Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Some info in this thread. Staying tuned, as I have a similar problem with one of my cheap single led clones. I suspect it's the battery on mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone in southern cal that has this charger?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lottel View Post
    When battery is connected to the light, there is no light indicator on the light itself. When battery is plugged initially on the charger, the charger is initially red and then turns to green in ~ 1 min. I used this light a few weeks ago and that it was not charged completely before it was stored.
    With no indicator on the light itself, my first thought is that it is a bad cable on the light head. My MJ-808 from Geomangear in 2009 kept going bad at the cables - in the original battery (but Geoman worked hard to make sure the Geomangear replacement battery was safe - mine is still good even now), the extension, and the cable coming out the lighthead itself. It could be the battery or charger, but I'd think about the light head first. Check the cable carefully for cracks in the sheath, especially at the connector or any kinks. Do you have a multimeter? If so you could check the voltage on the battery and charger.

mtbr member
    808s have an indicator light on the light head...its the button.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    808s have an indicator light on the light head...its the button.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I know that, since I have one, as I mentioned. I wasn't precise in that sentence. I meant that since the indicator light wasn't lighting up, as the original poster was saying in the portion that I quoted, he should check out the cable carefully.

mtbr member
    I think it will be best to purchase a new light set and if your battery, lighthead, or charger is good just use it as a back up.

mtbr member
    Anyone in southern cal that has this charger?
    Hi Lottel, apologies if we seem to be further rather than nearer to a resolution. Let's start over again. This is what we do for non-customers who contact us with problems we can't determine or be sure of; We get them to send the whole set to us. They include an identical self-addressed return satchel inside. We check it over, and if we find the fault to be battery or charger etc, we will inform them. They purchase the replacement item and we send it back to them with the original items including the faulty item.

Suggest you contact Jim from Action LED instead. Tell him the issue and ask him if you can arrange this with him. Action's website sells light head, charger or battery only so just purchase the one he says is faulty. He pops it in the self-addressed satchel and all resolved within a week if you use USPS Priority.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Hi Lottel, apologies if we seem to be further rather than nearer to a resolution. Let's start over again. This is what we do for non-customers who contact us with problems we can't determine or be sure of; We get them to send the whole set to us. They include an identical self-addressed return satchel inside. We check it over, and if we find the fault to be battery or charger etc, we will inform them. They purchase the replacement item and we send it back to them with the original items including the faulty item.

Suggest you contact Jim from Action LED instead. Tell him the issue and ask him if you can arrange this with him. Action's website sells light head, charger or battery only so just purchase the one he says is faulty. He pops it in the self-addressed satchel and all resolved within a week if you use USPS Priority.
    After much tinkering, I found that the plug that connects of the light to the battery is defective. Is this repairable or best for me to just buy another one? If it is repairble, where can I get it repaired? Thanks a lot for your response in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You can buy standard 5.5/2.1mm plug in local electronic store, but it won't maintain watertightness and fixture of original one. Better way is, to order MagicShine extension cable and solder it in place of damaged one. This will require light disassembling and some soldering skill, though...

mtbr member
    After much tinkering, I found that the plug that connects of the light to the battery is defective. Is this repairable or best for me to just buy another one? If it is repairble, where can I get it repaired? Thanks a lot for your response in advance.
    If you are certain the fault is at the connector on the light side then I concur with Archie for Option 1 below.

Option 1: Get the extension cable here. Action is cheapest plus $2.07 postage. Cut off the male end and have someone solder the red and black wire to the +/- of the driver board inside the MJ-808 light head. I was looking out for a business or handy electronics guy in Valencia/Santa Clarita for you. Small computer shops like this may be the only ones who will do small jobs like this. They have great soldering skills and heaps of time IMO. Give them a call and explain you need faulty cable with DC connector de-soldered and new one re-soldered to a PCB inside a LED light head. Ask for recommendations if they don't.

Attaching a pic to give you an idea what's involved. This is an 808E which is similar to yours internally. The red and black wires on the right of the screen are the ones to be de-soldered and re-soldered. Replacement wire is on the top right.

Option 2: Get the extension cable anyway. Do it the lazy way. Cut off the faulty connector, slide in an old pen cover. Use that as a short 1.5 - 2 inch tube. Attach the red and black wires together then use some electrical tape and insulate them from each other. Slide the re-attached section inside the pen cover and inject silicone at both ends of that tube. Wipe off excess. That should waterproof the connection.

Option 3: If it's all to hard or end up being expensive then get the 808 L2 light head only from Action here. Postage is less than $3. It's brighter than the one you've been using. For less than $60 with a full years warranty, it's certainly worth considering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Magicshine (Geomangear) light-dsc06594.jpg  

Last edited by mtbRevolution; 11-03-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: typo
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Considering you can buy these for $20 these days....and the fact that simple repair is over your head....is it worth putzing with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Action LED does repairs for reasonable prices. They do warranty repairs, but also out-of-warranty repairs. Jim quoted me $10 plus return postage for a cable replacement for my out-of-warranty Gemini Xera. That's barely more than the cost of an extension cable. He's certainly not making bank with repair work and that's appreciated on this end - great service. Maybe because he's a authorized service center for Gemini, and he's invested in supporting Gemini.

I'm not sure he will have the same price for an Magicshine repair, but it's worth asking for a quote. On product support part of his website, he says that for Magicshines, he only warranties the Magicshines that he sells, but can repair out-of-warranty lights for a fee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2