Thread: Helmet Lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Helmet Lights

Does everyone use helmet lights, or are there good lights that attach to the bike frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    most lights attach to the bike/handlebars. However, when riding singletrack, your bike is rarely pointing the direction you need to go next. For this reason, many of us choose to ride with a helmet attachment, as it allows us to see around corners and whatnot.

I prefer to have both.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i use both, but if i could only have one i choose on the helmet

@trailgrinder
    I would get a nice helmet light and that will be the best option for seeing where your head is looking.

Tactical Nightmare
    Hmmmm, I was given a MagicShine MJ-808U for Christmas, and then asked to go for a right early tomorrow morning. At this point, I don't have a headlamp, but will add one soon. My question, like the one above is, will I be ok with just this light on my bars and no headlamp? At least for the first night ride or two? I get the point that someone mentioned about your bike never pointing the way you want to go, but I am wondering if it will work for at least a ride or two.

Any help would be appreciated for sure. Thanks guys!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

29er
    Apr 2010
    it is rideable, but if you can mount the 808 on your head. you'll be golden

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    it is rideable, but if you can mount the 808 on your head. you'll be golden
    Totally, and thanks Dan for the tip. That was my thought too, but I haven't got a helmet mount yet, but do plan too, along with the headlamp. I just was invited to ride tomorrow morning with the guy who gave it to me, and he said I now have "no excuses" to night ride. I just didn't want to get killed on my first ride! Again, thanks Dan.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    You will do just fine with the bar mounted lamp. I prefer the helmet mounted as well but have ridden with just bar lights in the past without issue. Having both is the best option as you can "lead" with your helmet lamp and the bar mount keeps the short field nice and lit.

Making a helmet mount is fairly easy. I made one by cutting a piece of pvc to about 1.5 inches then cut out a section so when looking from the side it looks like a C. The flat part stabilizes on the helmet and shock cord is what I use to connect it to the helmet. I once used a medical tape roll as the mount, really anything semi round will work well. After tomorrow's ride play around a bit and you will find something.

A piece of advice for night riding is to always have at least one backup strobe with you just in case. My light suddenly died the other night as I was prepping for a ride, if I had been stuck miles in the middle of nowhere without a backup my situation could have gotten bad real quick. Welcome to the night life!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Riding with just a bar light is fine though helmet and bar is better. Many years ago I did a couple 24 races. I only had a 10W halogen on the bars. That worked well enough to let me ride night laps within 6 minutes of my day laps on a 12 mile lap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a helmet and bar light. 90% of my night rides I use only the bar light just to save time getting ready and getting out. With a nice bright light on the bars I feel fine riding most trails. I only go with two lights if I'm going to be descending technical singletrack and want to go fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I and the group I ride with use a Wide Angle Light on the bars and a spot light on the helmet. We have found that combination the wide angle light allows for good light immediately in fromt of the bike and the spot allows for down the road vision and switchback vision. Also with 2 lights there is redundancy if one light fails. Been there with one light that failed. That made for a long slow ride out of the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatt View Post
    Does everyone use helmet lights, or are there good lights that attach to the bike frame?
    I started with just a bar light, but soon discovered that an helmet light is essential, you need the light where you eyes are looking, and unfortunately with a bar light it is just in front of your wheel, great when going straight but not so go on twisty single tracks!
    If I had to take only one, I would go for the helmet one, but you do realy do need both!
    SR59

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Here is a photo of ST Cycler from Jetbeam on my lid.