mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Help me find a head light for my new commute?

Hey all!

Gonna start commuting by bike.

Will be taking the bus in the morning
    And ride 7 miles home at night, 7:30pm
    Will be riding thru a univ campus, all pavement, side walk/road
    would like the USB rechargeable- seems cool, but I do have access to cheap AA batteries.
    Would like it to be easily removable for security reasons.

Is there something everyone agrees is a great buy these days that fits the above?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Budget?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Flexible, but likely under 150$.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The best commuter light is the 80 Lux Philips battery light

Help me find a head light for my new commute?-philips-saferide1.jpg

Philips SafeRide LED Bike Light ? 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

Now there is a improved Gen 2 version of the light available, read more here: #69

But make sure that You get the Gen 1 holder, read more here: #29

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Last edited by HakanC; 10-09-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added text abot Gen 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    AA, nice.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Light & Motion Urban 700 LIGHT & MOTION || URBAN 700 You can find them online for less than $140. I was surprised at how bright this light is for the price. It has some neat features for commuting and is USB rechargeable with a quick release system and helmet mount.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    get Light & Motion TAZ. best commuter light.

if you want something cheaper get a NiteRider Lumina.

i'm selling my SafeRide though if you want to buy it.

make sure to get a good tail light as well. at least a cygolite hotshot 2 watt. preferably a Dinotte.

TAZ 1200 on the front and Dinotte 300R on the back is a proper commuting setup.

remember, the tail light is the most important light for commuting. it should be the last place to save money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    get Light & Motion TAZ. best commuter light.

if you want something cheaper get a NiteRider Lumina.

i'm selling my SafeRide though if you want to buy it.

make sure to get a good tail light as well. at least a cygolite hotshot 2 watt. preferably a Dinotte.

TAZ 1200 on the front and Dinotte 300R on the back is a proper commuting setup.

remember, the tail light is the most important light for commuting. it should be the last place to save money.
    OP is going to have a hard time finding a TAZ 1200 for under $150. The Urban 700 will be plenty of light and fit within the buyer's budget.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Gloworm X1 V1 from action-led-lights.com for $105, shipped USPS Priority, with MTBR-GLO coupon. I'd be surprised if one couldn't add on a Magicshine battery pack from the same store, and still keep the price around or under $150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    +1 on the L&M Urban 700. Buddy from work just picked one up, it's very tiny and looks like L&M has put thought into beam shaping.

Only other light that comes to mind if $$$ is an issue is the new Cygolite Expilion 800. Very similar to the L&M, it may not have the quite the beam quality (speculative) it but is about $40 less.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by indebt; 10-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Front light... Light and motion urban 700 or cygolite expilion 800
    Rear light... Cygolite hotshot 2w or serfas shield TL-60

mtbr member
    While I like the look of the L&M Urban 700 I don't see any mention that the battery can be swapped out on the fly. For any self contained lighting system I expect to be able to swap the battery without too much trouble. I would go with the Cygolite Expillion series. Good deals on the 600-700-800 series on Amazon....and yes those you can switch out the battery.

@OP, look I know you want to use AA cells but believe me, there's a reason these self-contained bike lights use 18650 Li-ion's. They will give you more light in a smaller package and are easy to recharge via USB or a home cell charger. Just get one of the Cygolite Expillions, and extra 18650 cell from almost anywhere and you're set. Good idea to pickup a good rear red blinkie if you don't have one while your at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    While I like the look of the L&M Urban 700 I don't see any mention that the battery can be swapped out on the fly.
    why would you need to do that on a commuting light ? as a matter of fact why would you want to swap batteries on any "self contained" light ? if the light doesn't have enough run time for you - then don't buy self-contained. it's not really self-contained if you have to replace batteries to make it last the ride.

don't know about the Urban but in NiteRider Lumina the battery can be replaced if it fails. however it is certainly not field replaceable. also i don't know where you would buy a replacement one as it comes with a little plug and isn't a standard 18650.

niterider has a video tutorial on youtube on how to do this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Flexible, but likely under 150$.
    With 150$ I would definitely look into a battery pack and light head set-up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    While I like the look of the L&M Urban 700 I don't see any mention that the battery can be swapped out on the fly. For any self contained lighting system I expect to be able to swap the battery without too much trouble. I would go with the Cygolite Expillion series. Good deals on the 600-700-800 series on Amazon....and yes those you can switch out the battery.

@OP, look I know you want to use AA cells but believe me, there's a reason these self-contained bike lights use 18650 Li-ion's. They will give you more light in a smaller package and are easy to recharge via USB or a home cell charger. Just get one of the Cygolite Expillions, and extra 18650 cell from almost anywhere and you're set. Good idea to pickup a good rear red blinkie if you don't have one while your at it.
    The 18650 batteries in these lights aren't "loose / off the shelf batteries that you buy just about anywhere". They are in special enclosures and the whole thing will need to be replaced so you need to get the module from the light maker. The cygolite spare battery module is $40. No special tools are needed to replace the module.

There is no spare battery module available for the L&M urban series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    The 18650 batteries in these lights aren't "loose / off the shelf batteries that you buy just about anywhere". They are in special enclosures and the whole thing will need to be replaced so you need to get the module from the light maker. The cygolite spare battery module is $40. No special tools are needed to replace the module.

There is no spare battery module available for the L&M urban series.
    in a NiteFlux it is glued in place