatures above 90C. I have all test runs on video including the values from an USB Xrite Display i1 Pro for exact measurements of the brightness. I can send you a copy of the 1300 test run if you are interested.

Please check your private messages for an additional question

Action LED Lights
    FYI
    The Gloworm X2 is now available in the US
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    FYI
    Were the lights being sold now produced after introduction of the corrections described in the post immediately above yours?

Action LED Lights
    Yes, they are fresh stock, just delivered and include the corrections described above.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    FYI
    With the addition of a good US supplier (for those of us who live in the US) it looks like this light now has everything. I hope you do well with it.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was on the fence, but now that I can get one from action led lights I'm sold.

Eh?
    Jul 2004
    Every product has it's fair share of issues or disadvantages but after using it a few times to replace the sun at night, this light has been a great addition to my biking equipment! I used HID before and the quality of LED has far exceeded what my old Niterider HID system could ouput.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    ~All~

We will probably have a look at the programme mode levels for our new batch of boards so any feedback would be great!

Cheers

Bruce
    I would simplify user interface to get quick access to each mode, especially to the High:
    - each single click would toggle between Low and Medium and memorize last used mode;
    - double click would toggle to the High regardless of previous mode;
    - single (or double?) click in High would go back to previous memorized mode (Low or Medium);
    - 2s long would activate special mode;
    etc...

Peter

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Video

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I would simplify user interface to get quick access to each mode, especially to the High:
    - each single click would toggle between Low and Medium and memorize last used mode;
    - double click would toggle to the High regardless of previous mode;
    - single (or double?) click in High would go back to previous memorized mode (Low or Medium);
    - 2s long would activate special mode;
    etc...

Peter
    Perhaps a short video showing how to toggle between the different modes? I find it a bit confusing trying to figure it all out. Outside of that so far I love the lights. Keep up the great work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    Perhaps a short video showing how to toggle between the different modes? I find it a bit confusing trying to figure it all out. Outside of that so far I love the lights. Keep up the great work.
    Actually, changing modes is simple...just press the button....L, M, H....L, M, H....circular. To get to the one sub-mode you press and hold.

Ozzy, I think what you are referring to is changing from "menu to menu". Yes, that is a bit more complicated but if you keep a copy of the directions with you it is a minor inconvenience.

GLOWORM....I have my own ideas on some improvements. More and more people are getting interested in having bike lights for day time use, both front and rear. My idea is to create a clip on lens holder that would fit over the front of the lamp. That really shouldn't be too hard to do and would triple the lamp's effective use. Used with a dark red lens it would become a high output rear lamp. Used with an Amber lens it becomes a high output day time "See Me" lamp ( front or back! ) To make it all work you just need to include ( or substitute ) one of the menus to include a special "Flash Menu mode". ( 3 types of flash and two steady mode (L-H) on the sub level ) Now just what that "Flash menu " would actually look like would involved some dialog and careful thought.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Actually, changing modes is simple...just press the button....L, M, H....L, M, H....circular. To get to the one sub-mode you press and hold.
    That's not the same IMHO. Cycling through the modes requires you to remember the last mode and needs more attention (especially during the ride), while double-click to go to the High mode (from whichever mode) and back to previous mode is intuitive without extra thinking. I have Spark headlight with this type of interface and also Zebralight with cycle-through-modes interface and feel big difference when use them on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Correct

Ozzy, I think what you are referring to is changing from "menu to menu". Yes, that is a bit more complicated but if you keep a copy of the directions with you it is a minor inconvenience.

GLOWORM....I have my own ideas on some improvements. More and more people are getting interested in having bike lights for day time use, both front and rear. My idea is to create a clip on lens holder that would fit over the front of the lamp. That really shouldn't be too hard to do and would triple the lamp's effective use. Used with a dark red lens it would become a high output rear lamp. Used with an Amber lens it becomes a high output day time "See Me" lamp ( front or back! ) To make it all work you just need to include ( or substitute ) one of the menus to include a special "Flash Menu mode". ( 3 types of flash and two steady mode (L-H) on the sub level ) Now just what that "Flash menu " would actually look like would involved some dialog and careful thought.
    Yes cat that is what I am referring to.... Switching from menu to menu. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Had a problem with one of my batteries. The cord pulled out right were it goes into the cap of the battery case. I tried to push it back in, but that didn't work so I ended up pulling off the cap to the battery case and got it back where it belongs. Now I need to glue it back together so what do you guys recommend for glue. I need to put a dab to hold the wire where it enters the the battery case and then put some glue around the battery pack end cap to hold that.. There is some white glue that is already on there, but that didn't hold up well obviously. It seems like a weak point where the cord enters the top of the battery pack as after seeing how it looks opened up it doesn't seem sturdy.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    Had a problem with one of my batteries. The cord pulled out right were it goes into the cap of the battery case. I tried to push it back in, but that didn't work so I ended up pulling off the cap to the battery case and got it back where it belongs. Now I need to glue it back together so what do you guys recommend for glue. I need to put a dab to hold the wire where it enters the the battery case and then put some glue around the battery pack end cap to hold that.. There is some white glue that is already on there, but that didn't hold up well obviously. It seems like a weak point where the cord enters the top of the battery pack as after seeing how it looks opened up it doesn't seem sturdy.

Hello Maximus,

Our warranty will cover this problem. For any future issues, let us know prior to 'checking' it yourself. We've sent you a PM regarding this issue.

We have improved the battery assembly for the last 5 months and glue is not anymore used.

Thanks,
    Vag
    Gloworm Manufacturing

mtbr member
    I'm curious how folks have mounted the battery to their bars. I normally use Ay-Ups and Niterider X2 for my road bike, but need something brighter. I can see how the Gloworm is easy to throw in your jersey pocket or Camelbak, but how else can attach to your frame. Thanks!

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by allenpg View Post
    I'm curious how folks have mounted the battery to their bars. I normally use Ay-Ups and Niterider X2 for my road bike, but need something brighter. I can see how the Gloworm is easy to throw in your jersey pocket or Camelbak, but how else can attach to your frame. Thanks!
    I've attached a couple of shots to explain how the battery is attached to the bar or frame during use. There is also an adhesive foam strip that can be attached to the battery to protect the frame (if required).

The same method can be used to attach the battery beneath the stem.

Also of note, we will soon be releasing a smaller 2-cell battery.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi Vag,

I'm having a problem with the stock adhesive for the remote switch since it could easily be detach. I've tried using a gorilla glue and it did the trick but at the same time it made my handle bar look undesirable and left a residue which is hard to remove. I was wondering if there is a material where I can wrap the bars before placing the goriila glue since the stock adhesive is not reliable.

Anyhow, I'll be using X2's on the bar and helmet and I thought the stock adhesive would stick properly on my helmet since its on a hard plastic surface but it would still detach especially in the middle of the ride. I'm also wondering if there is a patch where I can tape on the surface of the helmet and then apply the gorilla glue method? I think this way it wouldn't leave a residue on my helmet?

Lastly, is there an aftermarket helmet mount for the X2 where I can utilize the rubber O-ring for quick release?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New mountain bike

I am looking at getting a mountain bike for my daughter who is a athlete 5'10" 140lb, new rider. We are looking at a hardtail 29er and would like light weight and quality, we don,t want to spend over 1700$ any suggestions?

mtbr member
    2 cell battery + XTEs and narrow optics would make a nice roadie package.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Wish I could have caught the sale on the X2, this light was my first choice. I ended up getting something else for $100 shipped that works well, I couldn't justify a bit more than twice the price for commuting purposes (trying to be more prudent with our newborn daughter in my mind). It really looks like a great light, the remote switch, different programs, and the fact that it's not made in China really set it apart. My light still being in the return period doesn't help the temptation...
    Last edited by Dwayne; 08-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    and the fact that it's not made in China really set it apart.
    Uh... it's not?

While the design and engineering may have their origins in other countries, Gloworm is using an Asian manufacturer for this light (see post 17).

mtbr member
    You might want to try the beginner forum. This thread is a "bike light" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd StLouis View Post
    I am looking at getting a mountain bike for my daughter who is a athlete 5'10" 140lb, new rider. We are looking at a hardtail 29er and would like light weight and quality, we don,t want to spend over 1700$ any suggestions?
    What did you put in that sandwich?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Uh... it's not?

While the design and engineering may have their origins in other countries, Gloworm is using an Asian manufacturer for this light (see post 17).
    Hello,

Indeed, design and engineering of the X2 and future models is undertaken by our team in Auckland/Wellington, NZ. This includes electronics, thermodynamics, mechanics etc.

Components and parts come from all around the globe, these include electronic components, batteries, optics.

Assembly is done in-house, in Asia by Gloworm Manufacturing. It is run and managed by Vaggelis (Greek) who lives there and runs his own company as well.

This means that we have 100% control of the whole process from concept to design, to manufacturing and assembly.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 08-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Uh... it's not?

Thanks for pointing that out to me! For some reason I thought it was being made in New Zealand, I didn't realize the manufacturing was being done in China.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    2 cell battery + XTEs and narrow optics would make a nice roadie package.
    Watch this space......or maybe another thread

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out to me! For some reason I thought it was being made in New Zealand, I didn't realize the manufacturing was being done in China.
    Made in China doesn't have to mean low quality if the right quality controls are in place.
    The iPhone and iPad are also made in the same area.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Gloworm Lights
    double post

mtbr member
    Hello Maximus,

Our warranty will cover this problem. For any future issues, let us know prior to 'checking' it yourself. We've sent you a PM regarding this issue.

We have improved the battery assembly for the last 5 months and glue is not anymore used.

Thanks,
    Vag
    Gloworm Manufacturing

Thanks for the quick response Vag. I PM'd you back. Since all that is needed to correct the issue is a small amount of glue, I am going to go that route.

mtbr member
    Bruce.. you said in another post that you had some new products coming out.. just wondering what they might be and when they might be available.. Im looking to get my light setup for my bike and am looking around at different configurations.. Would hate to get a setup and then have you guys come out with something new that would hit the spot
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post
    Bruce.. you said in another post that you had some new products coming out.. just wondering what they might be and when they might be available.. Im looking to get my light setup for my bike and am looking around at different configurations.. Would hate to get a setup and then have you guys come out with something new that would hit the spot
    I can't give too much away at this stage, but we will be launching a new product in the near future. It will have similar styling to the X2 and will be created using the same thoughtful design process.

If you were to buy the X2 the new product would not make redundant your new purchase, but compliment it very nicely!

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    cough cough-----Single beam 7-800lm helmet light with bit longer throw and a smaller battery pack and a universal plug for the whole system ????? .. lol... That would be sweet.. Cool.. Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with .. Also-- a Velcro strap with a stitched in rubber pad would be nice for the battery.. Im sure you have seen those-- so the rubber pad goes between the battery and frame and the Velcro strap goes around the whole thing keeping the battery really secure and the frame safe from scratching..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Will the 2-cell battery work with the X2?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by allenpg View Post
    Thanks for the info! Will the 2-cell battery work with the X2?
    Yes indeed.

Gloworm Lights
    Hey All,

Just thought we'd share 2 magazine reviews we have received for the X2. May help some make a decision, may confirm your purchase was a good one or they may just be a good read. Whatever the reason, I hope you enjoy.

NZ Bike Magazine Review

NZ Mountain Biker Magazine Review

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Will the lupine Piko QR bracket work on the X2? I think I saw this question posted before but can't seem to find it now.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    After some heat transfer problems with my first lamp the exchange arrived today. Thanks Vag and Bruce!

The new lamp is already under examination

Gloworm Lights
    After some heat transfer problems with my first lamp the exchange arrived today. Thanks Vag and Bruce!

The new lamp is already under examination
    Bahaha......great pic! We've always been told the X2 has a resemblence to Wall-E

No worries with the light....look forward to the updates.

BTW we're really happy with the new programming, hope you are too!

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    Will the lupine Piko QR bracket work on the X2? I think I saw this question posted before but can't seem to find it now.
    I caanot confirm that, however I don't think so. The tolerances within the pivot on the mount/lamp interface are very low.

This doesn't mean we cannot design one that will fit though!

b a n n e d
    I caanot confirm that, however I don't think so. The tolerances within the pivot on the mount/lamp interface are very low.

The ONE thing that is keeping me from buying one of these is the rubber band mount for the bars. I'm sure its stable, etc. but when the capability for a QR or machined mount is there, why use something that will just barely cut it. Fix that and I'm in for one for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

This is the kind of feedback that got me to purchase this system in the first place. Keep up the fantastic work. Looking forward to some new products.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The ONE thing that is keeping me from buying one of these is the rubber band mount for the bars. I'm sure its stable, etc. but when the capability for a QR or machined mount is there, why use something that will just barely cut it. Fix that and I'm in for one for sure.
    The o-ring works just fine, I have had mine out on a few rough as hell rides and it has not moved any. But I hear ya on the QR mount, it would be nice to have something super steady and give more confidence that your light is not going to fall off at all. But you should get one now and in no time they will have a QR mount for us. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Rubber O-rings don't inspire confidence. Later I found out that the O-ring system works just fine. You're right in that they aren't the easiest things to attach or remove if you don't use a tool. Once again I found the issue moot if you carry tire levers ( which will attach or remove an O-ring faster than you can say, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickle peppers". )

Just keep in mind the X2 is not going to be a super quick release lamp anyway even if you do get a cam buckle QR mount system. You still have to remove the remote and fiddle with the battery and wires. Believe me the extra 60 sec it takes to pull a tire lever out of your kit isn't going to make that much a difference. Besides I have a QR cam style clamp on my torch holder. Works great but if I take it off sometimes I have to fiddle with it to get the adjustment right. Nothing is perfect.

Don't let the O-ring system keep you from buying a great light. For most folks it works just fine.

Action LED Lights
    One other thing to consider is this light is so lightweight that it doesn't take much to hold it. Some other heavier lights like the MJ-816 that try and use this system have a little trouble staying put. One thing I always recommend if your having any trouble is put a wrap of friction tape on the bar where the light will mount.
    If you're not familiar with friction tape it's a cloth tape that is slightly tacky on both sides and is commonly used on the grips of baseball bats.(and many other things) Most hardware or sporting goods stores should have it.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi Bruce,

I am currently looking for a decent handlebar light with a balance of spill and throw for an upcoming night mtb event here in Malaysia.

I found the MJ880 which looks like it will suits my need but then i have been disappointed by MS's product in the past as its quality is not what it should have been. (No! my expectation wasnt high but i was still disappointed) Anyway before i pull the trigger on another MS product again i looked around and found your X2.

The price is within the range of my budget which is around the MJ880 range. Specifications and design looked good to me. I have read this thread here and it seems promising. Now my problem is where do i buy it here in Malaysia? I know Action LEd in USA ships here but after adding priority shipping to the total, it has exceeded my set budget (I dont trust 1st class mail for a USD200 product)

Magicshine australia ships MJ880 to here free via DHL but they dont carry your product. There is also a MS dealer here which i have not contacted yet.

Bruce do you have any distributor in Asia or Malaysia where registered or priority shipping is not expensive? If you have any reference please give some contact or quote me a price.

Thanks

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by scottam View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I am currently looking for a decent handlebar light with a balance of spill and throw for an upcoming night mtb event here in Malaysia.

I found the MJ880 which looks like it will suits my need but then i have been disappointed by MS's product in the past as its quality is not what it should have been. (No! my expectation wasnt high but i was still disappointed) Anyway before i pull the trigger on another MS product again i looked around and found your X2.

The price is within the range of my budget which is around the MJ880 range. Specifications and design looked good to me. I have read this thread here and it seems promising. Now my problem is where do i buy it here in Malaysia? I know Action LEd in USA ships here but after adding priority shipping to the total, it has exceeded my set budget (I dont trust 1st class mail for a USD200 product)

Magicshine australia ships MJ880 to here free via DHL but they dont carry your product. There is also a MS dealer here which i have not contacted yet.

Bruce do you have any distributor in Asia or Malaysia where registered or priority shipping is not expensive? If you have any reference please give some contact or quote me a price.

Thanks
    Try our international website - Gloworm Manufacturing - Gloworm Manufacturing

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Hey Bruce,
    I took the X2 ( V2 ) out for a spin on the helmet. My first impression; Not what I want for the helmet. Don't get me wrong, I love the light on the bars but the beam pattern for the helmet is too wide to suit my tastes.

On the up side if you can live with a good 150 ft. of wide throw on the helmet you'll have no complaints. Adding to that when helmet mounted you almost don't need a bar mounted light. An X2 on the helmet would make a great one lamp system if you are into that kind of thing.

With the X2 ( V2 ) on the helmet and the V1 on the bars I had no problems seeing anything into the 150 ft. range. The V2 will reach farther but doesn't give as much detail as a true thrower. Anyway, you'll hear no complaints from me. I love the V2 on the bars and that's where it will stay.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Cat-man-do;9720396]

Adding to that when helmet mounted you almost don't need a bar mounted light. An X2 on the helmet would make a great one lamp system if you are into that kind of thing.

I've noticed that too. As a helmet light, some times I run a spot/thrower and other times a more powerfull flood, but when using the flood I always run my bar light at a lower setting.
    Mole

mountain biker
    Cat or Mole... have either or you seen or tried the Jetlites X-51? Though not quite as small and light as these units, it seems that with their reflector design that light would be able to throw a spot farther and more focused than these lights with optics.

As you might be aware, I'm looking for a super-spot to replace my Xera. At first I thought the gloworm would be the light to do it, but it seems to not be the case. Now it seems that the Gloworm team is developing something to "complement" the X2. I'm wondering if it's a single XML with a well thought out reflector instead of optics. And that got me thinking about the Jetlites x-51. So... has anyone tried one? and Gloworm, are you in fact working on a "super-spot" to complement your "perfect bar light"?!?!

I know I'm hijacking this thread a little, but maybe it's for the best?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Bruce,
    I took the X2 ( V2 ) out for a spin on the helmet. My first impression; Not what I want for the helmet. Don't get me wrong, I love the light on the bars but the beam pattern for the helmet is too wide to suit my tastes.

On the up side if you can live with a good 150 ft. of wide throw on the helmet you'll have no complaints. Adding to that when helmet mounted you almost don't need a bar mounted light. An X2 on the helmet would make a great one lamp system if you are into that kind of thing.

With the X2 ( V2 ) on the helmet and the V1 on the bars I had no problems seeing anything into the 150 ft. range. The V2 will reach farther but doesn't give as much detail as a true thrower. Anyway, you'll hear no complaints from me. I love the V2 on the bars and that's where it will stay.

Hey Cat,
    Did you have spot lenses in both LED'S? I really like the low profile, lightweight, and helmet mount for this light. I run 2 spots and find it to be a good thrower, but I do find myself always wanting more throw. I just don't care for a larger, heavier lighthead on my helmet as they tend to bother by neck. What light do you prefer for your helmet and find as a good thrower?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Hey Cat,
    Did you have spot lenses in both LED'S? I really like the low profile, lightweight, and helmet mount for this light. I run 2 spots and find it to be a good thrower, but I do find myself always wanting more throw. I just don't care for a larger, heavier lighthead on my helmet as they tend to bother by neck. What light do you prefer for your helmet and find as a good thrower?
    Yes, my X2 has a double spot optic. Most of the time I use an Ultrafire 501B torch with 3-mode XM-L T6 drop-in on the helmet. It is a very light set up and installs in seconds. It has about the same range as the X2 but half the output.

Torches work great in warm weather but once the temps get colder they tend not to work as well. Batteries don't like cold weather and torches only use one cell at a time. (* not to mention the battery in a torch is encased in an aluminum tube which cools very quickly ) A dedicated bike light on the other hand uses an external battery generally with multiple cells, the more cells the longer the run time. The more cells the better the battery is at handling temperature induced voltage sag.

When Fall comes I switch over to a dedicated bike light so I get a brighter more sustained output. In answer to your question I can only say it's a still a toss up. At the moment I'm favoring the Xeccon S-12 because it has superior long throw. It is not the lightest of light heads though but fortunately the weight while noticeable is not a deal breaker. The X2 on the other hand is so light that I can hardly notice it on the helmet.

slyfink, No, I've never tried the Jetlites X-51. Judging from beam shots of earlier versions I was not impressed. Perhaps the newer stuff is better but I couldn't tell you without at least seeing a beam shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne480 View Post
    .....Also interested in seeing the battery . . . is this going to be a feasible helmet light with the battery mounted on the helmet?
    What light system are you referring to? If you were trying to post photo links they didn't come through.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm running the x2 as my only light on my helmet. Are most doing this running two spot optics? I need to swap in a second spot and see the impact. So far I'm happy with the light as a one light solution. Its early in my life with a glowworm, my only issue so far has been the poor adhesive on the button back...but that is pretty minor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    any news on the new products? love my X2, been running it on my lid, but would love to move it to my bars and have something to accompany it

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by M6TTF View Post
    any news on the new products? love my X2, been running it on my lid, but would love to move it to my bars and have something to accompany it
    Hello,

You will be very soon have some news from us. Our new product is currently developed and it will make a very good pair with the X2.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    A couple of friends are looking for a light - I'm going to suggest they look at the X2. Are there any season opener sales coming up soon I can tell them about? THX!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTEHello,

You will be very soon have some news from us. Our new product is currently developed and it will make a very good pair with the X2.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    ][/QUOTE]

Sounds great Bruce. Is your NZ website the best one to order through if ordering from Australia?? Any idea when the new light is out? I have a Dusk till Dawn race at the end of November and want a new bar and helmet combo.

Cheers

Tim

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on what kind of battery life they've been getting from the X2?

Mine seems to last way longer than the claimed runtimes. I haven't yet managed to actually use up all the juice, but on my usual two hour rides the gauge only drops to 80%.

Gloworm Lights
    Hello guys,

@gticlay: We do not plan an offer. If you are in USA though Action Led Lights sells it with reduced shipping for local buyers.

@Tim73: We have a distributor in Australia: Bicycle Peddler. I am sure you can find a local shop holding the X2 once you give them a call. In any case drop us a pm if you find any difficulty and we'll help.

@micah356: It is normal that you get higher than expected lifetime. Gloworm battery uses 2900 mAh Panasonic batteries while the usual cell used by other manufacturers is 2600 mAh or 2200 mAh cells. That difference of 300mAh (600 in the 4 cell pack) gives you some extra juice that you should not have been used to with other lights .

With the current battery your X2 should be holding 2.5 hours in 1200 Lumens.
    Here note that we tent to be conservative with our numbers rather than exaggerate them. That rule applies both when it comes to lumen and to battery life.

Cheers,
    Vag and Bruce

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there any news on the possibility of a quick release for the X2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @Tim73: We have a distributor in Australia: Bicycle Peddler. I am sure you can find a local shop holding the X2 once you give them a call. In any case drop us a pm if you find any difficulty and we'll help.
    Thanks Bruce I picked one up from a local store yesterday, do you have a time frame on the "spot" light you have coming? My 12 hour is in about 6 weeks and I would prefer to stay with the one brand, if it is not released I can probably borrow a light from a mate so no big deal.

Tim

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by tim73 View Post
    Thanks Bruce I picked one up from a local store yesterday, do you have a time frame on the "spot" light you have coming? My 12 hour is in about 6 weeks and I would prefer to stay with the one brand, if it is not released I can probably borrow a light from a mate so no big deal.

Tim
    Hi Tim,

The X1 will be released before the end of the year, but probably not before 6 weeks.

@Ozzy43 - The QR mount has been designed..............keep an eye out

We just got some new photos done for the X2.......some really cool shots.

Cheers all

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Hi Tim,

The X1 will be released before the end of the year, but probably not before 6 weeks.

Cheers all

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Details?...sneak peak photo?...

Is this designed to be a thrower/helmet light?

Gloworm Lights
    Details?...sneak peak photo?...

Is this designed to be a thrower/helmet light?
    Hello,

You can find a sneak peak photo on our facebook page back from 21st of August. We have been testing for a while. It does not reveal much indeed but i think that soon you will get some more in an official X1 post here

Is it designed to be a helmet-thrower lights?

Yes it is. You will have the option of a clear-spot optic and a frosted-flood optic. On Fb you can see the frosted one.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 10-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ooh that looks and sounds just the ticket! May well be an Xmas pressie to myself

mtbr member
    Hello,

You can find a sneak peak photo on our facebook page back from 21st of August. We have been testing for a while. It does not reveal much indeed but i think that soon you will get some more in an official X1 post here

Is it designed to be a helmet-thrower lights?

Yes it is. You will have the option of a clear-spot optic and a frosted-flood optic.
    On Fb you can see the frosted one.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Okay, not much of a preview on Facebook. So is this a single emitter XM-L or ( other ) lamp or some sort of mult-led configuration?

PLEASE SIR.....

WE'D LIKE SOME MORE INFO. IF YOU PLEASE.

Gloworm Lights
    Okay, not much of a preview on Facebook. So is this a single emitter XM-L or ( other ) lamp or some sort of mult-led configuration?

PLEASE SIR.....

WE'D LIKE SOME MORE INFO. IF YOU PLEASE.
    Hey Cat,

Keep an eye out next week. All will be revealed

All we can say, is what has already been said. Helmet light, small, bright, single emmitter.....

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just tried my X2 out last night. Wow, very very bright! I had to run it on low / med.

My only other light is a Lumina 650. Would it be better to run the 650 on the bars and the X2 on the helmet? Or the other way around?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur View Post
    Just tried my X2 out last night. Wow, very very bright! I had to run it on low / med.

My only other light is a Lumina 650. Would it be better to run the 650 on the bars and the X2 on the helmet? Or the other way around?
    Probably more convenient to have the standalone Lumina on the helmet and the X2 on the bars (running flood).

mountain biker
    Hey guys,

what's up with your website? I can't get on glowormlites.com or glowormlites.co.nz... also, is actionLED not selling your products anymore? They're not up on their website. Maybe out of stock?

and a technical question: can the light be run without the remote? I personally don't like having wires all over the place, and don't think I would find having a remote worth the extra clutter on my bars...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    ....and a technical question: can the light be run without the remote? I personally don't like having wires all over the place, and don't think I would find having a remote worth the extra clutter on my bars...
    There is no non-remote option. There is a big time advantage to the remote. First it gives you more options for mounting. I mount mine down on the bars so it is almost parallel with the bars. Without the remote you wouldn't have that option because you wouldn't be able to get to the switch. Adding to that with the remote you don't accidentally knock the lamp out of adjustment by changing modes. The button on the remote is very small, only about 17mm x 17mm square and takes up little space. They give you little bits of Velcro to aid in mounting it to the bars. I mount the button just to the outside of the handlebar grip just about an inch above my thumb shifter. I use another small piece of Velcro about halfway on the MTB bars to keep the wire in place ( so it doesn't tap and make noise ). On my road set-up I don't have to do that because the bar is shorter and the wire just slips under the brake/shifter pod and stays out of sight.

Both of my set-ups look very clean. All of my brake and shifter cables are black so unless you've got really good eye sight the extra wire just fades into the mix. In the mean time you never have to take your hands off the bar to fiddle with the light modes which is a big, big plus. Something else that no one else mentioned before: You can also set the light head up if you're a lefty. Simply turn the lamp upside down and mount the single strut mount to the right of the stem. The only down side to a remote set-up as I see it is that it takes a little longer to set up but once you figure that out it basically is just a one time issue.

If you really don't want a remote than the Gemini Duo looks like the next best thing.

mtbr member
    deleted

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Hey guys,

what's up with your website? I can't get on glowormlites.com or glowormlites.co.nz... also, is actionLED not selling your products anymore? They're not up on their website. Maybe out of stock? .
    Hey,

Both sites are up and running. Not sure about Action LED Lights.......must check with Jim.

If you continue to have troubles, let me know....also try Amazon, there is def some stock in the US.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Cat,

Keep an eye out next week. All will be revealed

All we can say, is what has already been said. Helmet light, small, bright, single emmitter.....

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Any news?

May the Force be with you
    I have this light , Great bright and throws a great wide beam,

mtbr member
    Just got an X2 from Action LED. Was extremely impressed by the customer service, thanks Jim! I haven't been able to test it on the trail yet but it sure lit up my back yard. All of it. Nice job.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I wrote a nice long review a minute ago, the moment i hit quick reply the browser says it could not load and when i hit back its all gone.

I am writing again but this time its short.

I got the X2 2 weeks ago directly from Gloworm international website and managed to ride last night after i received the missing extension cable from Vag. Lets just say I m glad that i bought the X2 instead of mj880

We rode under heavy rain last night, it started to pour down heavily after we rode for an hour and with all those water pouring on the light, I had no problem at all.

The o-ring mount was very good for me as its simple and easy to mount and release from the handlebar. It will be a shame if this is changed. One thing i would like though is the battery level indicator to be place behind the light instead of on the battery because i keep the battery in my saddle bag.

Thanks to Vag for his quick response and top notch customer service, anyone thinking of buying the light please go ahead, you cant go wrong with this.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've had this light for a couple of weeks now, I would recommend without hesitation.
    Bought through Gloworm international website, customer service was excellent.

My goal was enough flood and throw to use as a helmet light, without bar lights, use and forget, it met my expectations.

Riding off road, technical and fast trails, usually wet and rainy, visibility was excellent. The remote switch on the helmet is excellent for climb/descend mode.

Also use for commuting on low, feel nice and safe!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been searching some time for nice bike lights. Already it's getting earlier dark and when the wintertime kicks in, I just need some good lights for training at night. Not only so I'm able to see where I'm going, but also that other road users are able to see me going.

First I went through Magicshines 808E, 816E, 872 and 880. Pretty good stuff but then I saw the light: there are more manufacturers

So I've read the 36 pages (881 messages) on the Gloworm X2 (v1.0 and 2.0), the 5 pages about the Gemini Duo and like a dozen user reviews. I actually learned a lot by reading all that stuff.

Conclusion? The X2 sounds pretty much exactly like what I've been searching for. Compact design, pretty light weight, water proof, a good mount, nice beam pattern, remote controlled and a affordable price. Big plus are the smart light programs and the quality feedback from Bruce and Vag.

Good! But where should I get it? I live in the Netherlands.
    Regular options are Glowormlites.com (NZ), Action LED lights (US) and CRG (UK). By ordering in the UK I probably should pay VAT but no other duties. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention: Fooh Designs is the EU distributor. Sent them an e-mail.

Slovakia (Europe)
    If you found good EU source, please post your findings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If you found good EU source, please post your findings.
    No problem, will do.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm in Ireland, bought through Gloworm International website
    www glowormlites dot com
    Googles as Gloworm Manuacturing

mtbr member
    Hey Bruce,

I have used my V1 and V2 enough to figure out what I do and don't like about them. I wanted to see what others thought or experienced.

