mtbr member
    Jan 2013

How to start? Enlighten a noob

It is hot as the devil here in Georgia right now, and I am also naturally nocturnal as is my lady, so I/we am/are wanting to try out some night riding. I've never tried it, don't know anyone who does it, and could wind up hating it. That said I still want to try it, how can you cheaply (less than $100 per bike would be ideal, I was hoping I could get my feet wet for about half that) go about getting the proper light rig to try it out? I see a few kits that are insanely priced, is that how you roll or is there something I'm missing? I am pretty handy so I'm cool with a little DIY, but I don't have a bunch of extra time to invest sourcing doo-dads and building components, so as off the shelf as possible would be great.
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know its tricky because there is so much information overload on here - but the answers are there, with a bit of reading. Maybe some others will take the time to give a nicer summary for you, but here's my take:

If you're trying to keep it cheap, you're looking at the chinese knock off stuff. Generally the consensus is: it works, the batteries can be suspect, and you generally get what you pay for.

check out retailers like action-tec, they have good reputations and decent products - pricing is in the middle.

want to save more? you buy from deal-extreme, kaidomain, or other china-direct places and cross your fingers.

Personally? I decided to get two small flashlights: find the "dealextreme torch" thread. I think you can do better now (maybe), but it was an easy way in for me. I don't like cords, so the all-in-one of a torch was the deciding factor in my decisions.

good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've done a lot of mtn and road night-riding and have a lot of interest in lights. So... if I were to start from scratch... here is my two cents.

Are you looking at doing night-riding on roads and occasionally off-road? Or, are you going to hit the knarly, single-track right away?

The reason I ask is that, personally, I find it helps to have quite a bit more output (at least 500 lumens or more) for fast, single-track trails but you don't need as much if you're doing mainly road and only some off-road (I started with only a 200 lumen light strapped to my helmet when I first hit the single-track trails).

Also, if you don't know too much about lights but want to DIY, you will need to find out about soldering, do a ton of reading as you need see what's out there for LED's, housings and battery pack builds. Personally, I've built a few battery packs and have done a few, small projects with swapping emitters but I shy away from doing a build from scratch since I don't have the patience or advanced skill. If you have the patience, then that's the route but it may take some time to ramp-up your knowledge.

The alternative is off-the-shelf. As suggested, try Deal Extreme for some cheap setups, look for XML or XML2 emitters as they give you a lot of output (some approaching 800-1000 lumens). You can even try single- or triple-XPG / XPG2 / XPE / XPE2 emitters for more throw but you will need the triples for more output. Check out the Fenix BT10 for a decent setup, especially with the 4xAA version that is just around $100 - only problem is that the max output for that one is 350. That's good for most night-riding but not quite enough for fast fire-roads / singletrack. You can also try Magicshine for some good-priced XML / XML2 lights.

Good luck and post any other questions you may have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: How to start? Enlighten a noob

for one hundred you can get a cygolite expilion which i think will be enough light for a decent go-around on the trails for an hour and a half. i love nite riding, so if you find you like it, you will end up getting one more light like me, one for helmet and one for handle bar

Happy Trails

How to start? Enlighten a noob

I'm a was-newb .... Now completed four rides. Two big group rides, 16 and 20 miles; one solo Ez short ride; and one technical solo ride in the wild desert. My advice is : 1) don't screw with cheap lights. Get good stuff. Alone in the dark would be a bummer. I'm using two Exposure Diablo IV's (about 500 lumens each at 3 hour setting). Use two lights, one on the helmet and one on the bar; and 2) find some groups to ride with.

mtbr member
    for the city with street lights i think $100 could be made to work. a magicshine in the front ( on the helmet ) and some blinky in the back, plus reflective clothing.

on the trail however you would probably want more fire-power from the bar and helmet lights than you could get for $100. even if you go with magicshine the bigger magicshines are over 100 ...

i would also suggest that for a trail you will probably want two lights in the front - one on the bar and one on the helmet. the two lights should be of approximately equal output ( the helmet light can be brighter ) but the bar light should have a flood pattern while the helmet light should be more focused. with a single light ( even if it is a helmet light ) it may feel a bit claustrophobic because you would not be able to illuminate your trajectory and whatever you want to glance at sideways at the same time.

so if you're looking at 2 lights in the front + a blinkie on the back you're looking at about $110 + $110 + $30 = $250 or so for a basic setup ...

of course you could ride with ANY light - you would simply be riding your brakes all the way down depending on how inadequate your light was ...

mtbr member
    I did my first nightride in the woods last week. My light was a niterider MiNewt Mini.150-USB (150 lumens). For level groung and climbing i was able to go 80-90% of my daytime speed on the same trail. Downhill I was around 40-50% of daytime pace. It was a blast! I am gouing to get additional lighting to use with this for better light and to have a backup.

I also used this on a bike path that runs out of town, around town on the roads, and on the road outside out of town.

I will be using this on my loaner bike for my friends when i get something a little better.