mtbr member

interesting article with statistics on road safety versus time of day etc

this article is about Cars, but i think it has plenty of information in it relevant to Bikes because we do share the same road ...

Most Dangerous Times To Drive - Forbes

the fact that most people get killed on a Saturday was pretty obvious, because that's when people get drunk

but what i found surprising is that a lot of people get killed while driving at night - despite the fact that roads at night are pretty much empty. that frankly is a bit disturbing

another fun takeaway for me was "95% of crashes are caused by human error, and 75% of drivers say they're more careful than most other drivers" ...

after the article itself there are 11 "pages" of "indepth" information with more numbers in them.

most people ( total numbers ) are killed 5 - 7 PM

i guess this is a combined effect of rush hour, being tired from work, and having the sun in the eyes.

most people ( as percentage of drivers on the road at the time ) are killed midnight to 4 AM.

that's obviously people coming back high / drunk form parties.

least people ( total numbers ) are killed 4 - 5 AM.

in other words there is a brief period of time in the early morning when the drunks have already come home from the parties but the early birds aren't on the road yet.

this looks like the safe time to bike ( provided you're well lit ). and if you're not well lit it appears a good time to bike would be noon, when the sun is high and people are at work. this time wasn't mentioned in the article - just thinking out loud.

personal note - i would check with google for sunrise time as it changes with geography, time of year and daylight savings - to make sure i'm not on the road when the sun is hovering over the horizon blinding people.

i will also add that cities tend to have local laws for the latest time by which clubs must close. i think in Brooklyn this is in the 3 or 4 AM range, and in Boston it is quite early. while some clubs break these rules most follow them so it would probably be best to find out what the local law is.

mtbr member
    just finished a perfectly timed ride. i rode from 3.30 AM to 5 AM. i deliberately calculated a route that would take me 1.5 hours because the battery life on my main light is 1.5 hours, and i also timed it so that i would finish just before it started getting lighter.

i have to say - the street was ridiculously empty. there were still cars on the highway, and on the 3 lane parkway, but smaller 1 and 2 lane streets were completely empty.

this may not sound like a big deal to you but here in Brooklyn at ~ 6 PM everything would be jammed. sometimes i am even stuck in traffic at night or on Sunday here, but at 4 AM everything was perfect.

i did have 2 ID1OTS race past me at about 100 mph at one point - that was pretty sketchy - they were going so fast i saw them from a block and a half away ( because the engines were screaming ) but only a few seconds later they flew past me - as soon as i saw them i decided to temporarily switch to the sidewalk to the let them pass but i couldn't find a slot between parked cars in time before these rejects flew by.

anyway, other than that incident it was like i had my own private road all across brooklyn and back.

even the crackheads seemed to be asleep ( except the two aforementioned ones )

i did come across several police cars on the other hand - one of them pulled up closer to me but they didn't try to stop me ...

all in all i would love to ride again at this exact time. this is a second time i ride in the 3 to 5 am slot, and both times it was like a ghost town - no people or cars to be found anywhere. even though i took completely different routes the experience was quite similar. very cool.

just don't do this on friday or saturday when the drunks and crackheads are out in full force.
    Last edited by androgen; 08-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    ok i found the information on the time bars close:

Last call (bar term) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so apparently in NYC the cutoff is 4AM at which time the bars must stop serving drinks, but can stay open.

i guess the logic behind this is to clear the drunks from the street before morning traffic starts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I wouldn't bike on a payday weekend night. Too many drunks on the road. I usually bike around 8-10PM. Right after rush hour and right before Happy Hour ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Isn't this a mountain bike forum? No cars in the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Isn't this a mountain bike forum? No cars in the woods.
    +10. I have always been surprised at the amount of roadie oriented discussion in this forum. Maybe there isn't much going on the roadie forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    +10. I have always been surprised at the amount of roadie oriented discussion in this forum. Maybe there isn't much going on the roadie forums.
    Yeah, but some people ride mountain bikes on the road. I like to ride both road and trails ( with different bikes ) so I've always been interested in both forms of night riding. To be honest though I never really thought about it too much because there have been some really heated discussions here in the MTBR "Lights and Night riding" forum arguing about what kind of lights are best for the road that have made for interesting reading. Personally I like to talk about both kinds of night riding ( and the lights they use ) but lately I've been using one of the other forums for "night road light" discussions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Plus, why the **** should we sign up for more stupid ass forums? I mean, really? Does anyone WANT more crap to log into?