Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with Magicshine (Geomangear) light

4K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  xcandrew 
#1 ·
Hi everybody… I bought this Magicshine from Geomangear (after his recall and with his new battery). I can't recall the model. Can somebody help me determine which model it is? Also, I have a problem with the unit. I did charge the battery the whole day and it seems that it does not have anything on it. The flashlight would not light up. Any ideas on how this thing can be fixed and who can service it? Thanks a lot for your help in advance. Electronic device Technology Communication Device Electronics Telephony

See less See more
#4 ·
I left the battery on the charger the whole day. The charger light was green. I plugged it to the light and it was dead. I then re-recharged it. The light on the charger was red initially and then after a few minutes, it turned green. Battery continues to be dead after it was recharged for half a day.

#5 ·
Hi everybody… I bought this Magicshine from Geomangear (after his recall and with his new battery). I can't recall the model. Can somebody help me determine which model it is? Also, I have a problem with the unit. I did charge the battery the whole day and it seems that it does not have anything on it. The flashlight would not light up. Any ideas on how this thing can be fixed and who can service it? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
It's a MJ-808. It's fitted with the P7 emitter. Is there a light on the charger when you charge it? If so, is it red when charging or stays green regardless? If it's green while connected to the wall socket and battery and still doesn't power the light there could be any of these reasons -
  1. copper wire torn off at +/- solder point in the light or battery end.
  2. wire torn internally near the connectors of the battery or light head
  3. battery has been overdischarged and locked out. When was the last time you used the light and was the battery charged before it was stored away last?
  4. charger is faulty. Is there a burnt smell from the charger?
  5. driver board is faulty/damaged. The P7 emitter still looks good

Best idea is to get another set from a friend or a friend of a friend to do a crosscheck. Crosscheck batteries with lights, chargers with batteries etc. You will find where the fault lies eventually. If it's the light head at fault, probably a good idea to just get a relatively good but cheap replacement. It's not worth servicing. An hours labor and parts cost more than a brand new light head 2-3 times brighter. There are heaps to choose from if the charger and Geo battery is still good if not over-discharged.

#8 ·
When battery is connected to the light, there is no light indicator on the light itself. When battery is plugged initially on the charger, the charger is initially red and then turns to green in ~ 1 min. I used this light a few weeks ago and that it was not charged completely before it was stored.

#28 ·
With no indicator on the light itself, my first thought is that it is a bad cable on the light head. My MJ-808 from Geomangear in 2009 kept going bad at the cables - in the original battery (but Geoman worked hard to make sure the Geomangear replacement battery was safe - mine is still good even now), the extension, and the cable coming out the lighthead itself. It could be the battery or charger, but I'd think about the light head first. Check the cable carefully for cracks in the sheath, especially at the connector or any kinks. Do you have a multimeter? If so you could check the voltage on the battery and charger.

#20 ·
Sounds like the charger to me...they are pretty chincy. I had one my chargers (same GeoManGear 808 set up as you) go bad a few weeks ago....same problem. The indicator on the charger would just turn green even when the battery was dead. I got a new charger for $~10 or so from Action-Led-Lights..problem solved.

#32 ·
Hi Lottel, apologies if we seem to be further rather than nearer to a resolution. Let's start over again. This is what we do for non-customers who contact us with problems we can't determine or be sure of; We get them to send the whole set to us. They include an identical self-addressed return satchel inside. We check it over, and if we find the fault to be battery or charger etc, we will inform them. They purchase the replacement item and we send it back to them with the original items including the faulty item.

Suggest you contact Jim from Action LED instead. Tell him the issue and ask him if you can arrange this with him. Action's website sells light head, charger or battery only so just purchase the one he says is faulty. He pops it in the self-addressed satchel and all resolved within a week if you use USPS Priority.

#30 ·
I know that, since I have one, as I mentioned. I wasn't precise in that sentence. I meant that since the indicator light wasn't lighting up, as the original poster was saying in the portion that I quoted, he should check out the cable carefully.

#34 ·
You can buy standard 5.5/2.1mm plug in local electronic store, but it won't maintain watertightness and fixture of original one. Better way is, to order MagicShine extension cable and solder it in place of damaged one. This will require light disassembling and some soldering skill, though...

#37 ·
Action LED does repairs for reasonable prices. They do warranty repairs, but also out-of-warranty repairs. Jim quoted me $10 plus return postage for a cable replacement for my out-of-warranty Gemini Xera. That's barely more than the cost of an extension cable. He's certainly not making bank with repair work and that's appreciated on this end - great service. Maybe because he's a authorized service center for Gemini, and he's invested in supporting Gemini.

I'm not sure he will have the same price for an Magicshine repair, but it's worth asking for a quote. On product support part of his website, he says that for Magicshines, he only warranties the Magicshines that he sells, but can repair out-of-warranty lights for a fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.