Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=Cat-man-do;9720396]

Adding to that when helmet mounted you almost don't need a bar mounted light. An X2 on the helmet would make a great one lamp system if you are into that kind of thing.

I've noticed that too. As a helmet light, some times I run a spot/thrower and other times a more powerfull flood, but when using the flood I always run my bar light at a lower setting.
    Mole

mountain biker
    Cat or Mole... have either or you seen or tried the Jetlites X-51? Though not quite as small and light as these units, it seems that with their reflector design that light would be able to throw a spot farther and more focused than these lights with optics.

As you might be aware, I'm looking for a super-spot to replace my Xera. At first I thought the gloworm would be the light to do it, but it seems to not be the case. Now it seems that the Gloworm team is developing something to "complement" the X2. I'm wondering if it's a single XML with a well thought out reflector instead of optics. And that got me thinking about the Jetlites x-51. So... has anyone tried one? and Gloworm, are you in fact working on a "super-spot" to complement your "perfect bar light"?!?!

I know I'm hijacking this thread a little, but maybe it's for the best?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    I took the X2 ( V2 ) out for a spin on the helmet. My first impression; Not what I want for the helmet. Don't get me wrong, I love the light on the bars but the beam pattern for the helmet is too wide to suit my tastes.

On the up side if you can live with a good 150 ft. of wide throw on the helmet you'll have no complaints. Adding to that when helmet mounted you almost don't need a bar mounted light. An X2 on the helmet would make a great one lamp system if you are into that kind of thing.

With the X2 ( V2 ) on the helmet and the V1 on the bars I had no problems seeing anything into the 150 ft. range. The V2 will reach farther but doesn't give as much detail as a true thrower. Anyway, you'll hear no complaints from me. I love the V2 on the bars and that's where it will stay.

Hey Cat,
    Did you have spot lenses in both LED'S? I really like the low profile, lightweight, and helmet mount for this light. I run 2 spots and find it to be a good thrower, but I do find myself always wanting more throw. I just don't care for a larger, heavier lighthead on my helmet as they tend to bother by neck. What light do you prefer for your helmet and find as a good thrower?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Hey Cat,
    Did you have spot lenses in both LED'S? I really like the low profile, lightweight, and helmet mount for this light. I run 2 spots and find it to be a good thrower, but I do find myself always wanting more throw. I just don't care for a larger, heavier lighthead on my helmet as they tend to bother by neck. What light do you prefer for your helmet and find as a good thrower?
    Yes, my X2 has a double spot optic. Most of the time I use an Ultrafire 501B torch with 3-mode XM-L T6 drop-in on the helmet. It is a very light set up and installs in seconds. It has about the same range as the X2 but half the output.

Torches work great in warm weather but once the temps get colder they tend not to work as well. Batteries don't like cold weather and torches only use one cell at a time. (* not to mention the battery in a torch is encased in an aluminum tube which cools very quickly ) A dedicated bike light on the other hand uses an external battery generally with multiple cells, the more cells the longer the run time. The more cells the better the battery is at handling temperature induced voltage sag.

When Fall comes I switch over to a dedicated bike light so I get a brighter more sustained output. In answer to your question I can only say it's a still a toss up. At the moment I'm favoring the Xeccon S-12 because it has superior long throw. It is not the lightest of light heads though but fortunately the weight while noticeable is not a deal breaker. The X2 on the other hand is so light that I can hardly notice it on the helmet.

slyfink, No, I've never tried the Jetlites X-51. Judging from beam shots of earlier versions I was not impressed. Perhaps the newer stuff is better but I couldn't tell you without at least seeing a beam shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne480 View Post
    .....Also interested in seeing the battery . . . is this going to be a feasible helmet light with the battery mounted on the helmet?
    What light system are you referring to? If you were trying to post photo links they didn't come through.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm running the x2 as my only light on my helmet. Are most doing this running two spot optics? I need to swap in a second spot and see the impact. So far I'm happy with the light as a one light solution. Its early in my life with a glowworm, my only issue so far has been the poor adhesive on the button back...but that is pretty minor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    any news on the new products? love my X2, been running it on my lid, but would love to move it to my bars and have something to accompany it

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by M6TTF View Post
    any news on the new products? love my X2, been running it on my lid, but would love to move it to my bars and have something to accompany it
    Hello,

You will be very soon have some news from us. Our new product is currently developed and it will make a very good pair with the X2.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    A couple of friends are looking for a light - I'm going to suggest they look at the X2. Are there any season opener sales coming up soon I can tell them about? THX!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTEHello,

You will be very soon have some news from us. Our new product is currently developed and it will make a very good pair with the X2.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    ][/QUOTE]

Sounds great Bruce. Is your NZ website the best one to order through if ordering from Australia?? Any idea when the new light is out? I have a Dusk till Dawn race at the end of November and want a new bar and helmet combo.

Cheers

Tim

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can anyone comment on what kind of battery life they've been getting from the X2?

Mine seems to last way longer than the claimed runtimes. I haven't yet managed to actually use up all the juice, but on my usual two hour rides the gauge only drops to 80%.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello guys,

@gticlay: We do not plan an offer. If you are in USA though Action Led Lights sells it with reduced shipping for local buyers.

@Tim73: We have a distributor in Australia: Bicycle Peddler. I am sure you can find a local shop holding the X2 once you give them a call. In any case drop us a pm if you find any difficulty and we'll help.

@micah356: It is normal that you get higher than expected lifetime. Gloworm battery uses 2900 mAh Panasonic batteries while the usual cell used by other manufacturers is 2600 mAh or 2200 mAh cells. That difference of 300mAh (600 in the 4 cell pack) gives you some extra juice that you should not have been used to with other lights .

With the current battery your X2 should be holding 2.5 hours in 1200 Lumens.
    Here note that we tent to be conservative with our numbers rather than exaggerate them. That rule applies both when it comes to lumen and to battery life.

Cheers,
    Vag and Bruce

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there any news on the possibility of a quick release for the X2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @Tim73: We have a distributor in Australia: Bicycle Peddler. I am sure you can find a local shop holding the X2 once you give them a call. In any case drop us a pm if you find any difficulty and we'll help.
    Thanks Bruce I picked one up from a local store yesterday, do you have a time frame on the "spot" light you have coming? My 12 hour is in about 6 weeks and I would prefer to stay with the one brand, if it is not released I can probably borrow a light from a mate so no big deal.

Tim

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by tim73 View Post
    Thanks Bruce I picked one up from a local store yesterday, do you have a time frame on the "spot" light you have coming? My 12 hour is in about 6 weeks and I would prefer to stay with the one brand, if it is not released I can probably borrow a light from a mate so no big deal.

Tim
    Hi Tim,

The X1 will be released before the end of the year, but probably not before 6 weeks.

@Ozzy43 - The QR mount has been designed..............keep an eye out

We just got some new photos done for the X2.......some really cool shots.

Cheers all

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hi Tim,

The X1 will be released before the end of the year, but probably not before 6 weeks.

Cheers all

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Details?...sneak peak photo?...

Is this designed to be a thrower/helmet light?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Details?...sneak peak photo?...

Is this designed to be a thrower/helmet light?
    Hello,

You can find a sneak peak photo on our facebook page back from 21st of August. We have been testing for a while. It does not reveal much indeed but i think that soon you will get some more in an official X1 post here

Is it designed to be a helmet-thrower lights?

Yes it is. You will have the option of a clear-spot optic and a frosted-flood optic. On Fb you can see the frosted one.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 10-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ooh that looks and sounds just the ticket! May well be an Xmas pressie to myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hello,

You can find a sneak peak photo on our facebook page back from 21st of August. We have been testing for a while. It does not reveal much indeed but i think that soon you will get some more in an official X1 post here

Is it designed to be a helmet-thrower lights?

Yes it is. You will have the option of a clear-spot optic and a frosted-flood optic.
    On Fb you can see the frosted one.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Okay, not much of a preview on Facebook. So is this a single emitter XM-L or ( other ) lamp or some sort of mult-led configuration?

PLEASE SIR.....

WE'D LIKE SOME MORE INFO. IF YOU PLEASE.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Okay, not much of a preview on Facebook. So is this a single emitter XM-L or ( other ) lamp or some sort of mult-led configuration?

PLEASE SIR.....

WE'D LIKE SOME MORE INFO. IF YOU PLEASE.
    Hey Cat,

Keep an eye out next week. All will be revealed

All we can say, is what has already been said. Helmet light, small, bright, single emmitter.....

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just tried my X2 out last night. Wow, very very bright! I had to run it on low / med.

My only other light is a Lumina 650. Would it be better to run the 650 on the bars and the X2 on the helmet? Or the other way around?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur View Post
    Just tried my X2 out last night. Wow, very very bright! I had to run it on low / med.

My only other light is a Lumina 650. Would it be better to run the 650 on the bars and the X2 on the helmet? Or the other way around?
    Probably more convenient to have the standalone Lumina on the helmet and the X2 on the bars (running flood).

mountain biker
    Hey guys,

what's up with your website? I can't get on glowormlites.com or glowormlites.co.nz... also, is actionLED not selling your products anymore? They're not up on their website. Maybe out of stock?

and a technical question: can the light be run without the remote? I personally don't like having wires all over the place, and don't think I would find having a remote worth the extra clutter on my bars...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    ....and a technical question: can the light be run without the remote? I personally don't like having wires all over the place, and don't think I would find having a remote worth the extra clutter on my bars...
    There is no non-remote option. There is a big time advantage to the remote. First it gives you more options for mounting. I mount mine down on the bars so it is almost parallel with the bars. Without the remote you wouldn't have that option because you wouldn't be able to get to the switch. Adding to that with the remote you don't accidentally knock the lamp out of adjustment by changing modes. The button on the remote is very small, only about 17mm x 17mm square and takes up little space. They give you little bits of Velcro to aid in mounting it to the bars. I mount the button just to the outside of the handlebar grip just about an inch above my thumb shifter. I use another small piece of Velcro about halfway on the MTB bars to keep the wire in place ( so it doesn't tap and make noise ). On my road set-up I don't have to do that because the bar is shorter and the wire just slips under the brake/shifter pod and stays out of sight.

Both of my set-ups look very clean. All of my brake and shifter cables are black so unless you've got really good eye sight the extra wire just fades into the mix. In the mean time you never have to take your hands off the bar to fiddle with the light modes which is a big, big plus. Something else that no one else mentioned before: You can also set the light head up if you're a lefty. Simply turn the lamp upside down and mount the single strut mount to the right of the stem. The only down side to a remote set-up as I see it is that it takes a little longer to set up but once you figure that out it basically is just a one time issue.

If you really don't want a remote than the Gemini Duo looks like the next best thing.

mtbr member
    deleted

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast