db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hobby Charger for MS style batteries

I recently recieved in the mail new batteries replacing the original MS ones - I bought the NCR18650's from Kaidomain. While I can use the original MS changer that I have I had thought about a Hobby Charger.
    Any recommendations? also anything special to consider hooking up the charger to the battery pack?

Thanks in advance

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Truly there is no need for a hobby charger. The standard wall chargers work just fine and you can get better ones that charge faster.

There's just no real way to make use of a hobby charger with these battery packs unless your one of us that do a lot of testing and such.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    A hobby charger (a "good" one and not a Chinese knock-off unreliable one) will be a "better" charger in the sense that you can control charging current (i.e. do a "quick charge" if needed), trust it to be charging with a proper CV/CC Li-Ion charging algorithm, and rely on it to completely stop the charging process. If you have discharge ability you can check capacity of your batteries to see how they are holding up. You will NOT have balance charging ability without adding in balance leads, so you won't get that benefit anyway.

While being a very good option, it's quite a jump in price. I don't keep up with them to recommend a "budget" one. One thing to be aware of is that they often require a separate power supply which then brings the price even higher.

For me, I decided to go with an rebranded iCharger 206B bought from a US Hobby webshop. It was a good deal, but still ran me +/- $70 and required me to build a D.I.Y. a power supply for it. I had decided I wanted at least 2A discharge rate ability and preferred USB logging output. I can tell you now, that none of the "budget" ones that I'm aware of will do over 1A discharging. I first went with my lowest cost choice with a built-in AC power supply, but testing showed it wouldn't hold 2A discharge (barely held over 1A) and the reported mAh's were completely wrong. It just turned out to be unreliable junk.

I'd suggest sticking with a known good wall-wart style Li-Ion charger (and spend the money on a "good" one; don't trust any ol' Chinese charger.

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you go with a hobby charger then you should add a balancing connection to the pack. In my experience you will get much longer life from Li-Ion cells when they are regularly balanced
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you all for the responces.. while I can appreciate using the wall charger
    I'd be interested in seeing if I get better battery life from using a hobby charger.

Garrybunk.. I'll look around for iCharger (or something simular) thank you

Vancbiker.. can you link information as to adding a balancing connection?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good price performance if you don't need very special features or high power are Turnigy from Hobbyking: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/chargers...r-dc-only.html

Last time I've purchased https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...v-capable.html for a friend but it needed some firmware poking/tweaking to get it run correctly for packs without balancing leads. If you don't need much discharge power then even https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...v-capable.html is good enough.

If you need more the https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...e-charger.html is copy of iCharger 106B+ which I use quite often.

mtbr member
    db9,
    See this thread where I posted pics of my custom built pack with balance charging lead and protection circuit.

-Garry