mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hope 4 or lupine tesla 4

Hello,

I narrowed my decision on one of the two sets above for some nightriding on my local trails (merely woods and single tracks).

What would be the better deal?

Thanks in advance.

fbb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can't comment on the Lupine, but I've just bought a Hope 4.

When I first turned it on in the dusk of the Peak District I was initially underwhelmed. With no defined pinpoint of light the beam looked a bit washed out. However, as things got darker my opinion shifted.

There's still no hot spot which can feel a bit strange when riding with other people who have spots. It is brighter in the centre, but the level of light reduces evenly out to the peripherals, the four individual optics directing light forward, down and side to side.

The white light is a good tone, without being too harsh and gives excellent detail and perception to what lies ahead. I'm finding I'm not missing a spot, having everything lit evenly is a nice light to ride with. I think quoted lumens @ 960 are theoretical and if L&M's tests are to be believed, I think it's below 700. It's plenty bright enough for me though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I reckon Hope 4 should pump out more light at maximum than the Tesla, can't comment on quality of the beam or light colour/tint.

If you need the additional 'spot' light, you could always get a nice spot beam torch like a Fenix TK11 or Eagletac T10L/T100C2 and helmet mount.