Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Info received here has changed my thoughts on a light setup

A few weeks ago I posted about the Taz 800 and 1200 lights. I have listened to what you said. My current thought is to buy a good powerful flood light for my bars and a weaker spot light for my helmet. W

What do you think of the Light & Motion Seca-1700. The Gemini Duo or the NiteRider Pro-1800 for the bars? I can get a good deal on the Seca and the NiteRider is on sale at REI for $262. Action-Led-Lights has the Gemini for $206.

For the helmet I am thinking of the Gemini P-7 from Action-Led-Lights

mtbr member
    The Gemini Duo on the bars with a P7 on the helmet sounds like a great setup.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I spent all summer experimenting with different light combinations and it changed my opinion on what works best for me and I thought I'd share my results. For a bar light 1200 lumens (estimated) seemed to be the sweet spot. With a flood anything over that and the foregroung was so bright it limited my distance vision. I have a Gemini Olympia and I see better with it set 2 to3 steps down from max. For a helmet light the terrain I'm riding on makes a difference on what I prefer but It needs to be at least as powerful as the bar light or it gets drowned out and is of very little use. I think the Titan (I own 2) Is a great light and value, but used with the bar lights you mentioned just doesn't produce enough power or throw to be effective. You need something with an xml emitter to compliment these lights.

With the lights you mentioned here's what I recommend.

1) Run The Titam with a action wide angle lens ($4) for a bar light. It produces plenty of power to illuminate the trail in front and around you and with the addition of the action lens gives you a very broad even flood pattern.
    2) Use the Duo (I own 1) as a helmet light. It throws further that the Titan can and is more comfortable (lighter).
    3) Swich batteries. As delivered you would get a 4 hour runtime with the Titan (4 cell) and a 1.5 hour runtime with the Duo (2 cell) at max. Swiching you'd get 3 hr Duo and about 2 hrs. out of the Titan. I don't know about you but a 1.5 hr. ride is pretty short for me. This is of course provided you don't want to carry the batttery on your helmet in which case the 4 cell would be too heavy.

(Of course, this is just what would work best for me) Mole

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I own all three Gemini lights: Xera, Duo and Olympia. Two friends have the Seca 1700 and run them on the helmet. They are too large and heavy for the helmet IMO. The beam looks a lot like the Olympia and would be great for the handlebars. I personally find the Olympia/Xera combo to be about perfect; my wife runs this combo. I noticed the Oylmpia works best if it's aimed high so as to not overwhelm closer objects. She usually runs it at 60% or 80% levels with the Xera on high.

One of the main reasons I chose the Gemini lights had to do with battery compatibility. I have 4 older Magicshine batteries, chargers and extension cords. All are compatible (the batteries don't handle to 100% output of the Gemini lights very well, still having them as back-ups is nice).

Another thing to consider is that you can piece together light sytems from Action-Led and save a few bucks. If you got an Olympia, charger and 4-cell battery you'd spend about $230. A Xera, charger, battery and extension cord would only run about $166.

I also have 4 Magicshine 808s, 2 Niterider Minewt 600s and a Niteflux Photon Max. So, I've tried quite a few combos. The other night I ran an old 808 on the bars with the Duo on the handlebars. It actually worked well. However, it was not nearly as good as the Olympia/Xera (or Duo - on the helmet) combo. Just some thoughts, hope this helps.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I like the idea of being able to interchange batteries. The 2cel for the Titan on the helmet and the 4cel for the Duo on the bars should equalize the burn time. The Titan is supposed to have a spot beam(10 or 12deg I think) and the Duo more of a flood(14 or 16deg). I am still considering the Light & Motion Seca-1700 though i don't know if the batteries will work with a Gemini on the helmet. Everyone here seems to be very high on Gemini and one of the groups I will be riding with likes L&M.

mtbr member
    I also looked at the L & M Seca 1700 as I can also get a deal on it, but it only gets 1.5 hours on the highest setting. That's not really very long. It would make more sense to get the Duo since you would have to run the Seca at about 1400 lumens (or less) anyway if you plan to ride any longer than an hour an a half...

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    The Seca uses a 3cel battery. At 1700 burn time is 1.5 hrs at 850 burn time is 2.75 hrs. That is almost identical to the Gemini with the 2cel battery. The Gemini with a 4cel bumps 1400 burn to 3 hrs and 850 to 5.66 hrs. Definitely a big plus for the Gemini.

Being as I have never ridden at night with lights, how much time do you normally spend on high vs. a lower power. I have heard that going up at slow speeds you drop down to lower power and at high speeds bump it to high.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    Being as I have never ridden at night with lights, how much time do you normally spend on high vs. a lower power. I have heard that going up at slow speeds you drop down to lower power and at high speeds bump it to high.
    Slow trails and climbs are perfect times to lower the output. You will also find the weather and trail conditions play a role. This summer in dusty central Oregon, high beam was like riding in fog. Dust from the rider ahead reflects your light back in your eyes. Low setting was best for all riding unless in the front. Now in the wet season on heavily wooded western Oregon trails high get used a lot. Wet trails seem to suck up light.

I recently kept track of battery runtimes. My bar light has about 2.5 hrs on high. I totalled about 6 hrs riding time with a mix of low and high until it needed to be charged.