Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Hey Gloworm, I wish you luck with this light, it looks nice and I want one.

I spent ages and ages making two on my manual mill (one for me and one for my Wife). I now wish I had read this thread when it first began as I have only just found it and could have saved myself lots of time and money.

Good luck, looks like a nice light.
    That's a beautiful-looking light.

@Vag, do you intend on producing any raw (uncoloured) light units?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyhow, paypal sent your way! Any special specials for the preorder clients or things you'd want a good old Canadian to test out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Very nice light! Do you now, how heavy the lighthead with the helmet mount is? The Lupine Piko is supposed to be 54g - I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Anyhow, paypal sent your way! Any special specials for the preorder clients or things you'd want a good old Canadian to test out?
    My apology for the spamming. Can you please ensure that my order is shipped with the spot/flood combination as standard with the additional spot optics. I hope I didn't made the mistake of requesting for all spot optics

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello,

We are more than happy with the positive comments on X2. Exciting times indeed!

To your questions now:

@ baymoe
    No mistake done. I just checked. You have 1 flood , 2 spot optics.

Regarding uncoloured lights, we do not plan to produce some in the moment. X2 housing after being produced is sand blasted and anodized. We see this treatment as an important part of our production process as it makes X2 more durable, rigid and abrasion resistive.

@mrraldos
    Sorry for that, but, I do not remember the exact weight by heart now. You will have to wait few hours(8-10) till i get to office tomorrow morning and check it with a scale. I'll be posting back.

On behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team,
    Vag

Action LED Lights
    Vag, Clear anodizing is possible and affords the same protection. However, the black color helps keep the light cool by allowing it to radiate heat better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Vag, Clear anodizing is possible and affords the same protection. However, the black color helps keep the light cool by allowing it to radiate heat better.
    How about that rad camo anodizing like Twenty6 and a few other companies are doing?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This looks like a great light. I'm currently in Canada. Any chance of shipping here and costs? Would custom fees, etc be including in shipping costs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
    This looks like a great light. I'm currently in Canada. Any chance of shipping here and costs? Would custom fees, etc be including in shipping costs?
    I've made the leap. Will let you know how that goes.

.... from Canada (Toronto)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    I've made the leap. Will let you know how that goes.

.... from Canada (Toronto)
    ....Plus one. The Gloworm X-2 seems to be designed specifically to my own personally preferences. With that in mind it would be totally rude of me not to order one, hence I's laying me moneys down. This lamp appears to do everything I could want a lamp to do other than dance a two step ( )

For the record, those requirements were:
    1) user replaceable optics
    2) wired remote
    3) multiple mode menu
    4) the ability to throw a nice long beam pattern
    5) off set ( and tilt-able... I think ) mounting
    6) runs off a standard MS/BR battery/cable setup
    7) reasonable price
    8) 14 day, no questions asked return policy

Gloworm did I leave anything out?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ....Plus one. The Gloworm X-2 seems to be designed specifically to my own personally preferences. With that in mind it would be totally rude of me not to order one, hence I's laying me moneys down. This lamp appears to do everything I could want a lamp to do other than dance a two step ( )

For the record, those requirements were:
    1) user replaceable optics
    2) wired remote
    3) multiple mode menu
    4) the ability to throw a nice long beam pattern
    5) off set ( and tilt-able... I think ) mounting
    6) runs off a standard MS/BR battery/cable setup
    7) reasonable price
    8) 14 day, no questions asked return policy

Gloworm did I leave anything out?
    Hi All

@Cat-man-do - I don't think you missed anything. I aim was to design a light that covered most of the needs of most users. So I'm glad we've ticked all your boxes. By the way we're currently working on the electronics for the two step

@matchpoint - Yes we can ship to Canada, it will be $25NZD. Unfortunately the fees/taxes at the border are your responsibility - sorry.

Now, I went out and brought a lux meter in the weekend. Using the approximate mtbr settings for measuring lux I conducted some measurements of the X2 lux output. Setup was as follows (as you'll see in the pics) 10ft x 10ft room, light and meter side by side 5ft from ceiling, ceiling white, walls light colour. Measurement taken 30 sec after light was turned on. (Please note the board was placed on a box to raise it to the correct height).

The result was 126 (MTBR) lux. If we compare that to Francios' table using the relationship of MTBR Lux x 10 to determine lumens - the X2 puts out 1260 lumens.

As a comprison the last photo is the MTBR Lux generated by the Gemini Titan - 60 Lux

Enjoy - comparison photos/weights coming soon.

