mtbr member
    Dec 2010

How do you carry your battery...

Hey all,
    I have a problem....
    I have a NiteRider Helmet light with a pretty good sized battery. For the last few years I have been carrying it attached to the front strap of my camelback. This allows quick access if I need to turn the light off in case I need to.

Issue is, that I hate having the camelback on for winter riding. I'm already overloaded with clothing and the camelback and clothing tend to bunch up at my neck and the back of the helmet. I need a way to carry the battery similar to the camelback w/o the camelback.

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thx

Mark

mtbr member
    Just toss in your jersey pocket...that is what I do with mine...even under a jacket.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slarti View Post
    Hey all,
    I have a problem....
    I have a NiteRider Helmet light with a pretty good sized battery. For the last few years I have been carrying it attached to the front strap of my camelback. This allows quick access if I need to turn the light off in case I need to.

Issue is, that I hate having the camelback on for winter riding. I'm already overloaded with clothing and the camelback and clothing tend to bunch up at my neck and the back of the helmet. I need a way to carry the battery similar to the camelback w/o the camelback.

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thx

Mark
    Hey Mark,

This is a new accessory Xeccon will release. It's a harness for batteries less than 150 grams without battery. Not sure how comfortable it'll be if you need the NR battery in front due to the switch but guess it's like having a GoPro chest harness only heavier. You may be able to cut, glue and sew up something since cheap bags with useful straps are available everywhere.

Leonard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you carry your battery...-4.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    I actually seem to remember that there was some type of belt to hold my old Vistalite battery...kind of like a fanny pack.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the input. I've been thinking of possibly using a Molli vest or something similar. The go pro chest vest is a possibility as well since I own one of those. The back pocket is out as it would be a real bear to get to the thing to turn it off...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    One of Osprey's stows may work, depending on just how big the battery is.

mtbr member
    Hey all,
    I have a problem....

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thx

Mark
    I understand the problem. While I don't use the Camelback brand any longer I do use a hydration back pack year round. Things do get a bit tight in the winter with extra clothing. Still, hard to believe your helmet hit's the top of the pack. Did you try readjusting the shoulder straps to make them longer? Might be time to shop around for a better winter alternative.

Luckily for me I have a Goretex winter jacket with a lower rear zip pocket. I could use that if wanted to but then you have to deal with all the wire flapping around on your back.

One Gear
    I ditched my Camelback a long time ago. They invented a great thing, but several companies since then have perfected the pack. You need something that sits on the lower part of your back. The Wingut bags are awesome. Hold a ton of gear if you want and compress down when you don't. I usually ride with 2 batteries in this one in addition to the usual daytime stuff. Still plenty of room if I need to take a long sleeve jersey off.

Wingnut

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey all,
    I have a problem....

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thx

Mark
    I have seen batteries being straped to the back of the helmet with velcro, but it does depends how heavy your battery is as this may unbalance your lid!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Under the Stem
    Bill

'95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR
    (Northern N.J.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have not gotten my helmet light yet. but I always want to put my batteries where there easy to get to in case something happens to them I can get them off me quick

trail projectile
    I have an ergon brand pack and it rides very low in my back. Not an option for everyone but thought I'd mention it. (Awesome pack for many reasons...)

There's another small maker of packs out there that makes them ride low but I can't remember the name. I remember they almost seemed handmade, USA, out west somewhere.