I agree with what Cat-man-do posted up with his observations (aside from the 150ft). For me the usable distance seems shorter. I run the V2 on the helmet at it is much brighter and tends to drown out my V1 on the bars. Is it really that much better or is that something that the optics help out with. I'm just using default factory setups on both. I that I have plenty of light for the most part but would enjoy more throw especially when I start rolling faster.

Has anyone run the V1 and V2 on the bars with a Y cable? I'm thinking about that and putting my single XML thrower on my head.

thanks for any comments / feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    ....Has anyone run the V1 and V2 on the bars with a Y cable? I'm thinking about that and putting my single XML thrower on my head.

thanks for any comments / feedback.
    I've thought about doing that as well but the X2 doesn't have any led mode indicators. With one lamp going it's not an issue but if you run two on the bars if would be hard to remember "what lamp" is in "what mode"
    If you did decide to run two on the bars ( with Y-cable ) you will need a very good battery to handle the load. A six or eight cell 18650 or 4 ( or 6 ) cell 26650 set-up would be mandatory if you want any kind of decent run time.

FWIW, Xeccon X-12 on the helmet and Gloworm X2 on the bars is a sweet combo set-up. The X-12 will give you that little extra "Umph" for throw.

I should also note that Gloworm is coming out with a "thrower" lamp. Should know more details by sometime this week or next.

Gloworm Lights
    Hey,

You're quite right, we have a distributor in the Netherlands - Fooh.eu....his name is Jaap. We all have distribution in the UK through crgmoto.co.UK, Danny can sort you out with an X2 and any spares.

Cheers

Bruce and vag

mtbr member
    I have both the Gloworm X2 version 1 and version 2 and the Version 2 beam is a great improvement. The throw and overall pattern is really good on the version 2. My version 1 which has a more floody beam even with two spot optics, but it is very smooth throughout the beam pattern. I ended up not using my version 1 on the bike at all, I use it strictly mounted to the headband and use it for trail running, hiking, walking the dog, etc. It is very effective at this because of the flood characteristics and smoothness in the beam. When running you don't get a bobbing hotspot bouncing around, you just get a ton of flood that still has decent reach. It sure beats pants off the other runner's lights I see out there at night. They usually have these weak spotty type headlights that are very blue in color.

So I am glad I bought both a version 1 and 2 of the Gloworm X2 light. On my bike I use the Gloworm X2 version 2 on the helmet and am still very happy with my Lupine Betty bar light which is the 1,750 lumen 22 degree version. They work really nice together.

Gloworm Lights
    Hey All,

We are about to make an announcement on the X1 (1 x XML LED/2 Cell Battery), but can tell you we have finally confirmed an optic that out throws the X2 (and other lights in the same class as the X1), but this is only the start! We are also working on a reflector

Finally we are developing and testing super spot optics for the X2 - the expectation is the new optic will really maximise the throw capabilities of the X2.

Regards

Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great news - cant wait to see the X1. That, combined with my X2 should be all the light I need

mtbr member
    We are about to make an announcement on the X1 (1 x XML LED/2 Cell Battery),
    Compatible with 4 cell?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Compatible with 4 cell?
    Yes, it will be compatible with the current 4 cell and other 7.4v batteries.

mtbr member
    It looks like Action LED doesn't have the Gloworm anymore...

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    It looks like Action LED doesn't have the Gloworm anymore...
    We do still have it but have moved it to our Amazon store front. (don't ask )
    The accessories will follow soon.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Hey All,

We are about to make an announcement on the X1 (1 x XML LED/2 Cell Battery), but can tell you we have finally confirmed an optic that out throws the X2 (and other lights in the same class as the X1), but this is only the start! We are also working on a reflector

Finally we are developing and testing super spot optics for the X2 - the expectation is the new optic will really maximise the throw capabilities of the X2.

Regards

Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!.....

Are they playing the new song....TIR.... ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey All,

Regards

Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Bruce, will the new spot optic and reflector be compatible with the existing X2 hardware?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Bruce, will the new spot optic and reflector be compatible with the existing X2 hardware?
    Hey

Yes the new X2 optic will fit the current hardware....it'll slot right in there!

As for the reflector, this is a project and may not even come to fruition but we will see what we can do

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have two X2's and use one on the helmet (with 2 spot optics) and the bar has one spot and one flood. The one on the bar doesn't seem very bright compared to the helmet with the 2 spots. So I am thinking about getting another spot optic and run 2 spots on the bar. Anyone doing this?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast