Thread: Hidden Gem???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Hidden Gem???

If i have missed an earlier post on this, my apology's.I see now on Dinotte's website that their 600L has been upgraded to what Dinotte is calling an 800+.This is a true quad XPG lamp head and four cell battery setup with a three hour claimed run time.If Dinotte's battery pack is in the 5ah range this would make me believe their running the XPG's as hard as Lupine's Wilma. In which they should be calling it the 1000+. With Dinotte's known qualiy and a setup like this for only $319 i thought it would be worth a mention on this forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Unfortunately "upgraded" is not the right word to use, eg. your 600L will NOT be upgraded to the 800L, not even by Dinotte (the 800L is a completely different lighthead). So what happened was that Dinotte simply canceled the production of the 600L.

On the other hand I think they do offer the best value/light output for the money in the US (if we do not consider the Magicshine and all the clones).

They are not running the XPGs to the max exactly because they do not offer a battery larger than 4 cells, so the comparison with the Wilma does not stand... in the 1200L they use 8 XPGs to get an output comparable to the 4-XPG Wilma. This way they can manage to still get an acceptable runtime (2 hours for the 1200L?) from the same battery. Why they don't offer larger battery packs is something I do not understand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Obviously their not running the 1200+ xpg's at full, but i think they may be running the 800+ right up there,if Dinotte's claiming only three hour run time with the four cell.That is the same as the Wilma!! which is using the four cell as well with three hour run times.They may not want to desclose that as it may impact sales on their $419 1200+? Maybe a good test for Francois.

I couldn't agree more on the battery issue.When Dinotte came out with their 1200+ and still only offered their largest battery pack of just four cells,i remember commenting on what a waist of eight XPG's, as a six or eight cell battery would have allowed them to have a true 2200 lumen product that they may have only had to retail for an extra $100 or so.

It would be nice once there are a few owners of Dinotte's quad XPG to give us some feedback on this well priced unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    If i have missed an earlier post on this, my apology's.I see now on Dinotte's website that their 600L has been upgraded to what Dinotte is calling an 800+.This is a true quad XPG lamp head and four cell battery setup with a three hour claimed run time.If Dinotte's battery pack is in the 5ah range this would make me believe their running the XPG's as hard as Lupine's Wilma. In which they should be calling it the 1000+. With Dinotte's known qualiy and a setup like this for only $319 i thought it would be worth a mention on this forum.
    Interesting, I think you're right. This did kind of fly under everyone's radar. I wasn't aware Dinotte upgraded the 800L but in the picture there is a mention of using XP-G's. Unfortunately once again I believe Dinotte is under-driving the emitters to accommodate run time with the current offering of batteries. I believe that is why they are calling the new 800L , "800L+". Real output is probably something like 900 lumens but if the emitters were fully driven, this light would be another 1300 lumen lamp.

I never did understand why Dinotte discontinued the 600L ( 3-led ) since it came with a better bar mount, was quick-releasable not to mention had an easy tilt and swivel feature. With three fully driven XP-G's it would of become a 1000L. I would of bought one without hesitation if it had been offered. I still consider the 600L to be one of best all-around light systems to be sold. It would of been real nice to have seen an up-grade with something like 2-xpe R-2's and one XPG R-5 . That combo would still have the needed throw for mountain biking and yet have a brighter total output. ( somewhere around 850-900 lumens perhaps ) ( or just let the customer order the led combo desired ...wouldn't that be a novel approach ) ....I have but one critique of Dinotte and that is either they lack the will to compete or they have a true lack of vision for what the consumer wants.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To say Dinotte were a little defencive when i was in contact with them many months ago would be an understatement when inquiring about why they had not started using the latest LED's.And what do you know,, here they are now using them. It's to bad that they come accross as a company that are only slowly improving their product because of comsumer expectation,and that most of their competition already has, as apposed to taking the lead and been the front runner i think they could easily be.Their close!!!, just make a larger capasity battery,start driving those XPG's to their potential,especially on the 1200+, and a front runner you would have.

Would still love to see what lux measurements Francois wouls get on the 800+.