mtbr member
    May 2008

Help picking out a deal extreme torches

I'm looking to pick up a torch or two from DealExtreme. I'm looking for something that takes one TR18650 battery and something that has long throw. I was using a Trust Fire TR-801 on my helmet paired with a Magic Shine 900 on my bars but the TR-801 died.
    Should I go with another TR-801 or is there something newer / better that suites my needs?

Also, any recommendations for a helmet mount?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just did a bit more research and I think I might go with the same light:
    TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Plus the cree XML T6 - Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay

For $50 shipped for both seems like it's tough to go wrong.

mtbr member
    When I want to go ultra lite on my helmet I use a standard 501B torch coupled with a three mode XM-L T6 drop-in. ( H-M-L ) ( no flash ).

This setup is light and has a very nice beam pattern for the helmet. High is very bright, medium is good enough for easy terrain, low for repairs or a slow climb.

The torch you linked to using the Q type emitters are "old school". The XM-L emitters are brighter and more efficient. You can buy both the torch host and three mode drop in from Manafont ( separate items ). Manafont is the only place I've seen that sells the three mode drop-in's. Of course if you just want a single mode you can buy those too. If you need links let me know.

When you see the output of the XM-L compared to a Q-emitter your jaw will drop.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    When I want to go ultra lite on my helmet I use a standard 501B torch coupled with a three mode XM-L T6 drop-in. ( H-M-L ) ( no flash ).

This setup is light and has a very nice beam pattern for the helmet. High is very bright, medium is good enough for easy terrain, low for repairs or a slow climb.

The torch you linked to using the Q type emitters are "old school". The XM-L emitters are brighter and more efficient. You can buy both the torch host and three mode drop in from Manafont ( separate items ). Manafont is the only place I've seen that sells the three mode drop-in's. Of course if you just want a single mode you can buy those too. If you need links let me know.

When you see the output of the XM-L compared to a Q-emitter your jaw will drop.
    Very cool, you mind sending the links? I only found this one - Manafont.com | $13.1 UltraFire WF-501B T6 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Black which has strobe and SOS. Not a big deal, but I would rather have 1-3 modes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why not stick with the TR-801, but with more current led?- CREE XM-L T6 Led 800 Lm Rechargeable Flashlight 18650 Torch TR-801 Camping Lamp | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Very cool, you mind sending the links? I only found this one - Manafont.com | $13.1 UltraFire WF-501B T6 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Black which has strobe and SOS. Not a big deal, but I would rather have 1-3 modes.
    The 3-mode drop-in

This is the page that gives you a choice of 501B host ( no emitter )...black, Camo...etc.
    I also recommend you buy an extra button switch ( same page ). Never hurts to have an extra switch in case the original goes up. ( switches can wear out ).

Keep in mind a torch like this is not designed to be run on high for extended periods. That is because they can get very hot ( and excess heat can damage the emitter ). I usually only run high when at speed or when going downhill. On the up-side changing modes is super easy and turning off is "instant" with just a click. I've used mine a couple years now with the 3-mode drop-in and have not had a problem. As long as you make sure the reflector is tightly ( hand tightened ) to the emitter pill and you don't over-heat the emitter you should be fine. Medium and low are also very useful and on medium will run 3 hrs and barely get warm. ( don't be surprised if the medium mode is brighter than your old Q-type emitter )

Some people will wrap copper or aluminum tape ( foil ) around the module to give it a tighter fit to the host ( commonly called "potting" ). This helps in transferring heat to the outside of the torch. Copper tape probably works best but I just use strips of aluminum foil cut off of cheap aluminum gas burner liners ( bought at any walmart ).

I own a couple of the 501B torches. At ~$6 ea they're easy to afford, easy to replace if they wear out or get lost. The funny thing is that a year ago I used to run an XP-G drop-in on the helmet which also worked pretty good. Then one day I accidentally grabbed the wrong torch ( the one with the XM-L drop-in ). When I turned it on I was like, "WTF"!...damn thing is bright, even on medium!
    ...After that I stayed with the XM-L as not only was it brighter but it had a slightly wider beam pattern than the XP-G.

Also keep in mind that sometimes the output will vary with what battery you are using.
    Mine pulls 2.6A with a fresh Panasonic 3100mah 18650 battery. A red Ultrafire 2600mAh pulls about 2.45A. Now as long as Manafont didn't change the driver on the drop-in you should be good to go.