Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 650 of 1224
  1. #601
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265

    Gloworm Batteries

    Has anyone compared these cells to stander 4400 MS batteries?
    I can't decide whether or not to pick up a couple of new cells.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

  2. #602
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #603
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Checking the data sheet it looks to be about the right size. In the mean time I thought I'd share my thoughts.

    Judging from the wall beam shot it does look like the Tina has a bit more of a spot. Now as good as that sounds I'm still not sure it would work. For one the emitter cavity on the Tina optic might not be large enough to properly seat the optic as it is designed for XP series emitters. ( ..and not the larger dome of the XM-L ). If that's true I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the optic resting directly on the emitter dome. Now if you could find a way to shim the optic so it was not resting directly on the dome than maybe that would work. Of course if you lift the optic you might lose some peripheral output but the trade off might be worth it if you only use one.

    Another personal observation is that there may be some distortion at the edge of the hotspot. Let me explain that a bit further. It's been my observation that when dealing with LEDs that if you use an optic or reflector not particularly designed for that emitter that there can be what I will call "prismatic distortion" in the beam pattern. My theory is that the main section of light is bright white while on the edge the beam fades and has a "greenish tint". I've seen this effect with different reflectors but have no stock pile of optics to know if it applies with them as well. As long as the edge of the beam pattern transitions properly and has no "noticeable" green tint I would be happy. I figure it's worth a shot.

    Now if there is a bit of green you might try using only one. If anyone decides to give a set of these a shot please be sure to post up.

  4. #604
    just a Newbie
    Reputation: colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252
    I like to see that Tina beamshot out on the road including if there is any changes in the tint. I have a slight greenish tint with my gen 1 Gloworm with the spot optic but that can easily change depending on the specific of the optics. From the wallo beamshot, it does seem as if the Tina has a differnt tint but that can be cause from the camera and my screen.

  5. #605
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20

    New question here.

    Hi Bruce

    I just have a question about the headstrap. On your site it says "Additionally it can also mount on the handlebar or on the supplied headstrap (it can also be mounted on a rifle or hunting bow!)."

    Which is what I saw when I ordered it on Thursday, however I just noticed it is not listed as being one of the contents of the hard-shell carry case. So does it come with one or not?

  6. #606
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Knight View Post
    Hi Bruce

    I just have a question about the headstrap. On your site it says "Additionally it can also mount on the handlebar or on the supplied headstrap (it can also be mounted on a rifle or hunting bow!)."

    Which is what I saw when I ordered it on Thursday, however I just noticed it is not listed as being one of the contents of the hard-shell carry case. So does it come with one or not?
    Hell Knight,

    Yes, the handlebar mount can be also used to mount it on your riffle or hunting bow. Everything is included in your package.

    Happy Easter everybody.

    Thanks,
    Vag
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  7. #607
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Okay, I was just asking whether it came with the headstrap or not - I just quoted the whole paragraph from your site.

    Also, could you please tell me if you'll be sending it out on Tuesday?

  8. #608
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Knight View Post
    Okay, I was just asking whether it came with the headstrap or not - I just quoted the whole paragraph from your site.

    Also, could you please tell me if you'll be sending it out on Tuesday?
    Hell Knight,

    Sorry if I got you confused.
    The head strap is not used for the riffle but the bar mount which is included in the package. Head strap should be purchased as an extra accessory. Bruce will be shipping things after holidays, on Tuesday.



    Thanks,
    Vag
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  9. #609
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20

    Wink

    Do I get a free headstrap for warning you of the false advertising, as it currently says "supplied headstrap" on the site?

  10. #610
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265
    @Gloworm:

    That's strange, I was under the impression that the head strap was indeed included but wasn't ready by the time of the original release and was to be delivered separately, later. Was this just prerelease customers?

    Anyway, I'm still awaiting with bated (baited?) breath the V2. I will probably order 2. Will they have a choice of lenses, like the V1?
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

  11. #611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    119
    I always thought the headstrap was offered as an extra option only.

    Looking at the Gloworm website which has the V2 available for order, it has both spot and eliptical optic available as extra so gather they are your choices, no flood though

  12. #612
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    I always thought the headstrap was offered as an extra option only.

    Looking at the Gloworm website which has the V2 available for order, it has both spot and eliptical optic available as extra so gather they are your choices, no flood though
    Well that's a surprise. As a past pre-release customer I haven't gotten a discount code or anything yet on my e-mail from Gloworm. I assumed the product wasn't ready for release yet.

    @ Gloworm....Any comments on this?

