mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Initial Review: B&M CYO-T and Toplight Plus

First paragraph is a cross-post from my Dummy thread over in Cargo Bikes. Images there if interested...

B&M LIGHTS: I've only temporarially routed the cables so I could go for this ride. I'll need to take a half hour or two this weekend to clean them up and make everything permanant. That said, these are great lights. The CYO-T provides an AMAZINGLY bright light, focused on the road as it should be. The wide-view running lights (the T in the model) provide good wide close-in light. The focused beam is good far away. I wasn't worried about missing things as I went around in the dark park, lightly lit side streets while viewing xmas lights, or on the major roads. The Toplight Plus tail light worked well, as far as I could tell. Every time I glanced back I could see a red glow following along behind. The standlight turns off with a switch when you reach your destination, which is a nice touch. I didn't have any worries about traffic between the two.

Everyone says that the B&M dynamo lights are the best. I can see why; reasonably priced (compared to other good lights), lots of light, easy to install, and weather-safe.

I originally ordered the CYO-RT (integrated reflector, wider beam, little less lumens). However, Harris Cyclery had a mixup with wrong SKU tags, and I ended up with the CYO-T. I'll have to commute with these for a few days before I decide if I'm going to exchange for the -RT, but right now I'm thinking that I won't bother. I have plenty of light, good enough close in vision, and am not interested in the (minor) hassle of exchange if it isn't going to be a big difference. The integrated reflector in the RT is nice as a last-ditch effort if the light goes out, but I can always stick a front reflector on if needed. As long as the light is working, there's really no reason to bother.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Evandy - Now that you've had this for 2.5 years, any issues? I'm looking for a light and it's between the Cyo Premium and Edelux II. Of course the Edelux is twice as expensive. If performance and reliability is the same, I'd rather go Cyo and spend less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I can't speak to the Cyo Premium, but I now have 2 Luxos B's on my other bikes... the Cyo is still a great light, but the Luxos B has a MUCH broader beam. I hear the Edelux II does as well. From what I saw at Peter White the Cyo Premium has a new reflector, so I'm not sure I'd compare it to the original Cyo...

I'd love to hear what you end up with, and how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think I will go with the Cyo Premium for now. If it doesn't work out, I'll install on the wife's bike, as she really doesn't ride at night much anyway. Then will probably spring for the SON Edelux. I've got a SON hub now and impressed with the quality.