mtbr member

help understanding newer lights

Ok, I had posted on here a little while back looking for a battery for my Nitepro HID light. Someone stated that they thought it was not worth the money to buy a new pack because it was not that bright.

Well, I think it is very bright and wished I had another. I do have a few sets of older Nitepro lights that I have been using on the bar.

Here is my problem. I would like to get a new / brighter light for my bars. I don't have a lot of money to buy the good stuff, but with the thought that the newer LED's are brighter then my HID, I was wondering how little of a light would still be an upgrade.

I didn't know how something like a newt 150 would compare to my old lights. I am not sure I need to get a 500 led for it to be a big improvement then what I already have. I know I could get a ms, but I would like to stick with something that will last a little longer.

Thanks

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    Ok, I had posted on here a little while back looking for a battery for my Nitepro HID light. Someone stated that they thought it was not worth the money to buy a new pack because it was not that bright.

Well, I think it is very bright and wished I had another. I do have a few sets of older Nitepro lights that I have been using on the bar.

Here is my problem. I would like to get a new / brighter light for my bars. I don't have a lot of money to buy the good stuff, but with the thought that the newer LED's are brighter then my HID, I was wondering how little of a light would still be an upgrade.

I didn't know how something like a newt 150 would compare to my old lights. I am not sure I need to get a 500 led for it to be a big improvement then what I already have. I know I could get a ms, but I would like to stick with something that will last a little longer.

Thanks
    Your Marwi Night Pro HID light is a 10watt hid light. That's about 500 lumen light.

So I think you need to get a 600+ lumen LED light to see an improvement in light output.

Other things you'll get are:

- much lighter
    - longer run times
    - better light color
    - instant on/off
    - different light levels.

I would recommend the Jet Lites A-51 which is a 700 lumen light at $199.

fc

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the battery packs are good and you can solder a little, one of the guys in the diy light forum has p7 conversion parts for some marwi's. Check this out: Marwi Light Mod.

If you can't solder, you may know someone. Else, some schools have electronics shops. A shop shouldn't charge much for soldering a few wires together as a last resort.

Just a thought.... Warning: diy lights can be as addictive as single track.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I guess I didn't make my question fully clear. I am ok with the brightness of my HID. I also have some older Halogen Nitepro's and wonder what lumen would be close to those.

It is good to know the where my HID stacks up in the LED world.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok, so I guess I didn't make my question fully clear. I am ok with the brightness of my HID. I also have some older Halogen Nitepro's and wonder what lumen would be close to those.

It is good to know the where my HID stacks up in the LED world.
    Yep...............

Still not but that is life on the interwebs.

Get what you want.
    HID will be around 500 lumens.
    Halogen, take the watts and multiply by 20 to get lumens. So a 10 watt halogen will be about 200 lumens.
    Then there is color rendition and beam patterns to consider.
    But you haven't made that clear either. In other words "lumens" are only about 1/3 of the equation.
    If you want to get a new light then the Jet A-51 would make for a good choice for the price point.

mtbr member

Here is my problem. I would like to get a new / brighter light for my bars. I don't have a lot of money to buy the good stuff, but with the thought that the newer LED's are brighter then my HID, I was wondering how little of a light would still be an upgrade.....

I
    I'd be quick to recommend the MagicShine if not for the current battery problem. A couple new MS competitors have cropped up. The Gemini Titan is a P-7 led lamp that is starting to draw some attention ( see link ). Not a lot of reviews out on it yet but it is suppose to be using an upgraded battery ( per the seller ). Another option for a inexpensive bar light is the Light and Go P-7 light called the Owlet ( see link ). No info on the battery quality of the L&G product. If I needed a new bar light and had little money I would consider one of these two systems. The Gemini has a N.American distributor which means you can get it quicker. L&G...ships out of China as far as I know. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong please ).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    [QUOTE=L&G...ships out of China as far as I know. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong please ).[/QUOTE]

L&G does ship from China, but shipping is amazingly fast. You do pay $25 for shipping as they use FedEx or UPS International shipping. I ordered the L&G Foride and received it in 5 days, so to me it was worth the $25.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Brooks04,

You had a chance to try out the Foride? I might be getting one as a gift. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    Brooks04,

You had a chance to try out the Foride? I might be getting one as a gift. Thanks.

I have only used the Foride for one ride as the weather has been poor. The light has a very bright flood beam and makes a good bar light and even better when running a separate helmet light. I currently run an amoeba light on my helmet and the 2 lights worked well together. A little more throw on a helmet light would be even better. The Foride definitely drowns out my Magicshine light, so if it holds up well overtime it will be a great value.

At first I did not like the mount as I had the light mounted on top of my bars and it stood rather high on the bar. I have now mounted the light under my bar, so it is out of the way and less chance of catching on something and breaking the mount. The way the mount pivots at the light head mount, and the clamp at the bar turns, if gives you a lot of options as to where to position the light head on your bar. Overall very satisfied with the light. Maybe someday I will attempt beam shots.

I only ride at night on fireroads, greenway trails, and few roads on my cyclocross bike. I imagine the light would be great on a singletrack trail. Most of my riding buddies are roadies and I can never get anyone to ride mountain bikes in the woods at night and I am not about to ride in the woods alone at night as it kind of freaks me out.

Now if the weather would only cooperate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help understanding newer lights-foride.jpg  

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Brooks04, I totally appreciate your write up and photo. I'm glad to hear it's a real floody light as my local trails are real tight and twisty. I'm currently running a Photon Max on the helmet and a Magicshine on the bars as am looking for more flood on the bars as the Phton Max has great throw. I once ran two Magicshines on the bars and that was nice but no good for the battery pack using the spitter. So, we'll see if I actually end up with a Foride for Happy Druid Winter Solstice Day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I really like the way that mount looks. I also ride a Cross bike and have an issue with above bar mount with older 105 group set. Above the bars I get the shadow from both shifter cables - more of an annoyance than a problem. Your setup looks clean.