Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFest View Post
    Got my Gloworm V2s yesterday. I ordered two complete sets on 4/10, so they were about 3 weeks getting to me (Maryland, USA; Vag apologized for the backup in orders). I spent the evening experimenting with the modes and riding around my backyard. These are my first riding lights, so I don't have much else to go on. But right off the bat, I LOVE these things! The size, the modes, the output, the packaging, the toggle button -- you can tell it's all been painstakingly thought through and created to please the consumer. Looking forward to spending a couple hours on the trails tonight!
    Congrats on your new lights! I just got an email from Vag saying mine would be shipping this week or next, so they are still a ways away. I've got a V1, so can't wait to compare the V2. Enjoy your ride!

Light freak

Had to pull this one back up from the bottom of the page

Curious, so how is everyone one getting along with their V2 GlowWorms upgrades? Have not heard anything from any original V1 owners. Cat, Graxxor - you guys receive yours yet? Figured you two would be the first to get them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Mine was sent a week ago, still waiting for it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still waiting on mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Still waiting on mine.
    Still waiting on mine, too! I did get an email with a tracking number, so at least it's on its way

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Still waiting on mine, too! I did get an email with a tracking number, so at least it's on its way
    Hey Everyone,

We have been a bit quiet lately due to reasons discussed in previous posts. But we are back!

7 specials have already been sent and the other 20 will be sent tomorrow night. We had a small delay with some components which we needed to refine before getting you the new product.

You'll be pleased to know there are already a few X2 version 2 customers out there and they all love the product. It's significantly brighter and more focussed and for those who will have a V1 and V2 soon the combo is perfect!

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

'...it's more fun with the lites on!'

mtbr member
    Still no shipping notification.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is there a way to wire this directly into a 12v battery on a motorcycle? Anyone? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    7 specials have already been sent and the other 20 will be sent tomorrow night. We had a small delay with some components which we needed to refine before getting you the new product
    Guess I'm one of the lucky 7 - I got mine today! Received the tracking number on Monday, delivered on Thursday, that's really good, faster than I expected.

Going to try it out on a ride tonight, very interested to see how it compares to v1. My first impression is that, from a distance, they look the same - and that's a good thing! v2 kept the same small form factor and high quality construction. The light head is just a tad taller and deeper to accommodate the new optics. In my daytime hallway comparison, v2 was noticeably whiter and brighter. Can't wait to see how they compare on the trail!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just got my light, it's the middle of the day here at the moment so difficult to really say much.
    Have shone both the V1 and V2 on a wall inside my house, the V2 has a definitely brighter and contained hot spot than the V1 which is a kinda vague spot. Also, shining the V1 on a wall in a dark room on Boost (1000 lumen in commuter mode) and then overlapping the V2 beam on top of it on low (300 lumen in commuter mode) the V2 can still be easily seen and is brighter than the 1000 lumen.

Will need to wait till its dark before can do anything meaningful outside, but so far so good!

mtbr member
    Shipping confirmation received. ( about time... )

Now I just have to hope that Fed Ex ( or whoever ) doesn't ship it all over the east coast like before. Last time it took almost a week to just go what should of been 118 miles.

night riding enthusiast
    Still waiting for mine to arrive in Japan (says shipped as of three days ago)... Should be coming on Monday or Tuesday.

I went out with my single remaining X2(v1) and swapped the optics to dual flood. But it's really just too much flood for road riding. I may change it back to double elliptical, which seems to direct the beam much more efficiently into a wide oval.

The 300lm V2 being as bright as the 1000lm V1 sounds promising, as my X2(v1) is seriously out thrown by the Magicshine P7 816 which is now a permanent installation on my lid.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post

The 300lm V2 being as bright as the 1000lm V1 sounds promising, as my X2(v1) is seriously out thrown by the Magicshine P7 816 which is now a permanent installation on my lid.
    Not sure about overall brightness yet, but certainly just shining it on a wall from about 3m away you can easily see the hotspot of the V2 over the V1, could also be a slighly different colour tint that empasises the difference.
    Definately more throw on the V2, I have spot/spot in my V1 and spot/ flood in my V2 and the V2 still easily out throws it. I havent tried my Magicshine 808 yet though to see how the V2 compares with throw although the 808 still has a much larger deeper reflector so not sure if really a fair comparisson.

A good combo I think would be V1 spot/spot on the bars and V2 spot/spot on the lid.

The only thing I notice with the V2 is that the beam pattern of the flood optic is fairly square (due to the LED die presumably) and not as bright as the spot optic which gives two distinctive areas of brightness, whereas the V1 flood or even spot just had a big broad beam of light with no discernable difference between spot and flood beam patterns giving a nice smooth transition. The V1 tends to light everything up from your toes to the tops of the trees evenly where the V2 beam starts out a little bit further due to the more pronounced squarish beam pattern.

I'm yet to ride it on the road, so all this is just back yard testing at the moment.
    Running both V1 and V2 is just a wall of light but think I will just stick with the V2 on the bars at the moment.

Hope you guys get your soon, will be interested to hear comments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A couple of quick and dirty photos of beam comparison between the V1 on 300 lumen commuter mode with Spot / Spot combo and V2 on 300 lumen commuter mode with Spot / Flood combo. These were done on a slightly off white wall inside my house.

V1 S/S
    Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-v1_ss.jpg

V2 S/F
    Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-v2_sf.jpg

V1 on the left, V2 on the right
    Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-v1_ss_v2_sf.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks tb123, that looks like a nice improvement especially considering it is the V1 spot/spot up against the V2 spot/flood. I look forward to receiving my version 2 Gloworm light to see the difference in person.

mtbr member
    Looks like mine has shipped - to bad its sitting in Richmond BC - Canada with a destination address in Vancouver Canada instead of Vancouver Washington USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    Looks like mine has shipped - to bad its sitting in Richmond BC - Canada with a destination address in Vancouver Canada instead of Vancouver Washington USA
    Oh crap. LOL. I'm up in Bellingham so I see why it could happen
    "It looks flexy"

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Hello,

@ Ed: I am already taking personal care of this

As I can see in the tracking numbers most of the lights have been received or are to be received today.

Cheers,
    Vag
    Gloworm Website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hello,

@ Ed: I am already taking personal care of this

As I can see in the tracking numbers most of the lights have been received or are to be received today.

Cheers,
    Vag
    Yep, Mine came today but I wasn't up when the man came knocking. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow on the return try.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    @ Vag / Bruce
    I sent you a pm with a few questions and forgot to ask about the voltage requirements on your charger, I could not find it on your sight. is it 110, 240 or compatable with both

night riding enthusiast

Good job! Mucho Lightage!

Wayhey! Mine came today!

The packaging and accessories are the same, quality offerings as before... except with extra sticky velcro spots for the remotes.

The lighthead is a couple of mils deeper and a couple of mils larger overall to house the new optics.
    The spot optics are crystal clear and things of beauty, unlike the iffy (am I being rude) spot optics that came with V1, which appeared a little clouded and rough around the edges.

The anodizing appears glossier and looks more expensive than I remember with V1s.
    Remote and cable seem to be the same...

Internally, the light is MUCH better. The solder is neat in both units, there is no spilt heat paste. QC has been lifted noticeably, well done!

The battery casing feels semi-rubberised and hard. It is neat and the power LEDs are clear and easy to read. The connector is solid and thankfully a little bendy, which means it will still be usable if it gets bent or misshaped.

The charger is small and neat but only gives out 1.5A, perhaps leading to relatively length recharge times.

There was a politely handwritten note of complements from Vag and a little "sorry" for the inconvenience of one of my V1s suffering premature death... An unexpected and welcome touch. Very thoughtful.

Anyway onto this evening's antics...

I strapped one onto the bar next to my V1 and the other on the helmet.

So my setup was like this:

V1 (Spot^2) + V2 (Spot^2) on the bars with V2 (Spot+Wide) + MS-816 on the helmet ( ← just for this test, ok... I'm not that hooked on lumens ;-) ).

The helmet lights were running off a Y cable to the very nicely packaged Gloworm battery and the bar lights were each running off a vanilla BAK powered Magicshine 4400.

Holy Mother of Brian! The V2s are BRIGHT and TIGHT!

My V1 was completely washed out, By that, I mean the V2 on 900 + V1 on 1200 boost felt like the V2 on 1200 boost by itself, the V1 spot^2 was THAT overawed.

The V1 became so pointless that after 5 mins I went back to my shop and replaced the spots with (elliptical^2) optics left over from my defunct V1 to try a different approach.

Bingo!

The combination of V2 spot^2 and V1 elliptical is something to behold.

The behemoth V1 style oval flood with the ellipticals is perfectly adjustable for close-range lighting on technical/windy sections and the V2 gives SERIOUS throw for road/fast sections with a nice, firm transition between centre hotspot and surrounding spill.

Un-effing believable!

With the V1/V2 on the bars, I completely forgot about my helmet lights. Up until now, even with 2 V1s on the bars (spot^2 + elliptical^2) I had really missed the throw of the deep-cup OP P7, and found myself turning it on whenever I hit a straight...

But tonight... Nothing... Seriously nothing. In the all-but-pitch-black of the Arakawa riverside (doté in Japanese), I turned the MS-816 spot on just for fun and the beam was completely subsumed by the V1/V2 combo on the bars. It was only visible when I turned my head to either side and peered into the darkness.

On the other hand, XP-E pair of ellipticals on the 816 were a marginally more useful for their wide spread as proximity lighting when I climbed a twisty section of river bank on the Doté.

I then remembered that I had mounted another V2 on the helmet and switched it on.

The Wide/Spot lens combo produced a smooth beam from strong hotspot to gentle spill with zero artificing.

Again, it definitavely overawed the P7 which was completely lost in the V2s output.

Another nice, perhaps unintended side-effect of the spot^2 V2 is that the beam is square! No, really... It's square! With a round hotspot. This is REALLY useful on the road, it's almost like having a shaped beam: There is no really bright spot near to the front wheel and there is no ridiculous up-lighting going on.

Whenever I was standing for a steep uphill ascent, the V1 spot used to blind me, but the similarly angled V2 did not bother me at all. I believe I can attribute both these interesting advantages to the "squareness" of the beam. Also, there is less unnecessary side glare, too and I swear I got less looks from oncoming motorists that I used to do with the V1 spot^2... (this last one is subjective, I admit...)

In summary:

The V2 is so powerful that I rarely felt the need to run it on full power, unlike the V1s which were always pumped up to provide a modicum of throw.
    It is really bright, that I can't believe it's still rated at 1200lm. The V2 feels subjectively twice as bright as my old V1.

It's so bright that I am concerned about battery life. Will have to test...

The throw is super long, easily surpassing my big OP reflector based P7.

The spill is smooth with no artifacts even with spot^2 and does not appear to over-illuminate up close to the bike.
    The spot/wide combo gives a lovely, smooth beam with a more gentle transition between spot and a fuller spill, at the expense of a little throw.

The unit appears to have a new anodizing, glossier and higher quality looking than the V1. Let's hope it doesn't show the same silvering wear around the sharp bits that my V1 does.

Internally QC appears to be much tighter.

The remote button and cable looks identical, let's hope it has been reinforced .

The sticky velcro pads (I got 3) are ace and finally my buttons stayed where they were supposed to for a whole night (because I use a crappy twist shift, so I can't mount the buttons nicely with the regular velcro loops.

The unit has the same intuitive programming that the V1 had.

My MS-816 has been finally, comprehensively outclassed! Good bye.

All in all, nearly every gripe I remember having with the V1 has been addressed in full.... Except the O-ring bar mounts, which while being perfectly functional in that they are entirely solid and non-slippy, do not have a captive O-ring and the O-ring itself does not have a tab for easy fitting/removing. Both very minor points, I suppose.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night!

Anyway, I hope this was in some way helpful and I'm sorry I was too busy selfishly enjoying these lights to provide any of my usual beamshottage. (I will try to calm down a bit and take some tomorrow or over the weekend).

OK, I think I'm going to stop now before you all nod off.

Disclaimer:

Despite the glowing tone of this letter (sorry, couldn't resist...) and having no posts in any other forums other than Night Lighting and DIY Lights, I'm not a shill... I have no affiliation, have received neither gratuity nor otherwise and was not asked or goaded to write a review or perform any service for Gloworm. I am simply an (even more) satisfied customer.

My subjective, non expert rating for the V2: ★★★★★

If you have any comments, please reply or PM.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    V1 owner, agreed with the observations that TB 123 has posted. Received V2 yesterday! It appeared brighter and almost a hot spot beam with good spread. Good work Gloworm. Thanks!

night riding enthusiast

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by shiftless89 View Post
    @ Vag / Bruce
    I sent you a pm with a few questions and forgot to ask about the voltage requirements on your charger, I could not find it on your sight. is it 110, 240 or compatable with both
    The charger I received is a compact, US/Japan two-pin plug, travel charger (i.e. 100-250v capable).

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Well this is cool - DHL showed my package in Canada last night and I just came into my office and there is a DHL package on my desk No idea how it got from there to here this fast but guess i'll be able to try it out tonight on my ride

Ed

mtbr member
    May 2005
    but guess i'll be able to try it out tonight on my ride

Ed
    Hey Ed, I'm in the same area as you. where do you nightride?

mtbr member
    Wayhey! Mine came today!

The packaging and accessories are the same, quality offerings as before... except with extra sticky velcro spots for the remotes.

The lighthead is a couple of mils deeper and a couple of mils larger overall to house the new optics.
    The spot optics are crystal clear and things of beauty, unlike the iffy (am I being rude) spot optics that came with V1, which appeared a little clouded and rough around the edges.

The anodizing appears glossier and looks more expensive than I remember with V1s.
    Remote and cable seem to be the same...

Internally, the light is MUCH better. The solder is neat in both units, there is no spilt heat paste. QC has been lifted noticeably, well done!

Mine came today as well. My first impression: .... Mine looks exactly like the V1, no noticeable size difference save a clearer optic. Mine is the same size as the V1 which has me wondering. Not only that but I didn't get the other spot optic that I ordered. For some reason they sent me a charger which I have no need for as I ordered the light head only.

Grax, anyway you can take a picture of yours side by side with the older V1 to demonstrate the size difference? If I didn't know any better I swear I have another V1 but with different optics.

( * edit: The new one does look a bit longer but from the front they look about the same. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.

night riding enthusiast

Bonking ... not feelin' well Oh dear CMD

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Mine came today as well. My first impression: .... Mine looks exactly like the V1, no noticeable size difference save a clearer optic. Mine is the same size as the V1 which has me wondering. Not only that but I didn't get the other spot optic that I ordered. For some reason they sent me a charger which I have no need for as I ordered the light head only.

Grax, anyway you can take a picture of yours side by side with the older V1 to demonstrate the size difference? If I didn't know any better I swear I have another V1 but with different optics.
    Sorry, no camera tonight (it's 4am)

They do look similar, but no need for a photo... Put them side by side. You can tell the difference. The new unit is deeper: Just count the number of machined heat sink fins it has. My V1 had 8 fins. My V2 had 9. There are other subtle differences, like the gap between the front cover and the first heatsink fin.

The optics look bigger, and indeed they are, but it's not much to do with the size of the housing, it's just because the new optics don't come with the silly plastic insert to hold them in place.

If you have a crystal clear (and I mean clear) optic and a slightly smokey one, you have the new unit.

I'm sure you got a new one. Is it brighter and more focused?

I hope they come through with the spare optic. Mine came in a little ziplock bag.

I really need to go to bed.

I chose the sad-looking purple icon for this post... But the phrase "bonking" in England means having sex... hmmm...

night riding enthusiast

( * edit: The new one does look a bit longer but from the front they look about the same. )
    Ah. You edited as I was writing.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Hey Cat

Our apologies for the mixup with the spot lens. We'll get it out as soon as humanly possible!

You shoud definetly have the X2 (version 2.0), we have no V1s left. The easiest check is the LED board - it has Gloworm X2 printed on it. Also if the new optics are sitting in the housing flush with a semi-circular cutout to support the node on the optic - you definetly have version 2.0.

Size wise they are only appx 1.6mm wider and about 3mm deeper, hence the extra cooling fin we added.

I know what it's like expecting something to turn up and then it doesn't as expected - it a real PITA. You'll get your spot optic soon.

Cheers and enjoy.

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Gloworm Website

mtbr member
    Cold Creek, 3 Corner Rock, Tarbell - pretty much anywhere i can get out to. I'm hitting Tarbell tonight if you are available.

Ed

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey Cat, you should be able to see the difference, the V2 appears a touch bigger in all directions, has a really clear spot optic and has a gloss anodizing rather than the matte anodizing on the V1 (personally I like the matte anodizing better but that is no issue either way). They are very similar, but its also easy to tell them apart.

Here are a few more photos for comparison.
    V1 on the left (Spot / Spot optic), V2 on the right (Spot / Flood)

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-img_2885.jpg

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-img_2887.jpg

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-img_2891.jpg

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-img_2892.jpg

Introducing Gloworm X2 - New Dual XM-L LED light system-img_2898.jpg
    Last edited by tb123; 05-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The charger I received is a compact, US/Japan two-pin plug, travel charger (i.e. 100-250v capable).

Hope that helps.
    More than helps, that was exactly the information is was looking for. Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Hey Cat, you should be able to see the difference, the V2 appears a touch bigger in all directions, has a really clear spot optic and has a gloss anodizing rather than the matte anodizing on the V1 (personally I like the matte anodizing better but that is no issue either way). They are very similar, but its also easy to tell them apart.
    Just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm convinced I've got the V2. For some reason I thought the new version was going to be noticeably larger. From what I'm measuring it may be about 2mm longer. Width and height I see no major difference. Basically I really don't care just as long as it works better which it seems to be doing ( at least at first glance ). It definitely has more of a hot spot even with one optic being flood.

Vag was very quick to contact me and has a spare spot optic on the way. If it's shipping from the east I should have it in a couple days. Tonight I'm too tired to play with it. Boss man practically killed me tonight. I'm not really a drinking person but I swear if I had a six in the fridge I'd be drinking um' tonight.

Thanks TB for taking the time to take the comparison photos.

mtbr member
    I received my new light too , thank you gloworm. I can definitely see the difference in beam pattern from the first version. Hopefully I can get out on a ride tonight to test it out. I ordered the extra spot lens too, but I will try it out with the stock flood/spot lens combo first.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cold Creek, 3 Corner Rock, Tarbell - pretty much anywhere i can get out to. I'm hitting Tarbell tonight if you are available.

Ed
    Excuse the OT for a moment

OK, pretty much the standard "local" trails. Bells Mountain as an out and back from Moulton Falls is another good "local" night ride. I also nightride at Hagg Lake and Browns Camp in the fall before they get too wet. Another fall treat is a late afternoon ride up Ape Canyon to the Plains of Abraham and to the sand ladders. Eat a snack and watch the sun set behind Mt. St. Helens. Then lights on and bomb back across the plains and down Ape Canyon.

mtbr member
    Tonight while on my job I had a chance to find a *nice secluded dark spot behind some buildings for shining the V2 around. ( *this is where I test a lot of my lights and torches...the buildings are 167 ft. long with a 15ft wide grassy back area backed by trees.)
    In this spot it is almost total darkness....When I turned the V2 on I had to pause to think about what I was looking at. Then I remembered that when the V2 first comes on it is in low mode ( trail program ). Basically 300 claimed lumen. I have to say, a very nice amount of light. Even at that level the beam reached to the end of the buildings. Definitely the V2 has more throw and mine has one flood optic. The upper modes were of course much better and yes it does look much brighter over-all as well. I can't wait for the weekend to come so I can take it for a ride. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather!

mtbr member
    Just got back from the second ride with the v2. Running it with spot/spot, simply this is soooo much better than the v1's.

I'm running 2 v1s on the bar and 1 v2 on the helmet, such a nice combination, the v1s light up just about everything close and v2 gives that distance throw on the fire trails and straight tracks.

Very impressed!

just a Newbie
    Got my version 2. The tint is more white and the beam is way much better. The overall lumen output on the 1200 setting is about 100 lumens more than the V1. However, with the better beam pattern, the overall effects make it seem so much more brighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mine came while I was away on vacation and I got home yesterday.

Question - is the V1 charger and battery the same as the V2 battery and charger if not what is the difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm pretty sure the battery and charger are the same apart from some improvements to the battery level indicator.

night riding enthusiast
    Damn I love my V2. When I got
    My V1 I was full of ideas about how I might improve it, and sent some emails
    To glowormlites and posted here.

But now I have my V2, I'm at a loss. What could I possibly say except for esoteric functions such as USB programmable modes or wireless remote. Ok so an elliptical optic
    Might be fun.

I honestly think that this is about as good as it gets. Throw and flood in finely tuneable balance. Bravo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I noticed the energy gauge does not indicate status (no lights on the battery) in the dim mode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys, I got an X2 around four weeks ago and have done around 10 hours of night riding (MTB, of course) since. Jeepers! It outshines my old lights big time. Now I can see the trail really well and shred at full pace through twisty single track. Fantastic! Most of the time I don't even need 1200 lumen but run it on 900 which is plenty.

One thing I am considering is ordering another spot optic just to see what it is like. I am running spot-flood at the moment and run the X2 on the helmet. Has anybody done spot-spot and do you prefer this to spot-flood?

Cheers!

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Germinator View Post
    Hi guys, I got an X2 around four weeks ago and have done around 10 hours of night riding (MTB, of course) since. Jeepers! It outshines my old lights big time. Now I can see the trail really well and shred at full pace through twisty single track. Fantastic! Most of the time I don't even need 1200 lumen but run it on 900 which is plenty.

One thing I am considering is ordering another spot optic just to see what it is like. I am running spot-flood at the moment and run the X2 on the helmet. Has anybody done spot-spot and do you prefer this to spot-flood?

Cheers!
    Yes, I use 900 lm almost exclusively and often the 300 lm mode if I'm using it with the one on my helmet. 2 V2s @ 300lm is fine for casual road use. It does make you laugh when you compare it to a 900 lm P7... it makes you wonder how many "real" lumens its throwing out.

mtbr member

The Double Whammy

CRAPAZOIDS....MINE IS MALFUNCTIONING!

Tonight after getting home from work I was preparing for my weekend ride with great anticipation. While going through the run down with my new items ( shoes, brakes, shifter cables...V2 light head ) The V2 went on the fritz.

Basically it seems the light won't turn off. When powering down it goes to what should be off but a little current is still going to the emitters. It flickers at a very low level of light. Regardless of what menu I choose it does the same in each menu. Very strange indeed. It worked last night without a hitch while shining it around. All I did was change the mount and put it on the bike. I suppose I could still use it as all the other modes seem to work fine but basically something is wrong on the circuit board and it's a big no, no to go out with something electronic not working as it should.

EDIT **NOTE: I was contacted by Gloworm within minutes of this post. Steps have been taken to resolve the issue. Cat.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-19-2012 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    CRAPAZOIDS....MINE IS MALFUNCTIONING!

Tonight after getting home from work I was preparing for my weekend ride with great anticipation. While going through the run down with my new items ( shoes, brakes, shifter cables...V2 light head ) The V2 went on the fritz.

Basically it seems the light won't turn off. When powering down it goes to what should be off but a little current is still going to the emitters. It flickers at a very low level of light. Regardless of what menu I choose it does the same in each menu. Very strange indeed. It worked last night without a hitch while shining it around. All I did was change the mount and put it on the bike. I suppose I could still use it as all the other modes seem to work fine but basically something is wrong on the circuit board and it's a big no, no to go out with something electronic not working as it should.

EDIT **NOTE: I was contacted by Gloworm within minutes of this post. Steps have been taken to resolve the issue. Cat.

please be sure to post the resolution to this. thanks

just a Newbie
    So far the only area for improvement is perhaps an option of a longer bar mount. My stem bar clamp is a little wide and the V2 bar mount will not clear the bar clamp when I tried to mount it on the center of the stem on my Specialized Hardrock MTB. The angle of the OEM bar is shaped such that mounting the light anywhere else beside center will make the light pointed either to the left or right. The V2 mount does not have adjustment to compensate left right so the only option is to mount it as closed to center as possible. It's close but the bottom or back of the V2 housing rubs against the stem clamps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftless89 View Post
    please be sure to post the resolution to this. thanks
    Oh you needn't worry about that. I have vacation at the end of the month and I want my new light. Unlike most people I have the option to use the V1 or a couple other lamps so I can't complain too much. I was told by Gloworm that a new lamp will go out on Monday. In the mean time I'll try not to sound like a spoiled rotten American. I will patiently wait. When the new one comes I'll be sure to post up.

Posted by Colleen:
    So far the only area for improvement is perhaps an option of a longer bar mount. My stem bar clamp is a little wide and the V2 bar mount will not clear the bar clamp when I tried to mount it on the center of the stem on my Specialized Hardrock MTB. The angle of the OEM bar is shaped such that mounting the light anywhere else beside center will make the light pointed either to the left or right. The V2 mount does not have adjustment to compensate left right so the only option is to mount it as closed to center as possible. It's close but the bottom or back of the V2 housing rubs against the stem clamps.
    I've noticed as well that there is not much clearance with the bar mount. Originally I was going to mount mine right over the stem/bar clamp but there was not enough room. For me it turned out not to be a problem as I just rotated the lamp more forward so it was almost parallel with the bar. Now if you go down too far it hits the bottom of the clamp but luckily the middle front is the sweet spot on my bikes. The option for a longer bar extension would be nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, I use 900 lm almost exclusively and often the 300 lm mode if I'm using it with the one on my helmet. 2 V2s @ 300lm is fine for casual road use. It does make you laugh when you compare it to a 900 lm P7... it makes you wonder how many "real" lumens its throwing out.
    Yes, I totally agree with you. The biggest surprise is the great output this little light has. I did a light shoot-out last night with a friend in a garage. His light also claims to have "1200 lumen". The X2's bright spot area was approximately four times the size of his lamp and when shining both lights at the same spot his light was virtually "lost" (i.e. we could not see where he was shining!). We could only just detect his light if he was moving it around within the bright area of the X2. So, I think Gloworm has been conservative in stating the lumen output of the X2 - plenty of punch in that little baby!

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Germinator View Post
    Yes, I totally agree with you. The biggest surprise is the great output this little light has. I did a light shoot-out last night with a friend in a garage. His light also claims to have "1200 lumen". The X2's bright spot area was approximately four times the size of his lamp and when shining both lights at the same spot his light was virtually "lost" (i.e. we could not see where he was shining!). We could only just detect his light if he was moving it around within the bright area of the X2. So, I think Gloworm has been conservative in stating the lumen output of the X2 - plenty of punch in that little baby!
    The 1200 Lumen 'claim' is one we stand by. It is a true measure based on optic and electronic efficiencies in addition to current supplied to the LEDs. We also took into account junction temperature of LEDs.

Although the stated output seems conservative we feel a little honesty goes a long way when stating the performance of a product. You don't get Toyota stating a car has a 3 litre engine when quite clearly it is only 2 litres!

Well done to Shannon (BajaDesigns) for posting the actual lumen capability of commonly used emmitters.

Some say we may lose sales by not keeping up with the ludicrous claims of other manufacturers. We say we will maintain our honest marketing and continue to listen to our customers.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    Gloworm Website