mtbr member

Help me pick a light

There is a ton of different thoughts on here and a lot of options so it makes it hard to figure out what lights would be good to get. I have been looking at several different lights and here is a list that I have trimmed it down to with out going to the real expensive lights that I would love to have.

These I can get for close enough the same price.
    Triden Xtra (600)
    A-51 (?)
    Stella 300

Cheaper options would be
    MiNewt 350
    Owlet (?)

On paper the Triden would be the brightest option, but it is also the most expensive on the list.

I think if I would go with the Stella 300, it would be better to save money and get one of the cheaper options, but ratings and actual numbers are not always the same as are lumens alone are not the full story.

I am also interested in a light that will last a long time. I want to do some endurance events and will need lights for several hours.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bias here,,,as i would hands down go for the Triden X.I owned this light and road hundreds of miles in the crappiest weather conditions last winter and this light worked flawlesly. Did you consider the Mity Cross 400?? It basically is the Triden X minus one led.This would also save you some $$ and have a very good product.

mtbr member
    yes I did look at the 400, but it seems that quality is currently out of them.

I did look at the shootout and it was stated that the A-51 is 700 lumens.

mtbr member
    You can get the Jet Lites A51 for $199. Well worth it and plenty of light to ride by.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    yes I did look at the 400, but it seems that quality is currently out of them.

I did look at the shootout and it was stated that the A-51 is 700 lumens.
    Quality??? For only aprox $20 more than the MC-400, the A-51 would be your best choice under $200 for sure.Just curious,,since i haven't had the MC in my hands, what quality issues are you referring to as the Triden X was awesome?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Quality??? For only aprox $20 more than the MC-400, the A-51 would be your best choice under $200 for sure.Just curious,,since i haven't had the MC in my hands, what quality issues are you referring to as the Triden X was awesome?
    quality bike parts QBP

I meant they were out of stock on that model. I can get the mc-400 much less then the $20 difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009