dirty hippy mountainbiker

I love night riding

Rode a short loop last night. The moon was low so it was totally dark w/o the lights. Temp was perfect and not a soul on what would otherwise be crowded trails.

Setup: jet x-52 on bar and Jet f-U2 on helmet. The hot center of the X-52 worked well on the bar as it cast shadows of rocks and logs under the bright, more even beam of the F-U2.

I love night riding-image.jpg

I love night riding-image.jpg

Awesome ride!

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd love to try night riding, but I haven't got lights.

Also scared of meeting a pedo lurking a track..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The only thing you have to fear is crashing and being stuck in the dark for 8 hours or something like that. The pedo's and lions take care of themselves. Maybe carry a knife just in case.

turtles make me hot
    I started night riding a couple of years ago. It quickly became one of my favorite things.
    I also learned the chances of running into anyone in the woods at night is zero. Without lights, it's freakin' dark.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm also into urban night riding and I hit the streets between 7PM to 11PM. To be visible I have highly reflectorized strips on my helmet, my shoes and my shirts. I have a red LED blinker on my bike and also on my helmet. To light my way, I have a 500mW Cree flashlight on an 18650 battery strapped on my helmet. I just love this flashlight as it gives me extreme visibility at night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The only problem I have using a bright Cree flashlight on my helmet at night is that I can see all the junk flying particles and insects being sucked into my gaping wide air intake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You guys who are buying modern lights have nothing to worry about compared to 25+yrs ago when we rode with 1st generation lights with bulbs and massive batteries and live circuits...Now that was living!

We rarely made it through a ride without someones lights crapping out. Its even more fun to ride behind the only guy with working lights at 2AM in a thick and rough forest 30min drive from civilization, when its raining.

Those were the days......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I love night riding

Uphill both ways too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I started night riding a couple of years ago. It quickly became one of my favorite things.
    I also learned the chances of running into anyone in the woods at night is zero. Without lights, it's freakin' dark.
    When I read this I just had to smile. "Usually" this is very true. However when you least expect it....

I've told this story before so bear with me. Coming back from one of my "moonlight" rides last year I almost ran into a couple of people. I was approaching the end of my ride and wanted to run "stealth mode" ( no lights ) so I wouldn't attract attention. As I rounded a corner ( riding only with moon light ) I suddenly heard a person call out right in front of me. Good thing they did that or I would of mowed them down toot-sweet. I stopped and turned my lights on to see two people standing in front of me ( guy and gal ) out for a moonlight stroll. They too were not using a lamp. Just when you least expect it...

mtbr member
    One of my favorite things to do is ride at night. The downside is all of the parks near me,(North OC Calif.), close at dusk. In the last year the "rangers" have become real PIA about it. Something about "molesting the serenity of the wildlife" BS. More like rich people who live around the parks complaining.

Level 5 Rider!
    Totally going to do this, but I would like to have some daytime experience before I go night riding. Looks fun though.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

Merendon Junkie
    I love night riding, I often wish to just solo out into the mountains and come back whenever I please. Sadly, we have to limit our "high" mountain night rides to large groups and only do them a couple of times a year. The problem beign that the mountains that sorround my home city are riddled with gangsters. Not italian style, nice clothing wearing gangster, but zombie like, low level criminals called "mareros". It has gotten very bad in the last couple of years and they have invaded almost all of the safe havens we had for mountain biking. They dont dwell deep in the mountains, but you have to get close to them as you leave the city through the mountain trails. I hate these guys with all my gut as they severely limit the freedom of the people in my country. Its real shame, as we have been blessed with a country filled with incredible vistas and the most incredible tropical moutain landscapes I have ever seen. The mountains are endless here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I love night riding-maras6.jpg  

I love night riding-monta%F1-3.jpg  

I love night riding-add-image_3.jpg  

I love night riding-sps-mountains.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Light freak
    Wow abelfonseca, and I thought it sucked that only a few places are legal to night ride close by. I really feel for you not being able to enjoy the beautiful nature in your country. How about during the daytime, is it safe to ride in the mountains?

Last edited by scar; 07-11-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Merendon Junkie
    Yes scar, it is sad. We ride the mountains all the time during the day and sometimes at night but we always ride in groups. These guys (mareros) are really not interested in messing with a group of mountain bikers as they would have little to gain and would probably get some heat from the cops as it would draw a lot of attention. They are more interested in organized types of crime like drug dealing and trafficking, enforcing for cartels, collecting "protection" money (extortion) from businesses, kidnappings etc.
    If you were to be wondering alone through their turf, that would be a different story they could see you as an easy target to kidnap. Or they could do some friendly questioning as to what you are doing there.

I find the idea of riding alone at night in the middle of the mountains with just my lights paving the way very appealing, and that is what I am unable to do.
    I have a dream that is to solo the country coast to coast on my mountain bike through the mountains, riding day and night. Lodging at the small mountain towns on the way. But with the current state of affairs, it would be too risky of an ordeal.

One more shot of the mountains.
    I love night riding-merendon.jpg

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I did a ride last night with a 550 lumen Halogen. The diffuse yellow light doesn't show the dust at all. The guys I was riding with we're burning high power LEDs and had to space out a bunch due to the dust.

But they had to be in front of me or I couldn't see past my own shadow...

-Mike
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    I don't think i would ride a trail at night to be honest - i love the smell of grass and flowers in the sun - i love how it makes you feel one with nature.

Riding on the street though is another thing ! Once i tried riding the street at night i don't even want to ride it during the day any more ! Because during the day in the city a biker is just a speck of dust - you're swarmed by the traffic, nobody sees you, and you're just waiting for some SUV to run you over. At night on the other hand 80% of the traffic is gone, and because unlike the Cars you're not subject to government regulations ( in the USA ) your lights can actually be much brighter than car lights which makes you feel like you own the street instead of just being some insignificant roadkill in waiting.

also the city air tends to be fresh at night and full of car exhaust during the day, so in this respect as well riding at night is more pleasant.

when i lived in California i loved the hilly trails during the day, but here in Brooklyn i prefer to ride at night.

well, that's just my personal perspective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just bought bar end lights to enhance my night riding visibility. I saw these when I rode with a friend who has a set during one night ride. I was amazed at the complete profile of the bike can be seen even from afar. It's like navigational lights for boats. Drivers can see exactly where the bike's handlebar ends.

I love night riding-%24t2ec16vhjhqffhuydyhwbrz6fqbwgq%7E%7E60_3.jpg

They are about $4-10 a pair. I bought 2 pairs for my two bikes unfortunately, it doesn't fit my Giant stock handlebar. It fits the other one easily though.

mtbr member
    what kind of lighting set you got for your night riding?
    Xeccon: Stay Safe, Stay Ahead