mtbr member
    Sep 2013

which helmets are most stable for mounting lights?

I've been doing some night trail riding. The trails are quite bumpy in places (lots of big roots and rocks). I find that I'm constantly pushing my helmet around to correct the orientation of the light as I hit the big bumps. I'm using an old road biking helmet so I know I need a new helmet. I don't want a full face helmet. I was looking at the Fox Flux or the TLD A1 but don't want to spend a ton. I will also get a better balanced light. Just want to make sure I get a stable platform while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    You need a helmet with a tensioning device. I bought a Kali Chakra and it has a ratcheting tensioner in the rear. You just give it a few turns till it fits your head.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

That is also somewhat dependent on the helmet mount for your light in how tightly you can get the mount as well as how adjustable it is in terms of angles and direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    And, most important of all, you need a properly fitting helmet. Amazing how many people ride with helmets either that don't fit or are not properly fitted.

J.

John, very true....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for all the advice. i just ordered the magicshine MJ-872 with the helmet mount kit. It looks like a pretty hefty light so I'll want a well fitting helmet. I'll go to some shops and find a helmet that fits snugly. The Kali Chakra looks like a great deal so I'll see if that works for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agree with what others have said (proper fitting helmet, tensioning system).
    I'd also add light placement. Ideally you should try to have it centered on your helmet.

My problem is I like to run my light at the front of my helmet so it sits lower and avoids branches. But that does tend to tip the helmet forward on rough terrain.

I have a friend that runs his light positioned at the front, like me. Then he mounts the 4-cell battery on the back of his helmet (at the very back, and low). That seems like it would be a lot of weight on my head. He says he doesn't mind it.
    But the weight of the battery does act as a counter balance and keeps the helmet from tipping forward.

I have thought about getting a 2-cell battery pack and trying it. I think a 2-cell battery pack would give enough counter balance to the light, but without all of the weight of a 4-cell pack.
    Most of my rides are under 2 hours, so a 2-cell battery would work for me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you can afford it, it's really nice to have 2 helmets so you can keep your light mounted to one all the time. I am of the opinion that a helmet should cost about 60 bucks, if it costs more you're getting nailed by diminishing returns. I use a Bell Influx Amazon.com: Bell Influx Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors

It's also nice to have a spare helmet just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    If you can afford it, it's really nice to have 2 helmets so you can keep your light mounted to one all the time. I am of the opinion that a helmet should cost about 60 bucks, if it costs more you're getting nailed by diminishing returns. I use a Bell Influx Amazon.com: Bell Influx Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors

It's also nice to have a spare helmet just in case.
    You wouldn't like my helmet then... I use an SWorks Prevail (about 300 Euros last year when my wife bought me mine).... they've saved my life a couple of times (yes, intensive care visits to prove it) so I'll continue to use them and they hold lights quite well.... lastly, they're also incredibly light so you get the added benefit of not having so much weight on your head when you wear a light (and battery pack when I use a helmet light). The point of that comment was more that you should find the helmet that fits you well and you'll wear... all the time because it's light enough and cool enough. Not based on price.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    You wouldn't like my helmet then... I use an SWorks Prevail (about 300 Euros last year when my wife bought me mine).... they've saved my life a couple of times (yes, intensive care visits to prove it) so I'll continue to use them and they hold lights quite well.... lastly, they're also incredibly light so you get the added benefit of not having so much weight on your head when you wear a light (and battery pack when I use a helmet light). The point of that comment was more that you should find the helmet that fits you well and you'll wear... all the time because it's light enough and cool enough. Not based on price.
    To each his own, I said it was an opinion. From what I understand expensive helmets are not any safer than cheaper helmets that pass the same standards. What you get with more money is a lighter helmet which may or may not have a better fit, which comes at about double the price hence the diminishing returns. There are so many helmets out there I'm sure just about anyone could find a good fit with out spending more than 100 dollars.

I have fallen very hard on 60 dollar helmets in several different manners, and they did well each time. The worst I can think of is going face first bailing a jump and the helmet worked perfectly.