Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Maybe i missed it in the thread, how well is the beam pattern for commuting? The majority of my riding is in the evenings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The only way to monitor battery life would be using your specific battery right? I mean, no led in the switch indicating any battery levels? I'm asking since i'll be using my own batteries I have lying around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is the standard configuration one flood and one spot?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Waterproof? I think so!

Hi Everyone,

I do hope everyone had a great Xmas and a happy and safe NY!

I thought I'd give you all a wee treat and show you just how waterproof the X2 really is!

Also (@Leethal) the standard light config is spot/flood - when ordering you can order either another spot or flood lens, complimentary

For commuting, I personally like the flood/flood setup at lower power. Still great throw for the road but also good flood thus allowing greater visibility of you and for you.

@Matchpoint - Yes the only battery inidcation built into this light is on the battery itself.

So here we go - underwater photos................

Thanks

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post

....@Matchpoint - Yes the only battery indication built into this light is on the battery itself.

So here we go - underwater photos................

Thanks

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Hummm...guess that one got by me. I didn't know there were no on-board battery indicators. My other remote light has the indicators on the remote. Not a deal breaker as I see it since I really don't like voltage monitors per say anyway. Once the temperatures begin to drop they never really seem to work right anyway. Still, most people seem to want them. So far in all the discussions about the X2, this is the only negative I've seen so far. For the die-hards that insist on voltage feedback you can always order with the battery or purchase another battery that includes a built in voltage led feedback array. Personally I should be fine without it.

This does preclude another related question though.. Does the X2 have a flash or strobe warning when the voltage is very low? If so is this circuitry in the battery or in the light head?

Now about the underwater test: How long did you run the light underwater?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hummm...guess that one got by me. I didn't know there were no on-board battery indicators. My other remote light has the indicators on the remote. Not a deal breaker as I see it since I really don't like voltage monitors per say anyway. Once the temperatures begin to drop they never really seem to work right anyway. Still, most people seem to want them. So far in all the discussions about the X2, this is the only negative I've seen so far. For the die-hards that insist on voltage feedback you can always order with the battery or purchase another battery that includes a built in voltage led feedback array. Personally I should be fine without it.

This does preclude another related question though.. Does the X2 have a flash or strobe warning when the voltage is very low? If so is this circuitry in the battery or in the light head?

Now about the underwater test: How long did you run the light underwater?
    Thanks for the comments Cat-man-do..........

We had considered an indicator on the lamphead however when worn on the helmet this is as good as an inidcator on the battery sitting in your bag - you can't see it, so it has no real function. When in use on the bar, our battery with the indicator should be visible.

The light is made to be used with our batteries and therefore as a set it does have voltage monitoring capability. However as an additional fail safe the light will tell you when it is getting low on battery power (voltage). It will flash briefly (high low high low - but not off) then it will begin dimming itself by dropping current. Based on the light runnning at max current it would take about 3min until the light turns itself off.

Now a real life situtation dictates that if you are still 30min from your car and your light flashed, you'd switch your light to 'dim' mode to maintain light for the maximum amount of time. This programming is contained in the light itself and theoretically will work with other brand batteries.

As for the 'waterproof' test - it was left there for an hour. No water ingress. Next test will be at a depth no more than 1m. After all, it's a cycling light - not a diving light

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    .... However as an additional fail safe the light will tell you when it is getting low on battery power (voltage). It will flash briefly (high low high low - but not off) then it will begin dimming itself by dropping current. Based on the light runnning at max current it would take about 3min until the light turns itself off.

Now a real life situtation dictates that if you are still 30min from your car and your light flashed, you'd switch your light to 'dim' mode to maintain light for the maximum amount of time. This programming is contained in the light itself and theoretically will work with other brand batteries.

As for the [B]'waterproof' test - it was left there for an hour[B]. No water ingress. Next test will be at a depth no more than 1m. After all, it's a cycling light - not a diving light

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Excellent! Yes indeed, a flash warning is a "Must Have" feature. Way more important that the stupid led monitors in my book. As you said, once you get the flash you ( manually ) drop to a lower light level and start back or get your back-up ready.

Double thumbs-up on the water immersion test! One hour is good enough for me. ( Actually I would of been fine with just 15 minutes )...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nicely done.

Would it be possible to get the toggle swtich and battery submerssion test? IME water ingress that has caused my systems to fail in the past have stemmed from either one or both of these areas. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bruce @ Glowworm for doing this test and giving info on the low battery. Also thanks to cat and others for coming up with great questions that are important. Not having a battery indicator on the lighthead is not an issue for me. I hope this proves to be as perfect a helmet light as it sounds to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That's good to hear. As long as there is some warning of low voltage I'm good with that. Just don't want the lights to suddenly switch off when I'm speeding downhill in dark So the mount is my only issue left.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are presale orders still on schedule to ship by Jan 20th?

mtbr member
    I'd love to order one, but I have a few questions....what does this look like on the headstrap mount?? How is the remote switch positioned?? I'd be switching from bar mounts to a headstrap several times a week. I'm in Alaska and skijor with my husky or my fatbike on the trails....and it's always dark and cold this time of year. Additionally, the website crashes when I choose the headstrap option...can I PM my info??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd like to preorder but an important question.

NZ GST is 15% and by NZ law the advertised price of goods and services include GST. Its not clear on your page (changing the currency on the gloworm website does not result in removing the GST), when someone pre-orders from overseas do we get the GST back as required by law? Foreign orders don't pay GST and you cannot pocket GST as profit.

E-commerce and GST (E-commerce and tax)

goods are sold over the internet and physically supplied to customers overseas the sales can be zero-rated for GST purposes.
    Last edited by syadasti; 01-04-2012 at 09:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    I'd like to preorder but an important question.

NZ GST is 15% and by NZ law the advertised price of goods and services include GST. Its not clear on your page (changing the currency on the gloworm website does not result in removing the GST), when someone pre-orders from overseas do we get the GST back as required by law? Foreign orders don't pay GST and you cannot pocket GST as profit.

E-commerce and GST (E-commerce and tax)
    Well, that's easy. 15% "foreign order handling charge". Done
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I've ordered direct from HIDTech (AU) and Adventure Lighting Products (NZ). Their prices by law show the price with GST. When your order they remove the GST but shipping charges cost more than national shipments. $25 shipping for the gloworm sounds fair.

It could just be a website legal error, its a new venture. Right now going from one currency to the other on the website results in a direct conversion rather than with or without GST.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    I've ordered direct from HIDTech (AU) and Adventure Lighting Products (NZ). Their prices by law show the price with GST. When your order they remove the GST but shipping charges cost more than national shipments. $25 shipping for the gloworm sounds fair.

It could just be a website legal error, its a new venture. Right now going from one currency to the other on the website results in a direct conversion rather than with or without GST.
    Ok, ok, ok... when you live in NZ, it's "GST", whe you order from outside of NZ, it's simply "General Shipping Tack-on".
    "It looks flexy"

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I love your sense of humour!

Here is the deal about NZD, GST etc.

1. The website is based in NZD, and the curreny selectors function is to do a direct conversion. Tax is determined by country of residence based on delivery address. This alone will remove tax from the order. You will notice when the order is processed and the summary of costs comes up there is no tax indicated if your delivery address is outside NZ. If your delivery address was in NZ then it would show tax at 15% - I have just tested this.

2. The X2 is a product of Microchina (TA Gloworm Manufacturing) and as such will be shipped direct from Hong Kong during the presale phase and for a few weeks thereafter. As a result no GST/TAX will be included in any X2 transaction. Once international distributors have been commissioned the price of the X2 will be fixed and will include any local taxes (if any). Future retail prices are as follows NZD$249, USD$199, AUD$195, GBP129.

3. Post presale, we will also commission a Gloworm Manufacturing website.

4. If you happen to buy other products from the current site you will not be charged Tax.

I hope that clears up a few things.

By the way, we are still on track to ship on 20th January

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @ Vag or Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Nicely done.

Would it be possible to get the toggle swtich and battery submerssion test? IME water ingress that has caused my systems to fail in the past have stemmed from either one or both of these areas. Cheers.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    @ Vag or Bruce
    Hey,

Sorry missed that one Chromagftw.

We will get those done for you soon. I do however have the same confidence in those parts.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

night riding enthusiast
    Crikey now what do I do? I've been looking at designshine's (pethelman) #2 build of the DS-1300 with interest over the last six weeks or so and have watched his "does it blend" water submersion test with a wry smile. I had practically set my mind on buying two. But now I see just how well the X2 is coming along I have to wonder. Plus, when I consider the price differential and the fact that a wired remote comes as standard and the necessity of new 6 cell batteries to get the most from the light (due to the treble LED in series design) I'm starting to wonder if a couple of X2s is all I'd need... As a commuter, primarily, I see the only disadvantage with the X2 cf the DS-1300 (or indeed almost any light compared with designshine DS-1300) is the side-on illumination.

Moreover, there hasn't been nearly as much activity on the designshine thread as this one... I don't think he's set the final price yet. I bird in the hand, and all...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    Crikey now what do I do? I've been looking at designshine's (pethelman) #2 build of the DS-1300 with interest over the last six weeks or so and have watched his "does it blend" water submersion test with a wry smile. I had practically set my mind on buying two. But now I see just how well the X2 is coming along I have to wonder. Plus, when I consider the price differential and the fact that a wired remote comes as standard and the necessity of new 6 cell batteries to get the most from the light (due to the treble LED in series design) I'm starting to wonder if a couple of X2s is all I'd need... As a commuter, primarily, I see the only disadvantage with the X2 cf the DS-1300 (or indeed almost any light compared with designshine DS-1300) is the side-on illumination.

Moreover, there hasn't been nearly as much activity on the designshine thread as this one... I don't think he's set the final price yet. I bird in the hand, and all...
    not to dig the gloworm in any way (it looks like a really cool light), but you shouldn't underestimate the importance of side visibility in a bar mounted commuter light. I had to switch my commuter light from the bar to my helmet as I was getting a lot of problems at junctions. Now I just wave my helmet light back and forth across their screen and they usually stop. A DS1300 on the bar and one of these on the helmet with spot/spot reflectors would be an awesome combination..

night riding enthusiast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    not to dig the gloworm in any way (it looks like a really cool light), but you shouldn't underestimate the importance of side visibility in a bar mounted commuter light. I had to switch my commuter light from the bar to my helmet as I was getting a lot of problems at junctions. Now I just wave my helmet light back and forth across their screen and they usually stop. A DS1300 on the bar and one of these on the helmet with spot/spot reflectors would be an awesome combination..
    exactly re. side visibility. Hence, even though I could almost get three of these (flood^2 on the bar, spot^2 on the lid, one spare) for less than the price of a Designshine DS-1300 with optional remote and a specific 3 cell battery and charger. I'm still dithering. I just wish he'd gone with a simpler twin XM-L... Less forward-voltage so more efficient driver-wise, less components to go wrong etc... I know that he wants to differentiate his effort from the "pack" but the DS-1300 can't run at full power from a standard 2S2P battery pack (of which I can easily get 4 for $100) without any risk of over-stressing the driver board, apparently, and I have to knock it down to 900lm to be safe which kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing a bright light in the first place.

And now i've seen their 1hr water test (admittedly not on a sold model) it's made me all the more confident of their initial design.

egads... Choice eh? Isn't it great.

night riding enthusiast
    @Gloworm:

I see you have flood lenses but any chance of an elliptical lens? I'd like an elliptical lens for commuter use and safety.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Cheap solution for side visibility:

Bicycle wheel lights take 2 - YouTube

DIY Bike Wheel Lights, Pt. II | Stray Cat Bicycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    @syadasti

What do they look like parked at a major junction for just over three minutes before the traffic lights change back to green in your favour?
    LED Xmas lights I assume, I've never used them.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast