Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfish View Post
    Yep, same here, i received it last week and have charged it fully but still remains at the 80% level....
    I havn't tried going out on a full charge for a couple of hours and running it down though, the problem is probably just with the battery guage circuit not the batterys themselves.
    Perhaps with some spare time, I can time the output to get a better indicator to your theory. I do hope you're right

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've also noticed the gauge changes depending on the mode so it probably depends on the current for the indicator circuit level and relates to how its programmed rather than a battery capacity problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    I've also noticed the gauge changes depending on the mode so it probably depends on the current for the indicator circuit level and relates to how its programmed rather than a battery capacity problem.
    It appears not to be the case as I had tried all 3 light settings with the same results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    It appears not to be the case as I had tried all 3 light settings with the same results.
    When the battery level is discharged quite a bit to about 40-50% and you change to the lowest mode it goes back to higher indicator level because its monitoring the voltage which also relates to run-time. Its still likely a programming related bug the threshold for 100% needs to be changed.

Cellphones have programming issues like this all the time for signal bar strength as its an arbitrary analog indicator for a number value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As for the thread of the bolt , which tights the holder be it for helmet, be it for the bars, you could , instead of oil , you could try teflon thread tape for plumpers , to make it tightier and without using , let's say , thread lock glue ...

No. Just No. Moderator
    In Vancouver, BC Canada I received my light on Jan 31st, after a little bit of of hijinks for a day with DHL courier. Not too bad though.

Love the light so far just breaking it out of the package and setting it up on my bike, but first trail ride is tonight! Bar mount for now (default spot+flood config), with Gemini Xera (spot) on helmet. I was thinking of putting a bit of carbon assembly paste around the o-rings to give a bit of friction for the bolt, but with bar setup once I set the approximate angle and then tighten with hex I can rotate the mount footing on the bar anyhow to fine tune the angle so it's not really a concern for me.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey

It's good to see everyone is finally getting their lights - albeit with a few teething problems.

It's also great to hear all the positive feedback.

Be assured we are taking these teething problems onboard and working frantically to sort these issues before we head into larger scale production.

Some issues are easy fixed and as mentioned are QC problems. Others, which some people consider an issue and others do not will be assessed over time (throw, beam spread etc).

Mounting Bolt
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

The issue was the o-ring between the mount and the housing. The one that was provided with the light is a little too small. 0.68mm to be exact.

To remedy this all it takes a quick trip to the hardware store to pickup 1 x O-ring #105 (ID 5/32 OD 11/32 Thickness (CS) 3/32). This will slip tightley over the small stub axle on the mount and provide the right amount of pressure for the screw and mount to move together without loosening.

Result - mount/screw and outer o-ring move independently to the inner o-ring and housing. The inner o-ring is essentially the bearing surface/provides friction and pressure to ensure the screw does not loosen.

When tightening the screw, this needs to be done with a tool until firm - I would supply a torque rating but my wrench is out of action!

Once set, it should be good until you need to change the mounts to switch between helmet/bar.

I hope that's clear. If not, just try the difference is amazing!

New lights should be supplied with the slightly larger o-ring.

Battery Indication
    We have had a few reports of the battery gauge indication dropping immediately to 80%. We have completed some additional testing and have found some imperfections in the inidcation circuit. This is separate to the overcharging circuit so there is no safety issues there. You will also notice that depending on the current being drawn the level will also change. The battery still takes a full charge and exhibits the reliabilty of the panasonic cells from which it is built. The indication will still show the discharge trend, however it is not as accurate as we anticipated during tests.

Please also remember that the light itself will warn the user when the battery reaches critical voltage by emmitting a flash sequence.

Development We have sourced a new battery management chip similar to that in most cellphones, however it is not constant - it learns as the light is used. The inidcation will also be changed to time based and will obviously change depending on the current being drawn. Much more user friendly.

Soldering/Thermal Paste
    The issue being expereienced here is directly linked to QC (Quality Control). This will addressed.

Switch Velcro
    The current soluition works well in some scenarios, however in others it's not so user-friendly. We will be supplying adhesive velcro dots in the future to assist with the placement of the switch.

Shipping
    Chinese NY really provided us with a challenge. We now have stock in the US and NZ for shipping withing 24hrs of order. Depending on location from these locations it should now take a max of 5 days for delivery. Additionally we are working with some distributors in the USA/AUS/UK so the X2 will be available through these supply lines in the future.

Beam
    This has been a good topic of discussion and one that will always be had when talking about lights. Some posters have stated what we discovered during testing and optic selection - in such a small package it is hard to get a huge throw and also difficult to focus the beam. We felt that the dual spot solution is a good comprimise between the both - this is not just based on 'wall testing'. The beam was thoroughly tested at my local trails which involve tight/open/fast/slow tracks, plus drops and jumps. However my fellow testers and I are not everyone.

Development We will continue to develop and investigate possible solutions to improve the light and this includes the beam - both spread and throw (Continual development/improvement is the key - is it not?). Investigation and development will continue.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 02-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Almost forgot to mention that I was interested to see how the remote could be placed in a user-friendly fashion with my grip shift setup (a previous poster had expressed concern). I wrapped the supplied thin width velcro around my brake clamp (X-ed over from one side of the clamp to the other). Puts the remote in a perfect position where I can keep my hand on the grip and easily/quickly slide my thumb over the lip of the shifter housing to operate the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Switch Velcro
    The current solution works well in some scenarios, however in others it's not so user-friendly. We will be supplying adhesive velcro dots in the future to assist with the placement of the switch.

Action LED Lights
    If you having a problem with the remote button slipping around the bar, try wrapping the bar with friction tape. (it's what they wrap baseball bats with for better grip) This also works great where the light mounts.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member

Beam
    This has been a good topic of discussion and one that will always be had when talking about lights. Some posters have stated what we discovered during testing and optic selection - in such a small package it is hard to get a huge throw and also difficult to focus the beam. We felt that the dual spot solution is a good comprimise between the both - this is not just based on 'wall testing'. The beam was thoroughly tested at my local trails which involve tight/open/fast/slow tracks, plus drops and jumps. However my fellow testers and I are not everyone.

Development We will continue to develop and investigate possible solutions to improve the light and this includes the beam - both spread and throw (even in our eyes it could be better!). Investigation and development will continue.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Bruce, Thanks for all the feedback.

I haven't gotten my X2 yet but when it comes I'll be sure to give you some feedback concerning the beam pattern issue ( whither it be good or bad ). I have lots of stuff to compare it with including two standard drop-in XM-L torches and of course a Bikeray IV.
    If I get good *usable throw out to 100ft while on the bars I will be happy. Anything beyond that will be icing on the cake. ( I really am not hard to please )

( *usable throw = the ability of a lamp to clearly illuminate a known obstacle or trail feature at a set distance. )

Note: Almost all of my drop-in torches will throw ( usable throw ) out to 150ft when on high. I really don't expect the X2 to match this because of the size of the X2's optics however I am hopefully that it will exceed my expectations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Received my light safe and sound as of Jan 31st in Toronto Canada. Upon running down the battery and recharging it overnight, the battery indicator only shows 80% charged when fresh pulled from wall plug. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?
    Yep, same problem here...

mtbr member
    Hey

Battery Indication
    We have had a few reports of the battery gauge indication dropping immediately to 80%. We have completed some additional testing and have found some imperfections in the inidcation circuit. This is separate to the overcharging circuit so there is no safety issues there. You will also notice that depending on the current being drawn the level will also change. The battery still takes a full charge and exhibits the reliabilty of the panasonic cells from which it is built. The indication will still show the discharge trend, however it is not as accurate as we anticipated during tests.

Please also remember that the light itself will warn the user when the battery reaches critical voltage by emmitting a flash sequence.

NZ
    *Don't rule out taking a look at your charger... same type of tolerance issues can occur there. It's not unreasonable to see some variation in the amount of "full charge" that the charger "thinks" it has just put on the battery. Using a "learning" fuel gauge may only mask a problem with the charger and result in shorter-than-expected run times despite the "full" indication.

*Is the flash sequence a one-time event or does it occur continually once the threshold is crossed? If you happen to be bombing down hill at the time with this as the only light (not a good idea by the way) would the rider have issues navigating with the flash sequence? How much time remains after the "critical voltage" warning. What happens if you try to turn the light back on after it has automatically shut off?

Good move on the silicon o-rings... nitrile hates ozone and UV.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    *Don't rule out taking a look at your charger... same type of tolerance issues can occur there. It's not unreasonable to see some variation in the amount of "full charge" that the charger "thinks" it has just put on the battery. Using a "learning" fuel gauge may only mask a problem with the charger and result in shorter-than-expected run times despite the "full" indication.
    Good suggestion. Have had the engineers check out the charger and it's 100% spot on. Plus actual runtime tests have exceeded our quoted runtimes by abnout 10% in most cases. Whilst no a huge problem, it still is an inconvenience that we are working to provide a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    *Is the flash sequence a one-time event or does it occur continually once the threshold is crossed? If you happen to be bombing down hill at the time with this as the only light (not a good idea by the way) would the rider have issues navigating with the flash sequence? How much time remains after the "critical voltage" warning. What happens if you try to turn the light back on after it has automatically shut off?

Good move on the silicon o-rings... nitrile hates ozone and UV.
    The flash sequence is a quick sequence that occurs once. It is not an off/on/off flash but a low/high/low sequence just enough for the user to recognise and take action if required.

At this stage the light will begin to drop current slowly dimming the light until shut-off voltage (6.2v) is reached. If left the process takes apprx 5min.

Alternatively if the user manually lowers the power (current) of the light after the flash sequence, the light will remain at that set brightness until the programmed battery voltage vs set power level current is acehieved - it will then commence the automatic current drop.

If the light shuts off automatically, it will stay shut off unless the battery voltage suddenly rises above the threshold of 6.2v (unlikely).

Moral of the story here....always carry a spare battery or light - just in case!

night riding enthusiast

Good job! X2 Beamshots at last.

I have been enjoying my X2s this week. Trying them out every night, even though its only 1C outside and the wind is at 20 - 30 kph!

I have the beamshots for the following:

X2 with spot^2
    X2 with elliptical^2

Just for fun, both X2s at the same time.

For comparison: Magicshine MJ-816 (original P7 version).

X2s were set to trail programme.

X2 Beamshot Gallery

Photos were taken here looking in a West by Northwest direction along the path closest to the river. The trees on the right of the path are visible in the photos.

The place where the path splits is approximately 120m ahead from where the photo was taken and is clearly visible in the picture with both X2s on simultaneously.

Camera settings:

Due to strong wind buffeting the camera, I was forced to modify the settings slightly (but of course maintained the same exposure value. So apologies for the double vision in some of the shots.

Anyway:

Nikon D7000, natural rendition, long expose noise reduction (mild), Active D-Lighting off.

F4 3 sec ISO 200 sunlight (c.f. std. settings F4 6 sec ISO 100)

Lens is 28mm on Nikon DX sensor, cropping factor of 1.5 making 35mm film equiv. 42mm focal length. (just a little wider than "natural vision")

The camera was located 2.5m behind the light heads and elevated 50cm above the plane of light.

Notable Distance Markers:

On the left of the path, there are spaced poles, about 3m apart.

The first pole visible on the left is 6m in front of the bike.

The fence posts on the right are 2.2 m apart.

The path itself is a touch under 8m wide. The Centre line is 60cm wide.

There are three tall, pale pink flags visible to the left. The nearest is at 30m, the second 60m and the third, 120m flag is located right in the middle of the photos, at the point where the path splits, between the two routes.

Observations:

I stand corrected regarding the subtlety of the differences between the dual-spots and the dual-ellipticals. There is a difference between the two beams, although it's still not that visible when moving in a crowded environment.

Dual spot is of course more forward throwing with less peripheral light.

However, the gain in throw from the dual spot does not seem as significant as the increase in local lighting gained by the elliptical lenses.

The key differences are clearly visible at 100 - 300 and 900 lm where the elliptical lens light seems brighter and wider without compromising much throw.

On boost settings, however, the ultimate lack of throw of the ellipticals is obvious.

Notice that the "spot" lens illuminates the very top of the second tree on the right of the photos, whereas the elliptical lens illuminates the top of the first tree!

These throw really wide beams.

For comparison, I added a three shots with my trusty old 816.

One can see that the 816 is far tamer and more controlled. The ellipticals keep the light in a nice, tight, horizontal band which is very usable on roads with oncoming bike and foot traffic. Notice how tight the spot beam from the central P7 is.

The last two photos are cropped from the main series and show the throws of the spot-spot on Boost and the 816 with both flood and spot on.

It is clear that the 816 has greater throw, which is surprising, since the X2 was claimed to have better throw than the Titan, which has equivalent throw to the 808 which is known to be better than the 816... (if you follow )

Light color is a little warmer, and feels green tinged for some reason after coming from the P7 & XP-Es.

Stuff not in the photos:

I love their size, the build quality, their ergonomics and the ease with which one can change the program from, say, commuter to trail.

Two of them on the bars is an insane amount of light... Just for fun I stuck both on boost and
    ran to the other end of the practically unlit carpark, as I ran, my shadow was cast right up to the 11th floor of the apartment at the far end of the carpark like a ginormous shadow puppet.

When I turned around, it looked like a scene from Close Encounters of the The Third Kind. I could literally see nothing but the lights. Serious overkill on the road and quite dangerous, I'm sure.

Back to reality, though, the elliptical^2 set to commuter flash is seriously attention-grabbing at even the busiest of junctions, so that is going to stay on my bars for good.

However, the lack of throw and control compared to the cheap-shite 816 is somewhat disappointing so I'm going to have to consider what to do next, since using the fugly 816 AND another light is just silly.

Anyway... better get back to work... Let me know if you have any questions or want me to retake some photos.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Almost forgot to mention that I was interested to see how the remote could be placed in a user-friendly fashion with my grip shift setup (a previous poster had expressed concern). I wrapped the supplied thin width velcro around my brake clamp (X-ed over from one side of the clamp to the other). Puts the remote in a perfect position where I can keep my hand on the grip and easily/quickly slide my thumb over the lip of the shifter housing to operate the remote.
    I can't follow... Do you have a shot of the set-up?

mtbr member
    Good suggestion. Have had the engineers check out the charger and it's 100% spot on. Plus actual runtime tests have exceeded our quoted runtimes by abnout 10% in most cases. Whilst no a huge problem, it still is an inconvenience that we are working to provide a better solution.

The flash sequence is a quick sequence that occurs once. It is not an off/on/off flash but a low/high/low sequence just enough for the user to recognise and take action if required.

At this stage the light will begin to drop current slowly dimming the light until shut-off voltage (6.2v) is reached. If left the process takes apprx 5min.
    Good info to know.
    I assume "the charger" that was tested was only a single sample? I'm just saying, you might only have 1 out of 50 that's marginally bad, so it might be worth a bit of "random" spot testing out of a larger lot, which you may have already done. I'm sure the folks who'd want to use separate batteries without a power meter might appreciate a bit longer than 5 minutes warning. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So those of you that have tried the X2, do you recommend it?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey,

We've had a bit of feedback saying the light is much smaller than it looks in the pictures.

Here is shot that hopefully helps out the perception...

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    edit: don't worry

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bruce, it looks like there are a quite a few issues with the new X2. When, realistically will these issues be addressed and should I hold off my purchase until later? Are you going to notify us of when each of the issues are fixed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    I have been enjoying my X2s this week. Trying them out every night, even though its only 1C outside and the wind is at 20 - 30 kph!

I have the beamshots for the following:

X2 with spot^2
    X2 with elliptical^2

Just for fun, both X2s at the same time.

For comparison: Magicshine MJ-816 (original P7 version).

X2s were set to trail programme.

X2 Beamshot Gallery

...... the lack of throw and control compared to the cheap-shite 816 is somewhat disappointing so I'm going to have to consider what to do next, since using the fugly 816 AND another light is just silly.

Anyway... better get back to work... Let me know if you have any questions or want me to retake some photos.
    GraXXor, Thanks for taking the time to do the beam photos. I agree with most of your observations. The MJ-816 is well known for it's decent over-all beam pattern. Since the main P-7 is using a good size reflector, it is not surprising that it has the better throw.

It was difficult to judge the distance on the spot/spot photo of the X2. What I did was look to the left and count the poles to the point were I felt it had it's maximum ( usable) throw.
    I estimated it to be about 33 meters ( or 108 ft. ) Though not fantastically impressive throw wise, it should make a decent bar lamp. I couldn't help but notice the surface of the trail there. It looks like it's painted gray. In comparison the grass to the left appeared to be lit up much better, which of course is somewhat strange. Perhaps the grey trail is not so great for night riding (?)

I think one of things that Gloworm might look into is replacing the optics with custom reflectors. That or a combo, one reflector , one optic...that just might do it. Also it was mentioned that there is a secondary clear lens outside the optic. That would not be good for maximum light output. Basically just another mm or so of material for the light to have to pass through. Nope, do away with the optics ( or at least one ) and replace with a good reflector that uses an outer lens that has a reflective-free coating. When I get mine I might see if I can retro-fit a reflector myself. I have a nice 20mm reflector on one of my Yezi XM-L torches....do you think that would fit?

Anyway, I should have mine by next Tuesday according to the recent FedEx smartpost update. Bad enough they had it moved to three different places in NJ, then it went to Pa. and NOW it's in transit to where I live. ( note, the original N.J. location was about 200 miles away! ) So far its taken over a week to go half that distance. I'm a patient fellow but this is killing me. ( FedEx...you suck.. ) If this had been sent "Priority Mail " via USPS I would of had it last Wednesday!
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 02-03-2012 at 03:23 AM.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jase.paluzzi View Post
    So those of you that have tried the X2, do you recommend it?
    I have ridden over 100km with two of them on the bars now and I really love them.

The ergonomics are top notch. The multiple modes are really easy to use and changing between them is straightforward and you can learn to do it in about 10 seconds.

The versatility and interchangeability of the lenses just adds to the fun and interest of this light unit.

The o-ring is really tightfitting and in my experience hasn't shifted at all although I don't ride much off-road but I imagine it's far more stable than some of the larger heavier lights.

The Velcro bits which come with the power switch are not that useful but with some glue-backed Velcro, things are much better.

The side bolts do tend to come loose a little bit from time to time but I have found that now I've picked the correct angle that I like to use for my rides I have no more need to adjust it any more and have just set the bolt tight and left it.

When judged as a bar floodlight, I would have to give it 10 out of 10.

The amount of light is absolutely massive for such a tiny package and the beam is full and smooth over its entire range.

The pricing of this unit is really keen and well-placed I think it's perfectly poised to pick up the low end of the market and have basically a lot of it to itself.

Paired with a decent spotlight of your choosing on the helmet and I think you've got the perfect setup for a reasonable price.

Finally the unit is just really fun to use. I don't know why but I prefer it to over my other lights. Just on its styling and appearance it really is a great night to have on the bars, it takes a very little space weighs very little and is one of the least intrusive lights I've seen.

To be honest, what makes this all the more remarkable is the fact that it's still just a 1.0 release product which means that it's the first of its kind. And I'm sure things are you going to get better for the Gloworm X2 versions say 1.1 1.2 in the future. All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to future developments and I think Gloworm is going to be a company to keep your eyes on.

Moreover although there won't be any data on durability for some time, from reading the feedback and so on that the members of the Gloworm team have put on this forum I have come to the conclusion that this is a company we can trust, and can trust them to stand behind their products and provide support going into the future.

So, can I recommend this light? Of course I can, I give it a full hearted recommendation.

I'm sitting here writing this rather than going out for a ride... So I'm going to get my lights on my bike and head off again for another ride. The nights-a-waiting and 'tis dark outside!
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    It was difficult to judge the distance on the spot/spot photo of the X2. What I did was look to the left and count the poles to the point were I felt it had it's maximum ( usable) throw.
    I estimated it to be about 33 meters ( or 108 ft. ) Though not fantastically impressive throw wise, it should make a decent bar lamp. I couldn't help but notice the surface of the trail there. It looks like it's painted gray. In comparison the grass to the left appeared to be lit up much better, which of course is somewhat strange. Perhaps the grey trail is not so great for night riding (?)

I think one of things that Gloworm might look into is replacing the optics with custom reflectors. That or a combo, one reflector , one optic...that just might do it. Also it was mentioned that there is a secondary clear lens outside the optic. That would not be good for maximum light output. Basically just another mm or so of material for the light to have to pass through. Nope, do away with the optics ( or at least one ) and replace with a good reflector that uses an outer lens that has a reflective-free coating. When I get mine I might see if I can retro-fit a reflector myself. I have a nice 20mm reflector on one of my Yezi XM-L torches....do you think that would fit?
    I judged it usable a little further out, say 36 - 40m... reasonable but not ideal for a spot.

As for the color of the track, it's fairly new tarmac, same as any newly repaired road. It actually looks darker in daylight than it does in the photo. Just looks grey from the extreme lighting, I guess. Yes, the grass is far brighter than the tarmac In Japan, grass in winter is mostly yell and ivory, very little verdant green. I took the beamshots from a road-rider's perspective, since that's the sort of terrain I use it in most.

I'd love a couple of reflectors in it, I measure the optics themselves to be about 17mm, held in a kind of plastic frame, so totally just over 20mm, I'd say.

More shots coming soon.

I really *am* going out for a ride now... I'm taking my D7000, Tripod, pair of X2s and heading into Tokyo for some "real" road riding!

Expect some serious urban terrain for the next batch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey, does that Nikon shoot video, thats something I'd like to see!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hopefully helps out the perception...
    My main perception is still this product being a shameless and blatant copy of the Lupine Piko ...

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast