mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Help... Need lights..Not sure what to get?

I have been looking around and reading on here for the last few days. I need some lights for single track trails. I don't want to spend to much ( under $150 ? ) I will want one for the bar and one for helmet. I have read so much on the cheap knock off's..... Not sure if I want to go that way or not. If so what to get. People point to the solarstorm? Would 2 of them work? I was also looking at the xeccon spiker 1210?

Please help, need soon getting darker earlier everyday.

THANKS

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Steve,, $150 is a small budget for two lights but can be done. Personally I like to stick to brands that are reputable or have good reviews on lesser known brands. It's a crap shoot as many will tell you when buying (clones) so beware.

Cat-man-do had a good review on the Xeccon Spiker1211. Comes with a good battery,, 850 lumens (claimed) but should be close to that with the XM-L and if I'm remembering correctly was only $85,,, so two will put you just over your budget but give you a pretty good starter set up. A multi emitter lamp would be better for the bar of coarse, but getting a brand name will blow your budget unless you go for a clone. Cat said there was a nice beam out of the 1211 more like an optic type beam without the hotspot. Check out Cat-man-do's review on Xeccon it will give you good info.Cheers!!

User Review: Xeccon Spiker 1211; Racer's delight(?)- Mtbr
    Last edited by indebt; 09-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: Help... Need lights..Not sure what to get?

Thanks for the info..... Have been looking around some more... Think I might go with the spiker 1207 and the 1206. Total would be $200. looks like this would be a great setup?

Guess my biggest questions are... Is the Xeccon a good known brand? Are the batteries they come with any good? Am I going to be wishing I would have gotten something else? Are they going to give me problems right out of the box like the cheap knock offs?

2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Honestly I'm only familiar with the brand from reviews on this forum and it's website. Not sure what BAK battery is but do know for example you can get an upgrade to Samsung battery's for as little as $19more from actionledlights.com.

If you want something proven to be good you will have to up your budget a bit. Xera/Duo lamp heads/two battery's/charger/extension cord all for approx. $300 from actionledlights. Then you will have something proven to be good a set up. I have purchased this set up for my wife and it is impressive for such small lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I see action has lots on sale right now. 2 Xera complete systems,, with 2 cell Samsung battery's for $270. Even though I'd like to see you using the Duo for the bars you will be getting quality on both systems. You can still get the duo in that price range but would have to use MS battery's.

If you have any questions talk to Jim and let him know your max budget and he will help you out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Thanks again for all the info.

Looking at the Xeccon on amazon, it says they come with a Samsung battery?

The main thing for me is, I don't want to spend say $80 on a cheap clone.... Solar Storm 2x...... Waist time and money to get them to work right....same with the Xeccon... But they would be $200. Sounds like I need to do some more research.

2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If the seller confirms Samsung battery's that may be a good way to go. Make sure your getting enough run times from what ever you buy to last the length of your night rides.

Personally,, you may pay a touch more if at all going through a reputable vender like action or Xeccon,, me i'll always be willing to pay a touch more for good service!!
    Last edited by indebt; 09-30-2014 at 03:35 PM.

I like turtles
    2 Magicshine 808s..$160 from action-led. Great starter set up, plenty bright for trail riding.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post

If you want something proven to be good you will have to up your budget a bit. Xera/Duo lamp heads/two battery's/charger/extension cord all for approx. $300 from actionledlights. Then you will have something proven to be good a set up. I have purchased this set up for my wife and it is impressive for such small lights.
    I would highly suggest this. It may be hard to swallow the 300$ price tag but well worth it. Quality lights with awesome customer service!

I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    I would highly suggest this. It may be hard to swallow the 300$ price tag but well worth it. Quality lights with awesome customer service!
    It's what I am using now and it is a nice setup...but you can get a nice setup (the 808s I recommended above) for under $200 from Jim at action.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Gemini Duo Lighthead $115.15
    Gemini Xera Lighthead $69.95
    Magicshine 4400mah $29.95
    Magicshine 2200mah $22.95
    Magicshine Charger $7.95

$245.95 through Action