Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    1. Our surface area is more than 1 square inch per watt. According to our design engineer this is enough for thermal management. This is a fact that has been also confirmed during our tests.
    I am a big fan of small and lightweight helmet lights as my 50+ year old neck has a hard enough time just keeping the old noggin up near the end of a ride. My experience shows that 1 sq. in. per Watt is sufficient as long as you have a moderate flow of fairly cool air. To my memory my microlights are among the smallest, lightest builds posted on MTBR. My latest is <27 grams with mount for dual XPGs with Regina reflectors. It has ~6 sq. in. area and ~6W of heat to deal with. It gets hot. In my garage at 11C air temp it levels off at 64C in ~20 minutes. I did not chart the temp rise over time, but it did most of the gain in the first few minutes. For me this is acceptable. If I am stopped for any amount of time I turn it to low. For a more casual user this might not be a good setup. IMO lights like this gloworm or other small high power lights are like light XC race wheels. Not everyone can or should use them. They might need a bit more care and they may not last as long as something bigger and heavier.

mtbr member
    Please pay attention to the tiny white tin on the ground (present in both photos). We use it as a distance marker.

In the open space photo:
    Tin is at 25 meters distance. Trees in background is at 60 meters distance.

In the trail photo:
    Tin is at 15 meters distance.

Thanks for the photos but I see nothing that I can clearly ID as a white tin. A bigger marker would have been better. A 16oz soda bottle works well as distance markers. I've used the 16oz Pepsi bottles with silver labels that show up real well. Leave a little water in the bottle to give the bottle more weight. Really helps if there is some wind. It also looks as though you didn't use a tripod which really would have helped to make the photos clearer.

I really did want to comment more about the photos but since I can't say for certain where the tin is there is no point.

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Fair enough... I apologize for making it sound like there was some secrecy going on. Certainly not my intention. Given your description of your much smaller light, the marked differences certainly sound reasonable.

My conclusions were based largely on my experience with a light that I build with a very similar lumen output and similar wattage. Total mass and dimensions look reasonably similar, but I have over 2 square inches per watt due to some extreme fin machining (not cheap by the way). I use some of the highest performance thermal epoxy on the market (Arctic Alumina) to bond the LED boards directly to the 1-piece black anodized housing. And with only 12 watts dissipated in the LEDs (~14 total system power), I can get the case up to about 120 degF in 6 minutes in free air before the somewhat conservative 60degC thermal limit kicks in. 120 degF is a good bit more than barely warm feeling. If you're talking 10 minutes or more in your hand at the stated 2 amp drive (approximately 15 watts total system power) in still air and it's barely warm to the touch, then color me amazed. I'm obviously missing something, I just can't figure out what it is. Oh well. Cheers.

Oh, and for what it's worth I notice from post #1 to post #12 about a 2x increase in the finned surface area. Does that mean the CAD image is the production version and the color image is the prototype that you were holding?
    Yeah, I saw you light build on the beamshot thread.I think I may have accidentally given you the impression it didn't heat up. It did. But if I can hold a light in still air for more than a few minutes without burning my hand then I reckon it's fine for sale to the general public. Up to the point it's uncomfortable to hold it's merely warm. I define hot as when you can't hold onto it anymore. Not very scientific I admit, but there you go.

I don't know the answer to that last question.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Is not amused
    Waiting to hear about inputs once they hit the US. From there this could be my next light and so far this light looks to be a great investment. Cat-man-do the tin is located with the third grade arrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-x225m.jpg  

Last edited by Hutch3637; 12-01-2011 at 05:37 AM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello,

@ Cat man do

I have added a red dot on both photos just where the Tin is.

Hope it is more clear now. Looking forward to read your analysis.

On behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team
    Vag

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Vag, thanks for the website ordering update. Appreciate it.

I am curious as to how the remote access will work. Say one was to run the x2 on the hemlet with battery pack in pack of camel back. Is there an option to run the setup without remote switch and basically power on/change mode/power off from the light head itself? It would be great to get a view shot of the switch section on light engine...

mtbr member
    Hello,

@ Cat man do

I have added a red dot on both photos just where the Tin is.

Hope it is more clear now. Looking forward to read your analysis.

Vag
    Vag, Thanks for that clarification. As to the "Open" photo: Basically the light looks to throw only about 25 meters ( 82ft. )...unless at that point the road drops down a hill and you can't see further. If it does indeed throw only 25 meters that would compare to the current offerings sold by Magicshine ( MJ-872 ) and Bikeray ( BR IV ). Personally I was hoping for a little more usable throw. Now if the over-all beam pattern was not quite as bright/wide but threw to say, 150 ft. then you have something worth moving up to. Perhaps if you used different ( tighter )optics or perhaps one of the current optics and one reflector you could reach a more happy medium. With the current setup I wouldn't plan to use this as a helmet lamp but it would make a darn good bar setup especially if you already have a good thrower on the helmet.

Chomagftw wrote:
    I am curious as to how the remote access will work. Say one was to run the x2 on the hemlet with battery pack in pack of camel back. Is there an option to run the setup without remote switch and basically power on/change mode/power off from the light head itself? It would be great to get a view shot of the switch section on light engine...
    Are these being sold with a remote?? I must of missed that somehow. Is this true?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Chomagftw wrote:

Are these being sold with a remote?? I must of missed that somehow. Is this true?
    Cat, we know you love your remotes!

I believe remote is inclusive:

GLOWORM Lites - Company - Auckland, New Zealand - Store | Facebook

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Vag, Thanks for that clarification. As to the "Open" photo: Basically the light looks to throw only about 25 meters ( 82ft. )...unless at that point the road drops down a hill and you can't see further. If it does indeed throw only 25 meters that would compare to the current offerings sold by Magicshine ( MJ-872 ) and Bikeray ( BR IV ). Personally I was hoping for a little more usable throw. Now if the over-all beam pattern was not quite as bright/wide but threw to say, 150 ft. then you have something worth moving up to. Perhaps if you used different ( tighter )optics or perhaps one of the current optics and one reflector you could reach a more happy medium. With the current setup I wouldn't plan to use this as a helmet lamp but it would make a darn good bar setup especially if you already have a good thrower on the helmet.

Chomagftw wrote:

Hello,

@ Cat-man-do I guess the picture is a bit deceiving. The path does drop away at the point where the red dot is. We will post some 'flat' trail/open space photos on Sunday night (NZ time) with a professional setup that will indicate the throw a little better. We compared with the Bikeray III (3 x XPG) and the X2 was superior. You should see usable throw out to about 35-40m (115-130ft). I guess it also depends on where you aim the light during such photographs.

In regards to the remote switch. Please do not confuse this with a wireless switch. The remote switch is remote from the light head. It is optimised for bar and helmet use so it can be mounted in the same place as the thumb for the rear derailleur shifter or on the side of the helmet. The cable splits just after it leave the housing - 1 wire going to the switch, 1 wire going to the battery. At this stage there is no switch on the light itself.

Vag

mtbr member
    Maybe we can start reporting how bright lights are in "glow worms"?

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Hello,

@ Cat-man-do I guess the picture is a bit deceiving. The path does drop away at the point where the red dot is. We will post some 'flat' trail/open space photos on Sunday night (NZ time) with a professional setup that will indicate the throw a little better. We compared with the Bikeray III (3 x XPG) and the X2 was superior. You should see usable throw out to about 35-40m (115-130ft). I guess it also depends on where you aim the light during such photographs.

In regards to the remote switch. Please do not confuse this with a wireless switch. The remote switch is remote from the light head. It is optimised for bar and helmet use so it can be mounted in the same place as the thumb for the rear derailleur shifter or on the side of the helmet. The cable splits just after it leave the housing - 1 wire going to the switch, 1 wire going to the battery. At this stage there is no switch on the light itself.

Vag
    Okay, hopefully the better picture will be more revealing. Anyway you can include a photo of the remote? I would like to see what these things look like.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Okay, hopefully the better picture will be more revealing. Anyway you can include a photo of the remote? I would like to see what these things look like.
    Hello

Well as it happens the rain has spoiled our progress on getting some more beam shots. Keep watching they will be soon, plus some of the remote swtich.

Vag

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Led Temp

I looked through this thread, but didn't see the tint.
    Anyone got info on this.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repo View Post
    I looked through this thread, but didn't see the tint.
    Anyone got info on this.

Thanks
    I agree. More info on tint needed Vag.

Switch/button is remote or on the housing? I didn't get this. Photos look like it's onboard but description says remote.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello

Well it's great we have so many question and interest in the X2.

I'll answer the questions first then show you the long awaited beam shots.

Also the new website is up and running at www.glowormlites.com!

@ Repo

The LEDs are XML T6 Bin 1B appx 5800k colour temp - you will see this in the beam shots. The colour is not a brilliant white thus allowing the rider to see more detail in the trail.

@ Giant-Lander

The switch is a remote switch, not in the housing.

(this post has been edited. Old beam shots are deleted as they were of bad quality and not representing our light capabilities and new ones with two beam settings are uploaded in a later post)

Enjoy!

Vag
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 12-09-2011 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Paypal sent.
    Vag, get those parcels going!
    Beam looks a bit too broad but.... we'll see!
    Place an integraded battery light as the next project! Maybe triple xpg or dual xm-l....
    Tint looks good.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For me the beam is too floody. Particularly because the smallish size would be good on the helmet. Tighten that baby up some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    For me the beam is too floody. Particularly because the smallish size would be good on the helmet. Tighten that baby up some.
    I agree. They could at least offer a second set of lenses or reflectors. If the Xera lens fit, that would be very, very good.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I think we can safely say now that these are designed to be primarily used as bar lights. That much is clear. If the light really does throw to 130 ft ( 40m ) that wouldn't be too bad but it is hard to judge intensity from the beam photos. Beam tint does look a bit warm. Some people will like that and some won't. The only potential problem I see could lie with the lower power levels. With a beam that wide and with the present beam tint the lower levels might not be as useful as they could be. This however is speculation on my part. We need some user beam photos to help widen our perspective.

more carbon=more awesome
    I've stayed out of this thread for a wee while, but I thought I'd chime in again briefly. The first set of photos didn't do the light justice at all. I was holding the light while Bruce took the photos, and for whatever reason the camera didn't capture as much light as I was actually seeing in real life, and this particularly applied to the amount of throw. I suspect the second set of shots are still coming up a bit short, and the tint looks greener than I recall seeing in person. It was a pretty warm tint, but compared to a quad XPG light we were also looking at, I thought it was pretty good for making out trail detail.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    I would buy this light if they would offer an option for a tighter beam with more reach. I absolutely love remote switches and the size, output, and adjustability on this light are nice. I would have bought a Piko this year, but it just didnt have enough output to replace my Wilma at 1000 lumens. This light has eveything I would want in a helmet light if they just offer the tighter beam. Please do that and you will have a winning package.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I would buy this light if they would offer an option for a tighter beam with more reach. I absolutely love remote switches and the size, output, and adjustability on this light are nice. I would have bought a Piko this year, but it just didnt have enough output to replace my Wilma at 1000 lumens. This light has eveything I would want in a helmet light if they just offer the tighter beam. Please do that and you will have a winning package.
    I agree. If you look at the comments, VAG said something about a throw and a flood on the two sides so... if they would offer an additional throw optic or reflector, fthat would be sweet!
    "It looks flexy"

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Beam shots

Hello,

Long time no see, as both me and Bruce are working in the last details of the X2. One of these details was added thanks to your feedback. Thank you for that guys!

Gloworm X2 has now two optics setting: Spot-Flood and Spot-Spot!!!!

Spot-Flood makes a nice floody beam, the one that you have seen in previous photos, while,

Spot-Spot makes a more tight beam with better throw and still enough flood, especially good for helmet use.

This way we hope that we address all the issues with our beam and that we offer an all around solution.

Lense Settings
    Basic setting is Spot-Flood and for all preorders an extra Spot Lense will be added for free so that you have both options available!
    (also for the ones already made)

Return Policy
    Also please note that a 14 days return in case you do not like the light is applied for all pre orders.

Beamshots
    Comparison with Gemini Titan P7-MTBR Settings- Canon G7 (Francois is using Canon G9)
    Open space photo with cone at 40m (135ft)
    Please pay special notice to the throw of the Spot-Spot Setting especially in comparison with Titan P7. (look at the trees around the cone)

Trail photo with cone at 30m (100ft)
    Please pay special attention to the different beam pattern between Spot-Spot and Flood-Spot.

Wall photo is with Flood-Spot lenses just for you to see the beam. Spot-spot does not have such difference in such a short distance.

Enjoy!

On Behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing Team
    Vag

P.s: While Bruce was having his coffee today, one of our headlights prototypes was forgotten in the coffee shop. Hopefully no headlight housing photos will leak before Monday....
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 12-09-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Arrrghhh!!!

Website?

Any reported problems with the website? I've tried to access it through the US and haven't been able to connect.
    By the way, those beam shots look amazing.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I can get to the site fine from the US. A little slow, but it comes up...

Some questions:

1. I really like the hard battery case on the Gemini lights which is a very clean design. Will your hard case be similar? Guess it would be nice to see some actual pictures of the entire kit before investing in the pre-order.

2. Do you have any further indication of an actual ship date? The site appears to be updated to answer this question, mid-Jan.

3. Do you plan to offer any sort of trial period similar to what Gemini does? Being so new, I want to ensure there will not be issues with the initial roll-out. Again, the site has been updated to answer this question. 14-day trial which is great.

New question: Any chance of offering free shipping on the initial roll-out or for pre-orders I know Gemini did this and I think it helped greatly to get the product in to new hands.

I am excited about the light! Looks very promising...
    Last edited by cdalemike; 12-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast