Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hunk Lee Batteries??

I was looking at purchasing some additional batteries on E-bay as back up and I see that he charges no shipping fees! What time length should I expect to wait to receive my batteries from China?? 2/3/4 weeks??

mtbr member
    Right now shipping to Canada is very slow. Not Hunk Lee's fault- something about the US and Canada forbidding air shipping for lithium batteries. Other items from Hunk Lee like chargers and connectors come very fast.
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 01-03-2015 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Shipping Li-ion batteries via Air from China is still prohibitive. Still Hunk Lee has managed to find a way to ship his batteries to the USA without too much delay.. The one I have took a little over two weeks ( east coast USA ) which is pretty much the normal time it took to get items shipped from China before the new restrictions took effect.

Keep in mind that it's the holiday season, things may take a little longer depending on where you live and available stock. Hopefully others will chime in with their own HLee shipping experiences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Less then two weeks to the east coast and an additional week over to me in CA. Once it hit the US tracking started working, well it was tracked as well as any USPS parcel is which isn't very well

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How about reliability and run times? I've been burned by knockoff batteries before, being total garbage. Are these for real and as good as OEM batteries?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bought a 13600mah pack from him so yeah that's twice the size of any OEM battery but after 4hr of solid night riding last night I only used half its capacity. My hobby charger only registered 5567mah replenished so that battery is going to just go forever. The only hangup is what connector comes on the end and how you plan to water/dust proof the pack after you get it. Plasti dip works to water proof the pack and you can request what connector end he gives you within a few choices I hear. I was ok the the connect he just happen to give me a default so no complains here.

mtbr member

Hunk Lee Batteries??

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    How about reliability and run times? I've been burned by knockoff batteries before, being total garbage. Are these for real and as good as OEM batteries?
    I've been using the 5800mah pack for months now without issue. For the price they're hard to beat. That said, a 4S DiNotte battery is 2x the price but comes in a solid waterproof case.
    Draft College Republicans

Just Ride !
    Heres a thought Xeccon Samsung 8.4V 7800mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Soft Shell Battery
    Got one of these in 3days , outstanding battery with top notch waterproof connector and come with a very very nice Neoprene pouch .
    Mountain Biking in and around KC.

mtbr member
    Just as good!! Don't hesitate to buy from him!!
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 12-13-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ordered the 4-cell 6800mah pack for my Gloworm X2!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Hunk Lee Batteries??

Ordered the 4-cell 6800mah pack for my Gloworm X2!
    It's been exactly 2 weeks since my pal hunk shipped my battery and the tracking number still comes up as invalid or the usps site. I guess it still hasn't hit the US yet? I'm on the east coast.

mtbr member
    It's been exactly 2 weeks since my pal hunk shipped my battery and the tracking number still comes up as invalid or the usps site. I guess it still hasn't hit the US yet? I'm on the east coast.
    FWIW...none of the tracking #'s I ever got from China meant anything. Because of the holidays maybe you'll get it sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cool thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Got my Hunk Lee batteries today. They look great.

The connector works fine on my Gloworm lights. I have a picture below of the Magicshine extension (left) and Hunk Lee connector (right). The hunk lee is a bit shorter so probably provides slightly less waterproofing, but it still snaps on nicely and nothing is exposed. It's certainly good enough for me.

I'd say my only concern is how solid the wire is connected to the battery pack, and whether it will come undone as the cable is inevitably yanked around. This happened to my cheap MJ808 knockoff battery - the wires shredded where they were soldered to the battery. I may try to reinforce it somehow before doing the plasti-dip dance.

In terms of delivery time, it took 2 weeks and 3 days to get to the east coast, spanning Christmas. I ordered the second battery 3 days later and it arrived at the same time. Tracking started working the day before they were delivered.

mtbr member
    Got my Hunk Lee batteries today. They look great...

...In terms of delivery time, it took 2 weeks and 3 days to get to the east coast, spanning Christmas. I ordered the second battery 3 days later and it arrived at the same time. Tracking started working the day before they were delivered.
    Glad that all worked out for you. The connector they used looks like the type for Solarstorm lamps. Like I mentioned before these work pretty good with standard Magicshine type ( male ) connectors. Did you request this type of connector or did they just use these?

Shipping times seemed pretty normal for something coming out of China. Apparently H-Lee has something worked out as far as air shipments go. Didn't surprise me that the tracking didn't start until it hit your local Post office. Now if you have an account with the Postal Service you might be able to get an e-mail notifying you of the parcel in advance but personally I've never tried to set that up myself. Would be nice to do though so I could leave the postman an advanced notice to leave the package in my ( locked ) mailbox or to *knock on my door. ( *which they never seem to do anymore ).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

The connector works fine on my Gloworm lights. I have a picture below of the Magicshine extension (left) and Hunk Lee connector (right).
    Update on this. It works fine with the gloworm light, but it didn't work quite right with the magicshine extension cable I have (from action led). The plastic opening was a hair too tight to snap on, so it would slide off easily. I filed out the H Lee connector hole just a bit with a round file and it now attaches firmly. It doesn't snap, it just kind of wedges on there, but it works.

A bit strange that it works with one but not the other. I guess there's a wide range of tolerances.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Did you request this type of connector or did they just use these?
    I requested a "weatherproof cable with magicshine adapter" I also requested a slightly longer cable on one of them (8 inches) and they spliced in some extra wire for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    After plasti-dipping, and adding the "Mounting strap for MagicShine Hardshell Batteries" from Action-LED. Note these are the 4-cell straps but they're big so they fit the 6-cell Hunk Lee battery fine. It's tight to get it on, but it stays put nicely.

First I used tight wraps of electrical tape to firm up where the cable enters the battery. Then I sprayed with 5-coats of plasti-dip. The spray was a bit of a pain but the 6-cell wouldn't fit in the can.

mtbr member
    Looks good ^
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Nicely done.

mtbr member
    I ordered mine on December 16th and received them yesterday. A little over 3 weeks for shipping. Going to try them out tomorrow evening.

mtbr member
    Rode last night with my hunk battery for the first time. I have the 6200mah 4 cell pack attached to a Solarstorm XT40. My ride was 1 hour on low to grind up a fire road and then about 1.5 hours on high on the descent. When I got back to the car I had one light out of three on the battery meter. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    Rode last night with my hunk battery for the first time. I have the 6200mah 4 cell pack attached to a Solarstorm XT40. My ride was 1 hour on low to grind up a fire road and then about 1.5 hours on high on the descent. When I got back to the car I had one light out of three on the battery meter. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.
    I can't be the only one here more impressed by the fact that you have a 1.5hr descent that only requires 1hr of climbing over your awesome batteries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    I can't be the only one here more impressed by the fact that you have a 1.5hr descent that only requires 1hr of climbing over your awesome batteries.
    It's tiger mountain in Washington. The last 30 minutes of the ride is more of a traverse and there was some rest stops along the way but still a good 45 minutes of Un interrupted downhill goodness.

There's probably some folks that go a lot faster than I do as well.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    Sounds like the battery is holding up very well. The XT40 only has three indicator lights. How they are spaced ( voltage wise ) is any ones guess.

The only down side of the XT40 is that the low mode is still quite bright. If you're doing a slow climb up a mountain even on low the lamp is using more power than you probably need. If you're doing mountain climbs at night ( on fire roads ) you might consider getting one of the KD2 Duo clones. With the 10-level sub menu you can program the lamp for a low mode that will use just the output you actually need for those slow long climbs. Been a while for me since I've done a long fire road ascent but when I do I find I can get by using just over a 100 lumen on the bars. The XT40 has to be close to 300 lumen on low. Way more than you need for a long slow fire road climb.

How are you using the XT40? Bars or helmet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast