Got a ride next weekend and I sure hope they are around to test out

Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    Well darn - two lights on thier way but no tracking info

Got a ride next weekend and I sure hope they are around to test out

Ed
    The USPS website is slow to update. Enter your Fed Ex smartpost tracking number at Fed Ex and you should see the most current information (as Cat has).

mtbr member
    I'd love to be able and do that but still no luck on getting an email with tracking info

Maybe i'll see something in my inbox tomorrow.......

Looking forward to getting these out for some rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    I'd love to be able and do that but still no luck on getting an email with tracking info :
    It probably did not make the first dispatch of orders. I placed another order a bit after my first and it will be shipped in the next dispatch.

mtbr member
    I've gotten the first set of emails for my two lights indicating hey were on their way to the US - just nothing yet after that on tracking.

Will see how things look tomorrow

Ed

night riding enthusiast
    I have got my two gloworms...

Have just cycled 10km along various windy roads and a couple of highways.

First impression:

DHL sucks. No weekend delivery and they arrive at my business address at 7am... Like I'd be there?
    I then scheduled a 6pm delivery. He came at 2:45pm.

Boxes were crushed in the post but the internal storage pouch is reinforced and sponge and arrived in A1 perfect condition along with its contents despite the manhandling. Well done there!

Advice: DHL sucks. Avoid if possible.

Packaging and additional materials very nice.

And MY GOD they are small. I mean, they almost look comical! They are really cute!

Build of the light is excellent, sturdy and stable on both helmet and bar.

Problem is that the double washer does not prevent the nut from loosening on the bar mount. After a couple of adjustments I'm forced to pull out my hex tool and tighten it.

No biggie, once I've determined optical placement, I won't be adjusting them any more.

Same cannot be said for Velcro remote "grips" though. I use shift grips (yeah yeah, I know) and can only use the velcro on the bars and not on the narrow handles. Suckmungous. Buttons keep moving in the dark, defeating
    the whole point of a remote.

The optics look well sealed. A brief dunk in a bucket of water for both of them revealed no leaks.

I powered them up in a dark room and bang. Room filled with light. I would say that on trail boost, the light I gauge appears ever so slightly more than the 816 (optimistically rated at 1400). I was a little disappointed and expected more.

The initial light spread is WIDE with a capital WIDE. And I mean it. These optics are FAR wider than even the XP-E ellipticals on my 816. They are flood beams, make no mistake.

So I swapped out the flood half and replaced with another spot.

Unfortunately, due to an oversized solder blob, I was unable to fit the optic securely flush with the base. I also noticed that the first optic was not flush with the rear panel. I'd say that there was about a 1mm gap at the bottom of the optic, making it no longer parallel to the optic next to it.

Anyway, with two spots there is almost no meaningful difference at a distance of 10 or so metres. I'd say, subtle at best.

I swapped out the other lights optics for two ellipticals.

Here the ginormous solder blob prevented me from Fitting the optic in the correct orientation no matter how hard I tried, the optic would not go flat. In the end i flattened the solder blob with my soldering gun.

The optic still wouldn't fit and I was forced to carve out a little dent in the back of the out optical supporter in order to get it to fit... I managed with about 0.5mm of air between the backplane and the optic.

Not too impressed. Moreover there was an abundance of heatsink paste which stuck the optics in place and made them difficult to move.

Still The beam pattern became much more usable. Less ceiling and floor lit, wider and about the same brightness overall, but with a more diffuse hotspot.

I took the two outside, spot spot and elliptical elliptical. Running them side by side, I'd again have to say that the difference is subtle rather than marked.

The elliptical lacks a little forward lighting while really helping with the periphery. It is the perfect light for tight spaces. Backstreets, alleys and tight twisty paths are lit up in a glorious flood of light that practically extends 80 degrees either side without wasting too much light on the front tyre or second story windows overhead. A remarkable effort from such a small package and easily out blasts the twin xp-e floods on the 816!

I have to say though, that I was underwhelmed with the twin spot.
    Spot is not really a word that can be used and shows the lack of maturity in the 20 something mm XM-L optics. The light is diffuse and I would say has much less throw than the OP ref P7 based 816 which is itself considered inferior to the original 808 P7 Bastid.

Somewhat disappointed knowing that I've lost about half the forward throw of my previous light.

More impressions later.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.754682,139.737516
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello

Regarding FEDEX Smartpost

FED EX # can also be tracked with USPS. you can either track it with FEDEX or USPS...it is a service called FEDEX SMARTPOST , which USPS will end up delivering the packages.

Fedex delivers to the local city and then USPS handles the delivery to the customer.

@ Ed,

Everything has been shipped but they are some packages that we will be receiving the tracking numbers today.

Greets,
    Vag
    Gloworm Manufacturing

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR;8956105

Somewhat disappointed knowing that I've lost about half the forward throw of my previous light.

More impressions later.

---
    I am here: [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.754682,139.737516
    Google Maps[/url]
    Hey mate, not quite the review I was looking forward to reading. Will be interesting to see what others think as they get them.
    I guess ultimately if you are not happy, there is always the 14 day (pre order) return policy to fall back on....

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    I have to say though, that I was underwhelmed with the twin spot.
    Spot is not really a word that can be used and shows the lack of maturity in the 20 something mm XM-L optics. The light is diffuse and I would say has much less throw than the OP ref P7 based 816 which is itself considered inferior to the original 808 P7 Bastid.

More impressions later.

---
    I am here: Google Maps
    Hey GraXXor, thanks for the prompt thoughts.

I am just curious about the comments re: throw vs P7. We conducted tests against the the Gemini Titan P7 and the throw was slightly better. Comparsons were also made against a 3 XPG unit (BikeRay) with the same results. (Addressed in next comment - lol)

Also, the solder/heatsink paste issues are duely noted and will be addressed.

In regards to the velcro for the swtich, lights will soon be delivered with a sticky velcro spots so the switch will maintain it's position whereever one chooses to place it. In the meantime a velcro spot from the local hardware shop will fix the problem of the moving switch.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Hey mate, not quite the review I was looking forward to reading. Will be interesting to see what others think as they get them.
    I guess ultimately if you are not happy, there is always the 14 day (pre order) return policy to fall back on....
    Rode another 8km this evening.

I think they make a superb bar light for tight, technical rides, especially with the elliptical optics which, although perhaps a little less efficient, make use of the light more intelligently.

The beam is so smooth, wide and and natural.

The commuter pattern is good, especially the flash being separated.

However I do recommend they make an entirely separate flash program, with varying levels though, since 700lm flash is almost weaponsgrade at night!

Also I was wrong in my original assessment of their light output. They are noticeably brighter than my 816 in the open air.

I just don't think they make such a good helmet light since the spot is so wide it's practically omnidirectional in ones visible field, which had actually been mentioned several times in this thread, just from beamshots.

The spots are just too out of control for commuting. They seem to illuminate EVERYTHING and i received far more angry glances from pedestrians than i ever did from my 816.

Once someone makes/finds some even half decent aspericals for it, the game will change.

I missed my 816s beam on the dark straight highway and downhill sections, which used to illuminate out to 100m ahead without blinding me with local reflections.

In this respect, as both a backstreet and highway light, I'd say that the 816 has it all. The Gloworms needs to rein it in a little.
    Last edited by GraXXoR; 01-30-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: iPhone autocorrect nonsense

mtbr member
    Somehow missed the reply - email came today - thanks

Ed
    Last edited by NitroRC Ed; 01-31-2012 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just don't think they make such a good helmet light since the spot is so wide it's practically omnidirectional in ones visible field, which had actually been mentioned several times in this thread, just from beamshots.

The spots are just too out of control for commuting. They seem to illuminate EVERYTHING and i received far more angry glances from pedestrians than i ever did from my 816.
    I was seriously considering these for a new helmet light during the pre-sale offer. Now, it seems the light is better suited for the bars. Although, there are already many good bar options out there.

If it's a serious problem, I think Gloworm should redo their optics to have a bigger change in spot/flood beams.

The problems you mention about fitting the optics in the light, is this just your issue or is anyone else having the same problems?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oh and, user pics would be great if anyone has any!

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey GraXXor, thanks for the prompt thoughts.

I am just curious about the comments re: throw vs P7. We conducted tests against the the Gemini Titan P7 and the throw was slightly better. Comparsons were also made against a 3 XPG unit (BikeRay) with the same results. (Addressed in next comment - lol)

Also, the solder/heatsink paste issues are duely noted and will be addressed.

In regards to the velcro for the swtich, lights will soon be delivered with a sticky velcro spots so the switch will maintain it's position whereever one chooses to place it. In the meantime a velcro spot from the local hardware shop will fix the problem of the moving switch.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    I have never used the gemini, but on trail boost, the X2 throw does not appear to match the P7 OP reflector based spot of the Magicshine 816. Although it beats it in absolute brightness due to the astounding breadth of the beam.

TBH, I don't see how even a dual setup of 15 mm optics could ever hope to compete with a 37mm reflector in terms of throw. I don't think it's possible due to comparative die size:beam collector diameter and depth ratios.

It could well be that the local brightness is actually blinding me. But in terms of seeing ahead down a dimly lit road, the 816 beats it hands down.

Tonight I will try the Magicshine and X2 side by side on the riverbank. I found that even the dim local illumination of the 816's XP-E floods reduced night vision in this dark, flat place and rely solely on the P7 so when I come to a couple of the more sudden twists and turns in the path at up to 40kph with a tailwind, I'm glad I had time to prepare...

Solder blob is definitely interfering with the optics... What effect would a 1mm forward displacement of the optic have on the beam? I may flatten the solder a bit more if it would help focus.

Re, switch placement... I have already superglued a piece of velcro to my shifters... See how it holds up.

Have you durability tested the switch. it feels rather flimsy...
    Last edited by GraXXoR; 01-30-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: correct spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jase.paluzzi View Post
    I was seriously considering these for a new helmet light during the pre-sale offer. Now, it seems the light is better suited for the bars. Although, there are already many good bar options out there.

If it's a serious problem, I think Gloworm should redo their optics to have a bigger change in spot/flood beams.

The problems you mention about fitting the optics in the light, is this just your issue or is anyone else having the same problems?
    In general because the physical size of the XM-L die is quite large, (relative to earlier generations, XP-G, XP-E, etc.), it becomes harder if not impossible to extract a tight spot out of the physically small diameter optics that are ALSO shallow in depth. It's quite a conundrum at the moment and one that may not be easily solved in this small form factor using only optics. With the wider dispersion of light, you get caught between two undesirable scenarios: 1) either two much near field light which can have a blinding effect and reduce distance vision, or 2) a significant loss of distance projection in an effort to aim the light up slightly and alleviate the near field brightness.

The drawbacks of a pure flood pattern are only exaggerated as the light is mounted lower to the ground, so in reality a floody pattern is most effective (read efficient) higher up on the helmet, but again unfortunately, the helmet is where you typically want to have your real distance penetration. Just my own personal observations with bike lighting in general, as I have no first hand experience with these lights.

Concerning solder "blobs" and excess thermal paste... This is a pure quality control issue, and will only improve with tighter control of the assembly process, which shouldn't be all that difficult... that is, unless their solder technicians graduated from the school of "The Bigger the Blob, the Better the Job."

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well, I'm looking to be using this light bombing down through unlit roads in the Adelaide Hills at 50 - 70Kph, so hopefully it's got some distance to it. I guess I'll reserve my judgement till I receive it and give it a go.

Possibly expecting too much out of such a small form factor, ie: the optic/ reflector size just cant punch out that much throw?

It's interesting that you mention that there is not much difference in swapping the optics. Perhaps it is to do with them not being seated correctly as the beamshots back on page 3 or whatever shows quite a difference (spot/ flood and spot/ spot) but presumably this was from a hand made prototype
    Last edited by tb123; 01-30-2012 at 09:21 PM.

night riding enthusiast

Gallery of Gloworm X2 Mounted on my road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jase.paluzzi View Post
    Oh and, user pics would be great if anyone has any!
    Your wish is my command.

Gloworm X2 mounted - a set on Flickr

night riding enthusiast
    Well, I'm looking to be using this light bombing down through unlit roads in the Adelaide Hills at 50 - 70Kph, so hopefully it's got some distance to it. I guess I'll reserve my judgement till I receive it and give it a go.

Possibly expecting too much out of such a small form factor, ie: the optic/ reflector size just cant punch out that much throw?

It's interesting that you mention that there is not much difference in swapping the optics. Perhaps it is to do with them not being seated correctly as the beamshots back on page 3 or whatever shows quite a difference (spot/ flood and spot/ spot) but presumably this was from a hand made prototype
    Yikes 70kph? You do know these are bicycle lights, don't you?

Their sheer power ensures they have throw, it's just at the expense of directionality, meaning they will illuminate everything within your typical field of vision (including the underside of bridges when passing under them.)

I guess there is a difference, but I couldn't notice it outside in the (visually) noisy sprawl of Tokyo's backstreets.

Yes, maybe the optics aren't in properly I will have another bash at them tonight.

Here's some pics of them mounted:

They really are works of art... Much better than my bike deserves

Dual Gloworm X2 setup

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Your wish is my command.

Quick work!
    Thanks for that. Any chance of some night time shots showing the difference between the X2 and the 816?

mtbr member
    Your wish is my command.

I'm really sorry, and I get taht it's not a beauty contest, but that looks redonkulous. I actually held off from buying because of the lumen output/beam shots/ why not have a triple. I was REALLY hoping the spot reflector would turn this into a mid range thrower with some spread to help out too, but I'm thinking you need 1500+ lumen to do both well.

Looking forward to more reviews
    "It looks flexy"

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    In general because the physical size of the XM-L die is quite large, (relative to earlier generations, XP-G, XP-E, etc.), it becomes harder if not impossible to extract a tight spot out of the physically small diameter optics that are ALSO shallow in depth. It's quite a conundrum at the moment and one that may not be easily solved in this small form factor using only optics. With the wider dispersion of light, you get caught between two undesirable scenarios: 1) either two much near field light which can have a blinding effect and reduce distance vision, or 2) a significant loss of distance projection in an effort to aim the light up slightly and alleviate the near field brightness.

The drawbacks of a pure flood pattern are only exaggerated as the light is mounted lower to the ground, so in reality a floody pattern is most effective (read efficient) higher up on the helmet, but again unfortunately, the helmet is where you typically want to have your real distance penetration. Just my own personal observations with bike lighting in general, as I have no first hand experience with these lights.
    Yes, improvements in efficiency and light output are not useful if they are wasted in the air.

Larger dies may allow greater currents and produce more lumens, which undoubtedly sells LEDs and allows builders to stick egregious brightness claims on their products, but it's no good if this light can't be harnessed usefully. Hence you have "stuck with" the "outdated" (sorry to quote two elements in the same sentence) XP-Es with your DS-1300s. IIRC, you even called your dual 3 x XP-E a "throw monster".

I do believe that aspherical optics (which produce an almost laser-like beam with tiddly little LEDs) are actually more usable and tunable with the P7 and XM-L die sizes. So I can hope that someone creates a nice slot-in optic for the Gloworm, although the 15mm optic size will undoubtedly be challenging.

night riding enthusiast
    Quick work!
    Thanks for that. Any chance of some night time shots showing the difference between the X2 and the 816?
    Not until nighttime

night riding enthusiast

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I'm really sorry, and I get taht it's not a beauty contest, but that looks redonkulous. I actually held off from buying because of the lumen output/beam shots/ why not have a triple. I was REALLY hoping the spot reflector would turn this into a mid range thrower with some spread to help out too, but I'm thinking you need 1500+ lumen to do both well.

Looking forward to more reviews
    Redonkulous? There's a new one Is that "good" redonkulous or "bad" redonkulous?

1500 lumens? Hmm... I tried both X2 on at the same time (Double spots on commuter boost 1000 lumens) and Double Elliptical on Trail Boost (1200 lumens). And Jeez Louise, I actually had to stop and burst out laughing! It's a serious WALL OF LIGHT. The white walls of the buildings, chrome car bumpers, reflective road signs, whitewashed culverts and other highlights were actually painful to look at. These little critters are BRIGHT. A woman with a dog came round the corner and literally froze before I turned the lights down.

TBH I was quite content with the commuter boost (1000lm) on the ellipticals alone, except that near field was a bit too bright for comfort when it reflected off of anything.

1000 real lumens is a really nice amount of light unless you're on a straight road patched with ice in the pitch black and bombing along. (like I was). 1200 is even better.

I think, that with a tighter optic, 1200lumens intelligently used would be very adequate, which seems to be a consensus among a number of home builders. Just upping the lumens will do nothing other than blind bystanders and the rider him/herself even more.

BTW... It doesn't use reflectors, it uses plastic optics...

'nother review coming after tonight's ride along the riverbank.

mtbr member
    Yes, improvements in efficiency and light output are not useful if they are wasted in the air.

Larger dies may allow greater currents and produce more lumens, which undoubtedly sells LEDs and allows builders to stick egregious brightness claims on their products, but it's no good if this light can't be harnessed usefully. Hence you have "stuck with" the "outdated" (sorry to quote two elements in the same sentence) XP-Es with your DS-1300s. IIRC, you even called your dual 3 x XP-E a "throw monster".

I do believe that aspherical optics (which produce an almost laser-like beam with tiddly little LEDs) are actually more usable and tunable with the P7 and XM-L die sizes. So I can hope that someone creates a nice slot-in optic for the Gloworm, although the 15mm optic size will undoubtedly be challenging.
    I think you described it quite well. I'm actually quite excited about the XP-E's that I'm "stuck" with, given that they're an exceedingly rare high-output bin. They were so outside the normal sigma that they (CREE) didn't even include them in the literature. In the small form factor lights, they really are hard to beat for sheer throw, but tell that to the XML marketeers. I think Troutie's been playing around with some asphericals here lately, so there's just no telling what he might come up with.

night riding enthusiast

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    I think you described it quite well. I'm actually quite excited about the XP-E's that I'm "stuck" with, given that they're an exceedingly rare high-output bin. They were so outside the normal sigma that they (CREE) didn't even include them in the literature. In the small form factor lights, they really are hard to beat for sheer throw, but tell that to the XML marketeers. I think Troutie's been playing around with some asphericals here lately, so there's just no telling what he might come up with.
    I looked again at the dies of my 816's XP-E side pods... They are TINY, literally like pinpricks of light. I think they're really impressive considering the area they cover.

How on earth did you get unbinned LEDs from CREE? OK... I don't want to know

Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast