mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Help me pick lights for new Commuter

I'm changing jobs and it looks like bike commuting will be in play (yeah!). I need some lights and here's the line-up I'm considering:

1. Lupine Piko 3 for helmet mount. This will be the main light. $310
    2. NR MiNewt 150 Cordless for handlebar mount. Will use in flash mode and as back-up. Charge via USB in office as needed. $99
    3. DiNotte 300R taillight. Charge via USB. $199

I'm not very happy about buying across three different companies as I'd like to have interchangeable batteries and charges. However, this problem is eliminated by selecting models with built in batteries and USB charging. If you were starting over, what would you buy and why? Budget is not really a problem as I want to get it right the first time. TIA, dave

www.hahntronix.com
    I'd buy one of mine (I may be a bit biased ).

I designed my lights to be a complete lighting system, that can run a headlight and tail light off a single battery (with a single charger). I sell most of my high powered headlights to mountain bikers, but I've done commuting (14 years in the winter rains of Portland, OR).

I work with folks to get them the complete lighting system they want at a decent price. I'm more than happy to work with people who want to wire up their own battery and cables.

I'm less expensive than the big guys and I don't sell cheap Chinese crap, check out: http://www.hahntronix.com

Oh, I have an ad for folks who need monster lights: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=57778&cat=27, but I sell lower powered lights for less.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

Church of the Wheel
    The choices you've outlined are good choices that should work well for commuting. That term, "commuting", can mean a lot of different things, ranging from roads with street lights where your lights are primarily just so other people can see you, to riding through pitch black woods where it's impossible to ride without decent lights. My commute is in the latter category, and so I tend to favor lighting systems that are as bright as possible. Until now this has been two MagicShine's on the bars, one on the helmet, and a Superflash blinkie on the rear. My new setup is four MagicShines on the bar, a Lupine Wilma on the helmet, and a Light&Motion 180 rear light.

The Dinotte taillight is as high power as it gets. The Piko is a great helmet light. The only potential weakness in your proposed system is that the Piko will likely outclass your bar light. I would suggest looking at the Light&Motion Seca's for your bar light. There are technically 'brighter' lights out there, but Light&Motion set themselves apart from all other manufacturers with their superlative beam pattern, which is particularly important for commuting so you don't piss off or blind oncoming traffic. I think L&M are the only big manufacturer to make their beam pattern traffic friendly, at the same time as being broad, even, and bright. My setup next year will be the Wilma on the helmet, and whatever L&M's brightest offering is for the handlebar.

Edit: Mistyped L&M Vega initially, instead of Seca.
    Last edited by mtb143; 12-06-2010 at 05:40 AM.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm using...
    - L&M Vis360 on the helmet. It's light, compact, and has head and tail lamp, with integrated battery and USB charging.
    - Dinotte tail light, plus a PlanetBike SuperFlash backup. (so, I have three rear lights)
    - MagicShine bar mount
    - L&M Stella for helmet, if I'm riding off-road at all.