Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system

231K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Skyraider59 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Vag (Vaggelis) coming from Greece and together with Bruce from Gloworm Performance Products ( formely Gloworm Lites) in New Zealand we have been working since last August in order to design from scratch and produce with the highest standards a new Bike Light. We call our initiative Gloworm Manufacturing and we are more than proud to introduce to you our latest project.....

Its name is Gloworm X2 and it is a dual XM-L that produces 1200 lumens. We have finished testing and we are about to launch the X2 just before New Year.

Presale will start pretty soon and more information will be posted here.

Take a close look at our teaser photo and focus on the size/ lumen rate.
Also you can read a small review of our light here. We showed our first (not-anodized) prototype at "on your Bike Expo" in New Zealand. Feel free to check the link following for first impressions of riders who saw it live.

On Your Bike - Day 2 | Spoke Magazine

Please treat this post as a soft opening. More and more information and details (including beamshots) will be available soon.

See less See more
#71 ·
Very Nice! Very Nice! Good work on the remote. Like others I might have wanted a screw hole under the light head in case I wanted to use another mount but this looks like it might work right out of the box. My only doubt though centers around just how stable the lamp will be on the bars with the off-set ( O-ring ) mounting. I wouldn't have said that though if this had of been designed with a cam/clamp bar mount but since this is using O-rings it might tend to be a little unstable if the O-ring is not the right size. Not a big issue though because usually I can find O-rings in any hardware store that will work ( * if the stock ones are not tight enough ).

Anyway, I like what I'm seeing. :thumbsup: Looks like you're using optics...cool. Can't wait to see some beam pics. :thumbsup:

#72 ·
Hello Cat-man-do

You must have missed the new beam shots (link below). Bruce invested in a tripod and used the a Canon G7 camera utilising the MTBR light shoot out settings. The results speak for themselves.

Link to Beam Shot Post

Regarding the o-ring mount, agreed, if the o-ring is the wrong size or a little loose it may be unstable. However with the design width of the where the o-ring hooks onto the mount it creates a wider profile and therefore is more stable. Our tests have yielded very positive results (especially through rock gardens and off steep drops! - so Bruce says!)

On behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team ,
Vag

#73 ·
Hey Gloworm, I wish you luck with this light, it looks nice and I want one.

I spent ages and ages making two on my manual mill (one for me and one for my Wife). I now wish I had read this thread when it first began as I have only just found it and could have saved myself lots of time and money.

Good luck, looks like a nice light.

#80 ·
Hello,

We are more than happy with the positive comments on X2. Exciting times indeed!

To your questions now:

@ baymoe
No mistake done. I just checked. You have 1 flood , 2 spot optics.

Regarding uncoloured lights, we do not plan to produce some in the moment. X2 housing after being produced is sand blasted and anodized. We see this treatment as an important part of our production process as it makes X2 more durable, rigid and abrasion resistive.

@mrraldos
Sorry for that, but, I do not remember the exact weight by heart now. You will have to wait few hours(8-10) till i get to office tomorrow morning and check it with a scale. I'll be posting back.

On behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team,
Vag

#88 ·
I have one concern regarding the mount. My handlebars are curved and I see no way of making left/right adjustments. With the Magic Shine 808 clones I currently have, the mounting is secured to the bottom with a screw. I can always loosen that up and make left/right adjustments. This would pretty much make the light useless for me unless I can point it straight. :nono:

#89 ·
Glad I won't have that problem but a good point to make. Another good reason to have a screw hole under the lamp in case you need an alternate mounting solution. The only thing I can suggest might be the Niterider universal off-set mount. You could try gluing a Niterider quick-release clip to underneath the lamp or go the industrial velcro route. I use one of these mounts with a Bikeray IV but the BR does have a bottom screw which makes it easier.

Anyway you can include a photo of your handlebars to show us what you're dealing with?

#91 ·
I use Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars and a Titec stem. There is no "flat" past the stem. The bars start to sweep up -8mm past the stem and there is .75mm taper in that distance. Single sided NR mounts always put the light angled slightly off center. The solution for me was to make a "bridge" style mount that attaches to both sides of the bar with light in the middle.

#94 ·
Hello Everyone,

We have recently had some requests for photos of the X2 mounted on the helmet and bar. So we have used one of our original prototypes to give you an accurate indication of size and profile. Additionally we have added some shots comparing the Gloworm X2 with the Gemini Titan.

(Please ignore the detail of this particular light as it is prototype version 1 - the actual production prototype can be seen here)

So here you go....enjoy!

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#95 ·
Hello Everyone,

We have recently had some requests for photos of the X2 mounted on the helmet and bar. So we have used one of our original prototypes to give you an accurate indication of size and profile. Additionally we have added some shots comparing the Gloworm X2 with the Gemini Titan.

(Please ignore the detail of this particular light as it is prototype version 1 - the actual production prototype can be seen here)

So here you go....enjoy!

This lamp looks so sweet! I can't wait to get it. Sadly there will likely be snow where I am by mid January so I'm in no real hurry. Besides, I don't really ride in winter too much any more unless I get a really nice day. ;) . Anyway, this mounting gives the lamp a very clean look which I just love. I just hope it works as well as it looks. :thumbsup:

#100 ·
I'm sure there is, but at the VERY least you could just wrap a little innertube around the bar.

Vag and Bruce - I'm curious if you measured your LUX from the Titan as well. It would be nice to know the numbers, same room, same conditions, for comparison.

Also, I really like the rubberband mount that's offset and 'up'. It looks real versatile that you can tilt it forward a bit. One of the biggest problems that I have is a 'fender shadow'. I live in an extremely muddy area so I have to run gigantic fenders (like the THE fender) and this should help to minimize that issue.

#101 ·
Hello There,

Well it's good to finally get the photos up of the X2 mounted in a real life application. We think it looks great - as do a few of you :)

@gticlay - I will get some shots of the P7 Titan Lux measurement tonight (in the same conditions etc).

@cdalemike - Yes there will be a rubber mounting pad attached to the base of the mount. As the lamp in the picture is the 1st prototype there are few details that were not added before testing.

@anekin007 - Beam angle is specified at 23deg for the spot/flood combo and 20deg for the spot/spot. However the spot/flood seems a little wider as the edges of the beam are 'softer'. In regards to the piko, yes a comparison would be good, but unfotunately we do not have one to compare with yet (a Xera would also be nice to make a comparison with). The comparison between the X2 and the Titan was used as most people can relate to the size of the titan/magicshine 808 etc. Weight wise - there will be scale photos soon.

Thanks

Bruce
Gloworm
NZ

#104 ·
Hi Vag, Bruce,

I have just come to this thread so apologies if this has already been covered but I didn't see it when I read all the posts.

What is the length of the power lead to the battery? I am specifically interested in regard to the helmet mounting option because I wouldn't want to mount a 4-cell battery on my helmet. My existing helmet light uses a 2-cell battery and I put that in my back pocket and run an extension lead to the light.

If the lead isn't long enough for this are you going to offer and extension cable option?

Great light by the way and an almost incredible price!

#109 ·
Hello,

Vag here. It has been a while that I did not write. It's a great feeling to see all these positive comments coming.

Let me answer some questions:

@ overthehill
Total length of the battery cable from the housing to the plug is 10cm. An extension cable is provided of course.

@ yetibetty
Bruce has send you a PM some hours ago regarding shipping. Not much difference with the USA one.

@ gticlay and MaximusHQ
Regarding the switch, what MaximusHQ described was the main thought behind our decision. I believe that the first ones who will get the X2 in their hands will be able to give us more feedback after using.

Regarding the cable quality, we have done quite some research here before deciding on the build and what I can tell you for sure is that your cable won't be ripped that easily. We have worked to design our own splitters and stress reliefs that will last for long.

Also note that in the, rare I believe, case of any problem with your cable (or light) our customer service will be there to work out a fast solution.

On Behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team,
Vag

#113 ·
I really like the sound of everything marketed in this thread, but I will refrain from a purchase until I've got some unbiased field reports on durability and longevity. Unless of course the MFG is willing to provide me a unit to test for them ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.