mtbr member

i can't believe this !

so after deciding that mounting the 400R on the back of the helmet is basically impossible i go and order an extra battery and charger for my Seca instead.

15 minutes later i decide, just in case, to see if the aero seatpost mount from Dinotte could attach to the back of the Ionos helmet and ...

IT FITS LIKE A GLOVE !

it mounts the 400R on my helmet more securely than any other helmet mount i have used and it is smaller and lighter and gives me the full range of adjustment that i need !

FUUUUUU ...

beause i already spent all the money on the Battery just 15 minutes ago ! LOLOLOLOL

damn !

i sent an e-mail to the store to ask to cancel the battery and charger orders ( they're from different stores ) we'll see what happens ...

damn this always happens ! i have no idea why !

holdon i'll take a picture of the 400R installed on the helmet !

mtbr member
    the fit is absolutely perfect. this is ridiculous ! it's like the mount was custom made for the Ionos helmet !

and unlike the Dinotte Helmet mount with this setup i could still use the Quick Release mechanism !

i will need to call up the stores tomorrow to make sure they cancelled my battery and charger orders ...

pics:

mtbr member
    And here is how the NiteFlux RZ8 mounts as a side-light. It actually mounts better on the side than on the back. The back of Ionos is quite bumpy so hard to mount anything to it conventionally - but this aero seatpost thing works perfectly, and the RZ8 mounts very well to the side - much better than it mounts to the back.

damn i need to cancel those Light & Motion orders ...

as you can see the RZ8 is aimed almost perfectly sideways, which is great. because even though it is very floody it is still also quite directional too.

also the lights have to be mounted that high up in order to make sure the helmet still protects in case of a crash. mounting the light low on the helmet could cause it to penetrate the helmet in case of impact against the pavement. but it is highly unlikely that the pavement will hit the helmet from above or from the back, so that's where the lights i think should ideally be placed.

most of the time the impact occurs to the side of the helmet, so in this prototype setup i haven't placed any lights in that area.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So now you need to order another rz8 and the 400r daytime instead. Probably would have been good if the rz8 came with an amber color for side type lights.

From the top shot the 400 seems to be sticking off the back pretty far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    So now you need to order another rz8 and the 400r daytime instead. Probably would have been good if the rz8 came with an amber color for side type lights.

From the top shot the 400 seems to be sticking off the back pretty far.
    it does stick out but that's actually good - it helps counter-balance the weight of the headlights on the front.

yes i need to order another RZ8 and Daytime Red. i can't afford any of this but we'll see what happens.

i need to cancel the L&M stuff first.

mtbr member
    so i tried this on and it was imbalanced - too nose-heavy. so i i moved the RZ8 further to the back, and the balance improved dramatically.

in this configuration RZ8 becomes a side/rear hybrid light. it's not ideal - i would have preferred to aim it sideways at 90 degrees - but with this weight balance is more important.

also moving the RZ8 further to the back improves helmet performance in a crash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Awesome! Let's see that baby in action and burn some pupils!

mtbr member
    I was able to cancel my L&M Battery and Charger orders, however at that point it was already Friday Night and since nobody would process new orders until Monday Morning anyway i decided to sleep on the thought, so i haven't ordered anything yet.

mtbr member
    Whatever you do don't lose that helmet! It is a very expensive one with all that hardware on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    Whatever you do don't lose that helmet! It is a very expensive one with all that hardware on it.
    LOL don't even joke like that

mtbr member
    Get two tsl-2500's for the side of your helmet. Lol

mtbr member
    well that makes it official - i am mentally ill. and i don't even know if i am joking. for somebody in my financial situation i really shouldn't have done it ... but i did.

ordered Dinotte 400R Daytime Red with 4 Cell battery and NiteFlux Red Zone 8.

i wish i could say i am excited about this but actually i am rather sort of worried about my mental health ...

but enough negativity.

i decided to go with 4 cell over the 2 cell because that will give 12 hours of "consistent with pulse burst" mode over 6 hours of the 2 cell. now i will never need 12 hours however that was not the question - the question was whether 6 hours will be enough ? and considering that this 6 hours may be 5 hours in real world will 5 hours be enough ? i decided that going over 5 hours on a ride is realistic so for extra 13% cost i decided to go for some peace of mind on that one.

if only NiteFlux offered such options ! you only get 4 hours on full power with Red Zone 8 - you will need to go into hidden modes to extend that run time by lowering output on the NiteFlux. with 400R you can just get a 12 hour battery - the 400R really is king of tail lights ( not counting DesignShine here due to poor availability ).

this 400R vs RZ8 is a classic example of the tradeoff between self-contained and wired system. the output of the two systems is similar, but the wired system has longer run time. the 300R on the other hand still has 12 hour run time ( on pulse ) but at lower output level.

the 4 cell battery is intended to go on the frame, and the 2 cell in the hydration pack.

anyway, if you people are lucky, you might even get to see a video comparison between 400R and 400R Daytime Red in the future. however i don't promise anything, because i don't believe in promises - even my own.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think you should order gooseneck attachments for your lighting devices so you can point all those lighting devices on yourself. Light therapy works wonders for mental illness.

Carbon & Ti rule
    So why do you feel the need to do this ??????

Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    well that makes it official - i am mentally ill. and i don't even know if i am joking. for somebody in my financial situation i really shouldn't have done it ... but i did.

ordered Dinotte 400R Daytime Red with 4 Cell battery and NiteFlux Red Zone 8.

i wish i could say i am excited about this but actually i am rather sort of worried about my mental health ...

but enough negativity.

i decided to go with 4 cell over the 2 cell because that will give 12 hours of "consistent with pulse burst" mode over 6 hours of the 2 cell. now i will never need 12 hours however that was not the question - the question was whether 6 hours will be enough ? and considering that this 6 hours may be 5 hours in real world will 5 hours be enough ? i decided that going over 5 hours on a ride is realistic so for extra 13% cost i decided to go for some peace of mind on that one.

if only NiteFlux offered such options ! you only get 4 hours on full power with Red Zone 8 - you will need to go into hidden modes to extend that run time by lowering output on the NiteFlux. with 400R you can just get a 12 hour battery - the 400R really is king of tail lights ( not counting DesignShine here due to poor availability ).

this 400R vs RZ8 is a classic example of the tradeoff between self-contained and wired system. the output of the two systems is similar, but the wired system has longer run time. the 300R on the other hand still has 12 hour run time ( on pulse ) but at lower output level.

the 4 cell battery is intended to go on the frame, and the 2 cell in the hydration pack.

anyway, if you people are lucky, you might even get to see a video comparison between 400R and 400R Daytime Red in the future. however i don't promise anything, because i don't believe in promises - even my own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you go broke and homeless because of spending all this money on bike lights, at least folks here won't have to read your incessant yapping when you can't pay your internet bills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    I think you should order gooseneck attachments for your lighting devices so you can point all those lighting devices on yourself. Light therapy works wonders for mental illness.
    it would be nice to have a couple dozen of these in my room:

Lumiram Electric Corporation - F32W-1XX 6500K 98CRI

another thing to consider would be an ionizer to pump some negative ions into the air - it has a similar effect on depression as bright white light.

basically indoor conditions lack both bright white light and negative ions and lack of either one can cause depression.

problem is that ionizers are harder to shop for than lights - because it's hard to tell what you're getting. i picked up the model that was successfully used in clinical trials and was known to be very powerful but it made a high pitched whine noise that i couldn't stand so i returned it the same day - the noise drove me nuts.

mtbr member
    Really want to see the 400s at night especially the daytime red!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Really want to see the 400s at night especially the daytime red!
    if i am in position to make an interesting video i usually do. i just don't like to make promises. thanks for expressing interest in the 400R. i think JohnJ80 may be interested as well because he seems to enjoy blinding people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    So why do you feel the need to do this ??????
    here in NYC it is rarely sunny and there is a lot of street lighting so there is almost not much difference between day and night in terms of lighting conditions. it is not too bright during the day ( clouds, buildings, trees ) and not too dark at night ( street lights, headlights etc ) so you need a bright tail light at night to compete with all the light pollution and at the same time you can still use a tail light during the day because a lot of the time the day will be quite dark and it will be very visible.

so the way i justified the upgrades to myself is as follows:

i concluded that i need the Daytime Red on seatpost to increase safety during the day. but as i already had the 400R on seatpost, and the 400R being much brighter than RZ8 on back of my helmet i concluded that i must then replace the RZ8 on back of my helmet with my 400R. but then i had no use for the RZ8 so i concluded that i must mount it to the side of the helmet, but then i needed a second one for symmetry on the other side.

LOL ! on a more serious note though :

i also wanted to have full 360 degree coverage at helmet height level. i didn't think it is enough to have lighting on the level of spoke lights or seatpost as that is too low to the ground and can easily be obstructed by cars or shrubs.

on the other hand i don't believe having 360 degree coverage on helmet and nothing else is enough either, because a helmet is effectively a single point and a single point light source is difficult for driver to identify as a bike.

therefore i believe in 360 degree coverage on helmet level to ensure i am detected in any scenario, but also i believe in good spoke lights to ensure i am correctly identified as a bicycle and also to enable the driver to judge my speed and direction of travel effectively.

i also believe in a seatpost mounted tail light because it ensures the most effective beam alignment along the road.

finally i believe blink patterns are most effective when they are allowed to stand on their own and not mixed with other blink patterns that may turn everything into a mush. for this reason i believe different blinkys must be either separated from each other by sufficient distance ( such as helmet to seatpost distance ) or must be aimed orthogonal to each other ( at 90 degree angles ) such as what i plan to have on the helmet - 3 blinkys at 90 degree angles to each other. this way i hope that blink patterns will be distinict and more "punchy" instead of turning into a mush.

this was the logic ...

but the proof is in the pudding. i will need to do a video in heavy rush hour traffic at sunset to really stress this system and test whether the theory is borne out in practice.

it is easy for lights to look effective in a park-like environment like my last video. that last video was primarily to show the beam pattern of the Dosun D400, in order for which i needed a darker environment. on the other hand the same lights look much less conspicuous on a road with massive street lights, dozens of cars with HID lights etc.