Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1198
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    blackbean-- this should help

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    Bapski... I had the same problem... The Velcro helmet strap that came with my kit wasnt working... There is no reverse piece of Velcro on the end of the strap-- so when you went though the loop and brought the velcro back to attach to itself--- it wont stick.. You end up with soft side to soft side or hard side to hard side... Not sure if this is the problem your having-- but if it is-- its not going to work.. Youll have to either get in touch with GW or just poach a small velcro strap off of your pump(or whatever you might have that has some)... That is what did..
    precisely what my problem is! (thank heavens it isnt my brain) rummaged through my gear and i did find a velcro strap from my lezyne pump, unfortunately its too short....
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    .... i was fiddling on attaching the helmet mount using the included velcro and i cant seem to attach it properly

is it my helmet? im using a GIRO XAR....cmon it shouldn't be this hard...

guess more tinkering when i get home..
    After looking at photos of the Giro XAR, I'll just say that the vents ( front part ) on your helmet are not the best for mounting a helmet light as the vents look slanted. I would think that would make the straps slide around. You might want to consider shopping for another helmet. Don't blame the light system, blame the helmet makers for not making helmets more compatible with helmet lights.

You are right though, it shouldn't be this hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    After looking at photos of the Giro XAR, I'll just say that the vents ( front part ) on your helmet are not the best for mounting a helmet light as the vents look slanted. I would think that would make the straps slide around. You might want to consider shopping for another helmet. Don't blame the light system, blame the helmet makers for not making helmets more compatible with helmet lights.

You are right though, it shouldn't be this hard.
    Thanks for the input. Glad its not me.

Cant justify getting a new helmet, i think i paid retail for it and it was expensive. Wife will definitely kill me!

Guess id have to figure something that will work. Lights are for emegency purposes only (when it gets dark while on the trail) and not really to do night rides...for now
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

b a n n e d
    The Giro XAR is definitely a terrible helmet for mounting a headlamp in the forward vents. If you ride somewhere that low hanging clearance isn't an issue, you can use the upper vent for greater stability.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    blackbean-- this should help

I can't imagine anyone would use a setting other than the Bush program for riding offroad...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bapski... I had the same problem... The Velcro helmet strap that came with my kit wasnt working... There is no reverse piece of Velcro on the end of the strap-- so when you went though the loop and brought the velcro back to attach to itself--- it wont stick.. You end up with soft side to soft side or hard side to hard side... Not sure if this is the problem your having-- but if it is-- its not going to work.. Youll have to either get in touch with GW or just poach a small velcro strap off of your pump(or whatever you might have that has some)... That is what did..
    took your advice. used one of the velcro straps from a ROAD PUMP and im thinking itll work...BUT

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The Giro XAR is definitely a terrible helmet for mounting a headlamp in the forward vents. If you ride somewhere that low hanging clearance isn't an issue, you can use the upper vent for greater stability.
    this is where the continuation of the BUT comes in....im able to mount it but it seems to be sliding a bit... i may need to re-adjust from time to time.,
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

b a n n e d
    took your advice. used one of the velcro straps from a ROAD PUMP and im thinking itll work...BUT

this is where the continuation of the BUT comes in....im able to mount it but it seems to be sliding a bit... i may need to re-adjust from time to time.,
    I'm not familiar with the GW helmet mount, but on the light that I have, there is a rubber piece on the bottom that provides added grip and prevents it from sliding. You could try adding a piece of 3M's waterproof electrical tape (its THICK stuff) to the bottom of the bracket to give it a little more grip.

Again, I'm not familiar with the GW bracket and this may already be there . . . but if not, maybe give this a shot?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the GW helmet mount, but on the light that I have, there is a rubber piece on the bottom that provides added grip and prevents it from sliding. You could try adding a piece of 3M's waterproof electrical tape (its THICK stuff) to the bottom of the bracket to give it a little more grip.

Again, I'm not familiar with the GW bracket and this may already be there . . . but if not, maybe give this a shot?
    the GW helmet mount does have a rubber mount on it... i have not mounted the light on it yet as i just got the tire pump velcro to tie down the the helmet mount. was fiddling on it while at work..

should be able to test it when i get home
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bapski-- go to REI-- they have veclro straps that will work perfect for you -- and they are only a few bucks.. They are in the backpacking area and come in orange(one length) and blue(a different length).. They will work perfect for you..

Here is a link to the orange one-- its even on sale..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bapski-- go to REI-- they have veclro straps that will work perfect for you -- and they are only a few bucks.. They are in the backpacking area and come in orange(one length) and blue(a different length).. They will work perfect for you..

Here is a link to the orange one-- its even on sale..
    thank you very much for the link. ill get it as soon as i find time to go to rei. meanwhile the one's from the tire pump will that you also suggested will do.

i think ill have no problems with the light slipping as the mount is resting on the visor. if it indeed will slip it will only go as far as the visor goes.

another close up shot of the mount resting on the visor

a front shot

side shot with the control

im no light expert so im not going to go into detail as to how bright it is. this is my first light and what i want it to do is it better out-perform the old light(cygolight?) that my riding buddy lent me. i think it was just under 500lumens and it was a model from way back. how the light performs for me im yet to find out till i test it for a ride.

id like to echo some feedback that was earlier mentioned though

i dont quite get how GW got the right design(sticks after you wrap) for the velcro strap for the battery pack and not for the light mount.

while the design of the velcro strap for the battery pack is usable, problem is its too short! im already having issues mounting the light on my helmet, as it seems the vents on my helmet are not GW friendly id have to also deal with the fact that mounting the battery pack on the helmet is not option.
    Last edited by bapski; 12-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    the problem with having the lighthead strap use a plastic buckle and double back on itself (the way the battery strap works) is the the buckle may press on your head inside the helmet. The velcro strap that comes with the X2 is indeed too long, but it can be cut down. When it presses against your head 1) it is not uncomfortable, and 2) it tightens the strap and holds the lighthead more stable

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolby View Post
    the problem with having the lighthead strap use a plastic buckle and double back on itself (the way the battery strap works) is the the buckle may press on your head inside the helmet. The velcro strap that comes with the X2 is indeed too long, but it can be cut down. When it presses against your head 1) it is not uncomfortable, and 2) it tightens the strap and holds the lighthead more stable
    good thing the foam pads on the helmet comes off...so i can take them off, put the mount in place and cover it by putting the foam back in.

also made sure the buckle is not positioned on top of my head but on the sides of the vents.

but boy, ive had to adjust the straps again....
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Sponsored by Xanax
    I've been searching for the best light for the money, and invariably my search has landed me here. Almost ready to pull the proverbial trigger, but want to see beamshots and other tests that Francis is putting together.

Kudos to Francis for allowing late entries to the shoot-out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bapski--run the wires through the helmet channels on the inside and out the bach... This will be safer cause it will eliminate the chance a branch can catch the wire and either rip it off and or cause a crash--either eway==bad stuff...I have the battery wire go through my channels out the back--around a channel and back out..This will eliminate the cable pressure on the light head.. Then i lead the remote button out of the front side right vent and velcro the button onto the very right edge of my visor--this way its very easy for me to find--resulting in less time with my hands off the bars-safer

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    good thing the foam pads on the helmet comes off...so i can take them off, put the mount in place and cover it by putting the foam back in.

also made sure the buckle is not positioned on top of my head but on the sides of the vents.

but boy, ive had to adjust the straps again....
    Hi Team

We have to sincerely apologise for the current helmet velcro. It was an oversight that slipped through the net and has been remedied already.

The new lights will be shipping soon with 3 pieces of velcro. 1. Elasticised for attaching the 2 cell battery to the helmet and the battery to the bike. 2. For the helmet mount, with loop and correctly configured this time. 3. For mounting the battery to the headstrap.

When mounting the helmet strap with the buckle, slide the buckle up to the mount and tighten from there.

Also, when mounting the battery to the frame, ensure you use the foam strip provided to protect your asset - it works a treat.

Keep the feedback and questions coming!

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hi Team

We have to sincerely apologise for the current helmet velcro. It was an oversight that slipped through the net and has been remedied already.

The new lights will be shipping soon with 3 pieces of velcro. 1. Elasticised for attaching the 2 cell battery to the helmet and the battery to the bike. 2. For the helmet mount, with loop and correctly configured this time. 3. For mounting the battery to the headstrap.

When mounting the helmet strap with the buckle, slide the buckle up to the mount and tighten from there.

Also, when mounting the battery to the frame, ensure you use the foam strip provided to protect your asset - it works a treat.

Keep the feedback and questions coming!

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    i think you forgot to mention how id get the corrected straps since i just bought my X2
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    bapski--run the wires through the helmet channels on the inside and out the bach... This will be safer cause it will eliminate the chance a branch can catch the wire and either rip it off and or cause a crash--either eway==bad stuff...I have the battery wire go through my channels out the back--around a channel and back out..This will eliminate the cable pressure on the light head.. Then i lead the remote button out of the front side right vent and velcro the button onto the very right edge of my visor--this way its very easy for me to find--resulting in less time with my hands off the bars-safer
    thats what i thought of while taking side shots of the helmet. the wire could get snagged on a branch.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Slovakia (Europe)
    i think ill have no problems with the light slipping as the mount is resting on the visor. if it indeed will slip it will only go as far as the visor goes. ...
    Looking at the pictures, why you didn't put the light a bit further towards the top of the helmet (ca. 7 - 10mm), so the bottom edge of the light mounting plate leans on the helmet visor edge?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Looking at the pictures, why you didn't put the light a bit further towards the top of the helmet (ca. 7 - 10mm), so the bottom edge of the light mounting plate leans on the helmet visor edge?
    the vent i am mounting to is shaped in a way that its wider and curving outwards towards the top of the helmet and narrow and straight toward the brim of the helmet. so that if i mount it higher, it will slip because of the irregularly shaped vent ("v" shaped). had my velcro strap been longer i would have more options on how to secure the helmet mount. still waiting for GW to say if im getting the corrected straps that he mentioned earlier.

on a side note, the picture above was taken while i was initially fiddling with how to attach the mount. i think, i may have it more secure now. i hope.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Peel and stick velcro is how I solve light mounting on lids like this. Some times the velcro is enough, others, I add a strap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Peel and stick velcro is how I solve light mounting on lids like this. Some times the velcro is enough, others, I add a strap.
    good idea too.. . but that would mean id have to peel out the rubber backing on the helmet mount...

ill test how my current setup works and if not thats another mounting solution. .
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Couldn't you use the bar mount along with the old magicshine mounts and just have it hanging off the front?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    am sure ill figure out a way one way or the other. thanks for the inputs and help guys... im in a good place now that i know i havent lost my brain just trying to figure out why it was becoming difficult to attach the mount.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I can't imagine anyone would use a setting other than the Bush program for riding offroad...
    I don't care for the bush program. there really isn't that much noticable difference between 1000lm to 1200 lumens or even 900 to 1300 for reasons of eye sensitivity. the advantages of battery life at 1000lm or 1200lm vs 1300lm makes up for the slight loss of light output. when the trails weren't covered in snow I found 1000lm adequate, but 1200lm to be better. now that all trails have snow on them and speeds are slower, 1200lm is overkill and 1000lm is just right. I also enjoy having a little more flexibility in light output as I may be riding with a group or crossing roads or commuting.

I think the optimal program would be something like: 50:300:700:1200

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast