The Dog.

High Pitched Sound from Light & Motion Taz 1500?

High folks-

Hoping to appeal to some folks with more experience and expertise on these things.

I recently purchased a Taz 1500. After using SECAs in years past and seeing the beam pattern of my girlfriend's Urban 700, I knew that I wanted a L&M for night/snow riding this year.

The box arrived, and I opened it with the greatest of anticipation. The light is beautiful, compact, and everything I had hoped...until I turned it on. On high, it sends a glorious, crushingly bright rectangular beam pattern out. On medium, low, pulse, it also sends out a loud, super-high pitched sound that gave me a headache for about an hour. I charged it up, and let it run a little bit with the same result. I thought, "you're just being sensitive." So, I took it outside hoping that it wouldn't be so noticeable there. But it was.

I contacted the ebay seller, who very graciously offered to take it back under warranty. So, I sent the light back.

Today, I received a message from her that the L&M rep had actually stopped by their shop, inspected the light, and stated that this was normal. She also said that several SECA's, a Taz 1200, and even some Lezyne's made similar sounds and that this is inherent to high powered LEDs.

I have owned a Magicshine 1000, held an operating taz 1200 in my hands, and used SECAs for several night races. I also have a nightrider lumina 700, and I have used my gf's urban 700. I have never heard anything like this before.

At this point, I am attributing the difference in experiences here to variations in high frequency hearing. And I do not believe that this sound is inherent to high powered LED's, mainly because the sound is louder when the light is stepping down the output and is not present when it is on high.

So, any opinions or help out there? Any Taz 1200 or 1500 owners care to chime in on this? Do your lights make a headache-inducing high pitched sound?

mtbr member
    This actually has nothing to do with the LED's themselves but has to do with the circuitry used to drive the emitters. In this case the current to the LED is controlled using a PWM circuit. It varies the frequency ( duty cycle ) into the circuit and this controls how bright the LED is for any given mode setting. Most LED lamps use this type of control but it is unusual for the user to be able to hear it. I own a small AA torch that when I hold it in my hand I hear no sound but if I hold it in my mouth I can hear a whining high pitch noise if I vary the level of light.

If you could hear this while riding the bike I'd have to say I'm surprised but yes if it was that loud I would return the item too. For the most part you should not be able to hear it unless you are using the low setting and holding it to your ear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My Taz 1500 is pretty much silent, so I'm guessing you got a defective unit. I've had several LED lights that had the high pitched whine noise- very annoying! With the exception of one cheap flashlight, swapping it for a new one eliminated the issue.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    My Taz 1500 is pretty much silent, so I'm guessing you got a defective unit. I've had several LED lights that had the high pitched whine noise- very annoying! With the exception of one cheap flashlight, swapping it for a new one eliminated the issue.
    Thanks for the replies.

I actually just received a replacement unit tonight, and it still makes the sound. I am going to try riding with it once to see if I can hear it while riding. Honestly, it is less of an issue with hearing the sound, and more that it actually sounds like my ears are plugged or ringing themselves, which drives me bonkers.

Given how loud it is to me, I anticipate that it would be too unpleasant to keep it. Major bummer because it is such a cool light. I guess I will just spend 60 bucks and get a new battery for my magicshine.