  13. #613
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Well that's a surprise. As a past pre-release customer I haven't gotten a discount code or anything yet on my e-mail from Gloworm. I assumed the product wasn't ready for release yet.

    @ Gloworm....Any comments on this?
    Hello guys,

    @ Cat,
    No worries. The X2 is available in NZ now for the last 1 or 2 days. Soon you will also receive your code. We are doing some website and e-shop updates which are directly connected with the special offer. A bit patience and we won't let you down for sure

    @Graxxor
    The headstrap was always an extra choice

    @Hell Knight
    Thank you for the warning. I'll get Bruce to include some candies to your package

    Cheers,
    Vag
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  14. #614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    @Hell Knight
    Thank you for the warning. I'll get Bruce to include some candies to your package

    Cheers,
    Vag
    Cheers Vag

    I see Bruce updated my order to shipped this afternoon

    I'll probably be the first person on here to get one (being that I live in New Zealand), so i'll post my impressions when I get it.

  15. #615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    Looks a lot brighter in the beamshot. Have you tried it outside yet?

    Is it a double Tina or did you replace one or both optics. Also, was the first pic the spot-spot combo or standard spot-flood.

    I'd like to replce my spot-spot optic with something tighter if possible. A few millimetres bigger at this scale would make a noticeable difference. I presume the "Tina" doesn't use the little plastic holders that come with the optics.

    Finlly, where did u get the "Tina" from in the first place and how much was it?


    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Checking the data sheet it looks to be about the right size. In the mean time I thought I'd share my thoughts.

    Judging from the wall beam shot it does look like the Tina has a bit more of a spot. Now as good as that sounds I'm still not sure it would work. For one the emitter cavity on the Tina optic might not be large enough to properly seat the optic as it is designed for XP series emitters. ( ..and not the larger dome of the XM-L ). If that's true I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the optic resting directly on the emitter dome. Now if you could find a way to shim the optic so it was not resting directly on the dome than maybe that would work. Of course if you lift the optic you might lose some peripheral output but the trade off might be worth it if you only use one.

    Another personal observation is that there may be some distortion at the edge of the hotspot. Let me explain that a bit further. It's been my observation that when dealing with LEDs that if you use an optic or reflector not particularly designed for that emitter that there can be what I will call "prismatic distortion" in the beam pattern. My theory is that the main section of light is bright white while on the edge the beam fades and has a "greenish tint". I've seen this effect with different reflectors but have no stock pile of optics to know if it applies with them as well. As long as the edge of the beam pattern transitions properly and has no "noticeable" green tint I would be happy. I figure it's worth a shot.

    Now if there is a bit of green you might try using only one. If anyone decides to give a set of these a shot please be sure to post up.
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    I like to see that Tina beamshot out on the road including if there is any changes in the tint. I have a slight greenish tint with my gen 1 Gloworm with the spot optic but that can easily change depending on the specific of the optics. From the wallo beamshot, it does seem as if the Tina has a differnt tint but that can be cause from the camera and my screen.
    Hi guys,
    I got Tina from cutter's, it's about AUD 6.50 but shipping and handling costs add up....Its the Tina RS (real spot) 6.5 deg lens as you posted. There is no discernible shift in tint but as Cat mentioned and i noticed in my message, i'm not sure how this is seated on the xm-l led. I used no lens holder, of course and i think that placing it directly on the xml might actually make this lens work better than in other cases. I can't check it from the side, as i have no xml's lying around at the moment, otherwise i would have check it ex ante. However, i take it that if the seating was totally off-as in other cases- there would be a reduction in overall light.....
    The shots were taken showing light from one lens AT A TIME, as i had the other lens covered, so the changes in the the beam are the ones you see. The tint is as it appears in reality, at least from my sony laptop that is. Will try to get trail photos soon.....

  16. #616
    mtbr member
    Reputation: micah356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141
    Just got my order. We ordered three V1's, they got delayed and so as a bonus we got two V1's and one V2. I'll try and do some kind of comparo between them.

    Any tips for the helmet mount? I'm assuming that I should cut the velcro down to size for my helmet, but I just wanted to make sure before I get out the scissors.

  17. #617
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Over the weekend I got a chance to use the X2 on a very rugged trail. I was only using the *Adventure program so the high output was only 900lm. I thought the lamp worked very well but as I have said before it doesn't reach as well on trails as on the road. I really do like the 500 lumen mode though. A nice amount a light with excellent run time. Next time out I'll use the *Trail Program to see if the added boost ( 1200 lumen ) makes any noticeable difference.

    ( **Just noting here that the X2 has 4 separate menu's to choose from. This is one of the things that makes it such a great bike light. )

    Wow...couldn't believe how dry the trails were this weekend. They were "Bone Freek'in Dry". This is the best Spring we've had in this part of the country in years. I am loving every minute of it. Time to get more mountain biking in. ( Ahhhh! ) Boy do my legs hurt though.

  18. #618
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Hi All

    So the moment you have all been waiting for and about 3 weeks late...sorry. The beamshots of the new X2 version 2 are here.

    I have taken 2 sets. First demonstrates throw the next beam pattern and brightness.

    Throw - cone 1 is 25m (82ft), cone 2 is 50m (165ft), trees are 60m (198ft)



    Beam Pattern - I stood to the side to give a better perspective of the beam. The tree in the middle is 20m from where I stood.



    Discalimer - a couple of the shots where not pointing at exactly the same point...sorry again.

    The X2 come loaded with spot/diffuse as standard.

    Personally, I think this beam pattern is perfect, especially with the extra throw generated. We're quite chuffed with the results and you will get your chance soon. The release of the X2 version 2 for presales customers will occur on Friday (anyone else can buy too..but at the normal price). We will email the lucky few and then you can redeem your coupons on the site!

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  19. #619
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Sweet, looks good Bruce, glad I waited for V2.

    I was looking forward to testing mine out when it turns up in the next day or so, but unfortunately it won't be on my bike, as I just found out today (when I was about to go out for a ride) that my frame is cracked...

  20. #620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    119
    Hi Bruce, looks great!

    a question, in the first lot of beam shots, the diffuse/ diffuse seems to give more throw than the one labelled spot/ diffuse, is this correct or is the light pointing at the ground a bit more in that photo?

    I presume diffuse is what is called eliptical as an extra option on the web site?

  21. #621
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    To be honest, the spot/diffuse was actually pointing more towards the ground.

    Diffuse is the new flood and elliptical will not be offered...at least for now.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  22. #622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    To be honest, the spot/diffuse was actually pointing more towards the ground.

    Diffuse is the new flood and elliptical will not be offered...at least for now.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm
    Will the lenses from V1 work on the V2, like the elliptical?

  23. #623
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post
    Will the lenses from V1 work on the V2, like the elliptical?
    Unfortunately the V2 was designed with larger optics to increase the quality of the beam pattern and throw of the unit.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  24. #624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    119
    Anyone get their special offer?

  25. #625
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Anyone get their special offer?
    Emails will be sent out within the next 3 hours! One code per order, valid for one week only! You will have the option to buy either the full set or the light head only.

    Cheers

    Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 04-14-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  26. #626
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16
    This is a good news !

  27. #627
    mtbr member
    Reputation: micah356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141
    I'm just curious about the 1300 lumens mode in Bush. Is it not meant to be used for extended periods? Or is it totally fine to use that for riding?

  28. #628
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Hello,

    E-mails for the special offer are send. In case we forgot any of you just drop us an e-mail and we'll look at it.

    @micah356
    It is fine to use the Bush mode for riding.

    Cheers
    Bruce and Vag,
    Team Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  29. #629
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hello,

    E-mails for the special offer are send. In case we forgot any of you just drop us an e-mail and we'll look at it.

    @micah356
    It is fine to use the Bush mode for riding.

    Cheers
    Bruce and Vag,
    Team Gloworm

  30. #630
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Hey Shannon,

    You are totally right. Now that the V2 is out you should see a Gloworm adv. pretty soon.

    Cheers,
    Vag
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  31. #631
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey Shannon,

    You are totally right. Now that the V2 is out you should see a Gloworm adv. pretty soon.

    Cheers,
    Vag
    Good. Are you guys going to Sea Otter?

  32. #632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Emails will be sent out within the next 3 hours! One code per light purchased, valid for one week only! You will have the option to buy either the full set or the light head only.

    Cheers

    Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Just got my email Already responded with my request for a full set - can't wait to see how it compares to the first generation!

    I want to thank Gloworm again for this fantastic support of the people who took a chance ordering the first generation light before it was in production. And also for listening to feedback to improve the next generation so quickly. That's great customer support!

  33. #633
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Yep, I got my offer as well. I'll be getting just the light head though as before. @Gloworm in my haste to get the e-mail off I forgot to mention I wanted the Light head only. A minute later I followed with the updated request. Sorry about that. My old eyes are a little foggy when I first get up.

  34. #634
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    658
    I am going to go for a full set of the version 2. I can't resist such a generous offer by Glowworm. And so my bike light collection continues to grow.

  35. #635
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    170
    Coupon code received and placed for the complete light set. Can't wait to get it!

  36. #636
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    I got my coupon ( code ) as well but I have a question. On the website there is a place to
    to order the Complete set - X2 ( Version 2 ) however if you want the light head only I am a little confused.
    In the product list there is a box for ordering the light head only but there is no mention of it being the "Version 2 ". Is this the box I use or not? I thought I would ask before placing the order.

  37. #637
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265
    I sent a question off to Vag on Friday night, but haven't go a response. I bought two V1s so I'm hoping I'll get 2 codes.... Haven't heard back from him yet.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

  38. #638
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    I sent a question off to Vag on Friday night, but haven't go a response. I bought two V1s so I'm hoping I'll get 2 codes.... Haven't heard back from him yet.
    I bought two then too and he said:

    Unfortunately the offer is restricted to 1 unit.

  39. #639
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28

    Pricing with code question

    So the cart says the following:

    light kit $102
    headstrap $18
    lens $8
    NZD 15% $22 ???

    Total $167

    So what is NZD and why is it $167 total? Adding all of the above only comes up to $150

  40. #640
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post
    So the cart says the following:

    light kit $102
    headstrap $18
    lens $8
    NZD 15% $22 ???

    Total $167

    So what is NZD and why is it $167 total? Adding all of the above only comes up to $150
    When you first visit the gloworm website there is a currency toggle on the bottom left side of the page, change currency from New Zealand Dollars to US Dollars (or whatever currency suits your country if applicable).

    I noticed a problem too. When I used the special offer code it was 101.47 USD rather than 100 USD. I think the shopping cart system has bugs.

  41. #641
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    658
    While riding last night at my local trails nearing the end of my ride, the light flashed several times and went to a lower power. Took me a few moments to realize I haven't charged my battery recently and this is the low battery indicator. Still had plenty of juice to finish my ride though. I had my Betty with me on the bars so it didn't slow me down any.

    It turned out to be a rather eerie ride though because recently there was a fire in the woods there and all of a sudden I got to the the burned out area and it was very strange looking especially at night with my lights. Reminds me of being in a Silent Hill movie when everything go to heck after you hear a creepy siren. I had a great night ride though.

  42. #642
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post
    So the cart says the following:

    light kit $102
    headstrap $18
    lens $8
    NZD 15% $22 ???

    Total $167

    So what is NZD and why is it $167 total? Adding all of the above only comes up to $150
    NZD 15% is a tax that doesn't apply if it is being shipped to the US. If you enter your address in the system it should update and be removed.

  43. #643
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    783

    Gst

    Quote Originally Posted by knoxpossum View Post
    NZD 15% is a tax that doesn't apply if it is being shipped to the US. If you enter your address in the system it should update and be removed.
    I had the same problem with GST being charged, even when I logged in (so I assumed the system knew I was in the US.). I didn't change the currency on the first page as first, but even when I went back to change that, it still showed GST in my order summary. BUT...when you go through the ordering process, after entering your address showing it is being shipped to the US, the GST charge disappears.

  44. #644
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I had the same problem with GST being charged, even when I logged in (so I assumed the system knew I was in the US.). I didn't change the currency on the first page as first, but even when I went back to change that, it still showed GST in my order summary. BUT...when you go through the ordering process, after entering your address showing it is being shipped to the US, the GST charge disappears.
    Hi Guys,

    Becasue of the fluctuation in the $$ we have set the discount code to be as close as possible to realising $100 total or $50 total when ordering. So this will go up/down over the next week but shouldn't be by more than plus or minus $5.

    Also as stated by Agoura, the GST will disappear on the completion of the process just before you pay.

    Cheers

    Bruce and Vag
    Team Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  45. #645
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16
    I still have not received my coupon code

  46. #646
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    354
    hello guys,

    For the ones that did not receive the coupon or have a question please send us a PM and we'll deal with it ASAP.

    Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    The Gloworm team
    Gloworm Website

    '...it's more fun with the lites on!'

  47. #647
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265
    I got my promo code from Gloworm today... yay...

    Unfortunately, Vag said promo codes were limited to one per person and not one per purchase.... So I was a little bit disappointed, to be honest considering that I purchased two off the bat.

    I suppose that's the problem with managing customer expectations, isn't it... I wasn't expecting a deal on the V2 in any case, and once they offered it, I just assumed (perhaps unfairly) that I'd get two codes...

    I wanted to run a matched pair on the bars, since I was having so much fun with two X2 v1 on the bars... But I guess I'll be fine with a V2 spot/spot and the V1 elliptical "mega flood" running strobe duties on the road...

    But still, it's a great price at $100 for light head and I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

  48. #648
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265

    Running the X2 in "Programming Mode"

    I don't know if this will have any long term effect on the longevity of the light or whether it chews through the battery any quicker than normal, or whether there are any other adverse effects, but I have started running my X2 elliptical^2 in "programming mode".

    By this, I mean, from the off state, holding the power button down for 6 or so seconds until it gives a brief flash, after that it enters programming mode.

    The program selected is indicated by one of four modes:

    1) Dim (100lm?) - Bush
    2) Bright (1000lm?) - Trail
    3) Flasher (700lm) - Commuter
    4) Emergency Beacon (1200lm?) - Adventure.

    By pressing the button, one can cycle between these four modes.

    To exit the programming mode without selecting a new program, simply hold down the power button until the unit is completely off before releasing it.

    I find this to be really useful. Why?

    In dark, secluded roads, I tend to use mode 1 or 2 to light the way, but in busy, city streets, I use mode 3.
    However, stopped at the red-light at junctions at night, I have found that the flash mode causes oncoming motorists to flash me or at least give me the "evil eye". Not to mention making peds cover their eyes when crossing in front of me.

    So, I change to mode 4 at junctions which sets the 2 second beacon.
    It is perfect for getting the drivers' attentions but is not distracting enough to annoy them...

    I like to consider this as the 5th mode of my X2 and am using it more and more of late when on the busy roads of Tokyo.

    Anyone else tried this?
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

  49. #649
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NitroRC Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    187
    I'm in the same boat - as soon as I heard about the discount I was prepared for two more lights. I had done two pre-order purchases on the V1 so was hoping I could get 2 of the new ones

    Ed

  50. #650
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    ....In dark, secluded roads, I tend to use mode 1 or 2 to light the way, but in busy, city streets, I use mode 3.
    However, stopped at the red-light at junctions at night, I have found that the flash mode causes oncoming motorists to flash me or at least give me the "evil eye". Not to mention making peds cover their eyes when crossing in front of me.

    So, I change to mode 4 at junctions which sets the 2 second beacon.
    It is perfect for getting the drivers' attentions but is not distracting enough to annoy them...

    I like to consider this as the 5th mode of my X2 and am using it more and more of late when on the busy roads of Tokyo.

    Anyone else tried this?
    I am using the "Adventure mode" for road use primarily. The pulsed flash ( 2sec@1200lm ) is perfect for day or late evening road use. Once it gets to twilight or complete darkness though it's best
    to just use the regular light modes. The 1200 lumen pulse is a little over-whelming when dark or at twilight.

    The flash on the "Commuter Program" is just too fast and too bright. I'd like to see this one change to one pulse ever 1.5 sec @ 100 lumen. Just enough to get attention during low light conditions without being over-whelming.

    Tonight I used my X2 in the "Trail Program". I really only used the boost mode a couple of times. There really isn't a big difference in long throw from High to Boost but what does change in the upper levels is "how much more you see in the area directly in front of you to the just beyond 75 ft mark. This turned out to be very useful when descending threw rocky, rut-laden terrain at speed. If you fail to see that loose rock or piece of stick you could easily find yourself scrapping the remains of your as* off the ground.

    Since I'm posting this I might as well talk about something else I notice tonight using my X2. ALL THE LOW MODES ON THIS LAMP ARE MOST EXCELLENT. Even the lowest mode ( stated as 100 lumen ) is very useful. Both the 300 lumen ( trail menu ) and the 500 lumen mode ( adventure menu ) are excellent for all around riding. I really think the people who do the endurance events are really going to like the X2's for this reason.

    My ride tonight was an almost perfect ride. Trails firm, bone dry and fast as all get-out. I was also glad to see that someone had removed all the large dead-fall from last year which had really messed up my favorite trail. Too bad I had to hurry home to do my taxes....yeah, I'm one of those wait-to-the-last-minute-people.

Similar Threads

  1. Niterider dual light system *NIB*
    By wannagoforaride in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Recomendations for dual chainguide system for 6.6
    By pocgnikcuf in forum Intense
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
  3. Recomendations for dual chainguide system for 6.6
    By pocgnikcuf in forum Intense
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
  4. Intense EX DC Light/ Edge Light/ System 4 Light?
    By Hardtails Are Better in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •