Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1198
    Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    I tend to run the standard Spot/Flood set up off road as it lights up the the ground in front of the wheel as well as offering good throw.

On the road I swap out the flood optic to run Spot/Spot. The tighter beam doesn't dazzling oncoming traffic so much plus the slightly increased throw works well at higher road speeds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is a great tip. That will make it much easier .Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Took my X2 out last night and loved it! I didn't have any issues with the default spot/flood optics, I don't think I'll be going the spot/spot route like other's have done. My only issue is with the velcro as other people have mentioned. A couple of zipties remedied that problem and I'm good to go. I've got a Giro Venti and mounted it just above the visor, with the battery in my bag.

mtbr member
    i am confused as to what you are trying to say. are you saying having flood/spot combo is better? or are you saying flood/spot combo beam pattern is too narrow for your liking and you do not like it?

also what optics does the X2 come with by default? spot or flood? reason im asking is for me to find out if i need to switch the optics out or am i good as it is.
    I guess your question has been answered. The default is flood/spot. It's hard to satisfy everyone's needs/wants with one light/setup, so try it out. Off course what you prefer also depends on where you ride, conditions and your riding style and speed. I prefer the extra flood I get with the default setup when riding trails. On the road I don't seem to benefit that much from running 2 spot lenses.

Someone mentioned again the issues with the default velcro. Check out REI for a velcro with buckle that will resolve the issues with the default velcro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I too would like to know how to get the updated velcro strap.

swag ho Administrator
    Hello. 'Bush' mode is here!!!!

Gloworm X2 – 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

Sweet light. Please check it out and comment/like the review. We'll take it to a lab this Friday.

fc

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow - you obviously didn't mess about in the lab. That was quick.

Great result at 1148 lumens

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The X2 got another great review in the latest issue of International Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Will the gloworm x2 get the new XML U3? Are the gloworm lights upgradable like the lupine light bodies?

mtbr member
    Just touching base here - i sent a PM to the guys at Gloworm about an oops with my light and making sure they saw it.

I dropped the battery while trying to unplug it and when that happened it pulled the cable out a bit and i think it broke a connection and now it won't fire up

Thanks,
    Ed

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    Just touching base here - i sent a PM to the guys at Gloworm about an oops with my light and making sure they saw it.

I dropped the battery while trying to unplug it and when that happened it pulled the cable out a bit and i think it broke a connection and now it won't fire up

Thanks,
    Ed
    Hey Ed, sorry for the slightly delayed response. Getting prepped for Xmas here in NZ and Vag is getting those X1 orders on the way.

I have sent you a PM, but in short this was a small inefficiency that was brought to our attention about 6 months ago and has since been rectified.

Cheers and merry xmas

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    The X1 / X2 QR mounts have now arrived here in the UK - they look sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crgmoto View Post
    The X1 / X2 QR mounts have now arrived here in the UK - they look sweet.
    How about some pics?

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    How about some pics?
    I tried to post some but my post count was too low so I wasn't able to. I'll try again now.

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Gloworm QR mounts - they are lovely little CNC creations (the rubber shim is to fit standard bars)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

X2 ride impressions

Have done a few rides now with the X2 as a helmet light and am very happy with it overall.
    Good things: The light spread is a big rectangle/ trapezoid shape and easily covers track widths and depth for distance at moderate speeds.
    Battery life: It doesn't get dark here until 8.45pm at the moment so the portions of my ride in enough darkness to use a light are limited to the last 30 minutes (6-8km's). After this usage, on the 900/1200 lumen modes, the battery still shows 100%.
    Remote switch and modes: A good selection of options and not going off in-between all modes I prefer. Perceived difference between 900/1200L modes as said before isn't really that much and as I feel this light is set up for flood rather than throw so using the extra 300 lumens doesn't give you any more useable beam distance. I will try spot/spot in future.
    Things that are a little bit of a hassle: Helmet mount. I have spent hours with this trying to get it to fit with different straps and the original velcro one supplied which isn't that great. Given up with the straps I had so are using 3 zip ties to secure (2 across and 1 from the front to stop it bouncing/moving) then cut them off for my day rides without a light. Contacted Bruce about spot lens accidently left out in my initial order, and he suggested a foam block in-between for helmets with complicated vane shapes to help with attaching which sounds like a good idea. He also said he would send me one of the new D ring straps with the missing spot lens too so good customer service there.
    Beam spread: Was a plus up above and still is but for me I find when mounted as a helmet light the distance isn't quite there for going really quickly unless I angle the unit to get maximum range and that creates a dark spot in front of the bike which I fill with a supplementary bar mounted PD32UE (use 400L mode). I personally prefer running two lights anyway just in case 1 dies at the worst possible moment and it also helps with getting rid of shadow effects. This isn't really a criticism but just saying I can't quite ride with confidence at my normal maximum day speeds in some sections of the forest I ride with just this unit alone. I'm 6.1 tall and could just be the height above the ground when helmet mounted etc.
    Ideally an X2 bar mounted and X1 helmet mounted would be the absolute business for spill and throw probably!!

Another thing I would suggest too and this is a criticism of most bike lights I've seen is that most manufacturers use LED's on the cool white end of the spectrum which makes sense as they give the most lumens per amp and lights are sold / promoted on output. But comparing the beam tint on my PD32UE which is a neutral white XML-T6, the colour rendition and ground detail you can see with the neutral LED is way way better than the cooler LED's are giving. Now the emitters are getting more and more powerful how about someone running neutral LEDs? I realise they will only be about 90% of the lumen output compared too similar cool whites but 90% of 1200L at neutral white would be plenty in this example and quality of light is much better for mountain biking with the varying colours and trail conditions.

So ultimately overall very happy with the Gloworm X2 and recommended, especially for what it does cost wise compared to competitors. As a package with an X1 should be unbeatable value for money as a dual light x-country set up.
    Last edited by snala; 01-03-2013 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crgmoto View Post
    Gloworm QR mounts - they are lovely little CNC creations (the rubber shim is to fit standard bars)

Thanks for taking the time to put up the pics, that is really nice looking. Can't wait to get mine. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snala View Post
    Contacted Bruce about spot lens accidently left out in my initial order
    Did you order a separate spot optic or is the complete kit supposed to come with one? The reason I ask is because on the Gloworm site the light-head only kit lists a spare spot optic, however when I got both of my X2 kits there was no extra spot optic included.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Did you order a separate spot optic or is the complete kit supposed to come with one? The reason I ask is because on the Gloworm site the light-head only kit lists a spare spot optic, however when I got both of my X2 kits there was no extra spot optic included.
    Thanks.
    I just bought off their NZ website, because I live here, added the spot lens at the same time as the X2 as an extra as it was not listed in the "what's included".
    glowormlites.co.nz/products?product_id=24315]Gloworm]Gloworm]Gloworm Performance Products - Gloworm X2 LED Light System V2.0 (1200 Lumen)[/url] Performance Products - Gloworm X2 LED Light System V2.0 (1200 Lumen)[/url] Performance Products - Gloworm X2 LED Light System V2.0 (1200 Lumen)

It definitely wasn't in the kit when I got it so I've emailed and spoken to Bruce about it. Based on my experience so far, I will probably end up trying it when it turns up too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    noticed the X2 graphics are different on some shots. Mine just has an X2 on it, not Gloworm X2? just a different batch?

mtbr member
    To everyone using the X2 as a helmet light, are you using the 2-cell or 4-cell battery? I'm looking specifically for a helmet light for commuting, and it's down to the X1 and X2. The issue for me is whether the X1 has a wide enough flood to see the road in front of me. The X2 beam shots look wider than the X1, but I'm worried the combination of the X2 light head and 4-cell battery will be too big a weight on my head? Alternatively, would the 2-cell battery be robust enough to power the X2? And given my needs, do you think the X2 would be worth the extra $50?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
    To everyone using the X2 as a helmet light, are you using the 2-cell or 4-cell battery? I'm looking specifically for a helmet light for commuting, and it's down to the X1 and X2. The issue for me is whether the X1 has a wide enough flood to see the road in front of me. The X2 beam shots look wider than the X1, but I'm worried the combination of the X2 light head and 4-cell battery will be too big a weight on my head? Alternatively, would the 2-cell battery be robust enough to power the X2? And given my needs, do you think the X2 would be worth the extra $50?
    im using it as helmet mount with a 4cell battery but not mounted on my helmet. i did try but it was quite impossible to do with the wrong velcro straps sent with the light but even it i were able to mount it on my helmet, the 4 cell battery will be kind of on the heavy side.

gloworm has mentioned they will have a 2 cell version but i am yet to see it on their site.

the light is compatible with an MJ battery though and they do have a 2 cell vattery.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    im using it as helmet mount with a 4cell battery but not mounted on my helmet. i did try but it was quite impossible to do with the wrong velcro straps sent with the light but even it i were able to mount it on my helmet, the 4 cell battery will be kind of on the heavy side.

gloworm has mentioned they will have a 2 cell version but i am yet to see it on their site.

the light is compatible with an MJ battery though and they do have a 2 cell vattery.
    Having just gotten the 2 cell batteries in I hope to get the X2-2cell option up by tomorrow. We now have the X1, 2 or 4 cell options listed.

The Magicshine batteries will work but will not have the power meter that the gloworm batteries have. (There is no meter on the light) Also, the MJ-6008 is only 2200mAh compared to the 2900mAh of the Gloworm battery.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by M6TTF View Post
    noticed the X2 graphics are different on some shots. Mine just has an X2 on it, not Gloworm X2? just a different batch?
    The lights are the same but we decided to throw the Gloworm Logo on the back too......so you are right - just a new batch

Bruce

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast