Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    I looked again at the dies of my 816's XP-E side pods... They are TINY, literally like pinpricks of light. I think they're really impressive considering the area they cover.

How on earth did you get unbinned LEDs from CREE? OK... I don't want to know
    Sheer dumb luck on my part... except that I've had the privilege of working with some super nice folks at Luxdrive and LEDsupply who really set me up. Highly recommend both of these companies.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Problem is that the double washer does not prevent the nut from loosening on the bar mount. After a couple of adjustments I'm forced to pull out my hex tool and tighten it.
    Hey GraXXor,

Try lubing the o-rings in slicone grease or cooking oil, this will help the bearing surface work as it was designed to do.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have got my two gloworms...

So I swapped out the flood half and replaced with another spot.

Unfortunately, due to an oversized solder blob, I was unable to fit the optic securely flush with the base. I also noticed that the first optic was not flush with the rear panel. I'd say that there was about a 1mm gap at the bottom of the optic, making it no longer parallel to the optic next to it.

Not too impressed. Moreover there was an abundance of heatsink paste which stuck the optics in place and made them difficult to move.

Still The beam pattern became much more usable. Less ceiling and floor lit, wider and about the same brightness overall, but with a more diffuse hotspot.

I took the two outside, spot spot and elliptical elliptical. Running them side by side, I'd again have to say that the difference is subtle rather than marked.

I have to say though, that I was underwhelmed with the twin spot.
    Spot is not really a word that can be used and shows the lack of maturity in the 20 something mm XM-L optics. The light is diffuse and I would say has much less throw than the OP ref P7 based 816 which is itself considered inferior to the original 808 P7 Bastid.
    Well, after a couple of night rides, i replaced the wide optic with the spot one, so i have two spots in now. I really don't now if you need a wide optic for a any bike use. As another member wrote, xm-l's size makes it really difficult for optics to provide a tight beam, however you get a very even distribution of light and a REALLY tiny build. Moreover, placing the light as high as you can, reduces the spread, be it on the bars (you can position the mount totally vertical) or the helmet. I suppose we could try some even tighter optics in there, but the lack of depth is the issue with throw.
    Practically, i see it as mostly a bar light, for general use and with a thrower light of same brightness it is a great trairiding combo. I used a triple xpg on the helmet....

About optics placement, i rotated the little optic until the solder blob found it's place under it. I don't understand how the wide optic did fit and the narrow doesn't though.....

night riding enthusiast
    Re not fitting optics... The initial optics did not fit either and have marked the inside of the plastic cover due to pressure, I suppose.

As for the elliptical optics, they can't be rotated so I was forced to hollow out a little hole in the optic holder frame (not the optic itself) to match the solder blob.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Graxxor, thanks for the continual updates.

WRT to XML emitters and optics I can't share any personal experience as of yet but know that the older XRE's and XPGs worked well when used in conjunction with optics especially when light engine volume is an issue. Granted the depth and width dimension of the X2 light head might not prove feasible with old school style reflectors but the XML and reflector combo as found on the 2012 Baja Design models work splendidly.

As Peter suggested earlier, you can blast out a huge amount of OTF lumens but how that is managed and translated by the actual reflector or optic into a beam pattern usable to the rider is becoming of greater importance.

night riding enthusiast

Another Night

No beamshots I'm afriad... it's 1 deg. C outside and I'm buggered if I can be bothered to whip out my tripod and DSLR in such a frigid clime.
    ANyway.. Just cycled about 8k, flipping between the elliptical and the spot.

To confirm: The elliptical appears far brighter at road level than the "spot".

I was parked in the carpark of my apartment and with the commuter flash set on to a spot lens setup. I started it flashing. I was less than 20m from the building, but I swear that the top (11th) floor lit up.

The spot beam is practically wasted in the city. The elliptical beam seemed to be equally blinding to pedestrians, but it does keep the light where needed.
    Last edited by GraXXoR; 01-31-2012 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Redonkulous? There's a new one Is that "good" redonkulous or "bad" redonkulous?

1500 lumens? Hmm... I tried both X2 on at the same time (Double spots on commuter boost 1000 lumens) and Double Elliptical on Trail Boost (1200 lumens). And Jeez Louise, I actually had to stop and burst out laughing! It's a serious WALL OF LIGHT. The white walls of the buildings, chrome car bumpers, reflective road signs, whitewashed culverts and other highlights were actually painful to look at. These little critters are BRIGHT. A woman with a dog came round the corner and literally froze before I turned the lights down.

TBH I was quite content with the commuter boost (1000lm) on the ellipticals alone, except that near field was a bit too bright for comfort when it reflected off of anything.

1000 real lumens is a really nice amount of light unless you're on a straight road patched with ice in the pitch black and bombing along. (like I was). 1200 is even better.

I think, that with a tighter optic, 1200lumens intelligently used would be very adequate, which seems to be a consensus among a number of home builders. Just upping the lumens will do nothing other than blind bystanders and the rider him/herself even more.

BTW... It doesn't use reflectors, it uses plastic optics...

'nother review coming after tonight's ride along the riverbank.
    Yep, 1100 lumen is adequate with my homebuilt quazzle on the helmet solo. I'd prefer more light, but it's adequate. Of course, we may be using them for different purposes. I use mine for AM trail riding and light freeride. All the 'features' I blast off in the day take on a whole new feeling at night.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey GraXXor,

Try lubing the o-rings in slicone grease or cooking oil, this will help the bearing surface work as it was designed to do.

Cheers

Bruce
    Just got my first unit in. Mine is very loose as well no matter how much finger force I use. I'll try cooking oil later but it already looks like there's something greasy on it. Btw guys, these lights are smaller then they appear from the photos in this thread. Gonna go for a ride later once the battery is charged up Too bad I don't have my MagicShine clones anymore for a direct beam shot comparison.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey GraXXor,

Cheers

Bruce
    Tried with machine oil, but the oil just made the screw come loose more easily. Still, I've tightened it up and set the position now, so hopefully no messing around any more.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
    Just got my first unit in. Mine is very loose as well no matter how much finger force I use. I'll try cooking oil later but it already looks like there's something greasy on it. Btw guys, these lights are smaller then they appear from the photos in this thread. Gonna go for a ride later once the battery is charged up Too bad I don't have my MagicShine clones anymore for a direct beam shot comparison.
    I own them and still find it difficult to judge the size. I'd say they're about the same size as my cateye wireless bike computer but twice as thick.

Seriously tiny. I think I should add a whole bike picture to show just how small, it's hard to judge from seeing just the bar pics.

I will try to get some beamshots with the 816 tonight.

night riding enthusiast
    Another observation is the front window which covers the two optics is made from a thin sheet of light plastic rather than glass, and looks easy to scratch. I can see them really getting scratched up by wiping off mud and dirt... Mine have already been marked on the insides by the rough edges of the plastic optics.

This will not be a big issue if they provide cheap spares in the future, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hello,

@Gloworm : The DHL number is wrong. May you send me the right number in private mail ?

Best regards

mtbr member
    This FedEx "Smart post" tracking is beginning to bother me. It keeps telling me the shipment will arrive Friday but the parcel hasn't moved since Monday.
    Sure would be nice to see an "In transit" indicator.

Meanwhile, Bossman is screwing with me by scheduling an early meeting for Friday. Not to mention changing my planned daily schedule around as well. I still don't know who to expect at my door even if I am lucky enough to be home when they come knocking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Meanwhile, Bossman is screwing with me by scheduling an early meeting for Friday. Not to mention changing my planned daily schedule around as well. I still don't know who to expect at my door even if I am lucky enough to be home when they come knocking.
    Its USPS. They'll just leave it at the door (at least that's what they did in my case along with something else I mail ordered via USPS the other day). Mine came yesterday - very tiny and powerful but I won't have a chance to try it on the trail right away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This FedEx "Smart post" tracking is beginning to bother me. It keeps telling me the shipment will arrive Friday but the parcel hasn't moved since Monday.
    Sure would be nice to see an "In transit" indicator.

Same here. I tried tracking my package yesterday, and according to DHL's web tracker, the parcel hasn't left hongkong. But lo and behold, the package arrived on my doorstep today.

Excellent light btw. Nice build quality all through out. Love the remote switch. I'd wish that they added a plastic loop at the end of the battery strap to make it more tight and secure. Bottomline, i'm happy with the X2.

just a Newbie
    You guys should consider yourself lucky if you received your light or will be receiving this week. Mine package left on Jan 27. It was picked up in a small town in NJ, then reached Keasbey,NJ, followed by Edison,NJ. It reached Allentown, Pa yesterday. Today it is in Martinsburg,WV.

Good grief! That's 5 city so far and it still in the east coast. By the time it gets here to CA, the package will probably be all crush. I get stuff from KD domain faster than this.

BTW, it was shipped Jan 27 and schedule for delivery Feb 8. I'm thinking this is kind of slow plus all the extra handling is excessive for a light, but thank God the lens is plastic as reported.

mtbr member
    My package is making a bunch of stops by fedex. The package is a three and a half hour drive away right now, but apparently it will take them another 5 days to get here according to their estimated delivery date. My package went to a lot of the same stops as colleen c's did and the estimated delivery date is the Jan 6, but I live in NY. As long as it arrives in in working condition I will be happy though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    You guys should consider yourself lucky if you received your light or will be receiving this week. Mine package left on Jan 27. It was picked up in a small town in NJ, then reached Keasbey,NJ, followed by Edison,NJ. It reached Allentown, Pa yesterday. Today it is in Martinsburg,WV.

Good grief! That's 5 city so far and it still in the east coast. By the time it gets here to CA, the package will probably be all crush. I get stuff from KD domain faster than this.

BTW, it was shipped Jan 27 and schedule for delivery Feb 8. I'm thinking this is kind of slow plus all the extra handling is excessive for a light, but thank God the lens is plastic as reported.
    Same story here, also coming to California (but scheduled for Feb 7, we shall see). I've never seen anything like the route this package it taking! So far, it's like they are delivering by bicycle (which would actually be pretty cool if it really was by bike instead of just seeming like it). It doesn't really matter what route it takes as long as it gets here, but it is amusing trying to imagine the logic behind the routing.

mtbr member
    Any word on the lights for aus/nz yet?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello guys,

Regarding the packages we were expecting it to be with you on Monday or Tuesday according to our drop shipper. Unfortunately this is not happening now. We can blame him but still not much will change.

It seems that we all have to wait. Those lights were shipped from our hands on the 18th and still they are not with you so we can share the same frustration.

Thanks,
    Vag
    Gloworm Manufacturing
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 02-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.

mtbr member
    At least the people with 'correct' tracking numbers can see where the lights are - my tracking number doesn't seem to work so I'll just hope for the best and see them at work one of these days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchael View Post
    Same here. I tried tracking my package yesterday, and according to DHL's web tracker, the parcel hasn't left hongkong. But lo and behold, the package arrived on my doorstep today.

Excellent light btw. Nice build quality all through out. Love the remote switch. I'd wish that they added a plastic loop at the end of the battery strap to make it more tight and secure. Bottomline, i'm happy with the X2.
    Yeah, international DHL is like that when coming out of HongKong. No tracking whatsoever.

posted by syadasti:

...Its USPS. They'll just leave it at the door (at least that's what they did in my case along with something else I mail ordered via USPS the other day). Mine came yesterday - very tiny and powerful but I won't have a chance to try it on the trail right away.
    It depends then on whither it's "priority mail" or not. If it's priority mail it will have to be signed for. If not and the package is small enough the postman will leave it in my ( locked ) mailbox. Either way I hope it comes by Friday. Too bad it didn't come today or yesterday because temperatures right now are in the fifties (F). With my luck when it arrives the temperature will drop 10 degrees and be raining.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Purt View Post
    Any word on the lights for aus/nz yet?
    Hey Purt

I will definetly receive the NZ/AUS Lights tomorrow morning and will send immediately on receipt. I'll then get them out to you by 2-3 day EMS Courier to Aus and overnight to NZ addresses.

To those in NZ or AUS I will have some extra stock here in NZ so can send immediately on order from tomorrow.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Received my light safe and sound as of Jan 31st in Toronto Canada. Upon running down the battery and recharging it overnight, the battery indicator only shows 80% charged when fresh pulled from wall plug. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, same here, i received it last week and have charged it fully but still remains at the 80% level....
    I havn't tried going out on a full charge for a couple of hours and running it down though, the problem is probably just with the battery guage circuit not the batterys themselves.

Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast