Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Help with Magicshine (Geomangear) light

Hi everybody… I bought this Magicshine from Geomangear (after his recall and with his new battery). I can't recall the model. Can somebody help me determine which model it is? Also, I have a problem with the unit. I did charge the battery the whole day and it seems that it does not have anything on it. The flashlight would not light up. Any ideas on how this thing can be fixed and who can service it? Thanks a lot for your help in advance. Help with Magicshine (Geomangear) light-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lottel View Post
    can somebody help me determine which model it is?
    mj-808.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    From your description, it's not clear whether the problem is with battery, the charger, or the light itself. What about indication lights?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I left the battery on the charger the whole day. The charger light was green. I plugged it to the light and it was dead. I then re-recharged it. The light on the charger was red initially and then after a few minutes, it turned green. Battery continues to be dead after it was recharged for half a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lottel View Post
    Hi everybody… I bought this Magicshine from Geomangear (after his recall and with his new battery). I can't recall the model. Can somebody help me determine which model it is? Also, I have a problem with the unit. I did charge the battery the whole day and it seems that it does not have anything on it. The flashlight would not light up. Any ideas on how this thing can be fixed and who can service it? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
    It's a MJ-808. It's fitted with the P7 emitter. Is there a light on the charger when you charge it? If so, is it red when charging or stays green regardless? If it's green while connected to the wall socket and battery and still doesn't power the light there could be any of these reasons -
    1. copper wire torn off at +/- solder point in the light or battery end.
    2. wire torn internally near the connectors of the battery or light head
    3. battery has been overdischarged and locked out. When was the last time you used the light and was the battery charged before it was stored away last?
    4. charger is faulty. Is there a burnt smell from the charger?
    5. driver board is faulty/damaged. The P7 emitter still looks good

Best idea is to get another set from a friend or a friend of a friend to do a crosscheck. Crosscheck batteries with lights, chargers with batteries etc. You will find where the fault lies eventually. If it's the light head at fault, probably a good idea to just get a relatively good but cheap replacement. It's not worth servicing. An hours labor and parts cost more than a brand new light head 2-3 times brighter. There are heaps to choose from if the charger and Geo battery is still good if not over-discharged.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Seems to be that the battery completely lost its capacity, or is heavily out of balance. What about indication LED on the back of light head? Was it illuminated upon battery connection, and if yes, what color?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    It's a MJ-808.
    Offtopic: how you've managed to write it properly? I've tried several times, but forum autocorrected the letters from capitals, regardless from "Automatically..." checkboxes state under Options...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When battery is connected to the light, there is no light indicator on the light itself. When battery is plugged initially on the charger, the charger is initially red and then turns to green in ~ 1 min. I used this light a few weeks ago and that it was not charged completely before it was stored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Offtopic: how you've managed to write it properly? I've tried several times, but forum autocorrected the letters from capitals, regardless from "Automatically..." checkboxes state under Options...
    Didn't do anything special Archie. Don't know why you have that problem. Some are larger than others I guess.

Took me a while to do the last post with daughter needing me so didn't know the Light Doctor is in the house. Over to you. Does sound like the battery though.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Didn't do anything special Archie. Don't know why you have that problem. Some are larger than others I guess.
    Maybe it depends from position of abbreviated word (at the beginning of line or within it). Just curious, and try both variants:
    ===
    It's MJ-808.
    MJ-808 it is.
    ===

Took me a while to do the last post with daughter needing me so didn't know the Light Doctor is in the house. Over to you.

But you've already identified all the possible sources of problem, so I have nothing to add.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Is it worth tinkering on this or just buy another one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd follow mtbRevolution's advise:
    It's not worth servicing. An hours labor and parts cost more than a brand new light head 2-3 times brighter. There are heaps to choose from if the charger and Geo battery is still good if not over-discharged.
    Unless you have some friend who can check/repair it for free...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I loved this light for what it is. Any good recommendation that comes close price wise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Or, is there a battery that can be used to replace it if light is still fine?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I loved this light for what it is. Any good recommendation that comes close price wise?
    An updated version, perhaps?
    MagicShine MJ-808E HA-III CREE XM-LT60 3-Mode 1000-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4x18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Or, is there a battery that can be used to replace it if light is still fine?
    Plenty of them. But make sure it's really battery problem first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    If you know someone with a 8.4V battery with similar 5.5 x 2.1 DC connectors like yours it will save you a lot of time working out if the battery is at fault. It seems to me its a battery problem and the light is still good.

Where are you?
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any suggestions?
    IMHO, the best MagicShine battery is a MJ-828:
    Buy MagicShine 0.8" LCD 8.4V 2200mAh 18650 Lithium Battery Cell Pack for Bicycle Light

Bullet-proof aluminium case, reliable mounting by wide welcro, and true 4400 capacity.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the charger to me...they are pretty chincy. I had one my chargers (same GeoManGear 808 set up as you) go bad a few weeks ago....same problem. The indicator on the charger would just turn green even when the battery was dead. I got a new charger for $~10 or so from Action-Led-Lights..problem solved.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you know someone with a 8.4V battery with similar 5.5 x 2.1 DC connectors like yours it will save you a lot of time working out if the battery is at fault. It seems to me its a battery problem and the light is still good.

Where are you?
    Valencia, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Sounds like the charger to me...they are pretty chincy. I had one my chargers (same GeoManGear 808 set up as you) go bad a few weeks ago....same problem. The indicator on the charger would just turn green even when the battery was dead. I got a new charger for $~10 or so from Action-Led-Lights..problem solved.
    Is this what you got?

Action-LED-Lights ? 1.8A Gemini Charger

mtbr member
    What's your budget? Gemini and Magicshine chargers are cross compatible. I use a gemini charger with my magicshine 6030h batteries.

This would be my choice for a replacement.
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-872 1600* Lumen Light Set

Or
    Action-LED-Lights ? Magicshine MJ-808-L2, 4 Mode 1200 lumen* Bike Light

mtbr member
    Valencia, CA
    Since it may be the battery or charger and we don't want to be ordering batteries from China, I suggest you contact Chris of Magicshine and FEREI LED bike lights at BIKEEMPOWERMENT.COM USA. I understand he's in San Diego. Arrange to bring the family to SeaWorld and you kill 2 birds with one stone or if you're lucky he may have someone you can see LA for a crosscheck.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nope, this one:

Action-LED-Lights — Magicshine 1.8A Charger - MJ-6012

Just email Jim at Action and tell him what you have and he will send you the right one.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast