mtbr member

Important Flashlight / Torch Questions

I've been trying to figure out a good one to buy my wife. I have an MTE-15 with the P7 that just kicks butt. It runs off 1 18650 battery. So I assume it's built for the .8 to 4.2 volts

But there are a lot of XPG drop in's that need double the voltage or they only put out "half" or so lumens. For example that Thrunite XPG is listed at nearly 500 lumen but the voltage range is 3.3 to 9V. So does the thing run OK on 1 3.7V cell or does it need 2 or ??? There are a lot of other dropins that say 1 18650 OR 2 CR123A (or whatever those half sized ones are). I was told they will be much dimmer on the single big battery.

I'd like to get the Solarforce XPG 300 lumen dropin they have on sale for $19 but I don't want it to be less than the max with a single cell. Voltage range is "3 to 18V". Does it step up or just output less.

Any information appreciated.....
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the 18650 is designed to shut off around 2.8v ( i think) before the circuitry shuts off and protects the cell. Thrulite has 3 verisons to their drop ins, the one you're looking at is ideal for 2 battery either CR123 or 2 18650 which at full charge is 4.24v. Thrulite also has a drop in designed to run off a single cell 3.6v to 4.2v. LED is rated at 498 lumens @ 1.5amps but off the front has been test is around 395-400 real lumens with a fully charged 18650. Buy the solorforce body for $22 then add the thrulite 3.6v-4.2v drop in for another 35, given you have 18650 batteries and charger already

mtbr member
    Wouldn't 2 18650 be around 7.4 or 8 volts?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I've been trying to figure out a good one to buy my wife. I have an MTE-15 with the P7 that just kicks butt. It runs off 1 18650 battery. So I assume it's built for the .8 to 4.2 volts

But there are a lot of XPG drop in's that need double the voltage or they only put out "half" or so lumens. For example that Thrunite XPG is listed at nearly 500 lumen but the voltage range is 3.3 to 9V. So does the thing run OK on 1 3.7V cell or does it need 2 or ??? There are a lot of other dropins that say 1 18650 OR 2 CR123A (or whatever those half sized ones are). I was told they will be much dimmer on the single big battery.

I'd like to get the Solarforce XPG 300 lumen dropin they have on sale for $19 but I don't want it to be less than the max with a single cell. Voltage range is "3 to 18V". Does it step up or just output less.

Any information appreciated.....
    gticlay, you want to be very careful when buying drop-ins. The ones you see listed as 3.3-9V are designed to run with two 3.7V Li-ion cells. Some people have torches that have extensions that will allow two 18650's to be used....or....without the extension with two 16340's ( same voltage only smaller cells ). If you use torches that use a single 18650 it is better to buy a drop-in rated @ 4.2V max. The closer the driver is rated to the max voltage of your battery, the better it will run.

Read carefully when you buy the Thrunite XP-G drop-in. Not only does it come in different max voltage but you want to make sure to choose either the single mode ( on/off ) or mult-mode ( 1-3 ). I believe they also give you a choice of reflector as well, OP or Smooth. I was thinking of buying one of these myself but they are quite expensive ( $35 ) Drop-ins tend not to handle heat real well and these XP-G's are being driven at their max, in this case 1.5A. That is going to get real hot real fast. Not sure how well that will work when used as a bike light unless the drop-in is heat sunk real well.