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 12-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bruce - Can you show a photo of the lighthead mounted to a helmet? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have one concern regarding the mount. My handlebars are curved and I see no way of making left/right adjustments. With the Magic Shine 808 clones I currently have, the mounting is secured to the bottom with a screw. I can always loosen that up and make left/right adjustments. This would pretty much make the light useless for me unless I can point it straight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
    I have one concern regarding the mount. My handlebars are curved and I see no way of making left/right adjustments. With the Magic Shine 808 clones I currently have, the mounting is secured to the bottom with a screw. I can always loosen that up and make left/right adjustments. This would pretty much make the light useless for me unless I can point it straight.
    Glad I won't have that problem but a good point to make. Another good reason to have a screw hole under the lamp in case you need an alternate mounting solution. The only thing I can suggest might be the Niterider universal off-set mount. You could try gluing a Niterider quick-release clip to underneath the lamp or go the industrial velcro route. I use one of these mounts with a Bikeray IV but the BR does have a bottom screw which makes it easier.

Anyway you can include a photo of your handlebars to show us what you're dealing with?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Glad I won't have that problem but a good point to make. Another good reason to have a screw hole under the lamp in case you need an alternate mounting solution. The only thing I can suggest might be the Niterider universal off-set mount. You could try gluing a Niterider quick-release clip to underneath the lamp or go the industrial velcro route. I use one of these mounts with a Bikeray IV but the BR does have a bottom screw which makes it easier.

Anyway you can include a photo of your handlebars to show us what you're dealing with?
    Hi Guys

Yes I do hear what you are saying. We have reduced the possibility of this problem by designing the bar mount (only 14mm wide at the base) to sit alongside the stem where most bars are flat. The light then centres over the stem thus pointing the light in the correct direction.

We'll post some pics soon of one of our prototypes mounted on the bars and helmet to provide some real world prespective.

In the meantime if 'matchpoint' could post a pic of his bars we could assess how the light would best work.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars and a Titec stem. There is no "flat" past the stem. The bars start to sweep up -8mm past the stem and there is .75mm taper in that distance. Single sided NR mounts always put the light angled slightly off center. The solution for me was to make a "bridge" style mount that attaches to both sides of the bar with light in the middle.

mtbr member
    You might be able to simply velcro the light to a magicshine rubberband mount. If it's that light, it shouldn' fly off or anything.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I use Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars and a Titec stem. There is no "flat" past the stem. The bars start to sweep up -8mm past the stem and there is .75mm taper in that distance. Single sided NR mounts always put the light angled slightly off center. The solution for me was to make a "bridge" style mount that attaches to both sides of the bar with light in the middle.
    dang....8mm isn't much room to work with unless you have the bridge custom made. You could use an extension off the stem like this but it is somewhat bulky.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello Everyone,

We have recently had some requests for photos of the X2 mounted on the helmet and bar. So we have used one of our original prototypes to give you an accurate indication of size and profile. Additionally we have added some shots comparing the Gloworm X2 with the Gemini Titan.

(Please ignore the detail of this particular light as it is prototype version 1 - the actual production prototype can be seen here)

So here you go....enjoy!

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hello Everyone,

We have recently had some requests for photos of the X2 mounted on the helmet and bar. So we have used one of our original prototypes to give you an accurate indication of size and profile. Additionally we have added some shots comparing the Gloworm X2 with the Gemini Titan.

(Please ignore the detail of this particular light as it is prototype version 1 - the actual production prototype can be seen here)

So here you go....enjoy!

This lamp looks so sweet! I can't wait to get it. Sadly there will likely be snow where I am by mid January so I'm in no real hurry. Besides, I don't really ride in winter too much any more unless I get a really nice day. . Anyway, this mounting gives the lamp a very clean look which I just love. I just hope it works as well as it looks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very nIce light. I would like to see a comparison to a piko. A p7 Gemini Titan is not really good match to compare it to. Anymore specs on the head unit like beam degree and weight?

mtbr member
    Sure is nice looking. I can't decide whether to buy 1 or 2.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice to see that the helmet mount gets the light low, off the crown of the helmet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is there some sort of non-scratching buffer between the handlebar mount and the bar? Looks like metal on metal in the pictures...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemike View Post
    Is there some sort of non-scratching buffer between the handlebar mount and the bar? Looks like metal on metal in the pictures...
    I'm sure there is, but at the VERY least you could just wrap a little innertube around the bar.

Vag and Bruce - I'm curious if you measured your LUX from the Titan as well. It would be nice to know the numbers, same room, same conditions, for comparison.

Also, I really like the rubberband mount that's offset and 'up'. It looks real versatile that you can tilt it forward a bit. One of the biggest problems that I have is a 'fender shadow'. I live in an extremely muddy area so I have to run gigantic fenders (like the THE fender) and this should help to minimize that issue.
    "It looks flexy"

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast